High Speed Rail 2 (HS2) - Page 276 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Birmingham Metro Area Transport Projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 1st, 2019, 08:56 PM   #5501
astropa

Likes (Received): 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCountryAl View Post
Apparently Umunna won't.
Well neither of them has a chance of being PM before 2022 and the London Birmingham stretch will be half built by then. It’s Boris that worries me, he is likely to be PM by the end of th year and although a likeable character is a bit knee jerk IMHO. Let’s hope h has some very good advisers.
astropa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 1st, 2019, 11:33 PM   #5502
ROYAL BLUE

Likes (Received): 1345

Quote:
Originally Posted by astropa View Post
Well neither of them has a chance of being PM before 2022 and the London Birmingham stretch will be half built by then. It’s Boris that worries me, he is likely to be PM by the end of th year and although a likeable character is a bit knee jerk IMHO. Let’s hope h has some very good advisers.
Boris alone won’t have the Power to stop it surely? Phase One has passed through Parliament.

He may well stop further phases, which would, from a purely selfish Brummie Point of View, be Brilliant for us.

Force_alfa, Kingsheathen liked this post
ROYAL BLUE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2019, 09:39 AM   #5503
blueboy

Likes (Received): 419

I don't think even Borris actually intends to stop it, it's just political posturing in my opinion, I certainly don't think our part will be stopped anyway.

RalphGuy liked this post
blueboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2019, 10:32 AM   #5504
Billsmothers

Likes (Received): 1556

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL BLUE View Post
He may well stop further phases, which would, from a purely selfish Brummie Point of View, be Brilliant for us.
That's a very shortsighted view. The idea is surely to improve connections across the whole country, not just to London. That new half-mile-long station is going to be a white elephant if it only operates a shuttle service to Euston

RalphGuy, Vulcan's Finest, jonfsnow liked this post
Billsmothers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2019, 05:07 PM   #5505
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4116

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROYAL BLUE View Post
Boris alone won’t have the Power to stop it surely? Phase One has passed through Parliament.

On the contrary RB, I think we'd all miss out on better connections to the north. I for one would be very disappointed if they cancelled later phases.

jonfsnow liked this post
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2019, 05:23 PM   #5506
Force_alfa

Likes (Received): 455

I agree with Royal Blue, on a personal reason the phase 2 stretch would be ideal for people to get to the north and businesses to an extent.

However as mention by Royal blue, economically no phase 2s would make Birmingham at the top of the list for 99% of businesses in london that are consider moving out, which is going to happen a lot going forward.

Lets not forget the London economy generates 30% of the nation GDP. So getting a little bit of that would only make this city prosper much more than the other northern cities

I would like phase 2 to happen, as it would make life so much easier. as driving to leeds wouldnt make sense. lol

blueboy, jonfsnow liked this post

Last edited by Force_alfa; July 2nd, 2019 at 05:30 PM.
Force_alfa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2019, 06:07 PM   #5507
Billsmothers

Likes (Received): 1556

On the face of it, HS2 was the perfect gift for Birmingham, offering the long-term prospect of being at the centre of a new national network while giving it the initial advantage of being linked to London's economy first.
Old July 2nd, 2019, 10:08 PM   #5508
Blunther
Kebab Licker

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by astropa View Post
It’s Boris that worries me, he is likely to be PM by the end of th year and although a likeable character...
A what now?! Likeable? Christ.

Brummyboy92, leonigmig liked this post
Blunther no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2019, 05:28 PM   #5509
RalphGuy

Crewe HS hub moves to next stage.

www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/crewe-hs2-hub-moves-to-next-stage

Hasaandoo, CL81 liked this post
Old July 5th, 2019, 10:25 PM   #5510
Hasaandoo

Likes (Received): 1424

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post

Great news that they are pressing ahead with plans
Hasaandoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2019, 09:39 PM   #5511
Hasaandoo

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/new...awing-16564382

MP insists planned HS2 station isn't good enough for Birmingham

Birmingham needs a 'world class' railway station and not something that feels like sitting in an airport terminal, according to one city MP

Birmingham needs a 'world class' railway station and not something that feels like sitting in an airport terminal, according to one city MP

The team behind Birmingham's planned HS2 railway station at Curzon Street have been told to "go back to the drawing board".

City MP Liam Byrne said the proposed design was "just not good enough".

And he said Birmingham deserved a station that was "truly world-class".

The planned station, in the area of the city centre known as Eastside, is due to open in 2026. It will include seven platforms, to be used by high speed HS2 trains running to destinations including Manchester, London, Leeds, Sheffield, Newcastle and Glasgow.

It will be close to Moor Street station, while the Millennium Point development and historic Curzon Street station building are to the north of the site.

CGI of the new HS2 station in Curzon Street, Birmingham
CGI of the new HS2 station in Curzon Street, Birmingham (Image: HS2)
But Mr Byrne (Lab Hodge Hill) was not impressed when designs for the station, as well as the design of a second HS2 station in Solihull, were revealed in October last year.

Architects say it will have the "ambiance of a modern airport terminal".

However, Mr Byrne says that is not good enough for Birmingham. He is calling for "something extraordinary" and wants the station to include a Museum of Industrial Revolutions, which could be used to display first steam engines, cars and early computers.

CGI of plans for the new HS2 station in Curzon Street, Birmingham
He said: "Curzon Street is simply not up to these standards. Its graceful front arch could just about pass muster as an homage to Ironbridge and a nod to our history as the home of the industrial revolution — but it is a cursory nod. The truth is passengers will arrive thinking they have arrived in any other ‘modern airport terminal’.

"Surely we want people to know that they’ve arrived in the HOME of the industrial revolution, and a region determined to lead the Green Revolution of the 21st century?"

However, he insisted the HS2 high speed rail scheme was essential.

Speaking in a Parliamentary debate, he said: "If we actually measure what we treasure, we will see quite clearly that high speed two is one of the best value projects this country has contemplated or many years."

He said HS2 would bring 33,000 jobs around Curzon Street.

"This is the most important fiscal stimulus outside London and the South East."

And he said cancelling HS2 would bring the West Midlands "back into recession".

MP Liam Byrne
MP Liam Byrne
Conservative MP Andrea Leadsom, the former leader of the Commons, told the debate HS2 should be scrapped.

And suggesting that the rail scheme would eventually cost £100 billion, Conservative MP Victoria Prentice, who represents North Oxfordshire, said: "I do not feel that £100bn is worth some jobs in Birmingham.

"I think there may be other ways of assisting with employment in Birmingham than spending £100bn of taxpayers' money."

Former Conservative Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin spoke in the debate to support HS2.

—-

I do love the station but I do agree with some point about the station would be amazing if it had a museum of some sort
Old July 10th, 2019, 09:43 PM   #5512
Hasaandoo

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/...ngham-mp-says/

£100bn on HS2 not worth spending to create ‘some jobs in Birmingham’, MP says

1 hour ago

Victoria Prentis
Spending £100 billion on HS2 is not worth doing to create “some jobs in Birmingham”, an MP has said, amid fears over the spiralling cost of the rail project.

Tory MP Victoria Prentis (Banbury) questioned whether the cost of building HS2, which MPs heard could be more than £100 billion, is worth it, saying there are more cost-effective ways to boost employment in the UK.

The remarks came during a Westminster Hall debate on HS2, during which MPs heard the project could help bring jobs to UK cities.

The official budget of the high speed rail link, connecting London with cities like Birmingham, Leeds, and Manchester, and Liverpool, is £55.7 billion, a figure which Transport minister Nusrat Ghani said she is “confident” is still accurate.

Members of STOP HS2 with their 10 foot high inflatable white elephant outside Parliament
Members of STOP HS2 with their 10 foot high inflatable white elephant outside Parliament
MPs heard, however, the final cost could end up being more than £100 billion.

Leading the debate, Tory former Commons leader Andrea Leadsom said the current business case for HS2 “bears little resemblance” to what Parliament had initially voted on and called for it to be subject to a full review.

Ms Leadsom (South Northamptonshire) said: “I am alarmed at just how much the business case for HS2 has changed since the project was initially proposed.”

She added: “There are concerns, as honourable members have already set out, that have been raised by industry experts and former whistle blowers from the company, that the total cost for HS2 may very well be in excess of £100 billion.”

Labour former minister Liam Byrne, however, said HS2 is vital to boost jobs, especially in Birmingham.

He said the Midlands risked being pushed into recession unless the project goes ahead.

Mr Byrne (Birmingham, Hodge Hill) said: “If we measure what we treasure we will see quite clearly that High Speed 2 is one of the best value for money projects that this country has contemplated for many, many years.”

He added: “Coming from Birmingham, what I treasure is jobs. That’s because we have had the slowest jobs recovery of any city region since the financial crisis, and High Speed 2 brings lots and lots of jobs. Not at some distant point in the future, but in the next five years.”

Liam Byrne
Liam Byrne said the scheme is vital for jobs in cities like Birmingham
He said if HS2 was cancelled he would “bet his bottom dollar” the Midlands would be put back into recession within a year.

He said east Birmingham has some of the worst unemployment and youth unemployment in the country.

He added: “We have a chance ahead of us to wipe that youth unemployment out, but only if we grasp the nettle in driving through High Speed 2.”

Ms Prentis, however, said: “I do not feel that £100 billion is worth some jobs in Birmingham. I think there may be other ways in assisting with employment in Birmingham than spending £100 billion of taxpayer’s money.”

She added: “HS2 is a white elephant that is trampling over the dreams and aspirations of my constituents and I cannot support it.”

Shadow transport minister Rachael Maskell said the main issues are with the management of the scheme, rather than with the scheme itself, and said Transport Secretary Chris Grayling is “not doing his job in Calling HS2 to account”.

Ms Maskell, said HS2 could bring positives, including helping reducing carbon emissions by getting cars off the roads and getting more road-based freight onto trains.

She said improved connectivity and reliability are central to this, and said HS2 has a vital role to play in helping with the “rebirthing” of economies in the Midlands. She said, however, that the project must be peer-reviewed to make sure the engineering and the value are right.

Ms Ghani said: “If we just reflect on the infrastructure we have in place at the moment, it is 150 years old, it is an over-stretched Victorian network.”

She said many parts of the network are already operating at peak capacity, and are expected to see further growth in coming years, and said HS2 is “crucial” to keep the UK moving.

She said jobs and small businesses are boosted by the “ambitious” project.

Despite fears of delays and spiralling costs, Ms Ghani said: “I can confidently stand here today and say the budget is £55.7 billion, and the timetable is 2026 and 2033.”
Old July 11th, 2019, 03:06 PM   #5513
SMUK86

Likes (Received): 1251

Bid race for station cancelled due to lack of interest from contractors:

https://www.constructionenquirer.com...treet-station/
SMUK86 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2019, 04:22 PM   #5514
RalphGuy

Industry rallies to warn Treasury on cost of HS2 backtrack.

www.constructionenquirer.com/2019/07/11/industry-warns-treasury-on-cost-of-hs2-backtrack/

Kingsheathen, SMUK86 liked this post
Old July 11th, 2019, 05:35 PM   #5515
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2459

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
Industry rallies to warn Treasury on cost of HS2 backtrack.

www.constructionenquirer.com/2019/07/11/industry-warns-treasury-on-cost-of-hs2-backtrack/
Some interesting findings in that report.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2019, 05:52 PM   #5516
Hasaandoo

High Speed Rail 2 (HS2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
Some interesting findings in that report.

Can you sum it up for us djay
Old July 11th, 2019, 09:25 PM   #5517
ROYAL BLUE

Likes (Received): 1345

Bojo and Hunt both said they won’t cancel HS2 during the ITV debate a couple of nights ago.

Bojo did make a comment about keeping an eye on the costs though.

RalphGuy, blueboy, metrogogo liked this post
ROYAL BLUE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 11:12 AM   #5518
brumthom

Likes (Received): 49

I met the head of HS2 infrastructure the other day. 10 billion has already been spent on this. Also, they've gone ahead and secured two custom boring machines to tunnel through the Chilterns. I read this as a sneaky way of spending the money to reduce the chance of a backtrack. They're literally chomping at the bit to start main works so when they get the notice to proceed, they'll be off.

The two options are scrap it and waste all that money or proceed. There would be no chance of them pausing it because the costs to restart everything that's put on hold would be astronomical.

I'm hoping to visit the enabling works site in Brum fairly soon. Will hopefully get some pics.
Old July 12th, 2019, 11:19 AM   #5519
jonfsnow

Likes (Received): 1360

Any ideas why? - http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/westm...street-station

I'd be worried that contractors are of the opinion that it won't happen so don't want to start a project that will be cancelled.
jonfsnow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2019, 12:03 PM   #5520
Hasaandoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfsnow View Post
Any ideas why? - http://www.thebusinessdesk.com/westm...street-station

I'd be worried that contractors are of the opinion that it won't happen so don't want to start a project that will be cancelled.

I wouldn’t worry tbh as it doesn’t make sense to cancel it. There is contractors building the london stations, I think it just harsh business condition that has deterred contractors away. I’m sure there someone who definitely going to build curzon street station
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
high speed rail, high speed train, hs2, network rail, rail, railway station, railways, transport