Baltimore Development News - Page 2373 - SkyscraperCity
 

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Northeast and MidAtlantic > Local Forums > Baltimore / Washington DC


Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 13th, 2018, 01:18 AM   #47441
bwhite
Brian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,017
Likes (Received): 686

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
Is the orange building on the left the Baltimore Sun building? And what are the plans for the Baltimore Sun building in all this? Will it remain? Or be replaced?
Itís not an arena if thatís what youíre asking (I had the same idea originally) haha. Yes it is the sun building. From what I remember the sun signed a long term lease so they will be there for a while. It will be replaced in the future(phase 3 or 4) I believe.
bwhite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old September 13th, 2018, 03:07 AM   #47442
Joakim3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 620
Likes (Received): 489

Time to start playing on sketch up lol
__________________

StevenW, BaltimoreFan liked this post
Joakim3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2018, 04:19 AM   #47443
BaltimoreFan
Registered User
 
BaltimoreFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 725
Likes (Received): 579

Haha I was thinking the same thing!!

If you wanna share models let me know.
BaltimoreFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2018, 05:52 AM   #47444
micrip
Registered User
 
micrip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,227
Likes (Received): 1221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
Is the orange building on the left the Baltimore Sun building? And what are the plans for the Baltimore Sun building in all this? Will it remain? Or be replaced?
That's the old Sam's Club building, which will eventually be demolished. Probably after UA constructs the new campus.

I really like the mix of architectural styles, BTW.

When you look at the render of the overall site, Chapter One represents 10% of the total, if that. This thing is huge!
__________________
Baltimore...Propensity for Density
micrip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2018, 02:31 PM   #47445
bwhite
Brian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,017
Likes (Received): 686

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
That's the old Sam's Club building, which will eventually be demolished. Probably after UA constructs the new campus.

I really like the mix of architectural styles, BTW.

When you look at the render of the overall site, Chapter One represents 10% of the total, if that. This thing is huge!
[/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/29Wt32o]

It is definitely the Sun building and not the Sam's Club. Sam's Club is south on the future campus of UA.
__________________

BaltimoreFan liked this post
bwhite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 12:26 AM   #47446
Bmore10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 159
Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcszar View Post



I sometimes wonder if the reason smaller midrise properties thrive in the cities above is that a robust transit system (and maybe something in the zoning and building codes?) makes smaller-scale renovation without parking (or even just regular low-market leasing/renting without parking) profitable, while here that's less practical, so we're more reliant on megastructures with parking (or megastructures behind preservation facadism, like the Park Avenue proposal), just like sunbelt cities with lackluster transit.
.
You hit the nail on the head. Its transit. Most conservatives think that all these people supporting transit are just fascinated by trains or something. Nothing could be further from the truth. Transit in any city likely drops people off 3-4 blocks from their destination. Then the walk and make these smaller shops viable. The amount of retail alive in Philadelphia is absolutely incredible. Almost every single block between Lombard St and Race st has storefront retail. Baltimore can't support retail even on Fleet in Fells Point or Cathedral in Mt Vernon. Get out of your cars ppl...
__________________

lmshertz, BaltimoreFan, marcszar liked this post
Bmore10 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 05:35 AM   #47447
PeterwD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 634
Likes (Received): 256

The main 2017 Census data sets came out this morning. What this group will probably be most interested that number of housing units declined by about 2,600 over two years. The loss of housing units is puzzling because the ACS total units in multi-family buildings has dropped by 5K during the same period that 3.6K new multi-family units have come on line over the past two years. That difference of 8.6K is well outside the margin of error even if you factor in a few demolitions of multi-family buildings.

There is more information in the Baltimore Stats thread.
__________________

marcszar liked this post
PeterwD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 07:41 AM   #47448
Joakim3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 620
Likes (Received): 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrip View Post
That's the old Sam's Club building, which will eventually be demolished. Probably after UA constructs the new campus.

I really like the mix of architectural styles, BTW.

When you look at the render of the overall site, Chapter One represents 10% of the total, if that. This thing is huge!
Chapter 1 is roughly 20% of the total PC development lol. PC is being done in 4 phases while the U/A HQ will be built in tandem
Joakim3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 03:46 PM   #47449
osfan24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 559
Likes (Received): 312

Renderings look ok for PC, but timeline seems far away still. They sure are dragging their feet. I understand they want to go shorter near the water to preserve water view for everyone, but unless they build really tall near 95, the view to the north is going to be of 95. Or if they build really tall to the north, there won't be any views of downtown. Either way, seems like it's a silly thing to worry about.
osfan24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 05:26 PM   #47450
murfneil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 288
Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by osfan24 View Post
Renderings look ok for PC, but timeline seems far away still. They sure are dragging their feet. I understand they want to go shorter near the water to preserve water view for everyone, but unless they build really tall near 95, the view to the north is going to be of 95. Or if they build really tall to the north, there won't be any views of downtown. Either way, seems like it's a silly thing to worry about.
I think that unless you're inside one of those tall buildings abutting 95, your view is intended to be directed away from downtown, towards the water.
murfneil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 05:34 PM   #47451
Coldspring
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,165
Likes (Received): 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreFan View Post
I think this image from The Sun's article might be a higher resolution:

So this rending looks like Phase I.. which is cool but hopefully not as far as it gets. The rest of PC seems very ambitious.

I don't see any connectivity between PC in general and the Cruise Terminal.. which would be a real shame... I guess most cruise travelers want to get on the boat and get on down the Chesapeake as opposed to hang out pre or post cruise.
Coldspring no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 06:15 PM   #47452
NortheastBmore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 167
Likes (Received): 141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldspring View Post
So this rending looks like Phase I.. which is cool but hopefully not as far as it gets. The rest of PC seems very ambitious.

I don't see any connectivity between PC in general and the Cruise Terminal.. which would be a real shame... I guess most cruise travelers want to get on the boat and get on down the Chesapeake as opposed to hang out pre or post cruise.
No connectivity to the cruise terminal and no reference to the planned light rail extension. Is the expectation that these things will show up in a later phase of construction? I assume that at least referring to this connectivity between PC and transit and the terminal in the plans can only help the developers. Maybe they see the market as softening and just aren't thinking so big anymore. That would be a shame.
NortheastBmore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 07:25 PM   #47453
BaltimoreFan
Registered User
 
BaltimoreFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 725
Likes (Received): 579

Does anybody have any idea what's going on with the hotel conversion of the Jefferson Building at 101 N. Charles St?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.biz...ntown.amp.html

The BBJ article from a year ago said that they would open sometime in 2018, yet every time I pass it it looks like nothing has changed!
BaltimoreFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 08:30 PM   #47454
waj0527
Registered User
 
waj0527's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 2,804
Likes (Received): 739

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreFan View Post
Does anybody have any idea what's going on with the hotel conversion of the Jefferson Building at 101 N. Charles St?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.biz...ntown.amp.html

The BBJ article from a year ago said that they would open sometime in 2018, yet every time I pass it it looks like nothing has changed!
I live nearby and pass it daily. The external work that's been done is mostly cleaning up the facade and staining some areas. They've also cleaned all the windows. Workers are there daily and I've been seeing equipment being delivered for months. It still generally looks a mess at street level but they're working.
__________________

BaltimoreFan, JJHi liked this post
waj0527 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 08:47 PM   #47455
BaltimoreFan
Registered User
 
BaltimoreFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 725
Likes (Received): 579

Quote:
Originally Posted by waj0527 View Post
I live nearby and pass it daily. The external work that's been done is mostly cleaning up the facade and staining some areas. They've also cleaned all the windows. Workers are there daily and I've been seeing equipment being delivered for months. It still generally looks a mess at street level but they're working.
Okay good to hear! I'm glad this is coming along despite he lack of external evidence! My next question would be what are they doing about that dated, fake mid-century coverup of the original facade? It look horrible and really needs to be changed asap.
__________________

pertplus2 liked this post
BaltimoreFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 08:52 PM   #47456
KLynch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: South Baltimore
Posts: 2,746
Likes (Received): 1441

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldspring View Post
So this rending looks like Phase I.. which is cool but hopefully not as far as it gets. The rest of PC seems very ambitious.

I don't see any connectivity between PC in general and the Cruise Terminal.. which would be a real shame... I guess most cruise travelers want to get on the boat and get on down the Chesapeake as opposed to hang out pre or post cruise.
They said at the media briefing that they there are working with their area partners on the spaces between the cruise ship, Key Hwy. and McComas St. to improve the crossings into Port Covington.
__________________
SouthBMore.com
All Things South Baltimore

BaltimoreFan liked this post
KLynch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 09:17 PM   #47457
probaltimore
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 154
Likes (Received): 21

Opening Day 12/21/18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreFan View Post
Okay good to hear! I'm glad this is coming along despite he lack of external evidence! My next question would be what are they doing about that dated, fake mid-century coverup of the original facade? It look horrible and really needs to be changed asap.

Actually it looks like the hotel will open 12/21/18. The hotel is now accepting reservations beyond this date. So, a Christmas gift for downtown indeed.
__________________

BaltimoreFan liked this post
probaltimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 10:15 PM   #47458
BaltimoreFan
Registered User
 
BaltimoreFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 725
Likes (Received): 579

Quote:
Originally Posted by probaltimore View Post
Actually it looks like the hotel will open 12/21/18. The hotel is now accepting reservations beyond this date. So, a Christmas gift for downtown indeed.
Nice find!! I'm excited that this stretch of Fayette is getting some love because there is really some gorgeous architecture between Charles and St. Paul that is overlooked.
BaltimoreFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 10:51 PM   #47459
bwhite
Brian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,017
Likes (Received): 686

Soooo Iím in Boston for the weekend, and itís really depressing how far baltimore is behind these first class cities. Clean, safe, foot traffic everywhere, metro stations everywhere, and ground level retail everywhere. As someone just posted, we can even support retail on aliceanna or Fleet Street in fells. Itís a damn shame.
bwhite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2018, 11:11 PM   #47460
fanofterps
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,309
Likes (Received): 136

Combo of things

I think the 3 reasons we are not like Boston is

1. Not enough Corporate Head Quarters
2. Larger amount of inner city poor people that leads to more crime based on statistics.
3. A lot more prestigious colleges located in the city. Keep hoping the state will expand/pump more dollars into University of Baltimore and expand it. Could it be incorporated in State Center project and Penn Station project?



Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhite View Post
Soooo I’m in Boston for the weekend, and it’s really depressing how far baltimore is behind these first class cities. Clean, safe, foot traffic everywhere, metro stations everywhere, and ground level retail everywhere. As someone just posted, we can even support retail on aliceanna or Fleet Street in fells. It’s a damn shame.

Last edited by fanofterps; September 14th, 2018 at 11:12 PM. Reason: change
fanofterps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 


Reply

Tags
baltimore, development, development summary

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 03:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us