New York sacrificing its heritage and unique flair - an affront to its grand historical cityscape? Dumb York? - Page 36 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > Classic Architecture

Classic Architecture Discussions on heritage buildings, monuments and landmarks.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 30th, 2018, 01:20 PM   #701
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 72304

ESB in threat of getting trumped!

Bad news coming along for the area around Empire State Building, NY's main landmark tower. A huge tower designed by BIG Bjarke Ingels (known for crazy, solitar designs spitting on classical buildings around) is in the pipeline. I think it's finally time to create a protected zone around (and Chrysler, Woolworth and some others like the Central Park rows):

"In October, the developer filed plans with the DOB for a 34-story [551'], 301,167-square-foot office tower on the site, which sits between Fifth and Sixth avenues.

But those plans, sources say, were merely filed to keep the approval process rolling with DOB. Sources said HFZ’s true plan is to build a tower double that size."

https://therealdeal.com/issues_artic...ing-to-pieces/

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 30th, 2018, 01:21 PM   #702
erbse
LIBERTINED

At the same time, let's not forget about the good things coming along in NYC:

The Chamberlain NYC

Source: https://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/marke...de-condo/15461

Old January 30th, 2018, 01:24 PM   #703
erbse
LIBERTINED

If you design a box for NYC, at least give it some setback/s and nice facade structure!
Simple but solid and clearly contemporary:

Noho - 363 Lafayette Street NYC

https://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/marke...way-noho/15504

rbrome on yimby https://www.cityrealty.com

Old January 30th, 2018, 01:32 PM   #704
erbse
LIBERTINED

Example for a redesign that fits its neighborhood better than the initial design: 1010 Park Avenue Tower next to neogothic church

In other great news, a new tower next to a church at Park Avenue integrates quite alright (though a more refined facade structure could even improve this):

1010 Park Avenue - 19 January 2018

by Tectonic on yimbyforums

Two months ago:

by Tectonic on yimbyforums

The project:

Obviously the (our?) public outrage made a much more pleasant and harmonious design possible
at 1010 Park Avenue. I mean, remember this piece of junk there?

Old February 4th, 2018, 09:06 PM   #705
wakka12

Likes (Received): 3319

God thats so sad about some of the historic buildings being demolished for little to no reason?? I really thought that wasn't a common thing in the western world anymore, but apparently not

I wish all these pretty buildings could be in Dublin!
Here these are protected..

Crazy they protect such a crumbling ruin!
But a developer restored it then

These too! LOL..extreme example..Really no idea why these two were protected..usually the protected buildings have merit, maybe an important historical figure or event are tied to the ruins. But its nice that they did protect them as the city council restored them to this

but yeh conservation bodies who are very powerful here protect basically everything from georgian period. And I think they only gave conservation status to 5 buildings from after 1945 hehe I never knew but ireland seems to have one of the most strict conservation laws in the world, never appreciated it until I read threads like this. Heart breaking stuff. Sadly that strict conservation status is wasted on a very small country with not that many historical buildings, as it was really poor throughout history. I doubt more than tiny handful of historic buildings of any merit have been demolished here since 1990.
These two things would have been demolished in two seconds flat if they were in london or new york..and they can become nice buildings with a little TLC.

Last edited by wakka12; February 4th, 2018 at 09:18 PM.
wakka12 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2018, 02:42 PM   #706
erbse
LIBERTINED

856 Washington Avenue - classical bank building torn down for cashcow tower

WTF? Why would you tear down a classical beauty like Capital One Bank at Green Point for such a faceless, bland midrise tower? They could have easily integrated the well-kept old facade into the new project!

Heritage protection still is a disgrace in NYC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca9A8M View Post
856 Washington Avenue

The project:

Before:

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post145795857

Old March 1st, 2018, 11:40 PM   #707
wakka12

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
WTF? Why would you tear down a classical beauty like Capital One Bank at Green Point for such a faceless, bland midrise tower? They could have easily integrated the well-kept old facade into the new project!

Heritage protection still is a disgrace in NYC!

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post145795857
Damn you gotta be kidding me?
American heritage preservation doesnt seem to have progressed much since the 60's it seems
Old March 2nd, 2018, 04:43 PM   #708
meetthestreet

Likes (Received): 65

so awful to see beautiful Beaux-Art structure demolished. OTOH, if they had incorporated it into a new building, good liklihood that an overwhelming modern addition towering over it would have just insulted the gracious older remnant. Result: almost as distasteful as demolition.
meetthestreet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2018, 08:56 PM   #709
hateman

Likes (Received): 2815

What a shame. The Brooklyn Museum is right down the street from there, so the neighborhood loses a little more Beaux-Arts character and cohesion.

As developing Brooklyn becomes more profitable, this will happen a lot more due to unscrupulous bottom feeders. Here's another one, 123 Linden Blvd:

Before:
https://goo.gl/maps/Cm8AWtgoLgy

After:
https://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/prosp...oulevard/77403
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill

City Cityzen, erbse liked this post
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2018, 12:01 PM   #710
wakka12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateman View Post
What a shame. The Brooklyn Museum is right down the street from there, so the neighborhood loses a little more Beaux-Arts character and cohesion.

As developing Brooklyn becomes more profitable, this will happen a lot more due to unscrupulous bottom feeders. Here's another one, 123 Linden Blvd:

Before:
https://goo.gl/maps/Cm8AWtgoLgy

After:
https://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/prosp...oulevard/77403
What . the . ****
What buildings are even protected in new york if this example and the beaux arts one in brooklyn aren't? How do they even decide? These were two undeniably beautiful buildings in good condition too. This is just pretty surreal to see this happening, I don't think that would happen in any european country to my knowledge. Possibly england on rare occassion, but thats it.

Its just heart breaking to see a country have so little respect for a wealth of historical beauty that other countries would protect and take pride in

erbse, kidneybanker liked this post
Old March 4th, 2018, 01:48 PM   #711
ValterPravnik
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1920

why dont they build the new skyscrapers at a new place instead of demolishing the old beauties

kidneybanker liked this post
ValterPravnik no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2018, 10:32 AM   #712
erbse
LIBERTINED

Lol, some people... Luckily even super-capitalist NYC isn't ruled by such ignorant folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanghainese View Post
Erbse, New York does not need a monument. That's the only reason why this city is so vital. One should abolish the monument protection worldwide. It is a planned economic policy construct that hinders the development of a city. It needs free markets for everything that has to do with building and architecture. Every state intervention is communist and resembles the model of a Soviet Union. The US can not become a Soviet Union and certainly not New York. You are calling for a National Monument Preservation that eliminates the freedom of the individual, as represented by Thomas Jefferson. That's not okay with you. You should learn more about the difference between freedom and bondage.

In general, you fall here negative with your apparent-objective ideas, what is a right and what a false architecture. With this behavior, you deny that people are individuals and value things individually, meaning subjectively. You act as if your taste is almighty and you have problems accepting diversity and individuality. At least you constantly stand against everything that does not correspond to the likeness of your taste. Learn to accept something. It does not need a monument protection, nor does it need a world that consists entirely of your taste. It is good that there are many approaches and that not everyone likes it, but there is a property right that allows different tastes to find their built expression. Perhaps you like imperial cities that will not change for a thousand years. I find something so boring and think it's good if they are partially demolished, so that new approaches get space. But all in accordance with the principles of the free market economy and capitalism. That is why a national monument protection or an architectural law is forbidden as it would have pleased the emperor.
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post145884735

All he said there is wrong on any thinkable level. I'm a vergent liberal-libertarian myself, but for every system there needs to be rules. You wouldn't be here without any, pal. And valuable art needs and deserves protection, as mankind deserves protection of its creations! Everything else is hostile to mankind and its development as a whole. Every development needs meaning after all. What would your world without any monuments mean after all? Would you even tear down Empire State and Chrysler Building, Statue of Liberty? I'm sure these grounds could be developed to be "more efficient", but you know, there's more to life than crude efficiency! Guess you're still very young and searching for meaning yourself though.

