JAPAN | Railways - Page 116 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Railways

Railways (Inter)national commuter and freight trains

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 12th, 2018, 05:10 PM   #2301
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 413

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.k.jetcar View Post
Earlier this month, it was reported that either the MLIT or JR Hokkaido has proposed a rebuilding/relocation of the Shin Chitose Airport railway station. The current stub end terminal with one island platform will be replaced with a through configuration with three platforms and four tracks. This arrangement will allow ltd. express trains off the Chitose and Sekisho Lines to directly access the airport terminals. The center two tracks will be stubs, to accommodate the rapid trains running between the airport and Sapporo/Otaru. No details yet on possibility of approval and timetable of construction to opening.

Track diagrams of current and proposed layout:
https://news.mynavi.jp/photo/article...mages/001l.jpg

Alternative diagram, more technical, taken from a construction industry newspaper:
https://twitter.com/sawady_vzc01042/...30884297850883
Interesting. Would it be possible to repurpose these old platforms for a shinkansen extension from Sapporo Station? :P

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 16th, 2018, 10:36 AM   #2302
RyukyuRhymer
普通モデレーター Moderator

Likes (Received): 6797

cross posting from the Japan section:

Hey guys! I just received an email from JR and will test ride the Maglev train in summer!

if you have any request for information or specific pics, let me know and I'll see what I can do on that day!

ko7, saintm, Kasukabe, Bkmn liked this post
RyukyuRhymer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2018, 10:31 AM   #2303
Short

Likes (Received): 199

JR West plan new concept for long distance services on revamped 117 Series trains.

JR West Japanese Language Press Release

Quote:

JR West unveils new Japanese long distance train with special features for passengers
Oona McGee
SoraNews
24th May 2018

This is an extra special rail experience, even by Japanese standards.

We’ve always had a soft spot for Japanese trains, but now there’s a new addition to the rails that’s set to blow everyone away, with stylish interiors, private rooms, bunk beds and break areas designed to provide optimal comfort for long-journey passengers.

Designed by West Japan Railway Company as part of their 2022 Middle Management Project, the new train is a six-carriage remodelled 117 series with all-reserved seating for 90 passengers. The interior design will be based around three themes: Diversity, Casual, and Comfort.

Each carriage will feature a different setup, to cater for passengers with different requirements. In the second carriage, there will be reserved seating for the exclusive use of women, with a bright interior, comfortable chairs, and plenty of leg room.

The third carriage will have private compartments, where travelling families can relax with their small children. Furnished with a mat that can be used as either a seat or a mattress, these private spaces will be a godsend for parents on long journeys.

The fourth carriage will be set up as a “free space area”,with tables, booths and an open-plan design.

The first and sixth carriages will be designated “green cars”, which offer a more luxurious style of seating. In the first carriage there will be booth-style seats that can be adjusted to form a bed, so you can enjoy a snooze anytime of the day or night.

The sixth car will offer even more luxury, with private rooms that can be set up in a number of different styles, according to your needs.

The fifth carriage will have dormitory-style rooms fitted out with fixed flat beds.

The new long-distance train is set to operate from Keihanshin (the metropolitan area of Kyoto, Osaka and Kobe) out to the San’in and Sanyo districts in Japan’s southwest. Scheduled to make its debut in the spring of 2020, the train will be ready in time to welcome visitors to the country for the 2020 Olympics.

Original SoraNews Article
Short no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2018, 12:51 PM   #2304
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

New trains for Shinano Railway

Shinano Tetsudō (Shinano Railway) announced this week the acquisition of new train sets based on E129 series that runs on Niigata Area.

The new material will debut on summer 2020.

Shinano Railway is a third sector company in Nagano and have services in two lines:

Shinano Railway Line, 65 km between Karuizawa and Shinonoi
Shinano Railway Kita-Shinano Line, 37 km betweem Nagano and Myōkō-Kōgen

Some sectors pass through the Shinetsu Main Line.

New trains will incorporate two types of seats configuration (like some of the new trains in private railways in Tokyo) used as company wants depending the hour of the day.

https://news.mynavi.jp/article/20180531-shinanorailway/

Shinano Railway uses 115 series ex-JR:

pikoc89 liked this post
Sr.Horn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2018, 10:05 PM   #2305
sacto7654

Likes (Received): 292

I'm not surprised. While Shinano Railway could keep the 115 Series going by scrounging parts from retired 115 Series train sets from JR East and JR West, the high power usage of the 115's compared to the E129 explains why Shinano Railway to get the equivalent of the E129 in 2020.
sacto7654 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2018, 10:54 PM   #2306
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

A new NHK Begin Japanology about the Regional Transport Crisis in Japan:

For decades, rail was the dominant form of transport for both people and freight in Japan. But while trains and subways still enjoy healthy ridership in Japan's urban centers, regional rail is another story. Competing forms of transportation like cars, buses, and airplanes, plus Japan's shrinking population—and concentration of the population in major cities—means regional rail lines are facing a crisis. We dive into the details of that crisis, and what rail companies are doing to combat it.

Short, Mischk, pikoc89 liked this post
Old July 12th, 2018, 06:43 PM   #2307
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 8115

"10 rail sections out of service for over a month in flood-hit region"

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201807120037.html

"A bridge remains collapsed in the Misasagawa river between Shirakiyama Station and Karuga Station on the JR Geibi Line in Hiroshima’s Asakita Ward on July 11. (Takaharu Yagi)"

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/ph...712002938.html

JR Geibi Line will be out for nearly a year.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 04:39 AM   #2308
sacto7654

I think JR West will make it a high priority to re-open the San'yo Main Line between Tokuyama and Kasaoka Stations as soon as possible.
Old July 15th, 2018, 10:56 AM   #2309
Sr.Horn
té con pastas member

Sayonara Odakyu 7000 series LSE

The last set was retired on 10 July 2018 after it was used on the Home Way No. 83 service. An special party was held on Odakyu's Shinjuku Terminal.

The Odakyu 7000 series LSE enter in service in December 1980 and it was the third generation of "Romancecar" limited express family.

Evidently, such a legendary train, with its Blue Ribbon Prize (1981) had a big goodbye at the Odakyu terminal in Shinjuku:

Source: https://news.mynavi.jp/article/20180710-lse7000/

Quilmeño89, Mojito liked this post
Old July 16th, 2018, 04:33 AM   #2310
sacto7654

The sad news is that Odakyu has already cut up the LSE 7000 train set for scrap.
Old July 17th, 2018, 03:59 PM   #2311
RyukyuRhymer
普通モデレーター Moderator

Likes (Received): 6797

cross posting from our section..

Today I was able to attend a meeting on rail reconstruction which included the former presidents and managers from Sanriku Railways (mainly running in Iwate and Aomori Prefectures) as well as JR East among others.

Here are some pictures of the presentation I took (or was allowed to take) of their presentation. Most of these are public information by now

A timeline of what happened after the 2011 tsunami and the trains

Background on Sanriku Railways (with some JR East lines in the map). Whats interesting to note is that the company was profitable the first 10 years since emerging from the break up of JNR, but has been running in the red since. A big factor is the declining population

Before and After pic. Note that in the before pic, there are sea walls in the background and tons of trees to act as a breakwater, but all of that gone

The general agenda of the rail companies there is that they are arguing why Rail is preferable over road/highways. Its faster, more reliable, punctual, cheaper to maintain than roads, needed by the largely aging society and the school children to commute, etc.
This is a big topic since there are some areas that have been converted to bus use

Sr.Horn, TM_Germany, Bkmn, AsHalt liked this post
RyukyuRhymer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2018, 08:54 AM   #2312
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 339

JR East orders 745 EMU cars for Tokyo suburban services
It's not the article itself that is caught my attention, but an interesting difference in the way orders are presented. If it had been a European order the article would have only stated an order for 51 11-car and 46 4-car sets, instead of an order for 745 cars. Anybody knows where this difference comes from?
Old September 6th, 2018, 01:34 PM   #2313
luacstjh98

It's probably just a difference in phrasing. "51 11-car sets and 46 4-car sets" is a mouthful anyway.

