V.T.P.200 | Curzon Street | Vertical Entertainment Centre | 200m | Canc. - Page 6 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area

Birmingham Metro Area Birmingham, Coventry, Wolverhampton and the West Midlands

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 25th, 2006, 12:53 AM   #101
Sonny97

Likes (Received): 87

I think if it is an AFD's prank then Im more than confident its gonna piss a lot of people off and won't endear us any more closer to Whitby and his gangstas. He's already got us all steamed over the Library, NSS and AC. If he is now trying to play silly buggers with another fantasy vision then he really is walking on thin ice
Sonny97 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2006, 01:28 AM   #102
ChimChim

Likes (Received): 0

Just to let some of you lot know, the proposal is for real and they want to start construction by the end of September at the latest.

Over the years aswell they will change the rides accomdated in the original setup to move with people's oppinions.

Its a good addition to the skyline, it might be a little bit taller then the 175m aswell as I think that's to the top of the one ride. Birminghams a vibrant, energetic city, let AC, BST and HCT be our pride, let this be our entertainment. stop being so damn miserable women.
ChimChim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 01:47 AM   #103
Boards

Likes (Received): 717

Jesus Christ do you think is a valuable addition to your skyline! A ******* tacky Vegas/Blackpool style theme park ride! If Birmingham aspires to a world class skyline I really dont think this is the way to go!
Boards no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2006, 01:48 AM   #104
ChimChim

50m+ taller and 10 times better, yet this dont get criticised?

[img]http://www.**************************/liverpoolphotographs/images/beacon2.jpg[/img]
Old March 25th, 2006, 01:50 AM   #105
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Likes (Received): 19

do not fret, why would someone need to invent a hoax like this when we've had Arena Central for the past 9 (**** me 9 already) years.

If it does get planning aproval at the height specified then personally it will quite literally be a dream come true, I can see people coming from far and wide to use this facility, I certainly would... imagine being locked into the tallest sky-coaster in Europe, at the heart of Britain WITH A STAND OFF VIEW OF THE CITY CENTRE The view from floor 19 of the Rotunda was fascinating for me, twice the height would be I was thinking how Brum is severely lacking an Observation point at close range the other day, it may be a PR stunt by the company but who cares, as someone said earlier.. Its a bit of fun.
Elizabeth Kinoke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 01:55 AM   #106
ChimChim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boards
Jesus Christ do you think is a valuable addition to your skyline! A ******* tacky Vegas/Blackpool style theme park ride! If Birmingham aspires to a world class skyline I really dont think this is the way to go!
Umm, now your Science tower isnt much better is it! Birmingham gets bashed at everything it does. Its unbelievable. A themepark in a skyscraper in Birminghams entertainment and cultural area, shock horror. Its notin the city centre, it wont look out of place and feel it to be riducled so much is nothing short of ridiculous.
Old March 25th, 2006, 01:59 AM   #107
Boards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChimChim
50m+ taller and 10 times better, yet this dont get criticised?

[img]http://www.**************************/liverpoolphotographs/images/beacon2.jpg[/img]
No thats crap too I'd die if someone tried to build that in Glasgow city centre but then again it would look badly out of place in the finest Victorian city in the world. Birmingham must in a worse state than I remember if the locals think this will be a valuable addition. You have some beautiful buildings in the city and stunning areas skirting the city centre - you should be looking at buildings to compliment these not add to the ghastly concrete mess in some parts.
Old March 25th, 2006, 02:01 AM   #108
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

ERROR

Last edited by Elizabeth Kinoke; March 25th, 2006 at 02:08 AM.
Old March 25th, 2006, 02:02 AM   #109
ChimChim

Yep - cause the CN tower is a concrete mess!

This is gonan be situated next to Birminghams first park forover 100years and in the centre of a £6,000,000,000 project that isincreasing the citybyover180 hectares. Masshouse,Martinea, City Park Gate, Warwick Bar,The Pinnacle are forming a completely new skyline in the eastside to compete with AC, HCT, BST and co in the westside.

There ispossibly no bad thing about this project and to say there is ... well
Old March 25th, 2006, 02:04 AM   #110
ChimChim

Has anyoneseen the videoon the BBC wesbite?
Old March 25th, 2006, 02:04 AM   #111
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

Quote:
Jesus Christ do you think this is a valuable addition to your skyline! !
I don't think he visits the Bham Metro Area anymore... not enough bad shit was going on for him to fix since his resurrection.