We all know where the ignorance and denial of history and culture has led us in the 20th century: destruction, war, poverty; the establishment of low income ghettos and brutal anti-human places after WW2, huge waste of resources, etc. This also is a matter of the sustainable use of resources.

People finally need to learn their lessons from history! Without our history, there's no bright future. And without monuments of human development, without roots, there's no base to grow altogether, no common ground. No places of beauty and human connection to mankind's nature. In Shainghainese's or Suburbanist's world, we're all doomed to become soulless zombies without purpose and sense. I can't even grasp how anyone on Earth can long for such a dystopic world, or maybe they're just trolling us.

Or maybe just a trial in author writing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by droneriot View Post
I always love Shanghainese's posts, on the same level I love reading David Icke. I see a lot of talent for writing really interesting bizarre alternate reality fiction there.

wakka12, Titan Man liked this post

Last edited by erbse; March 6th, 2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old March 6th, 2018, 04:52 PM   #713
wakka12

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Lol, some people... Luckily even super-capitalist NYC isn't ruled by such ignorant folks.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post145884735

All he said there is wrong on any thinkable level. I'm a vergent liberal-libertarian myself, but for every system there needs to be rules. You wouldn't be here without any, pal. And valuable art needs and deserves protection, as mankind deserves protection of its creations! Everything else is hostile to mankind and its development as a whole. Every development needs meaning after all. What would your world without any monuments mean after all? Would you even tear down Empire State and Chrysler Building, Statue of Liberty? I'm sure these grounds could be developed to be "more efficient", but you know, there's more to life than crude efficiency! Guess you're still very young and searching for meaning yourself though.

We all know where the ignorance and denial of history and culture has led us in the 20th century: destruction, war, poverty; the establishment of low income ghettos and brutal anti-human places after WW2, huge waste of resources, etc. This also is a matter of the sustainable use of resources.

People finally need to learn their lessons from history! Without our history, there's no bright future. And without monuments of human development, without roots, there's no base to grow altogether, no common ground. No places of beauty and human connection to mankind's nature. In Shainghainese's or Suburbanist's world, we're all doomed to become soulless zombies without purpose and sense. I can't even grasp how anyone on Earth can long for such a dystopic world, or maybe they're just trolling us.

Or maybe just a trial in author writing:
Why even waste your breath on him? Anyone who thinks heritage preservation is wrong isn't grounded in reality. One of humanity's most beautiful and defining characteristics that sets us apart from animals is our ability to appreciate the culture and history of our deceased ancestors, it is for this reason that human culture was ever even able to develop, we learned to invent things based on precedent set by those before us. By the heritage they left behind, be it literature music writing music architecture photography, it allowed us to learn from them and develop further.

And another reason to preserve heritage is simply for to maintain any sort of aesthetic harmony in our cities as quite frankly modern buildings look like utter dogshit compared to our ancestors

erbse, kidneybanker liked this post
Old March 6th, 2018, 09:27 PM   #714
Ypenhof
Ypenhof

Likes (Received): 684

An appeal to ditch monument protection worldwide and give unlimited freedom for the market? That's why all those East-Asian cities have become so beautiful and diverse in the past decades...