On a related note, any idea why the E217 has a door at the front and not these new E235s? I always thought the front door on the E217 was for emergency evacuation in the tunnels around Tokyo Station (like on subway through-running)...

Old September 7th, 2018, 10:54 AM   #2314
loefet

Likes (Received): 249

Could be that they don't have a final rendering of this version of the train with potential door, but instead use a recolored versions of the Yamanoteline E235s instead.
We just have to wait and see.

starrwulfe liked this post
loefet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2018, 01:06 PM   #2315
k.k.jetcar

Likes (Received): 501

Quote:
Anybody knows where this difference comes from?
Ask the headline writer at IRJ. FWIW the breakdown of the order is detailed in the article body.

Interestingly, this order will signal the end of box seating on the Yokosuka Line- all non-Green car seating will be longitudinal. A definite comfort downgrade for people travelling long distances, for example from Chiba Prefecture to Kamakura on a weekend. I suppose JR-E expects those people to buy green car tickets. Apparently the rush hour conditions are the prime concern, with 191% loadings between Musashi Kosugi and Nishi-Ooi in the AM commute.
k.k.jetcar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2018, 01:41 PM   #2316
luacstjh98

Do we know if the main crowding is already from Yokohama/Kamakura, or are they changing from Tokyu/Nambu Line at Musashi-Kosugi?

I wonder if the upcoming Sotetsu-JR and Sotetsu-Tokyu connections will help with that.

Old September 12th, 2018, 01:53 PM   #2317
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 339

Quote:
... with 191% loadings ...
What is considered 100% loading? All seats used (guess not)? Or all seats + an x amount of people per square meter of floor space?
Old September 12th, 2018, 04:37 PM   #2318
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
What is considered 100% loading? All seats used (guess not)? Or all seats + an x amount of people per square meter of floor space?
All seats occupied and standees have a strap to hang on to. Still quite roomy.
https://soranews24.com/2014/09/07/th...nd-nagoya-are/
Old September 12th, 2018, 04:41 PM   #2319
k.k.jetcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by luacstjh98 View Post
Do we know if the main crowding is already from Yokohama/Kamakura, or are they changing from Tokyu/Nambu Line at Musashi-Kosugi?

I wonder if the upcoming Sotetsu-JR and Sotetsu-Tokyu connections will help with that.
Some get off at Yokohama, but still more get on there. Basically the stretch from Musashi Kosugi is where the loadings are greatest as many commuters get on there (Musashi Kosugi is a popular bedroom community), and its the last stretch before entering Tokyo and the pax get off first in large numbers at Shinagawa.
Old September 13th, 2018, 03:58 AM   #2320
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 186

Quote:
Ask the headline writer at IRJ. FWIW the breakdown of the order is detailed in the article body.

Interestingly, this order will signal the end of box seating on the Yokosuka Line- all non-Green car seating will be longitudinal. A definite comfort downgrade for people travelling long distances, for example from Chiba Prefecture to Kamakura on a weekend. I suppose JR-E expects those people to buy green car tickets. Apparently the rush hour conditions are the prime concern, with 191% loadings between Musashi Kosugi and Nishi-Ooi in the AM commute.
I've experienced that crush many times.

Typically you will have two lines 15-20 people deep at every door at Musashi Kosugi - even at the very ends of a 15 car train. The interchange with the Nanbu line isn't the most convenient, so I feel the majority are commuting from the cluster of 30-45 storey manshon blocks surrounding the station.

In the end I used to take the Tokyu from Yokohama instead as it was (very marginally) better and I could avoid the Ginza line hell at Shimbashi.
Advertisement