Addis Ababa (አዲስ ኣበባ) | Ethiopia | City Gallery (PT.3) - Page 21 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Ethiopia > Club forums > Photography, Heritage & Architecture

Photography, Heritage & Architecture Cities, towns & villages

Old August 17th, 2015, 11:08 PM   #401
starchow

Likes (Received): 1085

ይቅር

Skyliner123 liked this post

Last edited by starchow; December 7th, 2018 at 05:09 AM.
starchow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2015, 12:37 AM   #402
AGAZI

Likes (Received): 441

Skyliner thanks so much for your hard work!! I knew there was a lot going on in Addis but this is unbelievable!

AGAZI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 03:23 AM   #403
venezian

Likes (Received): 39

venezian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 20th, 2015, 04:01 AM   #404
Skyliner123

Likes (Received): 6958

Thanks everyone, the pleasure was all mine.
Skyliner123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 08:35 AM   #405
[email protected]

Likes (Received): 2398

Wow ! sky u should share your pics with the media ! u could keep their mouth shut !

very nice. the city is incredibly booming !

Skyliner123, cptjosh, yosef liked this post
s@lomon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 10:21 PM   #406
kazanchis

Likes (Received): 649

Amen!, FKebede liked this post
kazanchis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2015, 03:29 PM   #407
Simfan34
Surprisingly optimistic!

Likes (Received): 3812

Finally, Skyline delivers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amen! View Post
Soon, they will go after the dilapidated National Theater which I say to that ,good riddance!
Noo!!!

Simfan34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2015, 01:02 PM   #408
eliasbeef

Likes (Received): 60

sorry guys if the first and second ones are already posted but I know the third one(the light Rail) is new..

The train turning in to it's base in Ayat

Ayat shopping mall which took nearly a decade....

Last edited by eliasbeef; August 24th, 2015 at 01:38 PM.
eliasbeef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2015, 02:01 PM   #409
GetLostInET

Likes (Received): 3019

Quote:
Thanks Skyliner123! These are indeed 'worth-waiting-for!'

Yezefen dardar ....

Soon, they will go after the dilapidated National Theater which I say to that ,good riddance!

But, my favorite picture is the last image you posted on 05:12am. It looks like a "house farm."
I agree with you on the pics but why not renovate the National Theater? Why is it necessary to get rid of old buildings that are historical? We need to maintain and preserve them not demolish everything that is old. Architecturally speaking also it brings contrast against all the tall glass buildings. Same should go to the Mekelakeya Ministry. Renovate and convert it into a Museum of Italian Invasion.

What should be demolished is the ugly ETV building.

Gimbegnaw, kazanchis liked this post
GetLostInET no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2015, 02:14 PM   #410
GetLostInET

Thanks for the pics Skyliner123. Great update. I really like the clean building you mentioned. On another point ... I hope I am wrong but I don't see any drainage space/holes on the underpass part of the rail bridge.

Old August 24th, 2015, 06:06 PM   #411
Abeneazer

Likes (Received): 23

Old August 24th, 2015, 08:59 PM   #412
begtera

Likes (Received): 1922

Quote:
Thanks Skyliner123!

!!
begtera no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2015, 10:30 PM   #413
AM2

Likes (Received): 3387

... wrong thread
AM2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2015, 12:05 AM   #414
Amen!

Likes (Received): 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetLostInET View Post
I agree with you on the pics but why not renovate the National Theater? Why is it necessary to get rid of old buildings that are historical? We need to maintain and preserve them not demolish everything that is old. Architecturally speaking also it brings contrast against all the tall glass buildings. Same should go to the Mekelakeya Ministry. Renovate and convert it into a Museum of Italian Invasion.

What should be demolished is the ugly ETV building.
Just because it is an old building doesn't make it a 'historic' building. I am not sure when it was conceived but there is just nothing about that building that coronates it as the center of national art and theater. I have seen better grocery whorehouses than that. I have even seen better looking mortuaries than the National Theater. Take away the colored glasses and the Yehuda Anbessa statute in front of it, what do you have? Nothing but simply a box which I think was designed by a TegbareEd drop out engineer. You cant tell me that a country of 90m people with such a rich art and culture tradition does not deserve an iconic building to showcase its heritage to its people and the rest of the world.

We hope that as the income level rises for some people they would have additional disposable income to spend on art and theater but given the limited parking there is , I am not sure how that will be possible.

I think they should relocate it to an area where there are other attractions including;malls, eateries, cinemas and so on with a huge parking space. It doesn't have to be another bulky building but it should show some imagination which I think we are capable of.

You have raised a very important issue which I agree with you; the issue of 'maintenance allowance' which doesn't seem to exist in our vocabulary. There are many decent buildings which could use some remodeling. While I agree there are many building in that area that could use some touch-up the Ministry of Defence (MD) isn't one of them. That building actually needs to relocate as well. Given the security threat challenges we live in, that's almost the last place you would want your top military men congregate on daily bases. That is the lesson the Americans learnt from their 1998 Nairobi Embassy bombings.I don't think the senior officials have a marked presence in that building which makes it an expensive prime estate for mid-level military personnel to frolic about. It is not pedestrian friendly as well as restricting public transit drops/pickups. It is just a sore-thumb which needs to be demolished and rebuilt as well.

Last edited by Amen!; August 25th, 2015 at 03:49 AM.
Amen! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2015, 12:18 AM   #415
Amen!

Likes (Received): 381

I love the earthiness of these new tunnels and roads which I hope they stay that way. They are just bare and organic. No nauseating neon light Ads, posters or signs. You can stroll or drive on these roads without someone forcing their opinions on your thoughts. I don't think I have ever seen such naked roads.

Amen! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2015, 04:24 AM   #416
Skyliner123

Likes (Received): 6958

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetLostInET View Post
Thanks for the pics Skyliner123. Great update. I really like the clean building you mentioned. On another point ... I hope I am wrong but I don't see any drainage space/holes on the underpass part of the rail bridge.
YEs fortunately, many of the newer buildings have nicer and cleaner finishing and not the cheap glass curtain walls. The Lideta/Legaher express underpass does indeed have drainage pipes on both sides of the roads. In fact, the drainage pipes on the lower deck have wider diameters than the ones on the middle deck. Even the rail bridge will have a drainage system.

yosef, GetLostInET liked this post
Skyliner123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2015, 01:44 AM   #417
GetLostInET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner123 View Post
YEs fortunately, many of the newer buildings have nicer and cleaner finishing and not the cheap glass curtain walls. The Lideta/Legaher express underpass does indeed have drainage pipes on both sides of the roads. In fact, the drainage pipes on the lower deck have wider diameters than the ones on the middle deck. Even the rail bridge will have a drainage system.
That is a relief . Thanks for the followup.

Old August 27th, 2015, 08:07 AM   #418
rasta55

Likes (Received): 582

mahatma gandhi street (near tewodros square)...

source: facebook (august 2015)

Wutang, FKebede liked this post
rasta55 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2015, 04:15 PM   #419
GetLostInET

Quote:
Just because it is an old building doesn't make it a 'historic' building. I am not sure when it was conceived but there is just nothing about that building that coronates it as the center of national art and theater. I have seen better grocery whorehouses than that. I have even seen better looking mortuaries than the National Theater. Take away the colored glasses and the Yehuda Anbessa statute in front of it, what do you have? Nothing but simply a box which I think was designed by a TegbareEd drop out engineer. You cant tell me that a country of 90m people with such a rich art and culture tradition does not deserve an iconic building to showcase its heritage to its people and the rest of the world.

We hope that as the income level rises for some people they would have additional disposable income to spend on art and theater but given the limited parking there is , I am not sure how that will be possible.

I think they should relocate it to an area where there are other attractions including;malls, eateries, cinemas and so on with a huge parking space. It doesn't have to be another bulky building but it should show some imagination which I think we are capable of.

You have raised a very important issue which I agree with you; the issue of 'maintenance allowance' which doesn't seem to exist in our vocabulary. There are many decent buildings which could use some remodeling. While I agree there are many building in that area that could use some touch-up the Ministry of Defence (MD) isn't one of them. That building actually needs to relocate as well. Given the security threat challenges we live in, that's almost the last place you would want your top military men congregate on daily bases. That is the lesson the Americans learnt from their 1998 Nairobi Embassy bombings.I don't think the senior officials have a marked presence in that building which makes it an expensive prime estate for mid-level military personnel to frolic about. It is not pedestrian friendly as well as restricting public transit drops/pickups. It is just a sore-thumb which needs to be demolished and rebuilt as well.
So can you find out when and why it was conceived then you can defend your argument better. I hope there is no business that operates both at the same spot though "grocery whorehouses" ... I am all for demolishing those

Please see all the Jazz heritage places in the US that city administrations are saving and you will understand the importance of saving the National Theater structure that has a great theatrical history. Most of this Jazz institutions exteriors are not the most inviting but they are a time-capsule of an era worthy of a preservation. They renovate and create events around them ... like street parties and carnivals. There are ways to make things interesting other than demolishing them.

My point of the Mekelakeya ministry is an example of repurposing of a building ... convert it into a National Museum of Foreign Aggression or something like that. I know they are already moving into a new building around the Foreign Ministry ... at least that is the rumor.

Simfan34 liked this post

Last edited by GetLostInET; August 27th, 2015 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Para breaks
Old August 27th, 2015, 04:27 PM   #420
GetLostInET

History of National Theater

Part 1

Part 2

FKebede liked this post
Sponsored Links