Eastside Locks | Plots D,E,F | Mixed-Use | 37/18/10/9/5fl | 123/60/40/36/20m | Appr. - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 17th, 2019, 08:26 PM   #61
Lucas98

Likes (Received): 282

Excellent news if that is the case, I am sure the proposal for the Snowhill tower would not be too far behind either!

The thing I find most exciting about this development is I am more certain Berkeley will get this done with the pace that Snowhill wharf moved along unlike other proposals which have been a bit stagnant.

RalphGuy, Hasaandoo, mylesbrum liked this post
Lucas98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2019, 08:29 PM   #62
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 4056

I'm sure the Snow Hill tower won't be far behind but I wasn't able to gain any further information.

Yep, totally agree Lucas. I think this site is in very good hands. Hope it's the 'second' of many.

Lucas98 liked this post
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2019, 08:44 PM   #63
Hasaandoo

Likes (Received): 1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
I'm sure the Snow Hill tower won't be far behind but I wasn't able to gain any further information.

Yep, totally agree Lucas. I think this site is in very good hands. Hope it's the 'second' of many.

Which snow hill tower is this?
Hasaandoo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 17th, 2019, 08:46 PM   #64
RalphGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasaandoo View Post
Which snow hill tower is this?

Opposite where Snow Hill 2 is, on the former Lumina proposal site. We were told around September time last year that it would be about 300 homes. We don't know the height.

Last edited by RalphGuy; March 17th, 2019 at 08:52 PM.
Old March 17th, 2019, 09:16 PM   #65
Hasaandoo

Quote:
Opposite where Snow Hill 2 is, on the former Lumina proposal site. We were told around September time last year that it would be about 300 homes. We don't know the height.

Ohhhh nice! 300 homes that quite a bit should be expecting a quality build with some height

RalphGuy liked this post
Old March 17th, 2019, 09:18 PM   #66
RalphGuy

Quote:
Ohhhh nice! 300 homes that quite a bit should be expecting a quality build with some height

You've just forgotten this Hasaandoo. (Call the police someone. Hasaandoo has forgotten a proposal). I remember you commenting on it at the time we found out about it. We're expecting it to be tall.

Hasaandoo liked this post
Old March 17th, 2019, 09:28 PM   #67
Hasaandoo

Quote:
You've just forgotten this Hasaandoo. (Call the police someone. Hasaandoo has forgotten a proposal). I remember you commenting on it at the time we found out about it. We're expecting it to be tall.

my baddddddd I knew there was something on lumina never knew it was a Berkeley development I though it was the bomb site car park or is that a completely different development. Berkeley did say they値l make the tallest tower in Birmingham, so above 146m

RalphGuy liked this post
Old March 17th, 2019, 09:41 PM   #68
RalphGuy

Quote:
my baddddddd I knew there was something on lumina never knew it was a Berkeley development I though it was the bomb site car park or is that a completely different development. Berkeley did say they値l make the tallest tower in Birmingham, so above 146m

Didn't know Berkeley were saying it was going to be the tallest. I'm expecting 30-35 storeys but that's only a guess. No inside knowledge.

The Bomb Site car park was Sterling but we now think it is Moda.

Hasaandoo liked this post
Old March 17th, 2019, 09:41 PM   #69
sefton66

Likes (Received): 7041

Quote:
I have it on good authority that a planning application for the redevelopment of this site has already been submitted and that we may see it appear on the planning portal next week.

Before anyone asks and derails the thread, I was unable to gain any information on the proposed Snow Hill tower.
It has been submitted...

Unfortunately it’s for hoardings...

Application Details
Application Number2019/02006/PA
Application TypeFull Planning
Site AddressLand at Eastside Locks Plots D, E and F Birmingham
ProposalErection of temporary hoarding to site boundary
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2019, 09:44 PM   #70
RalphGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
It has been submitted...

Unfortunately it痴 for hoardings...

Hoardings app has been submitted and validated.

Proposals app has also been submitted and is awaiting validation by BCC. We may hear next week.

Brum X, mylesbrum, Lucas98 liked this post
Old March 17th, 2019, 10:29 PM   #71
Hasaandoo

Quote:
Didn't know Berkeley were saying it was going to be the tallest. I'm expecting 30-35 storeys but that's only a guess. No inside knowledge.

I知 sure when the announced that they値l be building in Birmingham they stated they値l build the biggest tower in Birmingham, unless they got another sight apart from this and lumina and snow hill wharf

RalphGuy liked this post
Old March 17th, 2019, 11:33 PM   #72
RalphGuy

Quote:
I知 sure when the announced that they値l be building in Birmingham they stated they値l build the biggest tower in Birmingham, unless they got another sight apart from this and lumina and snow hill wharf

There were a couple of other sites they were looking at when we found out about this site back in September but they wouldn't give any more info at the time because neither site was in the public domain.It appears that is still the case.

Tony Pidgeley, the Chairman of the company, said last year that they want to be building 3,000 homes a year in Birmingham if my memory serves me well so we should hear more from them this year.

Hasaandoo, mylesbrum liked this post
Old March 17th, 2019, 11:52 PM   #73
coathanger16

Likes (Received): 47

Quote:

Apologies for my ignorance, but where is the Bomb Site car park?

Is it on the Birmingham Interactive Map?
coathanger16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2019, 11:57 PM   #74
RalphGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coathanger16 View Post
Apologies for my ignorance, but where is the Bomb Site car park?

Is it on the Birmingham Interactive Map?

It's on Great Charles Street, between Ludgate Hill and Livery Street.

Don't know.

I went to a consultation for a development proposal on the site back in September 2015 but it never saw the light of day.

Last edited by RalphGuy; March 18th, 2019 at 12:13 AM.
Old March 18th, 2019, 09:12 AM   #75
djay
The promised land

Likes (Received): 2439

Quote:

Tony Pidgeley, the Chairman of the company, said last year that they want to be building 3,000 homes a year in Birmingham if my memory serves me well so we should hear more from them this year.
I’m still sceptical about that. Most developers only build a max of 150 a year on a good day. I think he misspoke and meant 3000 homes over a period. To put it into context, the Council think there is land for about 20-30000 homes in the City Centre. Over 10 yrs these guys would have met that alone which doesn’t seem correct.

Seven Cap who have been prolific haven’t managed anywhere near 1000 homes a year never mind 3K.

If I ain't the one I'm the prototype
djay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2019, 11:36 AM   #76
Fidget808

Likes (Received): 899

The former Lumina site is going to be 30 something floors and plans are close to be being made public.

And Moda are in the process of drawing up plans for the Great Charles Street Car Park. I don't think you'll see anything mega tall there. The planners are quite anti it in that location. The only building of any height is allowed in the front right hand corner (by the viaduct).

And apologies for going off topic!
Fidget808 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2019, 01:19 PM   #77
RalphGuy

Fidget, people are welcome to go off topic when they are giving excellent news. (NB. People will obviously go off topic at times, that's understandable. It's just when threads get completely derailed that it's a problem).

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay View Post
I知 still sceptical about that. Most developers only build a max of 150 a year on a good day. I think he misspoke and meant 3000 homes over a period. To put it into context, the Council think there is land for about 20-30000 homes in the City Centre. Over 10 yrs these guys would have met that alone which doesn稚 seem correct.

Seven Cap who have been prolific haven稚 managed anywhere near 1000 homes a year never mind 3K.

I may have misquoted but I don't think I have. I seem to remember it was 3,000 a year. It does sound a lot but if they're building tall and building in the suburbs as well, they could achieve a high annual total. That said, it does sound an awful lot of homes to be building every year.
Old March 18th, 2019, 02:26 PM   #78
Bear Would Ian
BWI

Likes (Received): 528

Quote:
Fidget, people are welcome to go off topic when they are giving excellent news. (NB. People will obviously go off topic at times, that's understandable. It's just when threads get completely derailed that it's a problem).

I may have misquoted but I don't think I have. I seem to remember it was 3,000 a year. It does sound a lot but if they're building tall and building in the suburbs as well, they could achieve a high annual total. That said, it does sound an awful lot of homes to be building every year.
You remembered correctly RalphyGuy! It was from an interview with Birmingham Mail on September 27th last year:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/new...homes-15169215

Whether they misquoted him is a different matter but you would have thought it would have been corrected by them or him if it wasn't what he said.

ETA: although he did include 'surrounding areas', which might include the wider west midlands and even east midlands too.

RalphGuy liked this post

Last edited by Bear Would Ian; March 18th, 2019 at 02:35 PM.
Bear Would Ian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2019, 02:36 PM   #79
Force_alfa

Likes (Received): 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidget808 View Post
The former Lumina site is going to be 30 something floors and plans are close to be being made public.

And Moda are in the process of drawing up plans for the Great Charles Street Car Park. I don't think you'll see anything mega tall there. The planners are quite anti it in that location. The only building of any height is allowed in the front right hand corner (by the viaduct).

And apologies for going off topic!
Thanks Fidget for this info! one question and promise back on topic after. will the lumina site be a commercial building or apartments
Force_alfa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2019, 02:54 PM   #80
RalphGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force_alfa View Post
Thanks Fidget for this info! one question and promise back on topic after. will the lumina site be a commercial building or apartments

Around 300 apartments.

Kingsheathen liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement