Proposed | MELBOURNE: Suburban Rail Loop - Page 15 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old Today, 09:59 AM   #281
zoomwhoosh

Likes (Received): 1323

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2 View Post
I'd assume the service frequency they would run to MEL would be too much for a single track.

Though Brisbane has a single track airport branch, with 30 minute frequencies outside of peak periods

Regarding the Brisbane line it's a symptom of being fully funded by a private company that has to recoup their investment and turn a profit.
The Brisbane airport line is single track for only 6 km and its dual track at the airport end. If the Melbourne airport train were both very fast and going to serve the airport only, then you could get away with single track for part of its length.
zoomwhoosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Today, 10:05 AM   #282
zoomwhoosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hephaestus10 View Post
RRL would be sparked to provide metro services to Wyndham Vale. But KJBrissy is right that what I said about regional trains using the MARL hasn't been confirmed by the government, I was conflating the private consortium AirRail bid (which had said explicitly that the MARL will carry Geelong and Ballarat trains) with the western rail plan.

The government is currently saying: "Additional tracks between Sunshine and the CBD to cater for faster and more frequent metro and regional trains. This would most likely be a new tunnel that would be part of Melbourne Airport Rail."

So yes, I guess it's still up in the air what will use the new pair: MARL will add two new tracks, and between Sunshine and the CBD we will have: airport trains, future sparked trains to Wyndham Vale and Melton, VLine to Geelong, Ballarat and Bendigo, and the existing Sunbury line. So I guess the question is how much spare capacity the MARL will have and how that can best be utilised.
I read the Air Rail bid as "we're putting that up as an option just to cover all bases".

But what I don't fully understand is the following. If the MARL were purely stand alone (no regional trains using it) is there sufficient tracks etc in the current system for regional trains coming through Sunshine? Is extra tracks/tunnel actually necessary for them?

If MARL were sufficiently well designed and fast it could be used for trains to the north (Seymour, Shepparton, Albury) as an interim step towards high speed rail. And yes by implication that would mean that all other regional trains including Bendigo would have to use something else.
Old Today, 10:20 AM   #283
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 4942

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomwhoosh View Post
My presumption is that they will both run trains through Melton to Werribee and also run trains through Sunshine and Wyndham Vale to Werribee.

My question to you is, what will be the frequency of service on both these routes to Werribee off peak?
Very much doubt you'll see a Melton to Werribee service. Almost guarantee an interchange will be required at either Deer Park, Ardeer or Sunshine.

The question is therefore irrelevant as I foresee a connection in one direction only.
Old Today, 01:24 PM   #284
DAJAN

Likes (Received): 1165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca-GC View Post
Even Queensland Rail has learned the error of their ways and started building dual track from first construction (e.g. extension to Varsity Lakes, Springfield, and Kippa Ring).
Unlike South Australia.
DAJAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:36 PM   #285
zoomwhoosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJBrissy View Post
Very much doubt you'll see a Melton to Werribee service. Almost guarantee an interchange will be required at either Deer Park, Ardeer or Sunshine.

The question is therefore irrelevant as I foresee a connection in one direction only.
Oops sorry I meant Newport, not Melton. Was mobile and not paying attention.
Old Today, 10:16 PM   #286
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 4942

Are you talking current frequency or in 30 or 40 years or are you talking about peak frequency. These are very different answers.
Advertisement

Tags
mandurahboyz