[NL] The Netherlands | road infrastructure • autosnelwegen - Page 829 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 18th, 2019, 08:32 AM   #16561
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 8653

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostas97 View Post
Concerning this tractor protest....they kinda copied Greece on that, didn't they??
[IMG]
By the way, this is a photo from the Greek forum and it shows the protests of farmers from February 2019, you can see this post here
No, this happens about once a generation. This was in 1990 when the tractors actually
drove onto parliament square (the army prevented that this time around):

Source: NOS.

EPA001 liked this post
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 18th, 2019, 02:03 PM   #16562
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 26156

Seems older people still used to write ij as y. I wonder when such usage fell out of fashion.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2019, 04:51 PM   #16563
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 26784

A76 Nuth II

Another photo of the new Nuth interchange of A76.

Photo: Buitenring Parkstad Limburg
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2019, 08:57 PM   #16564
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Seems older people still used to write ij as y. I wonder when such usage fell out of fashion.

It takes up less space....

Afrikaans does use an actual “y” where Dutch has “ij.”

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2019, 05:35 AM   #16565
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 8653

Quote:
I can only speak for my own family but my grandparents (who went to primary school before the second world war), sometimes use "y" instead of "ij". To them, both letters were (are) completely interchangeable.

Everyone who went to primary school after the second world war, was taught that "ij" and "y" are two distinct and different letters.

But because we were also taught to write in manuscript, the difference was usually negligible. The letters were written the same, apart from the dots.

It wasn't until the computer age that the distinction became very clear.

All of this is summed up pretty well by the image below.

The first row = what my grandparents might have been taught at school. They would probably not bother with the dots in the first word. To them, the dots are optional.

The second row is what my parents and my siblings and me were taught at school. The two letters are technically different, but in manuscript, it's hard to tell them apart.

The third row is the definitive split thanks to the computer age because you can't reproduce the halfway-letter from the second line on a keyboard.

Old October 20th, 2019, 11:42 PM   #16566
aswnl

Likes (Received): 89

Quote:
When writing in capitals the dots on top disappear. That's quite normal.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 03:28 AM   #16567
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 12113

Elderly are used to an ij key being on a Dutch typewriter. We lost that one when we adopter regular qwerty keyboards. Fun fact there is actually a Dutch keyboard layout, but it just changes the punctuation marks, so it makes no sense and is never used.
MrAronymous está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 04:15 AM   #16568
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 999

[NL] The Netherlands | road infrastructure • autosnelwegen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAronymous View Post
Elderly are used to an ij key being on a Dutch typewriter. We lost that one when we adopter regular qwerty keyboards. Fun fact there is actually a Dutch keyboard layout, but it just changes the punctuation marks, so it makes no sense and is never used.

And there’s a “Dutch (Belgian)” option in Windows which I assume is identical to Belgian french except that it doesn’t do things like inserting spaces in front of question marks. Nearly identical to French French. There is a Canadian French option that’s QWERTY, but I never use it because I’m used to where accents and so on fall in the French-French option.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 11:26 AM   #16569
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 26156

What is the progress on the Blankenburg Tunnel project? Is it also affected by the nitrogen issue?
Old October 21st, 2019, 05:30 PM   #16570
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 7025

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
And there’s a “Dutch (Belgian)” option in Windows which I assume is identical to Belgian french except that it doesn’t do things like inserting spaces in front of question marks. Nearly identical to French French. There is a Canadian French option that’s QWERTY, but I never use it because I’m used to where accents and so on fall in the French-French option.
That's because the Dutch (Dutch) option writes in Querty and and the Dutch(Belgian) option writes in Azerty. No one uses Querty in Flanders. Always watch out when you buy a computer in Flanders it's not ment for the Dutch market

Slagathor, Penn's Woods liked this post
joshsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 06:22 PM   #16571
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
What is the progress on the Blankenburg Tunnel project? Is it also affected by the nitrogen issue?
The Blankenburg Tunnel is already significantly in progress. It is not affected by the nitrogen deadlock. Most large projects are unlikely to be stopped entirely, they will just have to restudy and compensate any nitrogen.

Nitrogen issues can be resolved by executing the 'ADC test', where you quantify alternatives (A) urgent public importance (D) and compensation (C). Since alternatives are widely surveyed during the plan approval stage, this can be skipped. Public importance is easy to demonstrate for large projecs and compensation is not a difficult thing if you have a 100+ million project.

Smaller projects and activities are less likely to be able to be put through the 'ADC test'. You are unlikely to demonstrate any urgent public importance for a farm expansion.

However there is another issue: PFASs. New guidelines for soil removal containing one of 6000 non-degradable substances have been published in July and the limits are so strict that an estimated 85% of soil doesn't meet those standards, so they can't do any earthworks for construction projects.

This really has the potential for an economic downturn since almost the entire construction sector could come to a halt. This goes far beyond road projects.

travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube
Old October 21st, 2019, 10:25 PM   #16572
Attus

Likes (Received): 1677

From 2:00.
What is the correct way of driving in such a case in the Netherlands? In Germany it's mandatory to use both lanes and do zip merge at the end.
(If there's no congestion, you're free to change the lane earlier of course).
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2019, 11:18 PM   #16573
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A zipper merge is called 'ritsen' in Dutch (it means the same).

Usually there are signs annoucing the zipper merge in 300 m and then 'ritsen vanaf hier' (zipper merge from here).

I don't think it's illegal to pass a queue on the left and merge at the last possible moment, though as seen in the video it isn't uncommon for some drivers to impersonate a police officer....

I would say it is generally seen as rude to fly by a queue and then expect people to give you space to merge, but it depends on the situation. Some people want to zipper merge nearly at standstill 2 km before the actual merging point, which is holding up traffic as well. I usually find a gap in traffic some 300-400 meters before the lane ends, though it depends if traffic is stationary or slow moving.

BriedisUnIzlietne, Attus liked this post
Old October 21st, 2019, 11:57 PM   #16574
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 1087

To most drivers in Europe, that's considered a dick move... but in fact it's just a better use of capacity. It moves the bottleneck a bit downstream.

Late merging in moving traffic is a danger, but there's no point in not doing it in stationary conditions, the only thing that may get hurt is some people's pride.

I'd be curious to see how the transition happens, though.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2019, 12:36 PM   #16575
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A27 Oosterhout

How to build a column in the middle of the motorway in 48 hours.

Old October 22nd, 2019, 12:51 PM   #16576
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
It moves the bottleneck a bit downstream.
Exactly, drivers who merge early are idiots, the zipper function as a buffer for a specific capacity, merging early moves the jam back, which causes the route to exits like pictured to be clogged up unnecessarily.

Merge at the end 1 car left 1 car right. And give Article 5 WVW fines for hindering traffic for ''sherrifs'' that block the left lane.

Quote:
I don't think it's illegal to pass a queue on the left and merge at the last possible moment, though as seen in the video it isn't uncommon for some drivers to impersonate a police officer....
These are just guidelines and not in the RVV/WvW, officially the people changing lanes have to yield, but the social etiquette is 1 car left 1 car right, at the END. I love the dashcam video's from Poland where the ''Sherifs'' are being taught a lesson by being bypassed and not left to merge back in .

But people who merge early, or people who block passage on the left lane, are idiots who are guilty of hindering traffic. They are causing unnecessary traffic jams, blocked junctions or blocked exits...

Quote:
Concerning this tractor protest....they kinda copied Greece on that, didn't they??
I don't understand why they were not fined for going on a motorway, tractors have nothing to search for on motorways. Just like the ''blokkeerfirezen'', everyone hindering traffic on motorways, especially if they aren't allowed on it on the first place, should be fined with article 5 .

The chaos they are causing on the roads.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2019, 01:34 PM   #16577
MichiH

Likes (Received): 3069

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
Exactly, drivers who merge early are idiots,
It's a hard word. Let's say, they just don't know better!
And it's absolutely fine when there is low traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
the zipper function as a buffer for a specific capacity, merging early moves the jam back, which causes the route to exits like pictured to be clogged up unnecessarily.
Not just that but it's said that when there is just one merging point - at the very end of the lane - the merging procedure is quicker and safer. As long as you are in the queue, you just need to drive as fast as the car in front of you. There is only one point where the drivers on the lane continuing must create a small gap and the drivers on the lane ending must look for that gap. And the gap should be created so that always one car from each lane merges. Not more, not less. Unfortunately, there are also "nice" drivers who create a bigger gap so that more than one car from the ending lane can merge. Some merge, some don't merge and wait for a gap behind that car. The result: chaos.

It's more difficult when there are trucks, for instance when a 2-laned carriageway is reduced to one lane only. Just image that there are only 40t trucks on the right lane and normal cars on the left lane. The rule is that always one vehicle of each lane should merge. In reality, more than one car from the left lane would merge.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AL, AND, B, BG, BIH, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, GR, H, HR, I, IRL, L, LV, LT, M, MC, MNE, N, NL, NMK, P, PL, RO, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, USA, V (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2019, 01:39 PM   #16578
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 3575

In Italy a zipper merge would never work.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2019, 01:41 PM   #16579
MichiH

Likes (Received): 3069

agree!

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AL, AND, B, BG, BIH, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, GR, H, HR, I, IRL, L, LV, LT, M, MC, MNE, N, NL, NMK, P, PL, RO, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, USA, V (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2019, 06:36 PM   #16580
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A trucker managed to park his truck on top of a crash barrier on N307 near Dronten this morning.

There are apparently new guidelines where they will change these sloped endpoints to crash attenuator / terminals.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands