LONDON - Olympic Stadium (60,000) - Page 501 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 22nd, 2015, 01:08 PM   #10001
SSC1984
BANNED

Likes (Received): 30

Quote:
London Olympic Stadium: a transformation story

On the eve of the first Rugby World Cup match to be held at the transformed London Olympic Stadium, we’re delighted to release this new video, explaining just what has changed in the stadium and surrounding park since the London 2012 Olympic Games.

Since being designed to host the world’s largest sporting event in 2012, the stadium has been totally transformed, to create a world-class venue for a range of sports and events including football, rugby, athletics, cricket and concerts, with a new flexible seating system to give all spectators the ultimate experience.

This video was produced in collaboration with Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, BuroHappold Engineering and Balfour Beatty.
http://populous.com/news/2015/09/22/...rmation-story/
SSC1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 22nd, 2015, 01:35 PM   #10002
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 23732

Bigger version of the Populous vid can be found by clicking 'Watch on Vimeo':

RMB2007 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015, 01:46 PM   #10003
NorbertUpNorf

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSC1984 View Post
Hmmm, they've filled in the gaps behing the goal on that video!

[IMG]http://oi59.************/10ho8d2.jpg[/IMG]

Can't seem to post the image, but you'll see it about 1:55 into the video above!
NorbertUpNorf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 22nd, 2015, 01:54 PM   #10004
RMB2007

RMB2007 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015, 02:06 PM   #10005
RMB2007

@DidPiereschi:

https://twitter.com/DidPiereschi
Old September 22nd, 2015, 02:20 PM   #10006
Olympian65

Likes (Received): 17

Filled in gaps

That freeze frame image with the gaps filled seems to show the big screens have been raised, allowing a substantial infill behind the goals and presumably taking out of action the very worst band 5 seats at the back of the upper tier.

This looks like an excellent solution to me. At the very least it shows the architects must have considered it in order to produce such an image. I think West Ham fans should push hard for this aspect to be implemented, even if it cannot be done in time for season one. Because, let's face it, the giant gaps behind the goals between upper and lower tiers are the only thing which lets the new design down.

Can someone find out from the club whether this excellent modification is a goer?
Olympian65 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015, 02:23 PM   #10007
@westhamfootball

Likes (Received): 178

Latest FOI fail from LLDC received this morning

Thank you for your information request, received on 24 August 2015. You asked the London. Legacy Development Corporation (Legacy Corporation) to provide the following information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOIA):

“Can you inform me of the following costs whether expended or budgeted in relation to the former Olympic Stadium in Queen Elizabeth park.

1) The total cost in pounds sterling of installing of the original orange Mondo running track for the London 2012 Olympics

2) The budgeted cost in pounds sterling to replace the Mondo running track running for the 2017 Athletics world championships

3) The total cost in pounds sterling to install the grass turf and Desso grassmaster pitch for 2015 events including the Rugby World Cup.

4) The budgeted cost in pounds sterling to replace the grass turf and Desso grassmaster pitch in advance of West Ham taking up occupancy as the resident football team.”

In relation to your first question, the Legacy Corporation does not hold this information. The Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) was responsible for the track at the time of the London 2012 Olympics. On the closure of the ODA, their records were transferred to the Department of Culture, Media and Sports. Details about how to submit a freedom of information request to DCMS are on their website -

https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...re-media-sport

For your remaining requests, the information that the Legacy Corporation holds does not
break down the contract price or activity schedule in sufficient detail to be able to specifically identify, retrieve or extract the information you have requested.

Section 12 of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 makes provision for public authorities to refuse requests for information where the cost of dealing with them would exceed the 15-051 response v1.0 appropriate limit, which for this authority is set at £450, based on 18 hours work at a set £25 per hour).

We estimate that it will take us in excess of the applicable time limit to determine the appropriate material, plus the additional time required for the retrieval and extraction of the information related to your request. Therefore, your request will not be processed further and in accordance with the FOIA this letter acts as a Refusal Notice.
@westhamfootball no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015, 02:34 PM   #10008
Gavrosh

Likes (Received): 2091

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorbertUpNorf View Post
Hmmm, they've filled in the gaps behing the goal on that video!

[IMG]http://oi59.************/10ho8d2.jpg[/IMG]

Can't seem to post the image, but you'll see it about 1:55 into the video above!
maybe theyve taken my suggestion of selling those seats to punters who can then watch the game on screens installed on the back of the stands in front (and drink beer while doing so) on board?

As for the party deck idea, it is only half in jest but i can assure you that unless they come up with a way of screening the vertical gaps between the lower and upper tiers, people will start to watch the game directly from the concourse area/ disabled area. Ive been to both the athletics and rugby this year and loads of people did exactly that.
Gavrosh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015, 02:53 PM   #10009
Hammers54

Likes (Received): 204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavrosh View Post
maybe theyve taken my suggestion of selling those seats to punters who can then watch the game on screens installed on the back of the stands in front (and drink beer while doing so) on board?

As for the party deck idea, it is only half in jest but i can assure you that unless they come up with a way of screening the vertical gaps between the lower and upper tiers, people will start to watch the game directly from the concourse area/ disabled area. Ive been to both the athletics and rugby this year and loads of people did exactly that.

Spot on about watching from the concourse. I did exactly that at the Athletics and rugby to make a quick getaway. Certainly a lot safer than currently at UP where people stand on the aisles.
Hammers54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015, 02:57 PM   #10010
AstroBiont

Likes (Received): 883

I hope it's the case that Populous have found a way to bridge the gap between the tiers behind the goals, but I'm not sure if that is what the extracted images from the Populous video show. I'm not at all certain of this, but I think that what we see in these images might be the immovable central section of the lower tier behind the goal and the rump of the lower tier in the two sections each side of this central section. If that is the case then it's misleading to show those seating banks apparently filled with spectators. Interestingly, the way that I see it, that video seems to indicate that only the lower part of the end sections will be movable whilst the upper part will be demountable - so like what has been done presently for the RWC. It seems strange to me that they would use such a method for the end stands when the side stands' method seems to utilise the more elegant solution of overhanging the rump of the permanent lower tier with the aft section of the movable stand. The end stands' method just seems to result in more work to transform the seating between modes.

Btw, that voiceover reminds me of the opening credits of Quantum Leap.
AstroBiont no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015, 03:50 PM   #10011
@westhamfootball

Likes (Received): 178

https://twitter.com/FFRugby

alexandru.mircea liked this post
@westhamfootball no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015, 03:59 PM   #10012
Gavrosh

Couple of informative screen grabs from the vid. Wifi confirmed (which will help with that stadium app theyre creating).

Old September 22nd, 2015, 04:09 PM   #10013
Olympian65

Likes (Received): 17

Behind the goals infill

No, AstroBiont, the render definitely shows an infill - you will see the seats in the infill are higher than the bridges leading into the lower tier and finish with just a low wall behind where the upper tier joins.

They look in fact very similar to the infill section of the East Stand. There would seem to be approx 1,500 seats in all added at the end in the freeze frame and if you look carefully it seems that the big tv screen has been raised so it will still be visible to people looking from other parts of the stadium.

If they do that at both ends that would be 3k extra high quality seats (with say 2k taken out of use directly behind screens in upper tier) and no more ugly gaps. Good job. The key question is, why hasn't the club said anything about this and is it going to happen?
Olympian65 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015, 04:11 PM   #10014
Gavrosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympian65 View Post
No, AstroBiont, the render definitely shows an infill - you will see the seats in the infill are higher than the bridges leading into the lower tier and finish with just a low wall behind where the upper tier joins.
I have to disagree with you on this one (see above).
Old September 22nd, 2015, 05:33 PM   #10015
Rasp

Likes (Received): 13

Don't know what everyone else thinks but the mixture of black and white seating makes the stadium look very bitty.
Rasp no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015, 05:47 PM   #10016
Gavrosh

dugouts and RWC branding

https://vine.co/v/ePwwxMmLAa5
Old September 22nd, 2015, 05:53 PM   #10017
War Pony

Likes (Received): 193

In 'football mode' will those dugouts be added to the pitch or remain in that position?
War Pony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015, 05:57 PM   #10018
Gavrosh

they stay in that position with markings like on the pics where the managers can roam around in.
Old September 22nd, 2015, 06:59 PM   #10019
War Pony

Likes (Received): 193

I thought they were going to be put on the pitch. Glad about the above
War Pony no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2015, 07:03 PM   #10020
Bengeo

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pony View Post
I thought they were going to be put on the pitch. Glad about the above
Some of the club renders showed the benches separate and closer to the pitch, but that never made sense as a lot of Corporate and Band 1 seats would have had an obscured view.
Bengeo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
britain, england, london, olympics