"Een bouwmeester moet vóór alles artist zijn"
Willem Kromhout Czn. (1864-1940)

wakka12, kidneybanker liked this post
Ypenhof no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2018, 12:23 AM   #715
wakka12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ypenhof View Post
An appeal to ditch monument protection worldwide and give unlimited freedom for the market? That's why all those East-Asian cities have become so beautiful and diverse in the past decades...
Yeh exactly. Maybe this concept worked when they built pretty buildings like when Hausmann demolished Paris but monument protection is even more necessary in the age where giant ugly mass produced badly design eyesores are now the 'average' building

TM_Germany, erbse, CNB30, Galro, kidneybanker liked this post
Old March 7th, 2018, 10:04 PM   #716
CNB30
centralnatbankbuildingrva

Likes (Received): 884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ypenhof View Post
An appeal to ditch monument protection worldwide and give unlimited freedom for the market? That's why all those East-Asian have become so beautiful and diverse in the past decades...
This is why I'm basically anti-libertarian. We live in sickening times with disgusting designs that are the result of social and moral decay, and the market only makes things worse. We NEED to protect what is still beautiful in this world and any means justify that end. Anybody who appreciates those modernist nightmares being put up needs to have their head checked as well.

Buildings Built Pre 1910>>>Post 1910

Ornament is no crime, it's an obligation.

Follow "Dank Historic Architecture memes for Premodern Teens" on Facebook

erbse, TheLastGentleman liked this post
CNB30 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2018, 06:57 AM   #717
Manitopiaaa
Illuminati Leader

Location: Alexandria, Nova, The Crown Commonwealth of Virginia (see sig)
Likes (Received): 10971

Landmark Preservation Commission Designates Hotel Seville and The Emmet Building as Protected Landmarks

Quote:
NEW YORK – Today, the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) designated two historic buildings in Manhattan's Madison Square North neighborhood as individual landmarks: Hotel Seville, now the James NoMad Hotel, at 22 East 29th Street and the Emmet Building at 95 Madison Avenue. These two historic buildings represent the neighborhood's evolution from affluent residential blocks to a bustling commercial and business district.

"I am thrilled the Commission voted to designate both Hotel Seville and the Emmet Building," said Landmarks Preservation Commission Chair Meenakshi Srinivasan. "These elegant buildings are not only distinctive and exemplary on their own, but together they represent an era of change and development in the area north of Madison Square during the early 20th century. Their location across the street from each other reinforces this intersection as a reminder of the architectural exuberance of their historic period."
http://www1.nyc.gov/site/lpc/about/pr2018/030618.page

These buildings are right by each other: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7446...7i13312!8i6656

There is a supertall going up soon one block from here (262 5th Ave), so there is definitely a need to start aggressively landmarking all the gems in this area.

Atlanta (6,700,650) - Boston (8,233,270) - Chicago (9,901,711) - Cleveland (3,601,729) - Dallas (7,800,952) - Denver (3,515,374) - Detroit (5,336,286) - Houston (7,078,523)
Los Angeles (18,788,800) - Miami (6,863,649) - Minneapolis (3,968,551) - New York (23,035,605) - Orlando (3,998,092) - Philadelphia (7,206,807) - Phoenix (4,790,771)
Portland (3,201,058) - San Diego (3,337,685) - San Francisco (9,658,361) - Seattle (4,764,736) - Tampa (3,091,399) - Washington (9,763,116)

Last edited by Manitopiaaa; March 9th, 2018 at 07:03 AM.
Manitopiaaa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2018, 01:40 PM   #718
wakka12

Good to see them protected but such incredibly beautiful ornate buildings and monuments of human achievement from when we had to hand lay bricks on such impressively large buildings should always be protected, it shouldn't even be up for discussion whether these buildings should be protected or not

erbse, TM_Germany, kidneybanker liked this post
Old March 13th, 2018, 04:45 PM   #719
erbse
LIBERTINED

Absolutely with you here wakka! This should be an implicit matter of course to protect such gems, sadly in NYC it is not (yet).
That's why I just had to open this thread. We can see it's slowly improving though, luckily.

Old March 14th, 2018, 08:02 PM   #720
erbse
LIBERTINED

The Interactive Map Service of the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) is a powerful tool
for everyone who's in love with the heritage of NYC and the whole United States:

https://www.nps.gov/maps/full.html?m...9-a99909164466

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
nyc photos