Davao Region - Page 149 - SkyscraperCity
 

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure > Urban Planning


Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old March 22nd, 2011, 03:06 AM   #2961
eflex
BSBAMGTRN
 
eflex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: davao city
Posts: 1,056
Likes (Received): 483

Operators of uncalibrated taxi units warned
Comment| More | By Ben O. Tesiorna

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

THE Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) in Davao Region warned operators of more than 1000 uncalibrated taxi units of the P5,000 per unit per day penalty.


The agency has already recalibrated 2,604 taxi units in Southern Mindanao but 1,073 more units have not yet complied.


Post your online prayers for Japan earthquake victims

LTFRB Director Benjamin Go is calling on taxi units, whose meters have yet to be recalibrated, to comply now or face the penalty.


Go said fleet operators with more than 50 taxi units have until March 31 to have all their units recalibrated. Individual taxis, meanwhile, have until April 15.


LTFRB action man Edgar Violan said their men are presently visiting fleet operators in their garage to check on compliance of taxi operators.


Among those visited were Davao Times Trading located along Palma Gil Street, Southern Maligaya Taxi in Matina Aplaya, Holiday Taxi on Mt. Apo Street, Durian Transport Service Cooperative in Shanghai, Matina Aplaya, and Ran Sia of Krizia Taxi along Diversion Road in Matina.


Recalibration is now done at the Balusong, Matina office of the LTFRB.


The recalibration was ordered by the LTFRB after it approved the petition for fare increase filed by the Philippine National Taxi Operators Association, with the increase covering taxicabs all over the country, except Baguio City.


The new flagdown rate for taxicabs is up to P40 from the previous P30 and a new rate of P3.50 from P2.50 for every succeeding 300 meters.


Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on March 22, 2011
eflex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old March 22nd, 2011, 03:13 AM   #2962
eflex
BSBAMGTRN
 
eflex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: davao city
Posts: 1,056
Likes (Received): 483

Only segregated garbage will be collected: policy
Comment| More | By Jereco O. Paloma

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

THE City Government will be implementing a "no segregation, no collection policy" starting July 1.


Councilor Marissa Salvador Abella, chair of City Council committee on environment and natural resources, said this is to sustain environmental efforts of the city, being one of the few cities in the country that has complied with Republic Act 9003, or the Solid Waste Management Act of 2002.


Post your online prayers for Japan earthquake victims

Abella said personnel from the City Environment and Natural Resources and Natural Resources Office will only collect properly segregated garbage, on a scheduled time of pick-up.


Abella added that she will demonstrate in a solid waste forum Tuesday at the Council's conference room, the proper way of segregating and disposing household wastes.


In the city alone, Abella said, around 500 tons of mixed wastes are being generated. She said this figure is a huge volume of wastes.


Of the 500 tons of wastes, 60 percent are biodegradable, 20 percent are recyclables, 19 percent are reusable, and the remaining one percent are special wastes like bulbs, syringes and several others.


With the full implementation of this waste segregation policy, around only 20 percent of the total garbage will be dumped into the city's sanitary landfill in Carmen.


Serious


Meanwhile, lawyer Dominic Joseph Felizarta, officer-in-charge of Cenro, earlier said the City Government is serious in reducing wastes being dumped into the sanitary landfill.


"We're just completing the implementing rules and regulations (IRR) before we fully implement and penalize violators," Felizarta said.


Those who will not segregate will be fined not more than P3,000 or a maximum imprisonment of six months.


Felizarta added that part of the implementation of the segregation law is the 40-person anti-littering team that will help monitor and arrest violators.


A seminar and training for actual and proper waste management particularly in segregation is being conducted in different barangays in the city.


Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on March 22, 2011

Last edited by eflex; March 22nd, 2011 at 03:34 AM.
eflex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 04:19 AM   #2963
rodincouch
Davaoeño
 
rodincouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Davao-Tagum-New Corella
Posts: 1,736
Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by davaob4now View Post
@Rod, i hope you can follow up this years data ty.

siguro mas dako pa ang figures sa kadayawan last year and hopefully this year..
I hope I can get it soon. I'll post them when I get it.
rodincouch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 08:34 AM   #2964
eflex
BSBAMGTRN
 
eflex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: davao city
Posts: 1,056
Likes (Received): 483

http://www.davaotourism.com/ctoo2010...iew&newsid=198

M.I.C.E. CALENDAR IN DAVAO CITY 2011
Posted Date: 2011-03-17 08:52:20



M.I.C.E. DAVAO 2011

Mark those important dates!

Come to Davao City and make us your venue for your Meetings, Incentives, Conventions and Events!



