LEICESTER | Transport Issues - Page 16 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > East Midlands > Leicester and Leicestershire

Leicester and Leicestershire Proposals, Construction and Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 6th, 2007, 12:44 PM   #301
Mark76
Penguin fancier

Likes (Received): 74

I haven't been on a bus in ages and I was just wondering...

Is it possible to buy a single (or even a two way) ticket on the bus itself anymore?

BTW, just checked Wikipedia. Apparently Nottingham's isn't the only municipal bus company left in the UK, so sorry about that. HOWEVER, it does rather beg the question of why Leicester City Council chose to sell off LCT without even keeping a small stake in it

I wish they'd make the QR boxes WYSIWYG

His ropes and chains drove women wild
Mark76 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 6th, 2007, 12:52 PM   #302
jaybob
A Tale of Two Cities

Likes (Received): 0

depends on which bus you catch. on arriva which i travel on i get a £3 day ticket which acts as a return but does mean you can catch the bus as often as you like. Not sure about first bus
jaybob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 12:54 PM   #303
Mark76
Penguin fancier

What if you want to make one journey there and one journey back? Or just a one way trip?

£3 seems a tad excessive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 6th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #304
philkeavo

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz013 View Post
We got £9m more in Notts. I assume this was because our transport system has a higher ranking.
Now now play nicely Danz or we'll take your toys away
philkeavo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 09:04 PM   #305
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Likes (Received): 609

Surely place with bad transport should get more money?

I asked a First bus driver 'do you still do return tickets?' - he said yes and it cost £2.60 - the ticket was actually an all day ticket for use on all the city's First Bus services and not a 'return' ticket as I used to know it.

I think Centrebus still do a return ticket?

Come on Leicester lurkers join the forum today!
Leicity82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 01:39 AM   #306
Captain Redeye
SSC Highrise Nutter

Likes (Received): 1

Throwing more money at private transport companies will result in nothing. How much does a day ticket cost in Nottingham? I suspect less than £3, which only covers ONE operator here

BG
Old December 7th, 2007, 04:31 AM   #307
danz013
Robin Hood

Likes (Received): 28

£2.60 (and you can use the tram too)

Follow Me - Twitter
danz013 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 01:28 PM   #308
d4mo85
Dilly ding! Dilly dong!

Likes (Received): 71

Using the tram is still expensive and bloody uncomfortable during peak times in Nottingham. I don't like the fact you need to walk quite some distance to get to the buses say from Broadmarsh. Leicester is so much bloody worse though, much of the infrastructure is beyond a joke and needs ripping apart and starting again. I'm glad I don't have to use it at the moment..
Old December 7th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #309
danz013
Robin Hood

D4mo85, I don't understand how trams are expensive? £2.60 allows you to use all of Nottinghams Public Transport all day day long. £1.40 or a single ticket? How is that expensive?

Uncomfortable, yes at time it can be. Its nearly comparable to London Underground at peak times but its a tram. The majority of the capacity is standing what do you expect?

Re Broadmarsh. I dont understand? You obviously don't know Nottingham as well as you claim. Buses are right outside Broadmarsh? Nearly all of them stop out there? Broadmarsh is part of Nottingham City Transports City Centre Loop (most bus services loop around the city).

Follow Me - Twitter
Old December 7th, 2007, 01:52 PM   #310
d4mo85
Dilly ding! Dilly dong!

It's expensive to get from the train-station to say, the Royal Centre - maybe it's just mine and my girlfriends opinion (shes a notts resident btw, from new basford) - I dislike having to pay £1.40 to do that stretch in discomfort.

As I said, it's peak times that the tram can be a right pain. The smell and the general squeeze along with sheer ignorance of people trying to get on and off ruins the experience.

