[GB] United Kingdom | road infrastructure • motorways - Page 244 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 29th, 2019, 10:03 PM   #4861
Ryme Intrinseca

Likes (Received): 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
Well yes, but the 3 schemes intended to connect Wales to England would cost up to £2.5bn between them and only the A465 scheme is proper undead at present.

That A465 scheme will cost at least £500m if the Welsh government go ahead with it. The A494/A55 scheme would nearly cost the same but that is only talk while the M4 scheme, the biggest, is dead since the spring.
£2.5bn (at current prices) really isn't a huge amount considering we're talking about a 20 year spending period. Over the same period Scotland has built the M77 extension, M74 extension, M80 upgrade, M8 upgrade, Queensferry crossing and AWPR, which would be £5bn-£10bn at 2019 prices.

Decent progress has been made on the A465, but that's hardly comparable to the above list. Other than that the Welsh assembly/government have largely been wasting time and money developing schemes only to cancel them, something notably absent in Scotland, even for controversial projects like the M74 extension or AWPR.
Ryme Intrinseca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 30th, 2019, 11:40 AM   #4862
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 4213

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49872190

Tory conference: Government confirms £25bn for road upgrades

Unless these are through planning/hearing/permitted by end 2020 there is no chance that they will be delivered by 2025 (as there will be a year of court cases after they are permitted anyway).

I cannot really see where the large pipeline of projects is mature enough to actually deliver these projects by 2025. There are quite the few projects in early planning but they cannot be delivered, realistically, before 2028-2030. Not that this will stop politicians from lying about them.

Sadly we are fully 6 years out and Sponge Bob is already calling Bollox!!!!!
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2019, 04:07 PM   #4863
Ryme Intrinseca

These RIS2 schemes are supposed to start construction by 2025, not finish. It's been like that since they were announced in 2014.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2019, 01:30 AM   #4864
Langeveldt

Likes (Received): 6

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.6443...7i13312!8i6656

Can someone find me a more dangerous junction? I am sure they exist, but I have to navigate this one daily. I've driven all over the world, and don't know of such an obvious example.

Traffic coming up the hill from Exeter is usually at 70mph, with extremely slow truck traffic in the left hand lane, which then merges from three lanes to two lanes after the junction. There is even a bus stop further on! Often there are tractors pulling out of the side road, which services Exeter racecourse. Google's wide angle doesn't really do it justice, but it's a blind corner. Often one will be overtaking a truck, and there will be a tractor pulling out of the side road, and then a bus pulling out further on. I've never seen this on a road with a 70mph speed limit!
Langeveldt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2019, 12:52 PM   #4865
Stuu

Likes (Received): 942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
Can someone find me a more dangerous junction?
How are you defining dangerous? Crash Map doesn't show any accidents there in the last 20 years. Perhaps because it looks terrible people pay more attention so don't actually crash?
Stuu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2019, 01:22 PM   #4866
sponge_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuu View Post
Crash Map doesn't show any accidents there in the last 20 years. ?
Are you in the right place at all?? The A38 is a cheap PoS 1960s type DC from Exeter to Plymouth with bad geometry everywhere, especially east of Buckfastleigh. Reminds me of the more eastern segments of the A55 from the same era.
Old October 1st, 2019, 07:58 PM   #4867
Stuu

Quote:
Are you in the right place at all?? The A38 is a cheap PoS 1960s type DC from Exeter to Plymouth with bad geometry everywhere, especially east of Buckfastleigh. Reminds me of the more eastern segments of the A55 from the same era.
Yes, definitely the right place. I know the A38 well and I agree totally with your description. Somehow no-one has managed to crash there, at least not seriously enough to report it
Old October 1st, 2019, 10:03 PM   #4868
sponge_bob

Quote:
Yes, definitely the right place. I know the A38 well and I agree totally with your description. Somehow no-one has managed to crash there, at least not seriously enough to report it
Is that not the junction they call "The Splatford Split" locally ???
Old October 2nd, 2019, 12:07 AM   #4869
Stuu

Quote:
Is that not the junction they call "The Splatford Split" locally ???
No, that's at the bottom of the hill... and the junction before the Splatford split is called Wobbly Wheel. They're a funny lot in Devon

Last edited by Stuu; October 2nd, 2019 at 04:48 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2019, 12:50 AM   #4870
sponge_bob

Quote:
No, that's at the bottom of the hill... and the junction before the Splatford split is called Wobbly Wheel.
Thank fcuk that Langeveldt has no issue with that pair, what.
Old October 12th, 2019, 11:36 PM   #4871
Ryme Intrinseca

UK
The 12 mile A14 Huntingdon Bypass will now open a year early, in December 2019. It's fully grade separated and predominantly six lane (D3) but will not now open as a motorway as had been planned as the legalities will not be completed in time. It's part of the 21 mile A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon scheme, which will fully open in late 2020. The section that's opening early is yellow here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-49999084

MichiH, roaddor, geogregor liked this post
Old October 21st, 2019, 09:34 PM   #4872
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 26780

A12 Chelmsford - Colchester

Major A12 upgrade to speed up journeys and improve safety

Major improvements are on the way for the 90,000 drivers who depend on the A12 near Chelmsford every day.

Plans announced today (Monday 21 October) by Highways England will reduce congestion and accidents on the route – a key link between the East of England and London – by widening a 15-mile section of the road between Chelmsford and Marks Tey.

Today’s announcement confirms a preferred option for widening the A12 between junctions 19 and 23, and sets out four new options for improvements between junctions 23 and 25, which take into account plans for a new garden community at Marks Tey.

Today Highways England is announcing its preferred route to upgrade the road between junctions 19 and 23 (which are to the west of where the new homes may be built), so that its work on the A12 can start while plans for the new development are under discussion. The preferred route would widen the existing A12 corridor between junctions 19 and 23 to three lanes in each direction at key places, and would see a new three-lane bypass in each direction at Rivenhall End.

Highways England remains committed to upgrading the whole stretch of the A12 between Chelmsford and Marks Tey. A further non-statutory consultation opens today to gather public feedback on four new routes running between junctions 23 and 25 that could be used if the proposed garden community does go ahead. These are four alternative routes for this consultation, with those consulted on in 2017 remaining viable options for the route should the new development not go ahead.
Full press release: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/m...improve-safety

travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
highways, motorway, united kingdom