LEICESTER | Fosse Park and Junction 21 area - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > East Midlands > Leicester and Leicestershire

Leicester and Leicestershire Proposals, Construction and Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 3rd, 2007, 06:33 PM   #1
outsider1

Likes (Received): 0

LEICESTER | Fosse Park and Junction 21 area

Is this area an asset to the city or damaging the city centre's growth?
outsider1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 3rd, 2007, 06:40 PM   #2
braunstone geezer

Likes (Received): 2

i think we should develop the whole of narbourgh road with loads of swankey shops, bars and clubs and shopping centers so its a continuous link from fosse park to town and then claim it as part of leicester city centre

isnt that wot danz has done wiv his notts conurbation bollocks hes always banging on about?
braunstone geezer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2007, 06:44 PM   #3
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Likes (Received): 609

Fosse park is a hindrence imo.

Come on Leicester lurkers join the forum today!
Leicity82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #4
d4mo85
Dilly ding! Dilly dong!

Likes (Received): 71

No way, Fosse Park is an asset! We just need to bridge the gap, as BG pointed out.
Old November 4th, 2007, 03:32 PM   #5
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

However till then it's still our major rival, even more so than Nottingham. It would be nice for both areas to be seen as working together to promote retail in Leicester. We could include Beaumont Leys Centre in that too.

Old November 4th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #6
d4mo85
Dilly ding! Dilly dong!

Is it a true rival though? It serves the people of Leicester well..
Old November 4th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #7
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

I think the whole problem comes down to convenience for shoppers. It's great for people who want free parking and prefer the 'big names'.

I think something really needs to be done about sorting out access to the city centre. The car parking charges in the multi-storeys are quite expensive and the car parks themselves are quite shabby.

Old November 4th, 2007, 10:33 PM   #8
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

There's alot of ad's for Fosse park in the city centre, but are there any in Fosse Park advertising say for the Shires?

Old November 5th, 2007, 01:01 AM   #9
d4mo85
Dilly ding! Dilly dong!

I see your point rs06 Any ideas on how to improve the situation?
Old November 5th, 2007, 10:47 AM   #10
Lears City
Look there, look there!

Likes (Received): 442

Dross Park is a horrible, soul devoid dump. It does take business away from the city centre, but thankfully the "Centre 21" shopping plans never happened, which would have been massive.

The Junction 21 office provision also hits the city centre. There is potentially another 1 million sf ft of offices planned at Carlton Park!

How does Dross Park provide free parking? Would it be possible for the city centre to do something similar, or would that be bad for the environment?
Lears City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #11
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4mo85 View Post
I see your point rs06 Any ideas on how to improve the situation?
Perhaps Fosse Park could start by helping to promote the city centre and Highcross, etc. Therefore anyone who bypasses the city centre can think again and actually visit the place. I think it's these simple steps that can make the initial difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lears City View Post
Dross Park is a horrible, soul devoid dump. It does take business away from the city centre, but thankfully the "Centre 21" shopping plans never happened, which would have been massive.

The Junction 21 office provision also hits the city centre. There is potentially another 1 million sf ft of offices planned at Carlton Park!

How does Dross Park provide free parking? Would it be possible for the city centre to do something similar, or would that be bad for the environment?
If there was more cooperation between say the larger stores, NCP and the council, then surely they could at least provide one day of the week for free parking. It would only benefit the stores anyway. Remember free Sunday Parking at the Shires - it used to be packed.

Some sort of incentive needs to be produced to encourage people to use public transport, car share, etc.?

Old November 5th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #12
braunstone geezer

Likes (Received): 2

if fosse park hadnt been built where it was then derby or notts would have got there first, fosse park was one of the firstout of town things and coomands one of the highest rents in europe

or some bollocks, im fed up writing
braunstone geezer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #13
Lears City
Look there, look there!

I wish Nottingham had got Dross Park. Then it could have milked trade from their city centre, instead of ours. Nottingham has opposed large retail parks to protect its city centre...which we should have done too...
Old November 5th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #14
philkeavo

Likes (Received): 50

I agree with both sides of the argument. As a gateway to our city Fosse Park is fairly impressive what with its massive retail, leisure and business facilities. Blaby District Council ought to be applauded for its forward thinking. It makes the city look like it is on the up. Certainly it was something needed at the time of development because if you remember our beloved city council was only counting the unemployed outside the town hall and bleating on about the Conservative government rather than getting on with improving our city. Overtime though it has held the city back. The Highcross should hopefully reddress the balance. After all you need to give people a reason to come into the city.
philkeavo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 06:57 PM   #15
Lears City
Look there, look there!

Philkeavo I remember that Town Hall unemployed sign. Our Council was too left-wing and didn't concentrate on getting the city sorted, to compete with others. During this time, Nottingham pulled up its socks and overtook us.

We have wasted so many years in Leicester...
Old November 5th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #16
philkeavo

Likes (Received): 50

Spot on!

All I want is for them (Leicester City Council) to pull their socks up. We have started to make real progress but the momentum needs to be maintained and they need to stop making stupid mistakes like the streets and space debacle, and stop undermining real development opportunities (office developments without adequate parking).

For me transport is the key. But I guess this discussion is for a number of different threads...
philkeavo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 07:17 PM   #17
Sir Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider1 View Post
Is this area an asset to the city or damaging the city centre's growth?
Bit of both really.

I think the area around Fosse Park will continue to grow, irrispective of what happens in the city.

Did anyone know that they wanted the Marriott to be a much taller building? They changed it conform with Blaby's max bldg height without triggering a public inquiry. My theory is that it won't be long before Fosse Park goes hi-rise, i reckon we'll have skyscrapers there in 25 years time.
Sir Robert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 02:22 PM   #18
outsider1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lears City View Post
I wish Nottingham had got Dross Park. Then it could have milked trade from their city centre, instead of ours. Nottingham has opposed large retail parks to protect its city centre...which we should have done too...
No its much better that we've got it as atleast some of the money is going back into the Leicester/shire economy. If it were next to a motorway near Nottingham, people would probably still travel to it from Leicester, because its more conventient than strugling (with a car) through town. Just as people from atleast Coventry do already.
outsider1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:26 PM   #19
Bingethink

Likes (Received): 635

It seems to me that Fosse Park is a serious asset to the Leicester area economy and a serious drawback to the city centre economy. If Leicester is some years behind Nottingham in its city centre regeneration, could that be because the central core of the city has not been the economic powerhouse that Nottingham's has, because Leicester has this large retail drain on its city centre offer?

I have visited Fosse Park, many years ago, when it had a Habitat and Nottingham didn't. Never been back - it was pretty grim then, and I believe it is much bigger now...
Bingethink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:39 PM   #20
Lears City
Look there, look there!

Habitat is now in Leicester city centre.

Leicester city centre retail spend was £1.164 billion in 2004, against £200 million at Fosse Park. So FP does drain trade significantly from the central core, which is about 3 miles away.

It was purchased in 2006 for £360 million.

FP is not worth a visit, unless you really love to shop for the sake of it and like free parking and fast food.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement