New Court - Rothschild HQ | City of London | 70m | 14 fl - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Completed projects

Completed projects Completed buildings and structures in London

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 26th, 2008, 07:19 PM   #1
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13334

New Court - Rothschild HQ | City of London | 70m | 14 fl

We've known about this tower for a while now. I didn't realise it would be so visible in the skyline though. I've marked the approximate location in blue (hope this is correct) -

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=1387

Work To Begin On New Rothschild HQ

Published on 2008-02-26 by Skyscrapernews.com

Work is soon to begin on what will be the first major building by starchitect Rem Koolhaas in London.

Designed for the august merchant bank, Rothschild, the bespoke 14 storey 69.7 metre tall building will replace their current headquarters at New Court in the City of London, a site they have occupied ever since their arrival in the country when Britain and France faced off against each other in the Napoleonic Wars.

Once completed the scheme will have 20,992 square metres of space within, topped by a distinctive "sky pavilion" that will incorporate a semi-transparent image of the nearby St Stephen Walbrook Church on it mimicking a reflection.

This is intended to be a modernistic reinterpretation of a turret or culpea that breaks the ceiling of the City of London skyline. The top floor of this will be one large room with transparent glazing that will make the interior viewable from the street.

The bulk of the tower will be clad in glazed curtain walls that will have a metal mesh integrated into the glass that combined with the aluminium will give the building a solid metallic feel.

The scheme is being built by Bovis Lendlease who plan a two and a half year schedule from the initial demolition beginning this month, the beginning of piling in July 2008, steelwork in July 2009, cladding in November 2009 and core completion in August 2010.

This will be shortly after the bank celebrates its two hundredth anniversary of setting up shop in London having occupied a mere three headquarters in this period. Operating with that sort of longevity Koolhaas's design should outlive us all.

Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2008, 07:29 PM   #2
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 10809

Very excited about having a Koolhaus in the City. In twenty years or so the city is going to be an architectural students paradise with so many starchitects working within walking distance of each other.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 07:44 PM   #3
Astounded

Likes (Received): 1

At best it's plain, at worst, it's ugly.
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2008, 07:45 PM   #4
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 10497

Now replace Citys worst eyesores with buildings designed by Calatrava Gehry and Hadid and Im happy.
Old February 26th, 2008, 08:05 PM   #5
Manchester Planner
Chief Bureaucrat

Likes (Received): 4

Bit disappointed with the renders - you'd think the Rothschild bankers would want something a bit more, well, "showy". The top is frankly crap.
Manchester Planner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 08:32 PM   #6
fitz44

Likes (Received): 41

Disagree I think the top is the best part! Reminds me of Rachel Whiteread's perspex plinth piece in Trafalgar Square. If they get the proportions right it could look very good seemingly seperated from the body of the building.

Intriqued by this metal mesh glass being used on this and the small replacement building above St Paul's tube station. Anyone seen any buildings where it's been used before? I can only liken it to the wire reinforced glass you find in old school buildings up and down the country designed to hold it together if smashed. Is that one of it's attractions - blast proof?
Old February 26th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #7
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 14

The image/reflection of the church sounds interesting - i can't quite figure out what it will look like though.

I don't know what to think of this one - nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't invoke any opinion in me.....I'm indifferent to it.
Old February 27th, 2008, 01:54 AM   #8
Black Cat

Likes (Received): 1054

This is just tall enough that the upper floors will have amazing panoramic views, but sufficiently low and discreet that it is unlikely to be a target.
Black Cat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:05 AM   #9
Lord Nelson

Likes (Received): 17

Not ugly, not exciting either!
Have already forgotten the name of the building....it's that unimportant
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:39 AM   #10
Salad Fingers

Likes (Received): 0

Looks like a military watch tower to me. An ugly one. Or something that belongs at Heathrow. Either way, it's not exactly attractive/impressive, going by those renders. Surely we can do better than that?
Salad Fingers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 01:31 PM   #11
CrazyMac

Likes (Received): 4

It Really is amazing the crap you can build in London....just as long as it isnt tall.

Im sure it will be made of the highest quality materials etc,etc,etc....but it still looks crap.
CrazyMac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 01:35 PM   #12
DarJoLe

Having a Koolhaas in London quite frankly trumps whatever it looks like to be honest.
Old February 27th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #13
Lord Nelson

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMac View Post
It Really is amazing the crap you can build in London....just as long as it isnt tall.
Exactly! The best summary about the building situation, so far!
Old February 27th, 2008, 02:39 PM   #14
Pompey77
Pompodian in Exile

Likes (Received): 94

Quote:
Having a Koolhaas in London quite frankly trumps whatever it looks like to be honest.
Well thats a ridiculus thing to say most people have never heard of Koolhas and wouldnt care if he builds this or not. All people will see is a crap building.
Pompey77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 03:38 PM   #15
DarJoLe

Yeah, but it isn't a crap building, though, is it. Saying it looks like another glass box shows how little people know of this architect or the structure.

I reckon after this is built it wins an architecture award. Or at least gets nominated for one. I don't think Koolhaas has done one bad building in my opinion.

Last edited by DarJoLe; February 27th, 2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old February 27th, 2008, 03:53 PM   #16
Pompey77
Pompodian in Exile

Likes (Received): 94

But a glass box is a glass box wether its been designed by koolhas or not. People put too much emphasis on names, when it comes down to it the building should be able to speak for itself, this one just cant it needs a big name for people to even give it a seconds thought. It does say alot to me that there have not been any renderings of the actual building so it can be seen for what it is. All ive seen is a few street views primarily showing other (better) buildings.
Pompey77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #17
aclifford

Likes (Received): 140

It's very hard to tell how a building will turn out from renders but I am confident giving his track record that Koolhas will deliver something rather lovely. Buildings are like art in a gallery and I for one love that London is commissioning works from a mix of respected architects. And judging by it's position on the skyline it will add another fine detail to the view from the Southbank. It's all good.
aclifford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 04:58 PM   #18
potto

Likes (Received): 12382

Koolhas understands london, his comments are incredibly intelligent and thoughtful. I see that somewhere in this very bespoke design, so im willing to give this the benefit of the doubt and check it out when its finished.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 07:23 PM   #19
wearethefuture

Likes (Received): 34

Looks like an air traffic control centre on the top.

Last edited by wearethefuture; February 27th, 2008 at 11:20 PM.
wearethefuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 07:42 PM   #20
Manuel

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by potto View Post
Koolhas understands london, his comments are incredibly intelligent and thoughtful. I see that somewhere in this very bespoke design, so im willing to give this the benefit of the doubt and check it out when its finished.
Koolhas hasn't got any clue on how cities work. Masterplanning at OMA often reveals how poor the understanding of space, territorial appropriation and fluidity they are.
Manuel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
koolhaas, oma