Uganda Oil Thread - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Uganda

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 16th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #1
mkenya

Likes (Received): 0

Uganda Oil Thread

I hope there is no thread on this..Oil has indeed been discovered in Uganda and we are talking of about 2 Billion Barrels....Do we see this beeing a curse..Will Museveni , a product of the bush end up buying guns and tanks?

Interesting observations are:-

Museveni has refused totell the public the revenue share agreement they have with the mining company.

Museveni is goes mad when he is told that they must build a pileline to mombasa to take crude then import the refined stuff. Of course . this is for economic reasons..Uganda consumes like 30,000 barrels daily (kenya is about 100-120,000) hence it cant be economical to build a refinary in Uganda.

anyway guys..what do u thing about this
mkenya no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #2
BUTEMBO21
Mutu ya Chuma.

Likes (Received): 5960

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkenya View Post
I hope there is no thread on this..Oil has indeed been discovered in Uganda and we are talking of about 2 Billion Barrels....Do we see this beeing a curse..Will Museveni , a product of the bush end up buying guns and tanks?

Interesting observations are:-

Museveni has refused totell the public the revenue share agreement they have with the mining company.

Museveni is goes mad when he is told that they must build a pileline to mombasa to take crude then import the refined stuff. Of course . this is for economic reasons..Uganda consumes like 30,000 barrels daily (kenya is about 100-120,000) hence it cant be economical to build a refinary in Uganda.

anyway guys..what do u thing about this

The best way to do is not to sell that Oil to the West or Chinese. They can sell it their neighbor Kenya, Rwanda, Burundi, Ethiopia, and Tanzania. DRC got it own OIL. We don't need any. Anyways we have OIL in Eastern DRC by the border with Uganda and in the West of the country.

About the Pipeline all the way to momabasa , for what? So it can be refined by Kenya Rafinery? Build a Raninary in Uganda where Oil is being Produced. and all the money satys in the country.

If they sell it to the West , it will be a curse, if they sell it to Africans and Chinese it will not be a curse.
BUTEMBO21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #3
Matthias Offodile

Likes (Received): 20216

Quote:
If they sell it to the West , it will be a curse, if they sell it to Africans and Chinese it will not be a curse.
Donīt agree, the very same Shell company that is making such a mess in Nigeria (Niger Delta) has won prizes in Oman. and enjoys a well established presence over there. Oman has grown rapidsl the past years and its citizens enjoy free education, free health care and they have a good infrastructure. the sultan has excellnt relation with the UK. he went to Sandhurst Academy.

take the rich Gulf Sates: today, they are buying Western companies, just like Qatar having bought high stakes in Porsche...thatīs what I call success, they did it the Asian way, silent and in cooperation.

Angolaīs Sonagol is also investing billions into Portuguese companies, this will exapnd and more Western companies will be aquired in the years and decades ahead.!...They are doing it silentsly as well, without tam tam.. (Btw, the only africa country doing this). Nigeria hasnīt done it, what a shame!

it depends on the government and the people what they make out of it!
Matthias Offodile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 16th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #4
Alex Roney

Likes (Received): 3454

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUTEMBO21 View Post
The best way to do is not to sell that Oil to the West or Chinese. They can sell it their neighbor Kenya, Rwanda, Burundi, Ethiopia, and Tanzania. DRC got it own OIL. We don't need any. Anyways we have OIL in Eastern DRC by the border with Uganda and in the West of the country.

About the Pipeline all the way to momabasa , for what? So it can be refined by Kenya Rafinery? Build a Raninary in Uganda where Oil is being Produced. and all the money satys in the country.

That makes no sense. The U.S, Europe and China consume sooo much more oil than East Africa. Theirs an infinite amount of potential for Western and Chinese consumers it's quite limited for Kenya, Tanzania and Ethiopia.

Also whose going to take out the oil? American and Chinese companies have far better technology and know how.
Alex Roney no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #5
BUTEMBO21
Mutu ya Chuma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Roney View Post
That makes no sense. The U.S, Europe and China consume sooo much more oil than East Africa. Theirs an infinite amount of potential for Western and Chinese consumers it's quite limited for Kenya, Tanzania and Ethiopia.

Also whose going to take out the oil? American and Chinese companies have far better technology and know how.

I know they do do.

It's the Canadians Tulloy Oil Co. that doing the exploitation IN Uganda and they just won the right to exploite DRC's Eastern side as well.

I was only saying they should sell it to africans because they are still producing a small amount at the moment. But should they produce a lot , then China will be is the Market and May be the US as well.

I just hate When African Oil Producers do business with the US. Thank God the Chinese are consuming too much Oil as well.
Old June 16th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #6
Alex Roney

Likes (Received): 3454

Quote:
I know they do do.

It's the Canadians Tulloy Oil Co. that doing the exploitation IN Uganda and they just won the right to exploite DRC's Eastern side as well.

I was only saying they should sell it to africans because they are still producing a small amount at the moment. But should they produce a lot , then China will be is the Market and May be the US as well.

I just hate When African Oil Producers do business with the US. Thank God the Chinese are consuming too much Oil as well.
What's the difference between Chinese and American companies? I bet you theirs a lot more regulation among American companies than Chinese ones.
Alex Roney no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #7
BUTEMBO21
Mutu ya Chuma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Roney View Post
What's the difference between Chinese and American companies? I bet you theirs a lot more regulation among American companies than Chinese ones.
You're right about American comapnies having more regulations than Chinese.

What i meant is how they do bussiness, America has been in Africa since the 60s and africa is stil look like shit.

The Chinese show up. Look at Nigerian Now, Sudan, Angola, EG, Congo- Brazza.

Do you see the difference?
Old June 16th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #8
03virgil

what shocked me is, when the west advised Uganda to export crude oil to Kenya only to have Uganda buy it back.
some westerners must think that Africans are dumb
why not build a refinery in Uganda so that the country mines and exports refined oil which they can sell at a higher price than crude oil
this way a poor country like Uganda will be getting more money by making the most of its oil findings
(in a way corruption has helped Uganda dodge that bullet because the officials want to milk as much money from oil as they can. which they cant do if the oil is unrefined)
Go UGANDA DON'T LET ANYONE PUT YOU DOWN
03virgil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #9
Kenguy

Likes (Received): 3303

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03virgil View Post
what shocked me is, when the west advised Uganda to export crude oil to Kenya only to have Uganda buy it back.
why not build a refinery in Uganda so that the country mines and exports refined oil which they can sell at a higher price than crude oil
this way a poor country like Uganda will be getting more money by making the most of its oil findings
(in a way corruption has helped Uganda dodge that bullet because the officials want to milk as much money from oil as they can. which they cant do if the oil is unrefined)
Actually, they are going to put up a mini refinery around the Hoima area, at least to cater for Uganda and maybe Rwanda and eastern DRC (Please don't attack me on this one).

There's one thing though, the old man won't give up power since he knows there's oil money around the corner.
Old June 16th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #10
BUTEMBO21
Mutu ya Chuma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenguy View Post
Actually, they are going to put up a mini refinery around the Hoima area, at least to cater for Uganda and maybe Rwanda and eastern DRC (Please don't attack me on this one). There's one thing though, the old man won't give up power since he knows there's oil money around the corner.
I don't want any attacks, they wont change anything.

The Old man wasn't planning on leaving anyways.

Anyways, the same Company that's doing Oil exploitation is on the DRC area already. It didn't get developed because of the Rebel, Nkunda Roache.
Old June 16th, 2009, 08:48 PM   #11
BUTEMBO21
Mutu ya Chuma.

Tullow wins back Congo oil rights

Wednesday, 15 April 2009 08:52 By Independent Team & Agencies

AS expected, Tullow Oil and its partner Heritage Oil have won back rights to explore for oil in the Democratic Republic of Congo after a year-long dispute, the country’s hydrocarbons minister, Rene Isekemanga Nkeka, has said.

Congo’s previous hydrocarbons minister, Lambert Mende, in February 2008, said Tullow’s rights to Block I on Lake Albert, which straddles the border with Uganda, had been withdrawn after he identified contract irregularities.

“This affair will be settled for good and will belong to the past,” Isekemanga said yesterday in an interview in Brazzaville, the capital of Congo Republic.

“The government will pronounce itself in the next days and production will begin.”

DR Congo’s President Joseph Kabila and his Ugandan counterpart Yoweri Museveni on March 4 agreed to accelerate the planned joint exploration of oil in the region, according to Kabila’s roving ambassador Seraphin N’Gwej.

Tullow and Heritage have made oil discoveries on the Ugandan side of the lake. The Buffalo-Giraffe oilfield is the largest onshore oil deposit discovered in sub-Saharan Africa in more than 20 years, Heritage Oil finance chief Paul Atherton said in January.

Tullow has said it may allow an additional partner into an exploration deal in the Democratic Republic of Congo following a government request.

The company may also “substantially” increase the signing bonus to secure the rights to explore in Lake Albert, Tim O’Hanlon, Tullow’s vice president for African business, said in an interview in the Congolese capital, Kinshasa.

“With three capable partners already involved, including the DRC national oil company, we see no need to further complicate matters,” O’Hanlon said. “However, if the government truly wants to see another partner in the venture, Tullow is ready to let someone in.”

The companies envisage a coordinated operation for the Lake Albert, which would require a $2 billion pipeline to pump the oil 800 miles (1,287 kilometers) to the Indian Ocean coast, where it would be shipped to the international market.

Any additional partner brought on board would have to be vetted by Tullow “in the most transparent way to ensure it’s the right partner and to avoid having speculators involved,” O’Hanlon said.

Tullow’s yearlong dispute with the government left Congo lagging behind Uganda in terms of developing its reserves, Isekemanga said.

Right now DRC produces 35,000 BOP from Western part of the country. Just a fraction of what we use. Now East-Congo will produce it own.

Last edited by BUTEMBO21; June 17th, 2009 at 01:49 AM.
Old June 17th, 2009, 01:22 AM   #12
mkenya

Quote:
It was for economic reasons....A big oil refinery for an export market will need more than $15 Billion and that is just for something like 200,000 barrels..given that this will be via loan..repaying it will take too long and they may end up paying something like $17 billion...so...I think it is economics....big super investments could make the country go bankrupt....even Angola which has been one of the biggest oil producers in Africa with over 10 billion barrels has been importing the refined products and has now just began building a $10 billion refinery for its local market..
Old June 17th, 2009, 02:00 AM   #13
BUTEMBO21
Mutu ya Chuma.

Quote:
It was for economic reasons....A big oil refinery for an export market will need more than $15 Billion and that is just for something like 200,000 barrels..given that this will be via loan..repaying it will take too long and they may end up paying something like $17 billion...so...I think it is economics....big super investments could make the country go bankrupt....even Angola which has been one of the biggest oil producers in Africa with over 10 billion barrels has been importing the refined products and has now just began building a $10 billion refinery for its local market..
Can't they built a mall Refinery? why bult a big one when they will be prosucing less than 300,000 bod.
Old June 17th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #14
mkenya

Quote:
Can't they built a mall Refinery? why bult a big one when they will be prosucing less than 300,000 bod.
yes..they are building a small one for local needs
Old June 17th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #15
BUTEMBO21
Mutu ya Chuma.

Quote:
yes..they are building a small one for local needs
That's good for them. any info on how much it will cost?
Old June 17th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #16
03virgil

it wasn't an attack
all i have to say is that i hope the western part of Uganda doesn't turn in another Niger delta
we have got to attack the problems that come with oil wealth in a manor that satisfies the local people and the country as a whole
Old June 17th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #17
03virgil

i actually hope that there there is alot more oil there that they have currently disclosed
BTW they have only explored a mere fraction of the suspected several oil wells on land not forgetting that there is probably alot more oil in the lake itself
But i think the whole big refinery thing uis just a plan for the moment, as soon as Uganda is confident that the amount of oil it has is substantial
it will build one
i believe the government is just hinting that the findings could prove to be mucjh more that previously projected

gO uGANDA dO yA tHINg
Old June 18th, 2009, 03:27 PM   #18
Mister79

Likes (Received): 3363

I have read that countries with oil in Africa developed slower then countries without oil in Africa..

An African country with oil can only become a succes if they have a very strong leader like the Gulf countries and very little corruption..
Mister79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #19
Kenguy

Likes (Received): 3303

Quote:
it wasn't an attack
all i have to say is that i hope the western part of Uganda doesn't turn in another Niger delta
we have got to attack the problems that come with oil wealth in a manor that satisfies the local people and the country as a whole
I look at the discovery more as a blessing. At least people have knowledge of what happens when oil wealth is mismanaged. And the oil rich areas were previously marginalised areas of Uganda and already, infrastructure is being built in those areas.

Uganda's power outages may as well be a thing of the past if the oil is used for power generation in addition to the Bujagali dam currently under construction. That means it may be possible to re-establish industries that have relocated elsewhere due to high power costs.

My main problem is the local politics when oil money starts pouring into the economy. Uganda's leaders don't really have clean records when it comes to corruption cases and other forms of monetary mismanagement. My other problems are border disputes with DRC and neglect of other areas of the economy.
Old June 18th, 2009, 07:42 PM   #20
BUTEMBO21
Mutu ya Chuma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenguy View Post
I look at the discovery more as a blessing. At least people have knowledge of what happens when oil wealth is mismanaged. And the oil rich areas were previously marginalised areas of Uganda and already, infrastructure is being built in those areas.

Uganda's power outages may as well be a thing of the past if the oil is used for power generation in addition to the Bujagali dam currently under construction. That means it may be possible to re-establish industries that have relocated elsewhere due to high power costs.

My main problem is the local politics when oil money starts pouring into the economy. Uganda's leaders don't really have clean records when it comes to corruption cases and other forms of monetary mismanagement. My other problems are border disputes with DRC and neglect of other areas of the economy.

Uganda is playing with knives. WE ARE NOT GOING TO LOOSE EVEN AN INCH OF OUR LAND. Keep that in your mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
oil, trade, uganda