February 9-11 : 32nd National Convention of Philippine Association of Water Districts (Grand Men Seng Hotel)

February 23 : International Classical Pianist Rudolph Golez Concert (Apo View Hotel)

February 27 : ASAP Rocks Davao (Davao Crocodile Park Football Field)

March 4-6 : Davao Mega Travel Sale (Gaisano Mall)

March 12-13 : 1st CPE -“The Bottomline: Controversies in Pediatrics” (Apo View Hotel)

March 12 : 3rd Phoenix Golf Open Tournament (Rancho Palos Verdes)

March 13 : Araw ng Dabaw Phoenix Run

March 15 : Mutya ng Dabaw Coronation Night (Davao City Recreation Center)

March 16 : 74th Araw ng Dabaw (Parada Dabawenyo, Banda Hudyaka, Pakonsyerto ni Mayor Inday) - (Main city thoroughfares)

March 15-16 : League of Municipalities in the Philillipines (Grand Regal Hotel)

March 18 : Small Hotels Association of Davao (SHAD) Induction of Officers (Villa Margarita)

March 18-19 : Davao Tattoo Convention and Workshop (TBA)

March 20 : Football Tournament (Davao Crocodile Park)

March 25 : Tourism Sector Tree Planting (Marilog District)

March 26 : Climate Change Conference, 8AM-12NN (Marco Polo Davao)

March 26 : Earth Hour Switch-Off, 6-9 PM (SM City)

March 27 : Drag Race & Motocross (Davao Crocodile Park)

April 13-16 : Association of Municipal Health Officers-National Conference (Grand Regal Hotel)

April 18-May 18 : 1st DAVAO SUMMERFEST 2011 (Various venues)

April 26 : Grand Master’s Cup 10th Sonny Razon Golf Classic (Rancho Palos Verdes)

April 29-May 1 : 17th National Federation of Motorcycle Clubs Annual Convention (Matina Town Square)

April 28-30 : Annual Convention of Free and Accepted Masons (Davao Convention & Trade Center)

May 7-9 : EENT Convention (Waterfront Insular Hotel)

May 13-16 : Davao Food Appreciation Tour (Davao Bloggers) (Various venues)

May : Davao Food Expo 2011 (BSP Convention Hall)

May : Manufacturing Technology Davao 2011 (BSP Convention Hall)

May : The T.O.P.S Show Davao 2011 (BSP Convention Hall)

May : WoodMach Davao 2011 (TBA)

May 14-16 : ObGyne Convention (TBA)

May 16 -June 3 : MPI -12th Annual Peacebuilding Training (TBA)

May 17-20 : 104th PMA Annual Convention (Davao Med Society) (Grand Regal)

May 19-21 : Phil. Medical Association National Convention (TBA)

May 26-28 : 62nd Multiple District 301 Lions State Convention (Lions Club) (Davao Central High School/Grand Regal Hotel)

July : HVAC/R Mindanao 2011 (BSP Convention Hall)

July 7 : PHILCONSTRUCT Mindanao (TBA)

August 18-19 : 7th Mindanao Statistics Congress (TBA)

Aug. 19-21 : Kadayawan sa Dabaw Festival (TBA)

(TBA) : League of the Municipal and City Agriculturists of the Philippines National Convention (TBA)

Last edited by eflex; March 22nd, 2011 at 08:41 AM.
eflex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 09:34 AM   #2965
cemby
Demented User
 
cemby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: CDO/DVO/BXU/MNL
Posts: 2,285
Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflex View Post
http://www.davaotourism.com/ctoo2010...iew&newsid=198

M.I.C.E. CALENDAR IN DAVAO CITY 2011
Posted Date: 2011-03-17 08:52:20



M.I.C.E. DAVAO 2011

Mark those important dates!

Come to Davao City and make us your venue for your Meetings, Incentives, Conventions and Events!



February 9-11 : 32nd National Convention of Philippine Association of Water Districts (Grand Men Seng Hotel)

February 23 : International Classical Pianist Rudolph Golez Concert (Apo View Hotel)

February 27 : ASAP Rocks Davao (Davao Crocodile Park Football Field)

March 4-6 : Davao Mega Travel Sale (Gaisano Mall)

March 12-13 : 1st CPE -“The Bottomline: Controversies in Pediatrics” (Apo View Hotel)

March 12 : 3rd Phoenix Golf Open Tournament (Rancho Palos Verdes)

March 13 : Araw ng Dabaw Phoenix Run

March 15 : Mutya ng Dabaw Coronation Night (Davao City Recreation Center)

March 16 : 74th Araw ng Dabaw (Parada Dabawenyo, Banda Hudyaka, Pakonsyerto ni Mayor Inday) - (Main city thoroughfares)

March 15-16 : League of Municipalities in the Philillipines (Grand Regal Hotel)

March 18 : Small Hotels Association of Davao (SHAD) Induction of Officers (Villa Margarita)

March 18-19 : Davao Tattoo Convention and Workshop (TBA)

March 20 : Football Tournament (Davao Crocodile Park)

March 25 : Tourism Sector Tree Planting (Marilog District)

March 26 : Climate Change Conference, 8AM-12NN (Marco Polo Davao)

March 26 : Earth Hour Switch-Off, 6-9 PM (SM City)

March 27 : Drag Race & Motocross (Davao Crocodile Park)

April 13-16 : Association of Municipal Health Officers-National Conference (Grand Regal Hotel)

April 18-May 18 : 1st DAVAO SUMMERFEST 2011 (Various venues)

April 26 : Grand Master’s Cup 10th Sonny Razon Golf Classic (Rancho Palos Verdes)

April 29-May 1 : 17th National Federation of Motorcycle Clubs Annual Convention (Matina Town Square)

April 28-30 : Annual Convention of Free and Accepted Masons (Davao Convention & Trade Center)

May 7-9 : EENT Convention (Waterfront Insular Hotel)

May 13-16 : Davao Food Appreciation Tour (Davao Bloggers) (Various venues)

May : Davao Food Expo 2011 (BSP Convention Hall)

May : Manufacturing Technology Davao 2011 (BSP Convention Hall)

May : The T.O.P.S Show Davao 2011 (BSP Convention Hall)

May : WoodMach Davao 2011 (TBA)

May 14-16 : ObGyne Convention (TBA)

May 16 -June 3 : MPI -12th Annual Peacebuilding Training (TBA)

May 17-20 : 104th PMA Annual Convention (Davao Med Society) (Grand Regal)

May 19-21 : Phil. Medical Association National Convention (TBA)

May 26-28 : 62nd Multiple District 301 Lions State Convention (Lions Club) (Davao Central High School/Grand Regal Hotel)

July : HVAC/R Mindanao 2011 (BSP Convention Hall)

July 7 : PHILCONSTRUCT Mindanao (TBA)

August 18-19 : 7th Mindanao Statistics Congress (TBA)

Aug. 19-21 : Kadayawan sa Dabaw Festival (TBA)

(TBA) : League of the Municipal and City Agriculturists of the Philippines National Convention (TBA)


PMA=Phil. Medical Association... I guess na double entry... It is in Grand regal nga.
cemby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:03 AM   #2966
eflex
BSBAMGTRN
 
eflex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: davao city
Posts: 1,056
Likes (Received): 483

i dont know....different dates kasi..website kasi to nang city tourism under jason magnaye...
eflex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 01:50 PM   #2967
rodincouch
Davaoeño
 
rodincouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Davao-Tagum-New Corella
Posts: 1,736
Likes (Received): 21

Thanks for that long list of activities. Good news to the people of Davao indeed.
rodincouch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 03:09 PM   #2968
Dakpa ang akong tiil
Wer Da Feet?
 
Dakpa ang akong tiil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Eco.City & Tagum City
Posts: 858
Likes (Received): 4



THE region's marine marvels will be on show at the First Philippine Dive Seafari on April 25-May 5, along with other dive destinations in the country.

Dive-related activities will be held simultaneously in the country's top dive destinations -- Anilao in Batangas, El Nido in Palawan, Pamilacan in Bohol, and the Island Garden City of Samal in Davao del Norte.

The 7,107 islands of the Philippines sit on what some consider the "center of global marine biodiversity," and more dive enthusiasts are catching on.
With its abundance of wildlife, the Philippines is a biodiversity hotspot in its entirety, one of only a few countries in the world with such distinction. It is also one of six whose waters comprise the Coral Triangle, the richest collection of marine life anywhere on the planet.

Here, the world's most diverse array of corals and reef fish - three-fourths of all coral species and over 2,000 varieties of fish, to be exact - populate the sea. There's even more upon closer inspection, as the array of wildlife includes everything from dolphins to crustaceans, sea slugs to eels. The variety of creatures is simply staggering.

While it shares some of this wealth with its neighbors, the Philippines is wonder on its own. In fact, biologists have been finding new creatures here consistently in recent years, both those thought to exist only elsewhere in the world and entirely new species altogether.

Among the more noteworthy marine ambassadors of the Philippines are five species of pawikan (sea turtle) and Sorsogon's enormous butanding (whale shark). But among macro photographers, the small and often strange critters wandering the sea garner the most attention and intrigue.

With much of the world's marine biodiversity housed in the Philippines and the Coral Triangle, collaborative conservation efforts among stakeholders have fittingly stepped up. Challenges posed by pollution, dangerous fishing practices and climate change, among others, remain.

The Department of Tourism (DOT) puts the Philippines' marine marvels on show this summer as it hosts the 1st Philippine Dive Seafari. To headline familiarization tours at four of the country's top dive spots - Anilao, Bohol, Samal Island and Coron - are top international underwater lensmen Bob Whorton, Robert Yin, Dave Allen and Alex Wu as well as our very own Gutsy Tuazon.

"With this event, we hope not only to establish the Philippines as a world class marine macro photography destination, but to build appreciation for the beauty and fragility of marine life as well," said Secretary Alberto A. Lim.

Sponsored in part by STI-Tanauan & Lipa, Acacia Resort in Anilao, Batangas, Davao Pearl Farm, Bohol Divers Lodge, Balicasag Dive Resort, Peacock Garden Resort in Baclayon, Bohol, Calamianes Expeditions, Davao Dive Guides Association, and Sonny Dizon.
__________________
Signature deleted as per Rules for user signatures
Dakpa ang akong tiil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 04:25 PM   #2969
allenation
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,932
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflex View Post
http://www.davaotourism.com/ctoo2010...iew&newsid=198

M.I.C.E. CALENDAR IN DAVAO CITY 2011
Posted Date: 2011-03-17 08:52:20



M.I.C.E. DAVAO 2011

Mark those important dates!

Come to Davao City and make us your venue for your Meetings, Incentives, Conventions and Events!



