INDIANAPOLIS | Off Topic Discussions - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Indianapolis

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 7th, 2015, 03:22 PM   #1
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 18453

INDIANAPOLIS | Off Topic Discussions

This thread is for off topic conversations , please keep things calm and civil... I will rename the thread if you can come up and agree to a cool name...
Visit the New Jersey Section

VVisconsin08 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 5th, 2016, 01:06 PM   #2
Sunday_Bloody_Sundae

Likes (Received): 456

This thread is dumb....most of the time when people are going "off topic" they don't realize they have done it until it opens up a can of worms
Sunday_Bloody_Sundae no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2016, 02:17 PM   #3
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Those posts if not to toxic , will be moved here...like the area in the other sections..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 5th, 2016, 10:09 PM   #4
cdc guy

Likes (Received): 1838

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsring View Post
Not to derail too much, but isn't the point of art to throw the middle finger. Surely seeing things in a new way, or doing something different is a middle finger to someone--even if the way you do it is classic and traditional.
Some, certainly not all, artists think a little too highly of themselves and their aesthetic.

Some think art changes the world, and it can, just not always in the way the artist imagines.

Le Corbusier comes to mind, and we all know how the "towers in a park" aesthetic has played out.

Other artists, whose goal it is to shock or offend, seldom move the needle in the way that they imagine they might. Robert Mapplethorpe comes to mind. I don't think his art and its notoriety helped the cause of LGBT rights.
cdc guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2016, 06:22 AM   #5
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Users can send a PM to me or VVisconsin08 and we will move the offtopic posts into this section.

VVisconsin08 liked this post
Old January 6th, 2016, 05:18 PM   #6
Sunday_Bloody_Sundae

As long as it's not used as a weapon to silence discourse.
Old January 7th, 2016, 03:20 AM   #7
Nexis
Dark Wolf

This thread will be kept public like the other off topic threads...
Old October 20th, 2016, 12:50 AM   #8
Neutered
Grundle Duffie

Likes (Received): 75

Congratulations to our friend Aaron Renn. He just got married.

CorrND liked this post
Neutered no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 02:06 AM   #9
cdc guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutered View Post
Congratulations to our friend Aaron Renn. He just got married.
Yes, congrats to Aaron and Katy.
Old October 21st, 2016, 10:04 PM   #10
nsring

Likes (Received): 128

I was reading through the thread today and I just got the pun that is Indy'd's username. It is indeed clever.
nsring no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2016, 04:01 AM   #11
cdc guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownIndianapolis View Post
Trump is already rewarding Indiana..... http://www.wthr.com/article/trump-te...obs-in-indiana
Might have to hop aboard the Trump Train if this continues. Never thought i would say that
Never thought he would pull that one off.

But...he is a businessman.
Old November 30th, 2016, 04:41 AM   #12
unvrsty07

Likes (Received): 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc guy View Post
Never thought he would pull that one off.

But...he is a businessman.
Agreed. I am pleasantly surprised myself.
unvrsty07 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2016, 05:27 AM   #13
cjfjapan

Likes (Received): 197

Quote:
Trump is already rewarding Indiana..... http://www.wthr.com/article/trump-te...obs-in-indiana
Might have to hop aboard the Trump Train if this continues. Never thought i would say that
'Cause embarrassing one company to temporarily keep 1000 jobs in the country erases all the other garbage coming out of him.
Old November 30th, 2016, 05:46 AM   #14
DowntownIndianapolis
Retired

Likes (Received): 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjfjapan View Post
'Cause embarrassing one company to temporarily keep 1000 jobs in the country erases all the other garbage coming out of him.
So negative.
There's a reason you are seeing a huge backlash to negativity across the country.
If you have nothing nice or productive to say then shhhhh
DowntownIndianapolis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2016, 09:33 AM   #15
WesIndy

Likes (Received): 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjfjapan View Post

Totally hate most everything that Trump stands for, BUT his presidency does have the potential to stimulate Indiana's economy... IF he doesn't destroy the entire country's economy. Having a VP who was selected as a sitting governor, and a president who won his party's primary when he won our state, should hopefully have a good impact on our economy.

