St Martin's Place | Broad Street | Residential/Retail | 17fl | 53m | U/C - Page 14 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Construction Forum

Birmingham Construction Forum Building projects in Birmingham and the Black Country

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 4th, 2019, 12:28 AM   #261
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 5210

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReissOmari View Post
Really cool way of construction.

Well I wish they'd be cool on Connaught then.

rotundazag, Brum X liked this post
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 9th, 2019, 12:19 AM   #262
Bloxwich Stroller

Likes (Received): 1879

Bloxwich Stroller no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2019, 02:25 PM   #263
PerpetualBrum
💙 Birmingham #1

Likes (Received): 15297

PerpetualBrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2019, 05:47 PM   #264
astropa

Likes (Received): 563

Very different construction method to most others, no visible core and the lower floors look almost completed before there is any sign of the floors that will be built above. It’s like it’s built out of giant Lego bricks.
Old November 14th, 2019, 02:45 PM   #265
Kingsheathen
Kingsheathen

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by astropa View Post
Very different construction method to most others, no visible core and the lower floors look almost completed before there is any sign of the floors that will be built above. Itís like itís built out of giant Lego bricks.

I believe itís a similar construction method as was used on Landsdown House and Aston House/Place(? The Dandarra one!). Pre-cast concrete panels delivered to site and grouted together a floor at a time. In this case the concrete panels have got brick slips fixed to the front.
Kingsheathen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2019, 03:30 PM   #266
PerpetualBrum
💙 Birmingham #1

Likes (Received): 15297

Yup yip yep, it's posted earlier in the thread

St Martin's:

Dandara:

filthy1980, Kingsheathen, danjames, BobB1 liked this post
PerpetualBrum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2019, 02:53 AM   #268
RalphGuy

Fourteen floors so only three more to go. Why on earth they were asked to halve the size of their previous proposal is beyond me. Beggars belief.
Old November 23rd, 2019, 10:39 PM   #269
Brum X

Likes (Received): 17937

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
Fourteen floors so only three more to go. Why on earth they were asked to halve the size of their previous proposal is beyond me. Beggars belief.
Maybe they had an objection from a neighbouring tower, Lol

RalphGuy liked this post
Brum X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2019, 10:42 PM   #270
RalphGuy

Does anyone have a half sane idea why this was reduced from somewhere north of 30 storeys down to 17 storeys?
Old November 23rd, 2019, 11:00 PM   #271
Brum X

Quote:
Does anyone have a half sane idea why this was reduced from somewhere north of 30 storeys down to 17 storeys?
If I remember correctly was it not becouse the planning dept described this location as "unsuitable" for a tower so tall on the edge of Broad street ?

And now we have a 61 storey tower in planning opposite ?

The same looney planning dept who gave permission to a 5 storey box at the back of MODA Tower, aka Tennant street lofts, ROFL

RalphGuy, Kingsheathen, nigeman liked this post
Old November 23rd, 2019, 11:10 PM   #272
RalphGuy

So no sanity to their argument whatsoever. I mean, these people have forgotten more about planning law in a day than I've learned in a lifetime and yet they can't see a tall tower here at what is almost the end of Broad Street. Incredible.

Kingsheathen liked this post
Old November 23rd, 2019, 11:33 PM   #273
Brum X

A 17-storey dull building is better than a 30-storey dull building. is what some moron councillor said.

https://www.business-live.co.uk/busi...block-13693146

Kingsheathen liked this post
Old November 24th, 2019, 01:10 AM   #274
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Likes (Received): 796

Quote:
So no sanity to their argument whatsoever. I mean, these people have forgotten more about planning law in a day than I've learned in a lifetime and yet they can't see a tall tower here at what is almost the end of Broad Street. Incredible.
There are too many people on the planning department, usually of a much older generation, that still view Birmingham as a big town rather than a global city (unlike those in Manchester.) Indeed many come from the generation that Theresa Stuart was a part of - the one that told the BBC to go do one when they wanted to relocate their London base somewhere north of Watford.

Whilst I get there are some areas which are architecturally sensitive such as Jewellery Quarter and the area around the town hall for example, Broad Street is most certainly not one of them.

In fact I would suggest to the council planning department that we need more towers, luxury or otherwise in town in order to make the city much more lived in, so that there is consistently life around it to support our retail, to reduce the need for people to travel in by car and to help reduce demand for homes outside of the ring road in order to maintain sensible rental or purchase levels.

The one that got me was some old boy with a moustache and some loony woman in charge of Harbourne ward moaning about the size of company logos (in this particular case, BCU's) on the outside of buildings.

Yet I have lived in Taipei, admittedly double the size of Birmingham, and these don't appear to be a problem for those that go about their daily lives. In fact they seem pretty proud of the likes of Asus, HTC, Acer, Gigabyte, Evergreen (EVA Air) and the likes adorning their logos, and some of those are in smaller cities!

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2019, 01:57 AM   #275
RalphGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon2000 View Post
There are too many people on the planning department, usually of a much older generation, that still view Birmingham as a big town rather than a global city (unlike those in Manchester.) Indeed many come from the generation that Theresa Stewart was a part of - the one that told the BBC to go do one when they wanted to relocate their London base somewhere north of Watford.

Whilst I get there are some areas which are architecturally sensitive such as Jewellery Quarter and the area around the town hall for example, Broad Street is most certainly not one of them.

In fact I would suggest to the council planning department that we need more towers, luxury or otherwise in town in order to make the city much more lived in, so that there is consistently life around it to support our retail, to reduce the need for people to travel in by car and to help reduce demand for homes outside of the ring road in order to maintain sensible rental or purchase levels.

Totally agree Typhoon. The problem in a nutshell. I've said it times before, some of the folk on the planning committee would be more suitable on that of a small town like Bromsgrove.
Old December 1st, 2019, 07:24 PM   #276
Brum X

Old December 1st, 2019, 08:19 PM   #277
ReissOmari
Birmingham - #1

Likes (Received): 15020

This is such a nice development.
ReissOmari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2019, 06:57 AM   #279
Sopwith