As for Broadmarsh, I could be wrong about this but I don't think the buses that go where I want to go (sherwood rise area) are anywhere near Broadmarsh. They are outside the Vic Centre. They come down Mansfield Road (heading into town) and then loop around the Cornerhouse and back round again. This is how i've always seen it, but if i'm wrong, then it just goes to show my girlfriend who is from Nottingham knows nothing and I won't be happy
Old December 7th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #311
jaybob
A Tale of Two Cities

Likes (Received): 0

The trams are cheap but seem to be always very crowded when I have travelled on them. Bit of a nightmare with an 18 month old in a buggy.
jaybob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 02:02 PM   #312
danz013
Robin Hood

d4mo, your right, you can't catch that bus from there. You would have to get on one of the loop buses and go to trinity square.

Follow Me - Twitter
Old December 7th, 2007, 02:25 PM   #313
Mark76
Penguin fancier

Blimey, D4 (is that a D&D reference?). even I know about the free bus (well, it used to be free) that runs between Vicky and Broadmarsh, and I've not been to Nottingham for ages.

Old December 7th, 2007, 02:41 PM   #314
d4mo85
Dilly ding! Dilly dong!

No it's not a D&D reference lol.. my name is Damon.. Damo for short.. they wouldn't let me have Damo85 so 4 replaced the a

Where the hell is this free bus?!
Old December 7th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #315
Bingethink

Likes (Received): 635

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4mo85 View Post
No it's not a D&D reference lol.. my name is Damon.. Damo for short.. they wouldn't let me have Damo85 so 4 replaced the a

Where the hell is this free bus?!
Do what Danz says - buy a City Rider day ticket for £2.70, then you can get on any bus or tram, including the buses that loop from Collin Street (Broadmarsh) up to Parliament Street, wheer you can change to a Sherwood Rise bus.

Alternatively, walking the five-ten minutes between Broadmarsh and Victoria ain't going to kill you, is it?
Bingethink no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 05:12 PM   #316
candida

Likes (Received): 38

PLANS FOR NEW 'LEXUS LANE' TO BYPASS THE JAMS

Quote:
BY MARTIN ROBINSON
POLITICAL REPORTER

10:30 - 12 December 2007

Radical plans allowing drivers to pay to use a fast lane in rush hour traffic could be implemented on the M1, it has emerged.

Hard shoulders or extra lanes may be opened to give people the chance to overtake jams if they pay for the privilege.

It would be used as an alternative for congestion charging, as people could choose to stay put for free or pay to queue jump.

The cost of using the lane has not been released but critics have branded the idea the "Lexus Lane" because only a minority could afford it.

The proposals were leaked to the press from inside the Highways Agency, who told the Mercury they did not know who was responsible.

The M6, the M25 and the M4 are also being considered.

County council deputy leader, Coun Nicholas Rushton, is leading the region's research into congestion-busting schemes. He said: "I can't say I agree with this one, as it will attack the disadvantaged, and all you will see is some person driving in the lane in his Bentley.

"It also strikes me as rather dangerous if there was a breakdown. I think that a lane for cars with at least two passengers would be far better than this option.

"You need to find a way to cut congestion not just pay extra to avoid queues."

The proposal would see sign gantries which already run over the roads adapted.

They already carry CCTV cameras and would be changed to also have number plate recognition technology, which automatically logs every car travelling in the lane.

Drivers may also have a tag on their windscreen which would be charged or have cash deducted if they set up a pre-pay account. Proposals to widen the M1 through Leicestershire are already being considered by the Highways Agency.

One option is to create an eight-lane motorway and allow drivers to use the hard shoulder at busy times. The alternative is building a 10-lane road between junctions 21 and 21a.

The plans are part of an overall scheme to widen the M1 from three lanes to four between Leicester and Chesterfield.

Wigston driver Seb Owen said: "I can see me and about a thousand others sat there miserably in a traffic jam while the rich speed past in their Chelsea tractors. It is a terrible idea."

The RAC Foundation said motorists may be more willing to accept this rather than a blanket congestion charge.

Director Edmund King said: "It could make all the difference in convincing the public of the benefits of road pricing. Drivers would feel that they were getting something for their money."

Reader comments

So what happens when a 'lexus lane' driver whom is driving on the hard shoulder because he or she has paid for the privelege, happens to come across a driver who is has broken down and is using the hard shoulder for its intended purpose. Does the lexus lane driver phone the police and have the other driver prosecuted for delaying their progress?
Peter, Canada

Well - if that isn't a manifestation of Madge Thatcher's two-tier 'haves and have-nots' society I don't know what is !
John Stitch, Leicester

Unfortunately Mario, I am not a 'gimmer' who plods along in the middle lane. I drive correctly unlike you in your beefed up corsa... But back to commenting on the story, the Director of the RAC says we want something for our money. We already pay to use the road. The Road Fund Licence puts billions into the Government coffers and only a very small percentage is ploughed back into the road transport system, and that is without mentioning Fuel Duty.
Ian Woolnough, Desford

If anything you should scrap this idea. As you will get more BMW owners thinking they are gods gift and have the right of way.
Dodgite, Braunstone

What a fantastic idea. Ian is probably one of those gimmers that plods along in the middle lane. I have loads of cash and would welcome the opportunity to spend it on something like this.
mario, london

it is the people who drive this slow that cause the jams in the first place.
Alice, Palmer

Correct me if I am wrong, there is no fast lane on the motorway. All three lanes have a 70 mph limit. This is a ridiculous idea.
Ian Woolnough, Desford

BG - Is your alter ego dodgite from braunstone?
candida no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 05:15 PM   #317
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Likes (Received): 609

The whole point of a hard-shoulder is a place of safe refuge for a broken down car; why on earth they'd want to use that as another lane, paid for or otherwise is beyond me! Where on earth are broken down vehicles meant to go.

Come on Leicester lurkers join the forum today!
Leicity82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #318
candida

Likes (Received): 38

I think the plan is to use the hard shoulder at busy times only, which I think is a stupid idea too. If an ambulance has to get somewhere fast - what are they supposed to do?

As for the 'Lexus lane' - another stupid idea. This government needs to start their spending on public transport. We might not have all this traffic in the first place then. They're a bunch of idiots! It's really not that difficult to work it out

All they want to do is skimp on building an extra lane and instead make some extra revenue from the motorist. They really are milking every penny they can from us all, and one day they'll have a riot on their hands and I'll be the first person to punch Gordon Brown in the face - the bloody smarmy [email protected]#rd.

I feel better now!
candida no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 03:42 AM   #319
Captain Redeye
SSC Highrise Nutter

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by candida View Post
I feel better now!
I will, when I can finally afford to, get out of this sh!thole of a country tax, tax and more ******* tax with no rewards at all for those of us who do hard graft to make ends meet

Whilst it is still more expensive (read that how you will) to use private transport companies to get to work (also consuming a lot more of your "free" time) or in some cases impossible, as these buses are run for shoppers, not workers .. people will use their cars and drive to work in comfort, for less money and needing a lot less time. Simple fact

The cost of a Nottingham day ticket, assuming prices quoted in above posts are still correct, is 40p less than the ticket needed for just ONE of the Leicester operators .. we use our buses at an additional premium of 40p x 5 x average 48 working weeks = £96 per year .. and don't forget most people in Leicester need to buy TWO tickets assuming an extra £2.50 per day (First) this is an additional £600 per year approximately (TOTAL £696 MORE) Total cost for Nottingham (assuming 2.60 per day is £624 per year)

Don't ******* tell me we aren't being ripped off here

BG
Old December 14th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #320
philkeavo

Likes (Received): 50

I have say the Transport thread in Leicester is more depressing than a funeral parlour. The number of wacky stupid stuff we hear eminating from our supposed transport leaders is just awful. Lets face it to radically change the transport strategy for Leicester requires bold leadership and hard cash and Leicester regretably has neither
philkeavo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
buses, cars, leicester, trains, transport