LEICESTER | Transport Issues - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > East Midlands > Leicester and Leicestershire

Leicester and Leicestershire Proposals, Construction and Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 21st, 2007, 07:37 PM   #21
Lears City
Look there, look there!

Likes (Received): 443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark76 View Post
How is a monorail system less obtrusive than a tram network?
Trams are at surface level and overlap existing road networks and pedestrian routes. A monorail is entirely above ground and modern technology allows for large gaps between columns.
Lears City no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 21st, 2007, 08:14 PM   #22
MWRIGH17

Likes (Received): 5

I've not seen mentioned on here the park and ride at Birstall. A significant part of the funding has come from the housing development, Hallam Fields, underway on the left hand side of the A6 as you head to the A46 Western bypass (mentioned somewhere in one of these threads). The P&R will be on the other side of the A6 and the A6 raod layout has been changed to accommodate it.

Aslo being built at the Hallam site is a new service area (pertrol station etc) plus a new district fire station along with small industial / office park.
MWRIGH17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 09:37 PM   #23
PAC_MAN
Greatest theatre in LE1

Likes (Received): 29

No many people know of that site, since it isnt very well advertised or signposted. Also the Council doesnt seem to be giving it much kudos.

Whose the best person to email to give my support behind the Ivanhoe Line and support for a 2nd train station in the city?
PAC_MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 21st, 2007, 10:38 PM   #24
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Likes (Received): 613

You could contact network rail or any other relevent authorities.

Come on Leicester lurkers join the forum today!
Leicity82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 11:00 PM   #25
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

I think it is also important to include the St Pancras redevelopment on this thread, especially as Leicester will be the first major city connected to the international station on the mainline:

St Pancras International Station website

St Pancras Concourse render:

Source: BBC London website

Old August 22nd, 2007, 01:25 PM   #26
Lears City
Look there, look there!

The regrading of St Pancras as a European station will be a massive boost for Leicester, as we will be the first major station north of London. The Midland Mainline is well overdue for electrification. Hopefully the imminent change of ownership our our rail line to London, will speed up improvements to the line and Leicester station?
Old August 22nd, 2007, 02:42 PM   #27
MWRIGH17

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAC_MAN View Post
No many people know of that site, since it isnt very well advertised or signposted. Also the Council doesnt seem to be giving it much kudos.

Whose the best person to email to give my support behind the Ivanhoe Line and support for a 2nd train station in the city?
The Birstall site isn't built yet - it's a part of the same scheme as the one at 'Fosse Park'.

Write to the County council regarding the Ivanhoe Line.
MWRIGH17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 04:38 PM   #28
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lears City View Post
The regrading of St Pancras as a European station will be a massive boost for Leicester, as we will be the first major station north of London. The Midland Mainline is well overdue for electrification. Hopefully the imminent change of ownership our our rail line to London, will speed up improvements to the line and Leicester station?
I hope so too! Aren't the LRC currently in talks with Network Rail, Royal Mail, etc? I'm sure Royal Mail will move to the old timber yard on Humbertstone Road-especially as housing plans were turned down there on various occasions and neighbouring people prefer a more industrial/work related development there.

Old August 22nd, 2007, 04:59 PM   #29
Lears City
Look there, look there!

I've heard about the planned Royal Mail move and nobody has said that plans to upgrade the train station will not still be going ahead.

Haven't Stagecoach taken over our local rail services? Not sure what involvement they would have in station plans?

I'd love to see a new shopping centre *** OR ARENA *** as part of the station plans. This would prevent the drift of attention toward Highcross Leicester and the waterfront developments.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 05:20 PM   #30
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Quote:
I've heard about the planned Royal Mail move and nobody has said that plans to upgrade the train station will not still be going ahead.

Haven't Stagecoach taken over our local rail services? Not sure what involvement they would have in station plans?

I'd love to see a new shopping centre *** OR ARENA *** as part of the station plans. This would prevent the drift of attention toward Highcross Leicester and the waterfront developments.
Stagecoach will officially take over from December 2008-I think. I do hope they will support the station redevelopment; which I think will no doubt take place.

I totally agree with a shopping centre, etc., idea to complement Highcross; though the plans are mainly for office and residential in that area. However, when the station frontage becomes part vacant (when the station will face the city centre) that'll be a great place for a 'boutique' style mini shopping centre-afterall it has been said that retail would be a preference for the building.

Old August 26th, 2007, 08:32 PM   #31
Captain Redeye
SSC Highrise Nutter

Likes (Received): 1

At least it's not bloody Arriva (company with the rudest and most arrogant drivers known to man) or First (which operates certain key routes meaning it costs a fiver to get day tickets which cover ALL the main routes)

Hope Stagecoach (aka Dick Turpin Transport co. ltd) run a decent service and keep the free tea & coffee going

BG
Old August 26th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #32
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

I'm abit annoyed that these changes are coming at the most crucial point of Leicester's Office Quarter phase 2 development.

Old August 27th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #33
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

Stagecoach image

From today's Leicester Mercury:

Quote:
10:30 - 27 August 2007

A new rail company which covers Leicestershire has unveiled its logo and how its trains will look.

East Midlands Trains is planning millions of pounds of improvements to trains and stations across the region.

The firm will take over services run by Midland Mainline, including the high-speed, long-distance services from London St Pancras to Sheffield, Derby and Nottingham, as well as many regional services formerly operated by Central Trains.

The company, which is run by the Stagecoach Group, promises to cut journeys from London St Pancras to Leicester to just over an hour.

It starts its seven-year franchise on November 11.

Ian Dobbs, chief executive of Stagecoach rail division, said: "We are really excited about creating this brand-new train company for the East Midlands and the wider region.

"This will bring better harmony between the regional and mainline train services, and link into the revamped St Pancras station, which will also be home to Eurostar from November.

"We have lots of plans to improve the travelling experience for passengers, and will bring the expertise we have in running our other train company, South West Trains, to this rail business."

For more details, visit:

www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk
Leicester Mercury website, August 27th, 2007

This is the associated image of the new trains (I've posted a larger image on the East Midlands transport thread):

Source: Leicester Mercury website

Link: East Midlands Trains website

My mistake on an earlier post-they are actually taking over this year and not in December 2008.

The website mentions station imporvements, but nothing major and that trains to London from Leicester will be faster taking 1hr and 7 mins.

Last edited by Leicity82; August 27th, 2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old August 27th, 2007, 10:17 PM   #34
PAC_MAN
Greatest theatre in LE1

Quote:

Your quite right there Lears, there should be a hub of office, retail and leisure around the train station, as with larger metro cities. This how we should sell and develop our city for residents and visitors
Old August 31st, 2007, 10:05 PM   #35
Leicity82
Leicester - why not?

From today's Mercury:

Quote:
BUSES BOOST FOR SHOPPERS

BY GARY MITCHELL

10:30 - 31 August 2007

A bus firm is launching more regular services on Sundays to encourage shoppers to use public transport.

First will be running more vehicles on its busiest routes to and from the centre of Leicester.

The company said the extra bus services, which start this weekend, were the result of demand from shoppers.

Currently, many routes run every 30 minutes on Sundays. First said most of its busiest routes into the city would now operate every 15 or 20 minutes.

Some services, such as those that run along Saffron Lane and Uppingham Road, will run every 10 minutes on Sundays.

The company is also adding another route, between the city and Oadby.

A First spokesman said it hoped the more-frequent buses would encourage people to leave their cars at home, cutting congestion and carbon emissions.

Business leaders welcomed the move, saying it would make Leicester more attractive to shoppers.

James Moore, general manager of The Shires shopping centre, said: "It's vitally important that transport providers adapt to these changes in customer behaviour.

"I welcome the additional buses and new routes that First is introducing, which will provide easier access to the city centre."

John Day, chairman of Leicestershire Chamber of Commerce, said retailers across Leicester would welcome the move.

He said: "With Highcross Leicester shopping centre opening in 2008, the city is destined to be one of the premier shopping locations in the Midlands.

"Providing excellent bus services will enhance Leicester as the place to visit."

Kevin Belfield, managing director of First in Leicester, said: "With more and more shops now open on Sunday, and with a growing number of people thinking about the alternatives to taking the car, we have taken the decision to increase frequencies on many of our routes."

Many other changes are being introduced from Sunday, including a new 31 service linking the city and Oadby Grange via Oadby Parade, more regular services on the 74 route to Anstey, with a bus every six minutes, and a Sunday family ticket for £3.

More than 200 people, however, have signed a petition opposing changes to the number 38 service between Netherhall and Eyres Monsell.

The bus will now miss out Ivychurch Crescent and Keyham Lane West and travel instead along Netherhall Road and New Romney Crescent before continuing to Thurnby Lodge via Bowhill Grove.

People living in the area said it would mean they would have to walk 15 minutes to the nearest stop.

Ward councillor Barbara Potter said the changes would make life difficult for many bus users, especially elderly people.

She said: "More services into the city on Sunday are no consolation when we are losing an important link to amenities, including shops and doctors."

No changes have been made to services than run between the city and county.
Leicester Mercury website, 31st August, 2007

Old August 31st, 2007, 10:16 PM   #36
PAC_MAN
Greatest theatre in LE1

I recently emailed Mr David Parsons, Leader, Leics CC. Regarding re-opening the Ivanhoe Line.

Got a response back today; he mentions he is trying his hardest, however the funding route is difficult, however Leics CC believe this is a positive step forward and very much part of their major plans for the County

I suppose funding will need to come partly from the Government and partly from Private investors
Old September 1st, 2007, 01:01 PM   #37
braunstone geezer

Likes (Received): 2

ive got an old leicester a-z from 1996, and theres a proposed ivanhoe line on it with stations in leicester forest east and rancliffe gardens, braunstone, with a 1997 opening date, wot went wrong there then
braunstone geezer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 02:42 AM   #38
PAC_MAN
Greatest theatre in LE1

That is a perfect solution to ease traffic problems. I cant understand why the council never went through with it

Even if they use the Ivanhoe line as a tram line (less funding involved), then that still positive for the city's traffic problems.

Lets hope Mr Parsons can convince a few bigwigs
Old September 3rd, 2007, 06:07 PM   #39
braunstone geezer

Likes (Received): 2

whose mr parsons?

for about ten minutes i read it as mr parsnips and have onley just stopped laughing,

and now realise i read it wrong and wasted ten minutes of my life
braunstone geezer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 06:11 AM   #40
d4mo85
Dilly ding! Dilly dong!

Likes (Received): 71

Concerning Leicester train station; LRC are indeed in talks with Network Rail and other important parties about a total revamp of the station and surrounding area. When I say revamp, it's more a case of knocking half of it down and starting again - which is a needed solution. I have to use the damned place on a regular basis and if I had to use 3 words to describe it, it'd be 'dingey yellow dump'

Still, if the LRC plans for it are anything to go by then it will look absolutely stunning.
Advertisement

Tags
buses, cars, leicester, trains, transport