Trying to solve an architectural / literary riddle - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Northeast and MidAtlantic > Local Forums > New York City

New York City » Manhattan | Brooklyn & Staten Island | Queens & Bronx | NYC Suburbs, Long Island & SW CT | photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 30th, 2005, 03:26 PM   #1
AdamD

Likes (Received): 0

Trying to solve an architectural / literary riddle

In the David Bowie song "Thru These Architect's Eyes", the protagonist can be found wandering around what is presumed to be New York City (the girders of babel, the crawling land, the towers of iron) whilst observing the work of two great modern architects, Philip Johson and Richard Rogers.

One line in particular reads:

"Stomping along on this Philip Johnson"

and another:

"Looking across at Richard Rogers"

Furthermore, the concept of this album is somewhat a murder mystery.

So what I am wondering is.......

Is there a spot in New York city from which you can stand in - or on top of - a piece by Philip Johnson and look across to something by Richard Rogers? Or if not NYC, then some other city?

regards,
Adam
AdamD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2005, 09:02 PM   #2
bagel
Member, Winifred Fan Club

Likes (Received): 48

I guess if we want to answer this, we should start by identifying which NYC buildings were designed by Philip Johnson and which were designed by Richard Rogers. Unfortunately I am of no help here.

I am the original thread killer.
bagel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 12:36 AM   #3
firmanhadi
Urban Addict

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamD
Is there a spot in New York city from which you can stand in - or on top of - a piece by Philip Johnson and look across to something by Richard Rogers? Or if not NYC, then some other city?
This could be tricky since Philip Johnson's buildings are mainly in the US, especially NYC and none in London, whilst Richard Rogers's buildings are mainly in Europe, especially London and none in NYC.

So this song can neither be about NYC nor London.

My guess would be... MADRID

Because Philip Johnson designed Puerta de Europa twin towers, and if you're on the rooftop of one of the towers, I suppose you can look toward the New Terminal at Barajas International Airport designed by Richard Rogers.

I prefer drawing to talking. Drawing is faster, and leaves less room for lies -- Le Corbusier

Last edited by firmanhadi; December 1st, 2005 at 12:41 AM.
firmanhadi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement