Yi Sun-Sin Bridge - South Korea - SkyscraperCity

forums map | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > General Developments and Discussions > Bridges

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 30th, 2010, 05:19 PM   #1
tayregoodwin

Likes (Received): 0

Yi Sun-Sin Bridge - South Korea

Hi Everyone,

New to this board and this is my first post.

I have checked through the thread search and cannot see any mention of this bridge, so I wondered if anyone had any news or updates on it's progress.

The only info I have managed to get so far is from Wiki and from an old KBS World website (links below)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yi_Sun-sin_bridge
http://world.kbs.co.kr/english/news/...il.htm?No=3939

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks guys and gals!
tayregoodwin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 30th, 2010, 06:27 PM   #2
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 24129

Where is this bridge exactly? Because Yeosu is noted in that wiki article, which seems to be another place mentioned in that KBS article (Geoju - Masan, just west of Busan).

travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 09:27 AM   #3
tayregoodwin

Well I have also seen an article in Bridge Design and Engineering which states it is in Yeosu and that Daelim are building the bridge. For such a large bridge I'm amazed there is so little coverage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 1st, 2010, 09:42 AM   #4
ruready1000

Likes (Received): 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayregoodwin View Post
Well I have also seen an article in Bridge Design and Engineering which states it is in Yeosu and that Daelim are building the bridge. For such a large bridge I'm amazed there is so little coverage.
http://news.naver.com/main/vod/vod.n...aid=0000017621
http://news.naver.com/main/vod/vod.n...aid=0000156338

These are korean news clips about the completion of Yi Sun-Sin Bridge's main tower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Where is this bridge exactly? Because Yeosu is noted in that wiki article, which seems to be another place mentioned in that KBS article (Geoju - Masan, just west of Busan).
Both local governments, Yeosu-Gwangyang and Geoje-Masan named the bridges Yi Sun-Sin, causing some disputes over it. I tried to search related news about how it's settled but there is no official source, expect that the bridge between Yeosu and Gwangyang might be named Yi Sun-Sin because it will be completed earlier.

Last edited by ruready1000; December 1st, 2010 at 09:57 AM.
ruready1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 10:37 AM   #5
ruready1000

This clip is about bridges being built on south coast of korea. There's short video about Yi Sun-Sin Bridge in the middle of news.
Old December 1st, 2010, 06:05 PM   #6
gramercy
BANNED

Likes (Received): 799

great stuff, reminds me of the japanese bridges to shikoku
gramercy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2010, 04:17 PM   #7
tayregoodwin

Thanks ruready1000! I struggled to find much info at all, there is very little official info which suprises me. It's tabled to be finished for the Expo, which starts in April 2012. With the towers only having just been completed (I believe this is the case anyway) is this a realistic target?
Old December 3rd, 2010, 05:23 PM   #8
ruready1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayregoodwin View Post
Thanks ruready1000! I struggled to find much info at all, there is very little official info which suprises me. It's tabled to be finished for the Expo, which starts in April 2012. With the towers only having just been completed (I believe this is the case anyway) is this a realistic target?
The construction is scheduled to be completed one or two month before the Yeosu Expo. I think it might be possible as central and local governments are planning to show the bridge as one of the landmarks of Yeosu Expo.
Old July 17th, 2011, 05:28 PM   #9
gramercy
BANNED

source
http://eng.daelim.co.kr/daelim/pr/NewsView.do?idx=7724

Quote:

The construction of the Yi Sun-Sin Grand Bridge connecting Myodo-dong of Yeosu-si and Geumho-dong of Gwanyang-si, Jollanam-do, is 63 percent completed on April 28, the birthday of Yi Sun-Shin. This bridge, scheduled to be completed in December 2012 by Daelim’s unique technologies, is now under the installation of cables connecting main towers which is the core process of a suspension bridge. Upon the completion of the Yi Sun-Sin Grand Bridge, Korea will emerge as the world 6th country boasting self-sufficient technologies for the suspension bridge.

The four-lane Yi Sun-Sin Grand Bridge has a total length of 2.26 km including two 357.5 m-long end segments of main towers. In particular, the length of main span between two main towers reaches 1.545 km, which is Korea’s largest and world’s fourth largest suspension bridge after Japan’s Akashi Kaikyo Bridge with a length of 1.99 km, China’s Shawman Bridge with a length of 1.65 km and Denmark’s Great Belt Bridge with a length of 1.62 km. The main span length of 1.545 km means the year 1545 when the general Yi Sun-Sin had been born. Yeosu-si is a meaningful place where the headquarters of left naval forces of Jolla-do the general had started for his new post had been located. The coast of Gwangyang also has a historical meaning as the last battle field of the general named as Noryang Naval Battle.
Old July 18th, 2011, 11:59 AM   #10
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 24129

Is this one of two bridges? Because Myodo-dong is a small island with only a small fishing village. I suppose they don't build a bridge like this for a fishing village. On the other hand, there seems to be some kind of reclaiming project on the east side of this island. Maybe they'll develop another port area, I know the Gwangyang port is suppose to relieve the port of Busan which accessibility is relatively bad.

travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2011, 12:16 PM   #11
gramercy
BANNED

yes, thats the location, you can see and measure the pylons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement