100 Bishopsgate | City of London | 172m | 40 fl - Page 10 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area > Completed projects

Completed projects Completed buildings and structures in London

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 1st, 2006, 02:05 AM   #181
london lad

Likes (Received): 3691

Yeah those are the ones- SSC went down befor I could post the link for them.
That one from Bishopsgate is fantastic- A real canyon of skyscrapers.

Interesting to note that they originally planned for the tower to be 6 floors taller but then the building would detract from Heron & Swiss re so they made it shorter to make the cluster look better.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2006, 02:18 AM   #182
jef

Likes (Received): 5

The forum is so quick right now !

I am puzzled that the website of GPE does not mention this planning application
jef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 02:25 AM   #183
london lad

Yeah it is abit strange. They were very quick to update it when they put there blackfriars scheme in for planning & other company news gets updated straight away.

They must know all this scheme is in the public domain.

Im finding SSC a bit weird- sometimes you can get in , others it goes funny & i've lost 500 posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2006, 02:29 AM   #184
jef

Indeed. It is also a pity that the website for the Shard London Bridge is no longer updated, as Will pointed out some time ago.

I have also lost more than 200 posts. But I like the new functionalities of SSC.

The problem is that sometimes I got the message "Division by Zero" which does not work of course.
Old October 1st, 2006, 02:44 AM   #185
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 1730

Quote:
Originally Posted by jef View Post
I have also lost more than 200 posts.
Me too
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 03:06 AM   #186
Medo

Likes (Received): 546

I really love this render

[img]http://i9.************/2rxk93s.jpg[/img]

Edit: I have lost over 4000 posts!!!!
Medo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 03:13 AM   #187
jef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medo View Post
We should all write down a petition !
Old October 1st, 2006, 03:16 AM   #188
jef

Just find out that Will lost more than ... 10,000 posts
Old October 1st, 2006, 09:55 AM   #189
london lad

Can somenody post this rendering of the view from St Pauls

The cluster wil look quite tight if everyhthing gets built, especially when you take out Darpers Gardens. Thank god also that the SE is getting its reclad.

http://www.planning.cityoflondon.gov...=&pageCount=66
Old October 1st, 2006, 01:13 PM   #190
wjfox
Futurist

Likes (Received): 13334

Mega density:-

wjfox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 02:14 PM   #191
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 394

Quote:
Originally Posted by london lad View Post
Interesting to note that they originally planned for the tower to be 6 floors taller but then the building would detract from Heron & Swiss re so they made it shorter to make the cluster look better.
That would have put her at 190m. I'm suprised they shortened it because it would detract from the others!
Newcastle Guy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 05:16 PM   #192
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 10618

I'm really not sure about this one. Yes, it's nice to see a stabilising factor within the cluster, but I think this is just too bland. I find the low-rise portion more interesting than the tower to be honest.

The rendering of Bishopsgate, as much as I admire it's jaw dropping audacity, saddens the hell out of me that the streetlevel looks so incredibly inhospitable compared to the foreground of Liverpool Street.

I'm beginning to wonder if the City can sustain these tall towers. I certainly wouldn't like to walk down there.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 06:42 PM   #193
wjfox
Futurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarJoLe View Post
The rendering of Bishopsgate, as much as I admire it's jaw dropping audacity, saddens the hell out of me that the street level looks so incredibly inhospitable compared to the foreground of Liverpool Street.

I'm beginning to wonder if the City can sustain these tall towers. I certainly wouldn't like to walk down there.
I can see your point, but I have to disagree. I would *love* to walk down Bishopsgate with so many giant towers soaring above me. It would be dazzling. With so much density it would be like a small area of Hong Kong or Midtown Manhattan. A real 'skyscraper experience' you wouldn't expect to find in a country like England.

I'm sure the City can accommodate these towers because it's only a relatively small area we're talking about; very tightly concentrated. There will still be vast areas of lowrise and untouched "ye olde London" to wander round and explore. There won't be anything tall between Heron and Broadgate, for example, and certain other areas will be protected by the sightlines of St Paul's, the Tower of London, etc.

London can easily adapt and sustain these towers. The real question is will they actually happen?
Old October 1st, 2006, 08:43 PM   #194
jimbo

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medo View Post
I really love this render

[img]http://i9.************/2rxk93s.jpg[/img]

lawks - fantastic render - what an effect, but yes, crikey, its like a wall. Not out of place in Manhattan.

As foxy says - what be the chances of it actually coming to fruition? We'll know in 2012 I guess, but first we need actual physical progession. If we only end up with 2, I'd take 122 Leadenhall and Heron anyday.

anyway - great work (londonlad and jef) who found and posted all the other renders. It still doesn't inspire me, but I understand how it fits into and compliments the cluster (caveat, if it all goes ahead).

Question is, if say 2 out of the other 3 don't go ahead for whatever reason - would 100 Bishopsgate still work with only one other new tower?
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2006, 10:04 PM   #195
wjfox
Futurist

An enlarged rendering from SN.com -

And some facts:
* The scheme only has a mere 10 passenger lifts thanks to the use of express double decker lifts between the ground floor and mid height lobbies.

* The lower part of the tower splays out on one side giving it the appearance of twisting slightly.

* One of the advantages of the tower flaring out on the southern side is that it reduces the wind currents that are experienced by pedestrians by absorbing them. This is further reinforced by the treatment to the lower facades.

* The cladding is purposefully designed to reference the international style of St Helens to blend in more with that conservation area and create a coherent whole.

* The top of the tower is designed to reach the shoulder of Tower 42.

* Originally the tower was set to be six floors taller but this was reduced following concerns it would detract from 30 St Marys Axe and the Heron Tower and lead to a flat skyline.

Last edited by wjfox; October 1st, 2006 at 10:10 PM.
Old October 1st, 2006, 10:54 PM   #196
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 14466

just edited your post will as i put those in as you were posting.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 12:43 PM   #197
potto

Likes (Received): 12228

very very disappointed with this, the current cluster is far too delicate for such clumsy in-fill and with current CAA height limits and the historical nature of the area I cant see how such 'in-fill' can ever be excused in the City.

This building is a Canary Wharf invasion! The twist bit is laughable because it doesnt actually do anything to help the terrible profile of the building. In relation to the other buildings, they mention they reduce the height by 6 floors so it isnt so over-bearing, but look at what it does to the cluster it is like pouring concrete all over the teracotta warriors, take away Drapers Gardens and the mistake of letting it get away with being in-fill is even more apparant.

This is such poor uninspiring office architecture compared to what we have aspired too, where are the garden terraces, the intricate detailing the elegant profile, even heron looks elegent compared to this! At first it seemed that the City was about the only place, apart from high profile cultural centres, that was moving architecture forward in this country. I hope it wasnt just a front for the infill sludge!
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 01:45 PM   #198
Evil Bert

Likes (Received): 0

I would love to see the building have a spiral roof top to some degree. Could you imagine another world class skyscraper with a spire, it would make the skyline so unique unlike any other in the world, Its almost imitating the 19th centry skyline of church spires that swept across London! i dont think we need to fill the skykine out with a bland building to make tha skyline fit in with everyones expectations of what a skyline 'should be like' .

l would hope London takes it to another level and develop a skyline so contrasting and unique that at first it would probably look like a mess but in the near future mind blowingly beautiful. London's square mile has real potential in doing this as it is one of only areas that will not allow the conventinal BOX!!

This leads me to the next question; what the hell is this building doing here when so many were forced to be redisigned! I was gutted to see minever abandoned but was not entirly convinced about its position in the square mile. I however really hope 20 french street does not get built; and that 100 Bishop gate undergoes a major face lift- could you imagine a building like LBT there or another super tall to compete with Difa - the new pinicle! I know i sound like i'm on drugs or dreaming but its a dream i have none the less!

To reiterate my point 100 bisopgate looks shit - i would put bets on it looking out dated as soon as its built!
Evil Bert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 06:37 PM   #199
Cat man do
Founder of the 'Gy'.

Likes (Received): 908

Looks a bit like the Euston tower.
Cat man do no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 06:57 PM   #200
gothicform
Bossman

Likes (Received): 14466

ok my thoughts are this - its monolithic. look at it really from st pauls, see how the western face is just a sheer glass wall. compare this to everything around it and the tower looks truely bad, as potto says its pure and simple infill. i really think that the east and west faces need to be sorted out, they need to be broken up a bit. why doesnt the tower torque fully on these sides too??? thats all it needs, a little twist.
another thing is the bulk of it, we're told that six floors were lopped off the top and this just makes it shorter and stumpier. the tower gives large floorplates all the way up it but these without height just make it look like a blue glass hulk. its not that this is a bad design but rather i cant find much good to say about it where it is.
i dont like the effect it has on the skyline. if it were out on the city fringe, canary wharf or something it would be fine, but look at it here surrounded by some amazing planned towers, its like a vauxhall conference player in a chelsea line-up.
i think 20 fenchurch street will be a scheme everyone likes it when it gets built, we'll all be raving about it. 20 FC is avante garde architecture that divides and provokes, this isnt anything.
gothicform no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
london