Quote:
A ******* tacky Vegas/Blackpool style theme park ride! If Birmingham aspires to a world class skyline I really don't think this is the way to go!
By the looks of things it will be a fair few things rolled into one, if it were to be a fair ground ride on a pole then yeah... it's a crock of foo! but an observation tower/restaurant/what-the-feck-you-want-on-fecking-top-just-to-bump-up-the-height type affair then I hope it does the business. I watched it on BBC and later on Central news and it looked.. quite superb IMO.

Last edited by Elizabeth Kinoke; March 25th, 2006 at 02:11 AM.
Old March 25th, 2006, 02:05 AM   #112
Boards

Quote:
Umm, now your Science tower isnt much better is it! Birmingham gets bashed at everything it does. Its unbelievable. A themepark in a skyscraper in Birminghams entertainment and cultural area, shock horror. Its notin the city centre, it wont look out of place and feel it to be riducled so much is nothing short of ridiculous.
You replied as I was typing. I am not anti-Birmingham in anyway ( see above ) I just dont think thats a great addition. Did I mention our Science Tower? No I didnt. Interestingly though its only the second titanium glad complex in Europe ( after the guggenheim in Bilbao ) and the worlds only fully rotating tower. The IMAX there is also the busiest in the world outside North America. I'm just saying I really think a major European city like Birmingham can surely come up with something a little better.
Old March 25th, 2006, 02:09 AM   #113
Boards

Quote:
Yep - cause the CN tower is a concrete mess!

Are you really trying make comparisons between that proposal and the CN tower?!
Old March 25th, 2006, 02:18 AM   #114
Elizabeth Kinoke
Wheels...

CN Tower is actually quite... "a concrete mess" when you get up close, although the lift on th eway up is OK, the view from top is good but TBH it didn't stick with me and I scammed my way up free... an observation needle lookin towards the city centre is imperative and this looks dead smart. good luck.
Old March 25th, 2006, 02:20 AM   #115
Sonny97

personally I think its just what this city needs: there are quite a few tall buildings going up in Brum but most of them are not meant for the general public. The Pinnacle Tower (probably AKA the Needle in a former vision) is just what the public needs, a meeting point, a focal point, an iconic venue to entertain & enjoy. It will also attract tourists from far and wide.

Look at the success of the Wheel in the Square, a superb attraction that will hopefully be a permanent structure. Well Im also hoping Pinnacle will attract the same kind of acclaim and interest. I dare say BCC may ask the architects/designers to modify the outer structure during preliminary submissions to make it look less tacky perhaps - but most importantly the "will" and the momentum is there to get the job done asap. And that must be applauded
Old March 25th, 2006, 02:22 AM   #116
Boards

I remember there were two rich brothers a fair while ago who wanted to build a 2000ft deck in Dudley was it? I'm not sure but that would have been mental.
Old March 25th, 2006, 02:26 AM   #117
ChimChim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Kinoke
CN Tower is actually quite... "a concrete mess" when you get up close, although the lift on th eway up is OK, the view from top is good but TBH it didn't stick with me and I scammed my way up free... an observation needle lookin towards the city centre is imperative and this looks dead smart. good luck.
I thought the CN tower was actually better then what I expected. the views are amazing and the glass flooring at the top is something special. how many african elepahnst can each one hold? An obervation tower looking toward the city centre with a park underneath and rides above looking at arguable one of the best skylines in Europe is something that is imperative.

And to think by 2007/08 we would ahve these underconstruction.

ThePinnacle 175m
Arena Central 175m
BST 134m
Martineau Galleries 110m
City Park Gate 100m
Masshouse Offices, Warwick Bar, Snow Hill etc, the views will be something extra special
Old March 25th, 2006, 02:29 AM   #118
ChimChim

Quote:
I remember there were two rich brothers a fair while ago who wanted to build a 2000ft deck in Dudley was it? I'm not sure but that would have been mental.
That were Richardsons, they've settled for a 134m tower on Broad Street now.

P.S This is all good news for Brum,local companies who have a deep passion for the city are turning to towers, Ian Simpson might have abit of a challenege in the coming years.

Old March 25th, 2006, 02:31 AM   #119
Sonny97

Quote:
That could well have been local hero's the Richardsons Twins, the men behind the Merry Hill development and more recently the BST proposal
Old March 25th, 2006, 02:38 AM   #120
brumthom

Likes (Received): 51

so i think the sensible consensus is, lets wait a while, see what happens. i admit this does seem a little out of the blue but it aint a hoax - if it is then BCC, the post/mail, developers and the BBC are in on it - i dont think so. i think it'd be good, it'll stop eatside from turning into a hosuing estate or business complex. its something new and original, itll attract a lot of media attention, not to mention tourists.

and anyway, got everyone talking didnt it?
brumthom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
eastside, observation, theme park