Partially guyed TV Towers in Norway - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General discussions > Photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 3rd, 2007, 02:17 PM   #1
Obelixx

Likes (Received): 100

Partially guyed TV Towers in Norway

In Norway some TV towers consist of a free-standing concrete tower as basement with a
mast guyed on the ground on top, similiar to Gerbrandy Tower in Netherlands. As you can see on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partially_guyed_tower towers of this kind are very rarely!

Halden TV Tower, height: 320 metres

Lyngdal TV Tower

Grong TV Tower

Greipstad TV Tower

Does someone know more about these towers?
Obelixx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2007, 02:35 PM   #2
Jarmo K
3:36

Likes (Received): 361

that grong tv tower?!?
it's not real, is it? actually it's from some sci-fi movie, right?!
Old December 3rd, 2007, 02:49 PM   #3
kjetilab
YIMBYer.no

Likes (Received): 295

I've tried to find out some info about the tower in Halden (Hĝyċsmasten), but that's been really hard. In general it's very difficult to find information about masts and towers in Norway.

Our very own Qazaq usually is the guy with the most knowledge in this field I belive.
kjetilab no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2007, 03:45 PM   #4
ĜlandDK
Used User

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmo View Post
that grong tv tower?!?
it's not real, is it? actually it's from some sci-fi movie, right?!
Looks like it's standing at a very ice location

my flickr
ĜlandDK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 05:37 PM   #5
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 2351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oelanddk View Post
Looks like it's standing at a very ice location
Actually, Grong is in my county, about 2 hours drive from me, but masts usually stands on top of mountains inm Norway, so during winter it can look really icy even though its not situated in the most extreme place which looks like the antarctic!

The Hĝiċsmasten TV-transmission (Halden TV Tower) is the second tallest in Norway, following Ingĝy longwave transmitter (360m). But its the tallest partially guyed tower, and probably the second tallest in the world (built in 1980). Basicly, that was all i was able to find about it, which is the same as on Wikipedia!

The mast in Grong, a TV-transmission tower is located in Geitfjellet (Geitfjellet TV og FM-sender), some 872m above sea level (Image 1, Image 2, Image 3). Difficult to find much info about it, exept that the road going up there is owned by Telenor, and the mast is owned by Norkring. The mast was built in 1962 as a radio-transmission tower. Opened as a TV-transmission tower in 1965.

The mast in Lyngdal was built in 1954 as a radio-transmission tower. Opened as a TV-transmission tower in 1969.

The mast in Greipstad was built in 1958 as a radio-transmission tower. Opened as a TV-transmission tower in 1962.

Thats all i was able to find out, its impossible to figure out anything reasonable. If you are interested in more info, like heights, you have to pay the local archieve a visit to figure out something! But what info are you really looking for?

Last edited by Ŝróndeimr; December 3rd, 2007 at 05:42 PM.
Ŝróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 08:06 PM   #6
Obelixx

Height and year of built.

Why are information about towers in Norway so difficult available?

The picture of Grong TV Tower is surely real. I read on the homepage of Statnett that an ice layer approximately 50 centimetres thick on a powerline in Norway was reported!

High icing rates may be not rare in Norway as a result of cold air and wet air.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 09:28 PM   #7
Ŝróndeimr
Adventurous!

Likes (Received): 2351

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelixx View Post
Height and year of built.

Why are information about towers in Norway so difficult available?
You got the years then. But heights are difficult to find, probably because nobody have been interested in their heights, and the companies them self don't put out information about them, so you have to check out the local archieves to figure it out, unless its some very new masts or tall/famous ones (close to large urban centers).
Ŝróndeimr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 02:08 AM   #8
Obelixx

Getting the height would be no problem, if someone can find out a list of airtraffic obstacles in Norway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement