City Centre South | Major Mixed-Use Redevelopment - Page 14 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Coventry Developments

Coventry Developments Proposals and Construction

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 1st, 2019, 11:22 PM   #261
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 5826

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril sneer View Post
Still think the clock tower as a stand alone building with the rest of that elevation demolished would look better.

I agree cs although what is the usage of the rest of that building?

andy86 liked this post
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2019, 11:40 PM   #262
DBadger
culled

Likes (Received): 6114

For comparison:

Coventry Telegraph

Amazing...

I mean, you can actually see that there's a high street down there. God knows who'd use the old entrance if they didn't know.

♣ WOLVERHAMPTON ~ BIRMINGHAM 2022

MisterDae, We-Are-Borg-1987 liked this post
DBadger está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2019, 12:01 PM   #263
We-Are-Borg-1987

Likes (Received): 188

The new view towards the former Post Office building in Hertford Street is fantastic.

The Coventry Telegraph article talks about repaving for Hertford Street, which I think goes beyond just replacing the tarmac:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...dgate-16359694

The £2.5m works are outlined here:

https://edemocracy.coventry.gov.uk/d...0Phase%205.pdf

"8. Hertford Street

Upgrading of the existing surfacing and street furniture with enhanced public realm materials, combined with the removal of the Nationwide Bank to provide a direct link for pedestrians from the train station into Broadgate. Public art will be included in the proposals, such as the ‘Peeping Tom’."

Re-paving an area which City Centre South may eventually tear up might seem short-sighted, however I think they just need to get on with it. The route from the train station is really impressive until Hertford Street. The paving- especially beneath the canopy- is truly worn out and can't be pressure washed 'clean' any more. CCS is likely to follow the existing building line to a point, and where there is divergence they can just repair/add to the paving.

I don't think City Centre South is 'Waiting for Godot' but I do think it will be different. Rugby is about to get BTR (Build to Rent) investment and with Coventry an hour from London, land near the train station is like gold. All the 'easy' city centre sites have gone to student accommodation, so as London's population and economy keep growing (along with house prices) Coventry will become a viable commuter hub. An hour commute is better than many parts of the Home Counties, only up here our land prices are a fraction of what they are further south.

So I think how CCS will be different from previous proposals is that developers will want the land to construct 'Build to Rent', with the ground floors almost incidental to the resi above. CCS is inevitable as the land is so valuable for resi. Ditto Friargate. I think we will see widespread BTR like we have seen student accommodation.

The issue with BTR is long term maintenance is a concern i.e. in 30 years time, such blocks may be left to rot. Not to mention the social issues of long term renting i.e. its more expensive than buying.

Blue Mercia, RalphGuy liked this post

Last edited by We-Are-Borg-1987; June 2nd, 2019 at 12:10 PM.
We-Are-Borg-1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 2nd, 2019, 07:45 PM   #264
Dr Pepper

Likes (Received): 1734

Looking good for Motofest. If I had a criticism it would be the ugly white plastic windows don't suit the building.
MFCS2 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr

MFCS3 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr
Old June 2nd, 2019, 07:46 PM   #265
Dr Pepper

MFCS1 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr
Old June 3rd, 2019, 08:57 PM   #266
Blue Mercia

Likes (Received): 6

Coventry Point is apparently to be demolished by Autumn 2020.

We-Are-Borg-1987 liked this post
Blue Mercia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2019, 11:34 PM   #267
libero82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Mercia View Post
Coventry Point is apparently to be demolished by Autumn 2020.

So nothing much doing with CCS then!
libero82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2019, 10:22 PM   #268
We-Are-Borg-1987

With Coventry Point gone, CCS will become alot more economically viable. Taking on a huge old building like that is pretty risky for any developer. The remaining units such as some of the single storey units on Hertford Street look to be of pretty poor construction so could be demolished without much hassle. Coventry Point however is probably as difficult as demolition gets given its size in that location.

Coventry Points demolition will expose the huge 'North-South' divide in quality between the buildings to the North of Market Way and those to the South of where Coventry Point is now. Some of the units on Shelton Square are breathtakingly bad. However, I have a soft spot for the Arcade, but its condition has deteriorated as it seems its being 'let go' in preparation for CCS one day.

RalphGuy liked this post
Old June 4th, 2019, 10:33 PM   #269
We-Are-Borg-1987

The WMCA funding for Phase 5 of the Public Realm Enhancement Scheme was supposed to be going for final approval last month, so we will hopefully hear some good news on that soon.

Original source:

https://coventryobserver.co.uk/news/...e-funding-bid/

RalphGuy liked this post
Old June 5th, 2019, 12:53 AM   #270
Fernando Partridge

Likes (Received): 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by We-Are-Borg-1987 View Post
With Coventry Point gone, CCS will become alot more economically viable. Taking on a huge old building like that is pretty risky for any developer. The remaining units such as some of the single storey units on Hertford Street look to be of pretty poor construction so could be demolished without much hassle. Coventry Point however is probably as difficult as demolition gets given its size in that location.

Coventry Points demolition will expose the huge 'North-South' divide in quality between the buildings to the North of Market Way and those to the South of where Coventry Point is now. Some of the units on Shelton Square are breathtakingly bad. However, I have a soft spot for the Arcade, but its condition has deteriorated as it seems its being 'let go' in preparation for CCS one day.
Won't there be some expense sorting out the groundwork where the tunnel is to the Barracks Car Park?
Fernando Partridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2019, 10:26 PM   #271
We-Are-Borg-1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando Partridge View Post
Won't there be some expense sorting out the groundwork where the tunnel is to the Barracks Car Park?
True, the office block above it is pretty substantial.

On previous CCS renders (such as the 2017 ones) Hertford Street appears pretty level and it doesn't show the Barracks Car Park. Either those renders are very indicative, or they will re-grade the whole area. I guess the proposed car park where Argos is currently would replace those lost parking spaces.
Old June 8th, 2019, 05:19 PM   #272
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Likes (Received): 1247

Looks far better opened up, in my opinion.

Untitled by Bodgecity, on Flickr

I don't like that shuttered window, and the building could do with a clean, but it's does make Hertford Street far lighter. I don't think this'll be a place where groups 'hang out' and intimidate people as it's quite a large opening.

I wonder if it'd be better if they put windows/shop units on the blank walls?

Coventry Urban photo thread: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2050082

DBadger, We-Are-Borg-1987 liked this post
NewTroll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2019, 12:27 PM   #273
We-Are-Borg-1987

I think the blank internal walls are stairwells however I don't know if the position of the stairs would prevent small 'kiosk' style units with windows opening out into the newly opened up space. The blank walls at least need some artwork etc.

I hope those two very sad looking trees go as part of the upcoming works. They seem to be very randomly placed!!

Ironmonger Square appears to have been included as a 'spillover' space from Broadgate for this years Motofest. No reason why- with some cleaning up- this space couldn't work in the same way and in fact more successfully owing to its more direct visual connection.

It would be good to see some cafes with outdoor seating open at this top end of Hertford Street. Maybe even some nightlife. I remember coming out of the Dog and Trumpet at night and this area was literally deserted. As a basement unit the Dog and Trumpet unit is itself quite interesting, haven't been to the current business there though.
Old June 17th, 2019, 01:17 AM   #274
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Likes (Received): 1247

I find this is a huge improvement. Broadgate feels different now.

Opened up by Bodgecity, on Flickr

Coventry Urban photo thread: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2050082

cyril sneer, RalphGuy, DBadger liked this post
NewTroll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2019, 01:23 AM   #275
TigerSkippy

Likes (Received): 10

The little kiosk-type shops on either side would benefit from a refresh
TigerSkippy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2019, 11:57 AM   #276
skybluecity

Likes (Received): 706

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerSkippy View Post
The little kiosk-type shops on either side would benefit from a refresh
I think the original plan was to remove them and to create new units within the building itself (as shown below). Just don't think there were the funds, but perhaps this can be done at some point in the near future.

skybluecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2019, 11:09 AM   #277
We-Are-Borg-1987

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...entre-16443469

City Centre South final plans a year away (presumably the Planning Application will be submitted before the City of Culture year)

Upper Precinct is on schedule!

RalphGuy liked this post
Old June 18th, 2019, 12:24 PM   #278
libero82

Quote:
Originally Posted by We-Are-Borg-1987 View Post
https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...entre-16443469

City Centre South final plans a year away (presumably the Planning Application will be submitted before the City of Culture year)

Upper Precinct is on schedule!

In reality does this mean no real development getting underway until 2022? Surely they won’t want a building site across half of the City centre. Perhaps use the City of Culture year as a showcase to secure any investment shortfall.
libero82 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2019, 09:21 PM   #279
We-Are-Borg-1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by libero82 View Post
In reality does this mean no real development getting underway until 2022? Surely they won’t want a building site across half of the City centre. Perhaps use the City of Culture year as a showcase to secure any investment shortfall.
Yes, I think 2022 is when it would probably start. However, they might do some limited demolition works during 2021.

When the Upper Precinct and Cathedral Lanes are finished then the retail and restaurant market could be re-assessed i.e. what chains are missing.

This additional delay is frustrating (Jerde was 2008 and the original CCS was 2012) but at least it shows they are serious. Better that they go back to the drawing board than push an unrealistic scheme. Developers promote unrealistic schemes to inflate land value, but constant re-designs show they mean business.

In the meantime we will have the Upper Precinct, works to Market Way/Smithford Way (completing the redevelopment of the 'Coventry Cross') and the final Cathedral Lanes works.

RalphGuy liked this post
Old August 4th, 2019, 09:25 PM   #280
Dr Pepper

MDCS1 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr

MDCS2 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr
Advertisement