Centre Hotel / Premier Inn Hotel "part demolition & total refurbishment" | Newcastle | 9fl | Proposed - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > North East England > Newcastle Metro Area

Newcastle Metro Area For Newcastle, N Tyneside, Gateshead, S Tyneside, South Northumberland

Old December 22nd, 2018, 02:00 AM   #41
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Likes (Received): 1217

Don't forget Gainford have extensive form on renders that are wildly optimistic. great that it's being fluffed up but .... might not be quite what we see.

FWIW [and this may be NCC's flaky planning portal, though the rest seems live] - the link posted by Absent is now showing document unavailable.
newcastlepubs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 22nd, 2018, 10:33 AM   #42
Andym

Likes (Received): 465

As Andrew said earlier there needs to be a series of green bridges similar to the one at the Poly over the central motorway, of which one should be at this site.The current walkway here is a magnet for crime and a barrier to development. EPS and the Quayside need to be linked seamlessly to fulfil their potential.
Andym no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2018, 02:57 PM   #43
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andym View Post
As Andrew said earlier there needs to be a series of green bridges similar to the one at the Poly over the central motorway, of which one should be at this site.The current walkway here is a magnet for crime and a barrier to development. EPS and the Quayside need to be linked seamlessly to fulfil their potential.
Ahh someone else like me and a couple of friends who still refer to the poly [not as academic snobs at all but because of the real value the poly' system, CNAA etc brought to education]... but

You re right - somehow I wonder if the most logical connection is via Trafalgar st, I'm thinking of the logic of gravity of that makes sense, a slope towards the quayside, anything else further to the east is a bit of a detour. The new halls on Trafalgar might help too.

There is also that odd 'blind' st that ends close to the 55degrees carpark, but I suspect that would need tunneling kit to connect up.

Andym, Walkergate Meanie liked this post

Last edited by newcastlepubs; December 22nd, 2018 at 03:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 22nd, 2018, 04:53 PM   #44
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2098

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlepubs View Post
Ahh someone else like me and a couple of friends who still refer to the poly [not as academic snobs at all but because of the real value the poly' system, CNAA etc brought to education]…

Yes, Newcastle Poly, the first place of 'further education' I attended, before heading off for the Smoke.

Here is my Poly Students Union Card . . . ahh, how young !!!

Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2018, 05:08 PM   #45
Phil100
Phil100

Likes (Received): 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by newcastlepubs View Post
Ahh someone else like me and a couple of friends who still refer to the poly [not as academic snobs at all but because of the real value the poly' system, CNAA etc brought to education]...

I go back a bit further! After leaving school, I did an ONC (Chemistry) at Bath Lane College of Further Education before moving on to an HNC (Chemistry) at Rutherford College of Technology which became the Polytechnic in my time there!!
Phil100 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2018, 05:54 PM   #46
David Aspinall

Likes (Received): 144

Quote:
at Rutherford College of Technology which became the Polytechnic
I sat a chemistry exam in the Rutherford Building and which, for some reason, occasionally reappears as a bad dream. Haunted!
David Aspinall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2018, 08:14 PM   #47
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

I should direct all of this academic reminiscing to another thread, but y'know it's that time of year
Old December 23rd, 2018, 06:04 PM   #48
act94

Likes (Received): 123

Another major box ticked for this part of the city centre, however the entire surrounding area of Carliol Square needs a careful redesign, particularly when the old BoE site is redeveloped. I was walking from 55 degrees to Flat Caps the other week and the route underneath the road and past the old bank site is really quite nasty and wouldn't feel safe at all at night, particularly with the imposing motorway to your right and the old vaults(?) to the left.

With the slow redevelopment of all these buildings and the subsequent removal of the connections to the walkways (a good thing in my opinion), we are left with a jungle of disjointed concrete bridges to nowhere. They need removing and the whole pedestrian flow rethinking. I agree with the plans in this proposal to reinstate Market Street as the main thoroughfare, however a new pedestrian crossing needs to be added to allow people to get safely over the road to access the walkway to Manors in lieu of the spiral staircase and connection to the hotel.
Old March 13th, 2019, 02:59 PM   #49
Ken O'Heed

Likes (Received): 4057

Questions over future of Newcastle Central Motorway footbridge amid luxury city centre hotel plans

Chronicle Live website article from 13/03/19 about concerns for access being cut off between Newcastle city centre and Battlefield and Shieldfield and also affecting students using the UNN Manors campus should a footbridge be demolished as part of scheme at Centre Hotel / Premier Inn site, Newcastle

EXTRACT

Questions over future of Central Motorway footbridge amid luxury city centre hotel plans

The future of a prominent footbridge over Newcastle’s Central Motorway is in question, as it emerged that nearby walkways could be demolished under plans to redevelop a city centre hotel.

There are fears that access on one side of the pedestrian bridge connecting Manors with New Bridge Street could be cut off by big money proposals to transform the nearby former Premier Inn building.

AND

The local authority says it is exploring “a number of options” alongside the developer to provide alternative routes, but has not revealed what those proposals are.

Full article on https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...orway-15964835

KEN
Ken O'Heed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2019, 09:06 PM   #50
elliott

Likes (Received): 351

I don't know the legal on this, but I'd find it strange if the stairs and link through this building were a genuine public right of way; just because it has been since the 1970's doesn't mean it can't be amended. Surely walking around the pavement and then a zebra crossing linking to the ramp would be sufficient.

And big money hahahaha; it's a local business not a company like Apple giving decisions from the other side of world.
elliott no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2019, 09:27 PM   #51
No Opinion

Likes (Received): 1019

Completely missed this entire thread and regeneration of a typically horrid example of Modernist Newcastle.

This hotel proposal appears to have been completed in a rush and on the cheap. Elevations very basic, CGIs pixellated. It reads like a good idea, but if the architectural execution is the same as the proposal execution then I fear the scheme may look like blusher and lippy on a pig.

The bridge removal is an odd one. The council really have an opportunity here to get a much better, wider and integrated bridge to link up New Bridge Street each side of CME. Hell I'd close the Market Street slip road to a slip road and instead make a shared surface bus/cycle/taxi bridge over.

By re-connecting New Bridge East and West directly they would be re-stitching together the gaping wounds opened up by the rabble of politicians on the take in the 60s, but also end the cul de sac status of EPS and make Manors station and area actually relevant for the City Centre again.

Extending the medical analogy further, the relatively small surgery of putting in a decent bridge 'stent' is one that would de clog an essential and historic artery of the city.

Please someone sitting in the Civic Centre take note
No Opinion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2019, 03:35 PM   #52
Ken O'Heed

Footbridge over the CME East, Newcastle linking area of Manors Metro Station etc to the city centre - pictures 24/03/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken O'Heed View Post
Chronicle Live website article from 13/03/19 about concerns for access being cut off between Newcastle city centre and Battlefield and Shieldfield and also affecting students using the UNN Manors campus should a footbridge be demolished as part of scheme at Centre Hotel / Premier Inn site, Newcastle

EXTRACT

Questions over future of Central Motorway footbridge amid luxury city centre hotel plans

The future of a prominent footbridge over Newcastle’s Central Motorway is in question, as it emerged that nearby walkways could be demolished under plans to redevelop a city centre hotel.

There are fears that access on one side of the pedestrian bridge connecting Manors with New Bridge Street could be cut off by big money proposals to transform the nearby former Premier Inn building.

AND

The local authority says it is exploring “a number of options” alongside the developer to provide alternative routes, but has not revealed what those proposals are.

Full article on https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...orway-15964835

KEN
Pictures by myself from Sunday 24/03/19 approx 1115 showing the footbridge over the CME East, Newcastle linking area of Manors Metro Station etc to the city centre, with views of the now named New Bridge Hotel, former Centre Hotel/ Premier Inn, Newcastle

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN

Last edited by Ken O'Heed; March 25th, 2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old March 25th, 2019, 03:36 PM   #53
Ken O'Heed

Blue Carpet area, Higham Place and Spiral staircase at the now named New Bridge Hotel, former Centre Hotel/ Premier Inn, Newcastle - pictures 24/03/19

Previous coverage across a few threads of the forum, including:-

in December 2013 on posts #398 - 400 on Newcastle ART thread, see https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showt...hp?p=109986002

on 07/08/18 on posts #542 - 543 on PUBLIC REALM ISSUES thread, see https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showt...963942&page=28

Pictures by myself from Sunday 24/03/19 approx 1115 showing the spiral staircase at the front elevation of now named New Bridge Hotel, former Centre Hotel/ Premier Inn, Newcastle, part of the pedestrian link from city centre, including across the Blue Carpet area, Higham Place, Newcastle, to Manors, over the CME East, Newcastle, showing that deterioration of the staircase continues

and viewed across "Blue Carpet" area

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN

Last edited by Ken O'Heed; March 25th, 2019 at 03:45 PM.
Old April 15th, 2019, 11:02 PM   #54
Newcastle Historian
Moderator and Archivist

Likes (Received): 2098

Plans for Newcastle's 'most luxurious hotel' could be killed by some 1970s concrete

Objectors don't want Newcastle's "most luxurious hotel" to see the light of day, as it could make walking into the city centre more dangerous. Developers want to build a multi-million pound 180-room hotel in New Bridge Street, creating around 200 jobs, but the walkways over the Central Motorway would be removed, a move critics are up in arms over.

"This part of the city is already terrible for pedestrian (and) cycle access: a miserable concrete jungle of motorways," stated one official objection to the Gainford Group's plans. "I'm no great fan of the current high level walkway, but stopping up the right of way altogether seems even worse." Another, who certainly is a great fan of the walkways, told Newcastle City Council: "Call me a nerd, but these really are my favourite bits of architecture in the centre of the city. I wish that I could effectively describe to you how upsetting I find it that an area of public access is being taken from us."

Read More / See Photos - https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...nford-16105070
Newcastle Historian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2019, 12:16 AM   #55
thom85

Likes (Received): 78

Oh give us all a break. Please.

Knock the overpass down, knock the spiral staircase down. If it's such a magnificent piece of design, why is it unusable by anyone in a wheelchair or with a pushchair?

Clearly, the Central Motorway was a disaster in terms of dividing the city. Someone at some point (hopefully now) needs to come up with a strategy for reconnecting the East end of the city with the centre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcastle Historian View Post
Plans for Newcastle's 'most luxurious hotel' could be killed by some 1970s concrete

Objectors don't want Newcastle's "most luxurious hotel" to see the light of day, as it could make walking into the city centre more dangerous. Developers want to build a multi-million pound 180-room hotel in New Bridge Street, creating around 200 jobs, but the walkways over the Central Motorway would be removed, a move critics are up in arms over.

"This part of the city is already terrible for pedestrian (and) cycle access: a miserable concrete jungle of motorways," stated one official objection to the Gainford Group's plans. "I'm no great fan of the current high level walkway, but stopping up the right of way altogether seems even worse." Another, who certainly is a great fan of the walkways, told Newcastle City Council: "Call me a nerd, but these really are my favourite bits of architecture in the centre of the city. I wish that I could effectively describe to you how upsetting I find it that an area of public access is being taken from us."

Read More / See Photos - https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...nford-16105070
thom85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2019, 03:06 AM   #56
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom85 View Post
Oh give us all a break. Please.

Knock the overpass down, knock the spiral staircase down. If it's such a magnificent piece of design, why is it unusable by anyone in a wheelchair or with a pushchair?

Clearly, the Central Motorway was a disaster in terms of dividing the city. Someone at some point (hopefully now) needs to come up with a strategy for reconnecting the East end of the city with the centre.
If the developers came up with another way across the motorway I'd be with you. It might be possible to connect the now truncated bridge by the BoE site to the other side of the CME.

Like many others here I have been scathing about the spiral staircase and blue carpet. If you just chop the bridge and don't replace it it just makes the central motorway divide worse.

In fairness there is another access ramp to the bridge if you cross under the hotel. I suspect it would be tough in a wheelchair but the ramp would probably be ok with a pushchair.

For completeness the developer has a bit of form with plans and renders which are let's say not what gets built....
Old April 16th, 2019, 02:31 PM   #57
elliott

Don't see the issue, if the council won't pay for a much needed replacement, then ask (put it as a planning condition S106) the developers to pay for a new section to link to Market Street,

Another crap drawing, on Flickr

Obviously, this isn't to scale as would need to match the height of current road section for bus clearance.
Old April 16th, 2019, 03:00 PM   #58
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
Don't see the issue, if the council won't pay for a much needed replacement, then ask (put it as a planning condition S106) the developers to pay for a new section to link to Market Street,

Another crap drawing, on Flickr

Obviously, this isn't to scale as would need to match the height of current road section for bus clearance.
This is some new use of the word 'ask' I assume
Old April 16th, 2019, 03:14 PM   #59
elliott

Haha, well I mean tell them. The bit of pavement in the above photo isn't used for anything bar access to the bridge, so they can basically do anything. But if they just bought an off the shelf style bridge for the new landing section (don't even need to replace the rest of the bridge), purely functional so the link remains open (sure this will irk No Opinion, but just being realistic) it wouldn't cost too much and keep this footbridge open.

What I'd prefer would be a contribution from the developers to a completely new bridge that has some flair.
Old April 16th, 2019, 03:23 PM   #60
newcastlepubs
Light touch moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
Haha, well I mean tell them. The bit of pavement in the above photo isn't used for anything bar access to the bridge, so they can basically do anything. But if they just bought an off the shelf style bridge for the new landing section (don't even need to replace the rest of the bridge), purely functional so the link remains open (sure this will irk No Opinion, but just being realistic) it wouldn't cost too much and keep this footbridge open.

What I'd prefer would be a contribution from the developers to a completely new bridge that has some flair.
At least something like the bridge connecting to Northumbria. Parenthetically Roma Agrawa talks about being the structural engineer on it [sketches etc etc] in her book 'Built'. Quite a decent read too.

https://www.romatheengineer.com/show...?pagename=home

Godscrasher liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hotel, hotels, newcastle, project, project - newcastle area, projects