February 9-11 : 32nd National Convention of Philippine Association of Water Districts (Grand Men Seng Hotel)

February 23 : International Classical Pianist Rudolph Golez Concert (Apo View Hotel)

February 27 : ASAP Rocks Davao (Davao Crocodile Park Football Field)

March 4-6 : Davao Mega Travel Sale (Gaisano Mall)

March 12-13 : 1st CPE -“The Bottomline: Controversies in Pediatrics” (Apo View Hotel)

March 12 : 3rd Phoenix Golf Open Tournament (Rancho Palos Verdes)

March 13 : Araw ng Dabaw Phoenix Run

March 15 : Mutya ng Dabaw Coronation Night (Davao City Recreation Center)

March 16 : 74th Araw ng Dabaw (Parada Dabawenyo, Banda Hudyaka, Pakonsyerto ni Mayor Inday) - (Main city thoroughfares)

March 15-16 : League of Municipalities in the Philillipines (Grand Regal Hotel)

March 18 : Small Hotels Association of Davao (SHAD) Induction of Officers (Villa Margarita)

March 18-19 : Davao Tattoo Convention and Workshop (TBA)

March 20 : Football Tournament (Davao Crocodile Park)

March 25 : Tourism Sector Tree Planting (Marilog District)

March 26 : Climate Change Conference, 8AM-12NN (Marco Polo Davao)

March 26 : Earth Hour Switch-Off, 6-9 PM (SM City)

March 27 : Drag Race & Motocross (Davao Crocodile Park)

April 13-16 : Association of Municipal Health Officers-National Conference (Grand Regal Hotel)

April 18-May 18 : 1st DAVAO SUMMERFEST 2011 (Various venues)

April 26 : Grand Master’s Cup 10th Sonny Razon Golf Classic (Rancho Palos Verdes)

April 29-May 1 : 17th National Federation of Motorcycle Clubs Annual Convention (Matina Town Square)

April 28-30 : Annual Convention of Free and Accepted Masons (Davao Convention & Trade Center)

May 7-9 : EENT Convention (Waterfront Insular Hotel)

May 13-16 : Davao Food Appreciation Tour (Davao Bloggers) (Various venues)

May : Davao Food Expo 2011 (BSP Convention Hall)

May : Manufacturing Technology Davao 2011 (BSP Convention Hall)

May : The T.O.P.S Show Davao 2011 (BSP Convention Hall)

May : WoodMach Davao 2011 (TBA)

May 14-16 : ObGyne Convention (TBA)

May 16 -June 3 : MPI -12th Annual Peacebuilding Training (TBA)

May 17-20 : 104th PMA Annual Convention (Davao Med Society) (Grand Regal)

May 19-21 : Phil. Medical Association National Convention (TBA)

May 26-28 : 62nd Multiple District 301 Lions State Convention (Lions Club) (Davao Central High School/Grand Regal Hotel)

July : HVAC/R Mindanao 2011 (BSP Convention Hall)

July 7 : PHILCONSTRUCT Mindanao (TBA)

August 18-19 : 7th Mindanao Statistics Congress (TBA)

Aug. 19-21 : Kadayawan sa Dabaw Festival (TBA)

(TBA) : League of the Municipal and City Agriculturists of the Philippines National Convention (TBA)
whew..lisod jud pildihon ang 33T conventions a year sa iban nuh. pero based sa imong info sir eflex, busy gihapon ang davao maski hanggang august lang ang nkabutang. davao is getting more busier than i ever thought. come SMX.. come RMERCC..hehehe..
allenation no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 05:35 PM   #2970
cemby
Demented User
 
cemby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: CDO/DVO/BXU/MNL
Posts: 2,285
Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by eflex View Post
i dont know....different dates kasi..website kasi to nang city tourism under jason magnaye...

Yup checked with my doctor friends... It is indeed just one. Philippine Medical Association will hold its Annual National Convention on May 18-21. The May 17 is said to be the arrival of delegates (ingress).. and there are A LOT of doctors coming to Davao during that time... Puno na nga daw ang booking ng hotels for that period. Pati ang sampaguita Inn yata pinatulan na rin..
cemby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2011, 06:12 PM   #2971
rodincouch
Davaoeño
 
rodincouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Davao-Tagum-New Corella
Posts: 1,736
Likes (Received): 21

ICT-Davao holds pitching tilt, March 24-25


THE Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Davao Inc. will be holding the ON3 Business Plan Pitching Competition on March 24-25 at Martha's Place, Brokenshire College, Madapo Hills, Davao City.

The competition is open to Filipino start-up companies involved in technology, including consumer web, internet, mobile, wireless, social media, gaming, software, clean and biotech, which are looking for funding and/or global business development.

The event is expected to gather start-ups from Visayas and Mindanao. It features rehearsals and a coaching session on the first day in order to prepare the participants for the pitching competition the next day.

The finalists of the pitching competition will be joining the national finals round in July 2011 during the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) National Science Week.

Finalists will also be awarded by Plug and Play Tech Center with a three-month Silicon Valley immersion and funding mission, and will be given opportunities for global business development.

Schools are thus requested to enjoin students, particularly in the field of Engineering, Computer Science, Math and Science, to submit entries for the competition.

For the competition guidelines, templates and sample entries, contact the Event Secretariat at the Department of Trade and Industry-Davao City Field Office (DTI DCFO) at telephone number (082) 224-0511 local 205, and look for Mr. Arriel Nengasca. Entries can be submitted to [email protected].

The event is being staged in cooperation with the Science and Technology Advisory Council, Inc. of Silicon Valley (STAC-Silicon Valley), Plug and Play Tech Center, DTI-DCFO, DOST and Davao City Investment and Promotion Center (DCIPC).

Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on March 23, 2011.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/davao/busi...h-24-25-146330

Last edited by rodincouch; March 23rd, 2011 at 02:53 AM.
rodincouch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 02:51 AM   #2972
eflex
BSBAMGTRN
 
eflex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: davao city
Posts: 1,056
Likes (Received): 483

Aboitiz expands proposed coal power plant to 300mw
Comment| More |
Tuesday, March 22, 2011

ABOITIZPOWER Corp. is expanding its proposed circulating fluidized-bed coal-fired power plant in southern Davao from 200 megawatts (mw) to 300 mw in anticipation of future demand for power in Mindanao.


The proposal was submitted to the Davao City Council last week and was approved on first reading last March 1.


Post your online prayers for Japan earthquake victims

The expanded capacity will provide a comfortable power reserve for Mindanao, which is ideal for its long-term security and reliability, Aboitiz Power First Vice President for Mindanao Affairs Bobby Orig said.


"If ever built, the power plant should secure the power need of Davao and Mindanao not just to satisfy the present demand but to fill the power needs moving forward," Orig said. "We hope the comfortable power situation will encourage companies to expand and investors to come in to Mindanao and provide jobs to the people."


AboitizPower is hoping to invest some P25 billion on the project. The plant can be completed by 2014 if the necessary approvals and permits are issued on a timely basis.


"This will surely be the single biggest investment ever made in Davao City, Davao del Sur, or this region of MIndanao," Orig said.


The 52-hectare property in barangay Binugao, Toril Davao City and barangay Inawayan in Sta. Cruz is already being leased by AboitizPower with an option to purchase the land once the project get the approval from the local government units.
AboitizPower earlier assured the public that the project will utilize modern clean coal technology to meet stringent international and Philippine standards on environmental protection, health and safety.


"There are coal-fired power plants using clean coal technology existing in the Philippines and in Mindanao, like the Steag State Power plant in Villanueva, Misamis Oriental and the Cebu Energy Development Corporation in Toledo, Cebu, These facilities have continued to meet standards and there had been no recorded incident that negatively affected the health and livelihood of the communities around it," Orig said.


The Mindanao power situation is expected to be precarious once more as 2011 enters into tits summer months. The dry summer usually brings water level Lake Lanao down, affecting the generating capacity of the Agus-Pulangi hydropower complex, the lifeblood of Mindanao's power supply.


"We need to attain the right mix of power from different sources so even in the summer or during El Nino, Mindanao will have reliable power," Orig said.


Government estimates that the Mindanao power shortage is set to worsen and that by 2014; the shortage will be around 480mw, enough to cut off the entire power supply to the cities of Davao, Cagayan de Oro, Gen. Santos, Zamboanga and Butuan.


Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on March 23, 2011.
eflex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 02:56 AM   #2973
eflex
BSBAMGTRN
 
eflex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: davao city
Posts: 1,056
Likes (Received): 483

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemby View Post
Yup checked with my doctor friends... It is indeed just one. Philippine Medical Association will hold its Annual National Convention on May 18-21. The May 17 is said to be the arrival of delegates (ingress).. and there are A LOT of doctors coming to Davao during that time... Puno na nga daw ang booking ng hotels for that period. Pati ang sampaguita Inn yata pinatulan na rin..
k...

Doctors to Aquino: Lead by example, quit smokingBy Jenny Manongdo
February 20, 2011, 11:56pm
MANILA, Philippines - The Philippine Medical Association (PMA) and the National Social Action Council (NASAC) yesterday urged President Benigno S. Aquino III to set a strong example among the people by quitting smoking and supporting local anti-smoking activities.

The PMA, the Civil Service Commission (CSC), and officials of a multi-sectoral anti-tobacco committee recently banded together in a strategic planning session that tackled activities that will pave the way for a successful implementation of the various articles of the World Health Organization-Framework Convention on Tobacco Control (WHO-FCTC).

The Philippines was one of the 172 countries that signed the WHO-FCTC on February 25, 2005, the first international treaty in response to the worldwide tobacco epidemic.

“The President of the Republic, as the father of this nation, has the duty to safeguard the health and wellness of Filipinos most especially the youth,” Dr. Oscar D. Tinio, PMA President and NASAC Chairman said in a statement.

“Smoking is a major crime against a person’s body and therefore a clear and present danger to the health of our people,” he added.

According to the World Lung Foundation (WLF) and the International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (The Union), exposure to second hand smoke “may be responsible for up to twenty percent of heart attacks in Metro Manila.”

“The calculations showed that the percentage of heart attacks attributable to second hand smoke in Metro Manila probably ranges between 10 percent and 20 percent depending on the hours of exposure per week,” PMA said.

According to the study, if one’s average exposure in Metro Manila is one to seven hours per week, the total attributable number of heart attacks would be approximately ten percent. If the average number of hours of exposure is more than 21 hours per week, the number of second hand smoke-related heart attacks would be more than 20 percent.

In the statement, PMA cited information from the US Department of Health and human services who said that children exposed to second-hand smoke are at an increased risk for sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), acute respiratory infections, ear problems, and more severe asthma. Smoking by parents causes respiratory symptoms and slows lung growth in their children.

To emphasize the ills of smoking and discourage the public from the habit, PMA and NASAC will embark on a nationwide, city-to-city smoke-free, crime-free Philippines motorcades and fun run sessions that will begin today at the PMA auditorium in North Avenue, Quezon City to Mandaluyong City Hall.

It is set to begin at 6 a.m. and will end with a covenant signing with Mandaluyong City Mayor Benjamin Abalos Jr.

The anti-smoking sport events will culminate in May during the PMA Annual Convention in Davao City
eflex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:13 AM   #2974
rodincouch
Davaoeño
 
rodincouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Davao-Tagum-New Corella
Posts: 1,736
Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinabaw View Post
Pnoy in Araw ng Dabaw...



rodincouch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:56 AM   #2975
dinabaw
Registered User
 
dinabaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: d.c. , davao region
Posts: 8,367
Likes (Received): 1331

bakit ang pangit ng cartoon replica ni Sara sa cartoon above?
__________________
" If we don't take care of nature, nature won't take care of us"
dinabaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:57 AM   #2976
dinabaw
Registered User
 
dinabaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: d.c. , davao region
Posts: 8,367
Likes (Received): 1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodincouch View Post
ICT-Davao holds pitching tilt, March 24-25


THE Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Davao Inc. will be holding the ON3 Business Plan Pitching Competition on March 24-25 at Martha's Place, Brokenshire College, Madapo Hills, Davao City.

The competition is open to Filipino start-up companies involved in technology, including consumer web, internet, mobile, wireless, social media, gaming, software, clean and biotech, which are looking for funding and/or global business development.

The event is expected to gather start-ups from Visayas and Mindanao. It features rehearsals and a coaching session on the first day in order to prepare the participants for the pitching competition the next day.

The finalists of the pitching competition will be joining the national finals round in July 2011 during the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) National Science Week.

Finalists will also be awarded by Plug and Play Tech Center with a three-month Silicon Valley immersion and funding mission, and will be given opportunities for global business development.

Schools are thus requested to enjoin students, particularly in the field of Engineering, Computer Science, Math and Science, to submit entries for the competition.

For the competition guidelines, templates and sample entries, contact the Event Secretariat at the Department of Trade and Industry-Davao City Field Office (DTI DCFO) at telephone number (082) 224-0511 local 205, and look for Mr. Arriel Nengasca. Entries can be submitted to [email protected].

The event is being staged in cooperation with the Science and Technology Advisory Council, Inc. of Silicon Valley (STAC-Silicon Valley), Plug and Play Tech Center, DTI-DCFO, DOST and Davao City Investment and Promotion Center (DCIPC).

Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on March 23, 2011.

http://www.sunstar.com.ph/davao/busi...h-24-25-146330
and in the US of A...

US Las Vegas News
__________________
" If we don't take care of nature, nature won't take care of us"
dinabaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 02:41 AM   #2977
dinabaw
Registered User
 
dinabaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: d.c. , davao region
Posts: 8,367
Likes (Received): 1331

wow a 5 billion medical complex, another medical tourist destination!

P5B health, wellness complex soon to rise in Davao


By Carmelle Marie Harrow

Wednesday, March 23, 2011
More Sections



A 10-HECTARE health and wellness complex that will bring more investors in Davao City will soon be constructed in the southern part of the city.

This developed after groups of hospital owners, together with the Davao Investment and Promotions Center (DIPC), Philippine Medical Association and the Philippine Retirement Authority (PRA), held a meeting and positively agreed on the project.

Post your online prayers for Japan earthquake victims

"This is our commitment to the city to bring in investors and making the city a health and wellness hub," said Carlos Vargas, the president of the Chamber of Real Estate And Builders Association Inc. during Wednesday's Club 888 press conference.

The complex will be composed of a Medical Arts Tower along with condominium units for foreign and returning Filipino retirees and a commercial complex that will cater to the future residents needs.

Vargas noted that there have been reports from PRA that there are 500 foreign retirees in the city that are having problems in terms of their health benefits because no hospitals here accept retirees' health cards.

Investors of the project will be mainly from Manila, Yargas said hence, doctors also expressed their interest to invest.

"The complex will also have a green development where pockets of gardens will be seen," Vargas added.

He added the hospital will be the catalyst of the project and that the development period of the whole complex will be up to five years.

To build one hospital, Vargas noted, it needs P350 million while the whole complex is worth P5 billion.


With Vargas was Darren Evangelista, a sport's organizer of the Evangelista Aquatics Inc. who expressed his interest in not only investing in the project but also uplifting the tourism industry through sports.

He said the weather in Davao, being fair and with the beaches here is enough to facilitate any sporting events. "Davao is a sports haven itself, and combining sports and tourism is what we have also discussed by the group," Evangelista said.

Sun-Star
__________________
" If we don't take care of nature, nature won't take care of us"
dinabaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 02:43 AM   #2978
eflex
BSBAMGTRN
 
eflex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: davao city
Posts: 1,056
Likes (Received): 483

Davao to join in South Africa trade fair
Comment| More | By Jereco O. Paloma

Wednesday, March 23, 2011


THE Davao City Government is sending a delegation to South Africa next year for a trade fair that will showcase various agricultural products.


This was learned Wednesday, the second day of visit of South African Ambassador to the Philippines Agnes Nyamande Pitso in Davao City.


Post your online prayers for Japan earthquake victims

Pitso, after a courtesy call on Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio Wednesday, said there are several products that the city can actually directly export to her country, and in return, products that are abundant in her country will also be shared with the city.


Among the products that Pitso identified as abundant in the city are cavendish bananas, sugar, and personal accessories like Davao's native bags.


South Africa is among the countries that has abundant supply of precious stones like diamonds.


"We will see what are the needs of the city that South Africa can provide," Pitso said.


Pitso said there still no definite date of the trade fair but said the city is welcome to participate with the same fair.


She said several countries and cities in the world will showcase their own products in the trade fair, which will be a good venue to promote unique and local products of each country and city in the world.


Pitso's visit to the city aims to build communication and connection between South Africa and the Philippines.


She also commended the city's cleanliness as she referred the city as the cleanest city that she had ever visited.


Pitso arrived Tuesday and expected to stay until Friday. Davao is the first city in Mindanao that she visited.


Meanwhile, Duterte vowed to participate in the trade fair.


She expressed optimism that the ties between South Africa and Davao City will lead to mutual development and progress.


Published in the Sun.Star Davao newspaper on March 24, 2011
eflex no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 03:01 AM   #2979
nbrDVO
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Cheap DEvelopments Only
Posts: 1,342
Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinabaw View Post
wow a 5 billion medical complex, another medical tourist destination!

P5B health, wellness complex soon to rise in Davao


By Carmelle Marie Harrow

Wednesday, March 23, 2011
More Sections



A 10-HECTARE health and wellness complex that will bring more investors in Davao City will soon be constructed in the southern part of the city.

This developed after groups of hospital owners, together with the Davao Investment and Promotions Center (DIPC), Philippine Medical Association and the Philippine Retirement Authority (PRA), held a meeting and positively agreed on the project.

Post your online prayers for Japan earthquake victims

"This is our commitment to the city to bring in investors and making the city a health and wellness hub," said Carlos Vargas, the president of the Chamber of Real Estate And Builders Association Inc. during Wednesday's Club 888 press conference.

The complex will be composed of a Medical Arts Tower along with condominium units for foreign and returning Filipino retirees and a commercial complex that will cater to the future residents needs.

Vargas noted that there have been reports from PRA that there are 500 foreign retirees in the city that are having problems in terms of their health benefits because no hospitals here accept retirees' health cards.

Investors of the project will be mainly from Manila, Yargas said hence, doctors also expressed their interest to invest.

"The complex will also have a green development where pockets of gardens will be seen," Vargas added.

He added the hospital will be the catalyst of the project and that the development period of the whole complex will be up to five years.

To build one hospital, Vargas noted, it needs P350 million while the whole complex is worth P5 billion.


With Vargas was Darren Evangelista, a sport's organizer of the Evangelista Aquatics Inc. who expressed his interest in not only investing in the project but also uplifting the tourism industry through sports.

He said the weather in Davao, being fair and with the beaches here is enough to facilitate any sporting events. "Davao is a sports haven itself, and combining sports and tourism is what we have also discussed by the group," Evangelista said.

Sun-Star
Southern part of the city? Surely sa Matina or Ecoland lang ito banda. It cannot go further south. Saan kaya???

nbrDVO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 03:02 AM   #2980
dinabaw
Registered User
 
dinabaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: d.c. , davao region
Posts: 8,367
Likes (Received): 1331

Davao City: The perfect tourist destination


By Henrylito D. Tacio

Wednesday, March 23, 2011
More Sections


"MURDER City" - that was how the defunct Asiaweek described Davao City in the early 1980s. Some two to three people were killed each day and thrown in the ditch. Foreigners and even those from nearby provinces shunned what became the country's "killing fields."

In 1988, a few years after the historic people power in Manila, the son of the last governor of the then undivided Davao Province became the mayor of the city. Rodrigo R. Duterte did the most impossible task of restoring peace and order that was divided by religion and ideological belief.

Post your online prayers for Japan earthquake victims

By the time his first term ended, Duterte had regained much of the city's positive image as an ideal investment haven and tourism destination. During the 67th Araw ng Dabaw celebration, then President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo commented: "The Philippines is just catching up with Davao City which seems to be always leading the way for the rest of the country."

For such accolade, Duterte had this to say: "I hold it as an article of faith in government that there can never be development and progress in any city or province in the country, unless there is stability, unless there is peace and order."

Indeed, Davao City has gone a long, long way. "Over the last two decades, we have seen tremendous progress in infrastructures and linkages, trade and communications, and human resource development," said Sara Z. Duterte-Carpio, the 32-year-old first lady mayor of the city, during the recent anniversary celebration. "We continue to attract not only investors but people who have seen paradise in Davao."

"A resort city" was how Catalina Dakudao, former regional director of the Department of Tourism described Davao. After all, it has "all the ingredients of a successful destination. You have the mountains, the seas, the fruit baskets, the orchids."

Today, Davao is the trade and commerce center of Mindanao. It is just one hour and thirty minutes by plane from Manila (45 minutes if from Cebu City). Davao is also the gateway to East Asian countries, particularly Brunei, Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore.

In 2006, Davao hosted the tourism forum of the members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations. "Davao is slow compared to Hongkong, Bangkok, Manila, and Cebu," wrote Ernie Abella, editor of Madayaw, a magazine that was released in conjunction with the event. "But you can get from sea to mountain by the time you finish the juice of a fresh coconut."

For those who want to know more about Davao City, log on this website: www.discoverdavao.com. Or, visit the Department of Tourism office at fifth floor of Landco Building located at J.P. Laurel Avenue.

Davao is home to three Philippine icons: the exquisite waling-waling orchid (which you can see at Puentespina Orchid Center in Agdao), the controversial durian fruit (have a taste of it at the Madrazo Fruit Stand in Bangoy Street), and the endangered Philippine eagle (travel about one hour from the city to Malagos, Calinan where the Philippine Eagle Center is located).

If you are a first timer to the city, your first stopover should be the Davao City Hall in San Pedro Street. The place is spacious and you'll see some activities being done at the nearby Jose Rizal Park. Along San Pedro Street is the Camp Domingo Leonor, which happened to be the quarters of the Spanish and later American soldiers in the 1920s.

Just a walking distance away from the city hall is the Sangguniang Panglungsod building. In front of it is a freedom statue designed by Kublai Milan. At the back of the building is the Museo Dabawenyo, where you get a glimpse of what city looks like in the past.

Adjacent to the Sangguniang Panglungsod is the San Pedro Cathedral, one of the oldest churches in Mindanao. The original structure of the church was built in 1847 in honor of St. Peter, the city's patron saint. The old altar is preserved at the right wing of the cathedral.

If you have already done the walking tour, call a taxi and tell the driver to bring you People's Park in Camus Street. The expansive and beautiful 70-million park features many delightful treats for its beholders to discover. Grand landscaped waterfall, strategically scenic benches, a small but fun playground, amazingly breathtaking gardens, arranged multipurpose trees, lovely traditional cottages and sophisticated sculptures.

Before the day is over, go to the Davao Crocodile Park, Inc. in the diversion road in Maa. It is home to some 700 crocodiles, including Pangil, the country's second largest reptile at 18 feet long and is more than 60 years old. Witness breath-taking stunts done by tight-rope walker on top of a crocodile pond.

Having your fill of crocs, you might want to check other animals in small cages or glass-encased enclosures. There are raucous parrots, eagles and mynahs. Snakes are coiled inside their cages, their heads tucked under their shiny skins. There's a bearcat hanging precariously on a branch and in front is a swinging orangutan. Smaller animals such as macaques, porcupine, civet, leopard cat, monitor, and deer have their own cages too.

Davao also has a number of beaches to offer. Times Beach, two kilometers from the city center, bustles with picnickers during Sundays and holidays. Historic Talomo Beach is best remembered as a landing site for Japanese and American forces during World War II.

But the best beaches are located in nearby Samal Island. Highly recommended are Pearl Farm Beach Resort and Bluejaz Beach Resort and Waterpark (www.bluejaz.net). Pearl Farm (the only triple A beach resort in Mindanao) is a 45-minute boat ride from Davao City while Bluejaz (whose biggest attractions are the two giant slides) is only five minutes away.

One of the things that make Davao unique is its durian. If you can't stand the smell, you can always drink it. At Bluegr‚ Caf‚, you can try the durian cappuccino - a unique brew of durian and coffee. Other noted caf‚ bars are Basti's Brew, Bo's Coffee Club, Caf‚ Marco, and Claude's Le Caf‚ de Ville.

Don't worry about food; restaurants and bars are aplenty. The city is known for its inihaw (grilled tuna) and kinilaw (local version of sashimi using tuna or blue marlin strips). For international cuisine, you can choose from any of the following: Ranchero (don't miss the delicious baby back ribs or the sizzling bulalo) Krua Thai, Farfalla Pasta Bar, Tsuru, Hanoi, and Jack Ridge.

There is no shortage of accommodations in Davao. Among the famous ones are Marco Polo Davao on Claveria Street, Royal Mandaya Hotel on Ponciano Street, Apo View Hotel in Bonifacio Street, Grand Men Seng Hotel in Magallanes Street, and Grand Regal Hotel and Waterfront Insular Hotel, both in Lanang.

Other recommended hotels are Bagobo House, Hotel Galleria, Casa Letecia, Regency Inn, Davao Tower Inn, Villa Margarita, Orange Grove Hotel, Hotel Elena, and Sampaguita Tourist Inn.

Before you leave the city, you must bring with you something from Davao. Since you can't bring durian, buy durian bars and preserves. Sweet pomelos, particularly the seedless varieties, also make a good pasalubong since these have a longer shelf life compared to other fruits. Women can also flock to Aldevinco Shopping Center at C.M. Recto Street; here they can buy various sizes and forms of malong, tinalak and other souvenirs.

The best time to visit Davao is the months of March and August. On March 6, the city celebrates its anniversary. One of the most anticipated events is the Parada Dabawenyo (a parade where government agencies and private sectors joined together to show their solidarity) and search for Mutya ng Dabaw.

On every third week of August, Davao celebrates the festival of all festivals in Mindanao. It's called Kadayawan sa Dabaw (coined from the Dabawenyo word dayaw, which means "good"). Actually, the week-long event celebrates the blessings of God upon the people of the land, the wealth of culture and the serenity of life.

Madayaw!


__________________
" If we don't take care of nature, nature won't take care of us"
dinabaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Central Visayas Region sandrin Urban Planning 6078 May 9th, 2018 04:14 AM
Western Visayas Region chymera00 Urban Planning 12590 September 28th, 2017 09:02 AM


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us