STONNINGTON > Sth Yarra, Prahran, Malvern etc... - Page 26 - SkyscraperCity
 

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Victoria


Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old August 5th, 2009, 01:48 PM   #501
skyhigh
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 158
Likes (Received): 0

Uh?

Do you agree then that the National Bank and Country Road on opposite corners vindicates its removal? By the way, saving a facade does not stop progress. I'm sure if you had it your way the Rocks in Sydney would have also been leveled

=John_Proctor;40057032]well said in the last two posts I've read Grollo.

this will be a vast improvement on existing conditions in an area that is marked for major change (Forest Hill precinct) and replacing a building of dubious heritage significance.

this decision doesn't open up further sites to 37 story buildings (or whatever it is) as there are very few precincts in Melbourne where that is encouraged. For instance even in the same suburb/activity centre you couldn't build 37 stories at the corner of High Street and Chapel Street (I think there are a few 10 storey buildings in that area).

People and NIMBY's need to realise that allowing appropriate development potential in specific areas like Activity Centres allows the other areas of Melbourne (the real 'leafy back streets' of detached dwellings) to remain 'untouched' from innapropriate development. If you don't build apartments at this location you end up with more and more multi lot subdivisions in the back streets to cater for housing demand in the inner and middle suburbs.[/QUOTE]
skyhigh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old August 6th, 2009, 04:19 AM   #502
John_Proctor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7,239
Likes (Received): 563

not sure what you mean. obviously you wouldn't remove the rocks. just like you wouldn't remove the Windsor Hotel in Melbourne.

but this is where heritage people get it wrong. you compare something like the Capitol Bakery which might have been 1 in 1000 buildings of similar significance many of which in an area like Richmond have been retained and refurbished into boutique 'warehouse' offices and apartments and compare it to THE ROCKS ie. one of the more historic sites in all of Australia compared to one of the most historic on Toorak Road South Yarra.


Yes the facade is nice - but as a functioning urban design outcome particularly along the dodgy pedestrian 'underpass' and access to the tram stop along the Toorak Road frontage it is sh!tfull (see google link below).
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en...347.29,,0,9.31

Now you could live with it being sh!tty if the building was The Rocks or even the only remaining 19th century warehouse/bakery/industrial building in South Yarra. But this building isn't any of those things and to improve the functionality/design/feel of the area I'm happy for it to go for a good looking, high density building that gives better public realm around the building.


I have no idea what you mean about National Bank and Country Road on the opposite corners vindicating its removal? but...

Country Road building is relatively modern (I may even recall it being built about 15 years ago? - or perhaps that was country road moving in) and the Nab Bank building is part of a few connected shopfronts -- are those shopfronts particularly special? no - would keeping them stop an improved urban design outcome. NO - so if the hypothetical development application came in keeping the shopfronts could/should be attempted at least.

would you approve a 37 storey tower on the east side of Toorak Road - probably not. as that is where you start stepping things down to levels more in keeping with the surroundign neighbourhood (remembering the Fun Factory sites surroundign neighbourhood is Forrest Hill high density area). I'd think 15 stories would be appropriate on either of those sites as the 'half way point' between 37 stories and 8 stories along Chapel Street and Toorak Road outside of that prime corner.
John_Proctor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 03:41 AM   #503
melburn21
flame on.
 
melburn21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 4,885
Likes (Received): 2851

Society, Sth Yarra this morning...









__________________
Happy little Melbournite...
melburn21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2009, 03:47 AM   #504
Dockside
Registered User
 
Dockside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Inner Melbourne
Posts: 3,844
Likes (Received): 150


Looks great rising behind Chapel st..
Dockside no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 03:28 AM   #505
Jack Daniel
Wolf in sheep's clothing
 
Jack Daniel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,075
Likes (Received): 653

Not sure if this has been posted yet...


TUSK

42 Porter Street, Prahran (Melway Reference - 58 : D5, 50 metres from Greville Street) Street View, Map





Brand New 1 Bedroom Apartments, from $148,500


Source http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...did=2007921112
__________________
President Eisenhower
Yet, in holding scientific research and discovery in respect, as we should, we must also be alert to the equal and opposite danger that public policy could itself become the captive of a scientific-technological elite.

Last edited by Jack Daniel; August 14th, 2009 at 03:37 AM.
Jack Daniel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #506
John_Proctor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7,239
Likes (Received): 563

thank Jack. perfect spot for this sort of development.
John_Proctor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 01:50 AM   #507
Meldon
Registered User
 
Meldon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 812
Likes (Received): 384

Obviously the apartments are so tiny everyone has to hang out in the foyer
Meldon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 05:06 AM   #508
Melbourneguy
Registered User
 
Melbourneguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,349
Likes (Received): 1770

I go past this spot just about every day and it has to be one of the most graffitied spots in Prahran.
I bet the outside of that building won't remain as clean as the render suggests.
Melbourneguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 03:12 AM   #509
John_Proctor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7,239
Likes (Received): 563

was thinking that too Meldon. especially given starting price is $148,000.

its right around the corner from Swinburne Uni Prahran so probably student housing which tends to have a common social area provided within the building.
John_Proctor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2009, 03:22 AM   #510
Shumway
Overwatch Nexus
 
Shumway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,851
Likes (Received): 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meldon View Post
Obviously the apartments are so tiny everyone has to hang out in the foyer
lol......

There are a lot of new apartment buildings on that street fronting the train line. Something to watch going up on the way to work..
__________________
Incorrect inform -- ps -cl : attach. Streets clear. No danger.
Shumway no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #511
skyhigh
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 158
Likes (Received): 0

lost in translation....

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Proctor View Post
not sure what you mean. obviously you wouldn't remove the rocks. just like you wouldn't remove the Windsor Hotel in Melbourne.

but this is where heritage people get it wrong. you compare something like the Capitol Bakery which might have been 1 in 1000 buildings of similar significance many of which in an area like Richmond have been retained and refurbished into boutique 'warehouse' offices and apartments and compare it to THE ROCKS ie. one of the more historic sites in all of Australia compared to one of the most historic on Toorak Road South Yarra.


Yes the facade is nice - but as a functioning urban design outcome particularly along the dodgy pedestrian 'underpass' and access to the tram stop along the Toorak Road frontage it is sh!tfull (see google link below).
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en...347.29,,0,9.31

Now you could live with it being sh!tty if the building was The Rocks or even the only remaining 19th century warehouse/bakery/industrial building in South Yarra. But this building isn't any of those things and to improve the functionality/design/feel of the area I'm happy for it to go for a good looking, high density building that gives better public realm around the building.


I have no idea what you mean about National Bank and Country Road on the opposite corners vindicating its removal? but...

Country Road building is relatively modern (I may even recall it being built about 15 years ago? - or perhaps that was country road moving in) and the Nab Bank building is part of a few connected shopfronts -- are those shopfronts particularly special? no - would keeping them stop an improved urban design outcome. NO - so if the hypothetical development application came in keeping the shopfronts could/should be attempted at least.

would you approve a 37 storey tower on the east side of Toorak Road - probably not. as that is where you start stepping things down to levels more in keeping with the surroundign neighbourhood (remembering the Fun Factory sites surroundign neighbourhood is Forrest Hill high density area). I'd think 15 stories would be appropriate on either of those sites as the 'half way point' between 37 stories and 8 stories along Chapel Street and Toorak Road outside of that prime corner.
You have entirely missed my point. It is worth saving. Here is an example of a building that went up in Auckland. They saved what you would consider as a piece of rubbish. But it was decided to incorporate it in the design and it looks great!

skyhigh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2009, 03:59 PM   #512
Dockside
Registered User
 
Dockside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Inner Melbourne
Posts: 3,844
Likes (Received): 150


Nah, get rid of it.
Dockside no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 03:28 AM   #513
John_Proctor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7,239
Likes (Received): 563

sorry skyhigh can't see the pic. I've said it in a number of threads I think my work filter probably blocks out whichever site you host it on.

without seeing the picture I think you're missing my point. I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to keep the building and that if it was kept a nice outcome couldn't be created.

What I'm saying is that in this location improving the pedestrian environment up Toorak Road itself is enough reason to demolish the building and the fact that the building is a 1 in 1000 building not a 1 in 10 building means the 'heritage' value of it isn't significant enough to save it.

like I said go to Richmond and look at the Rosella factories that have been preserved or all the warehouses immediately north of Richmond station converted to apartments or the Glove factory at 488 Victoria Street that is currently for sale after renovations to be used as a corporate headquarters. not to mention North Melbourne and Port Melbourne and some of the buildings down around Greville Street and associated back streets.
John_Proctor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2009, 04:52 PM   #514
skyhigh
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 158
Likes (Received): 0

Richmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Proctor View Post
sorry skyhigh can't see the pic. I've said it in a number of threads I think my work filter probably blocks out whichever site you host it on.

without seeing the picture I think you're missing my point. I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to keep the building and that if it was kept a nice outcome couldn't be created.

What I'm saying is that in this location improving the pedestrian environment up Toorak Road itself is enough reason to demolish the building and the fact that the building is a 1 in 1000 building not a 1 in 10 building means the 'heritage' value of it isn't significant enough to save it.

like I said go to Richmond and look at the Rosella factories that have been preserved or all the warehouses immediately north of Richmond station converted to apartments or the Glove factory at 488 Victoria Street that is currently for sale after renovations to be used as a corporate headquarters. not to mention North Melbourne and Port Melbourne and some of the buildings down around Greville Street and associated back streets.
I lived in Richmond for 6 years so I'm very familiar with the area. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I respect your point of view though.

Have a good weekend
Skyhigh
skyhigh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:33 AM   #515
kichigai
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,189
Likes (Received): 208

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/tow...-1225781791988

$90m tower wins go-ahead despite Melbourne High School bid

MELBOURNE High School has failed in a bid to quash the building of a proposed $90 million tower in South Yarra but is considering legal action.

The Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal has approved construction of a 50m apartment tower, with more than 100 apartments, for the corner of Chapel St and Alexandra Ave.

A City of Stonnington spokeswoman said the permit "significantly scaled back the size of the proposed development".

"This is as good a result as council could have hoped for," she said.

Melbourne High School principal Jeremy Ludowyke said the decision was disappointing.

"I don't know that the general community understanding would be - that a 50m tower is in the same ball park as a 28m tower," he said. "We'll be taking advice from our legal team over the next week or so."

A powerful troupe of Melbourne High old boys, led by tycoon Lindsay Fox, who lands his helicopter on school grounds, had strongly opposed the tower, arguing it would loom above the school's 1927 heritage-listed buildings.

VCAT's ruling is an embarrassment to Planning Minister Justin Madden, who had attempted to impose a 38m height limit on the site, overruling the findings of a taxpayer-funded planning panel that recommended 50m.

But the school and Mr Madden had a minor victory with VCAT senior member Anthony Liston ordering the deletion of the tower's east-west wing to better protect the school's ridgeline.

"It is this observation that has convinced us that a slender, minimally articulated, taller building provides the best solution as a backdrop to Melbourne High School," he said in his ruling.

The costly battle to build the tower has been running for two years at Stonnington Council, the panel and VCAT.

Last June, Mr Madden overruled the Government panel, which found no reason for Melbourne High School to be given special consideration.
kichigai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 01:56 AM   #516
kichigai
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,189
Likes (Received): 208

http://www.realestatesource.com.au/d...ent-tower.html

Dr Turf's Watergrill Restaurant, 300 Toorak Road South Yarra, to be Developed Into Apartment Tower

Monday, 05 October 2009 07:13

FORMER 3AW radio commentator John Rothfield, otherwise known as Dr Turf, will develop a major apartment building on the prominent Watergrill restaurant site in South Yarra.

The sports enthusiast, bookie and author has appointed boutique architect firm Rothelowman to dream a new future for the 1,629 square metre site, which has a 41 metre frontage to Toorak Road, and is on the south-eastern corner of Cunningham Street.

The proposed development is expected to rise no higher than ten levels, and could include more than 100 apartments as well as offices, and ground floor retail, capitalising on the site’s high profile position opposite the Como Centre, and near the busy corner of Chapel Street.

The project is expected to have an end value of more than $70 million.

Mr Rothfield’s development proposal comes three months after the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal approved a $150 million, 38-level, 204-unit apartment building for the Capitol Bakeries site, on the corner of Toorak Road and Chapel Street.

The construction company of Toll Holdings chief executive Paul Little is also proposing apartments for a former ANZ office at 227 – 233 Toorak Road, while several major developments are under construction in the former industrial pocket of South Yarra, immediately east of the train station, and bound by Melbourne High School and Chapel Street.
kichigai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 02:19 AM   #517
John_Proctor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 7,239
Likes (Received): 563

that would be great. would signal the start of the 'flow on' medium rise projects in the surrounds of Forest Hill/Como after the big projects like Fun Factory, Vogue etc with their approvals.
John_Proctor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 07:33 AM   #518
Grollo
Developer
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: melbourne
Posts: 7,250
Likes (Received): 1358

Approved by VCAT at the full 55m and 15 levels:

__________________
https://www.southbankbybeulah.com/
Grollo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 09:06 AM   #519
Mandelbrot
Registered User
 
Mandelbrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 628
Likes (Received): 50

gorgeous!! is it still going to have that multi coloured glass with what looked like a mother of pearl effect? please say yes.
Mandelbrot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #520
Mickeebee
Registered User
 
Mickeebee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,271
Likes (Received): 43

Brilliant news. Sth Yarra is proving more exciting than Docklands and the CBD these days.
Mickeebee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
South Townsville projects Gertzy Regional Queensland 106 June 12th, 2010 03:13 PM
PROJECTS: Southbank/South Melbourne silvermb Archives 593 September 19th, 2007 10:08 AM
South Yarra 22/07/2007 OzFrog City Images, Architecture & Historic themes 16 July 28th, 2007 09:54 PM
MELBOURNE: Inner Melbourne Projects (Carlton, East Melbourne, South Yarra, Richmond) tayser Archives 503 May 29th, 2006 03:03 AM
South Bay projects? CarsonCaliBrotha The South Bay - Gateway Cities 14 February 24th, 2006 10:55 AM


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us