P.S.
I'd really love for Donald Trump to not be president. I am only pointing out that Indiana may become one of the few states to benefit from it. I am just holding out hope that congress will block his proposals that rape our constitution.

Also, I think this is on topic because it relates to Indianapolis development even if it's based on national politics. I'm not trying to start a political conversation, I'm just trying to thoroughly explain that a president elect I hate may turn out to be positive for Indiana.

unvrsty07 liked this post
WesIndy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2016, 11:00 AM   #16
Sunday_Bloody_Sundae

Yeah well its just a shame that the political crap has to be everywhere. I just come here to learn about developments and look at pretty pictures
Old November 30th, 2016, 11:25 AM   #17
socrates#1fan

Likes (Received): 1331

Quote:
Do we know yet what kind of tax exemptions they will be getting? Do we know what kind of cuts the employees will be forced to take? This may actually cost us more than benefit us. Let's not forget, Pence, not Trump, has been the main figure negotiating with Carrier. Furthermore, Senator Donnelly and the Indiana legislature have already been working with Carrier to find an agreement for months now.

If he is able to keep the company here without it costing us more, then kudos, but if that's enough to make you jump on the "Trump train" then I suppose equal rights, the constitution, the sort of world our children will inherit, etc. are irrelevant.

"I donít know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut

IndyJohn liked this post

Last edited by socrates#1fan; November 30th, 2016 at 11:39 AM.
socrates#1fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2016, 11:26 AM   #18
socrates#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday_Bloody_Sundae View Post
Yeah well its just a shame that the political crap has to be everywhere. I just come here to learn about developments and look at pretty pictures
I have friends from other countries that are always confused that Americans do not discuss politics more openly.

It makes sense for us to discuss politics, it affects Indianapolis development just as much as anything else. The taboo of discussing politics really has to go. Disagreements do not have to descend into character bashing.

"I donít know what it is about Hoosiers, but wherever you go there is always a Hoosier doing something very important there."-Kurt Vonnegut
Old November 30th, 2016, 12:52 PM   #19
cdc guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates#1fan View Post
If he is able to keep the company here without it costing us more, then kudos, but if that's enough to make you jump on the "Trump train" then I suppose equal rights, the constitution, the sort of world our children will inherit, etc. are irrelevant.
I am certainly not on the Trump train, as it's likely that it will run over friends and colleagues and continue to give voice (and power?) to the basest instincts of the worst among us...the racists, the nativists...the modern know-nothings.

At the same time I understand Mr. Trump's appeal to union members and other working class folks. (As with many things Trump, this is rich in cynicism and irony. The Wharton School in his day was certainly not pro worker or pro union. Ever hear of Frederick Winslow Taylor "the father of scientific management"? He was a Wharton professor.)

As another poster said, some folks and areas do benefit from any president's policies. Places with military bases and defense contractors certainly benefited from President W. Cities generally, and the auto industry, benefited from President Obama. If President Trump focuses on manufacturing, then of course the state with the highest percentage of jobs in manufacturing will benefit. That's Indiana, even more than Ohio, Michigan, and Wisconsin.
Old November 30th, 2016, 01:08 PM   #20
socrates#1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc guy View Post

As another poster said, some folks and areas do benefit from any president's policies. Places with military bases and defense contractors certainly benefited from President W. Cities generally, and the auto industry, benefited from President Obama. If President Trump focuses on manufacturing, then of course the state with the highest percentage of jobs in manufacturing will benefit. That's Indiana, even more than Ohio, Michigan, and Wisconsin.
If Trump can be directed by Pence, Congress, the courts, and the media then he may prove productive in specific areas. We should all want Trump to do well, since he is going to be the pilot of this plane we are on. However, this emboldening of bigotry that has occurred since his election, and his selection of anti-science, anti-LGBT, and, in the case of Steve Bannon, white supremacist appointees, could potentially hurt our economy much more than compromises with local industries is able to help it. One need only look at what RFRA cost us economically, and what anti-LGBT legislation in North Carolina cost the state and the governor that sponsored such moves.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement