City Centre South | Major Mixed-Use Redevelopment - Page 17 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Coventry Developments

Coventry Developments Proposals and Construction

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 27th, 2019, 06:20 PM   #321
We-Are-Borg-1987

Likes (Received): 182

The below article on street food is really interesting in terms of potential uses:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...-indoor-market

Given the number of chain restaurants Coventry has successfully attracted within the last 5 years, the number of potential chains as occupiers has reduced (although there is still some potential for more, probably before 2021). Brum has a thriving streetfood scene, Leamington's right now is fairly limited so Coventry won't have much sub-regional competition in that field and it would be something quite different. Something different and a more high quality environment will be key to retaining spending.

So a streetfood hall (which I think is more than just a temporary trend), a new cinema, maybe some more alternative leisure provision e.g. bowling or even a laser quest etc, some limited ground floor retail/restaurant units and resi/student accommodation. The wild card could be attempting to remove the listed status of the Market (which the Council could do by approving a development in its place), unlikely though.

I would expect it to be smaller in scope than the renders from 2017, which were probably drawn up in 2016 so are now quite outdated in terms of the retail market etc. Having said that, the basic layout will probably be basically the same, as the latest layout was an evolution of Jerde(ish) and the original 2012 layout.

jonfsnow liked this post
We-Are-Borg-1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 24th, 2019, 11:54 AM   #322
We-Are-Borg-1987

Hertford Street:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...y-new-17466178

"A gold coloured resin bonded gravel will be the final covering but 'can only be laid at a particular air temperature".

A similar surface is proposed for outside 'The Wave'. A current example of this in use is at Jubilee Square in Leicester.

I'm surprised they aren't using paving to match Broadgate. It is a disappointment as the surface will degrade more than paving, however Hertford Street has always been so grim its arguably better than nothing.

I just hope we don't see a repeat of the red/pink paving that was used on High Street, then re-done and finally ripped up. Potentially this surface in Hertford Street will be ripped up again in 5-10 years time.

RalphGuy liked this post
Old December 24th, 2019, 07:04 PM   #323
kxv

Likes (Received): 29

image hosting

We-Are-Borg-1987, RalphGuy liked this post
kxv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 25th, 2019, 12:50 PM   #324
transportfanboy

Likes (Received): 274

Is that the flag of Austria-Hungary on that window on the top left?
transportfanboy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2019, 09:28 PM   #325
jonnys

Likes (Received): 146

It represents the phoenix rising from the ashes and the redevelopment of the city following WW2.

NewTroll liked this post
jonnys no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2019, 01:29 PM   #326
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Likes (Received): 1245

Quote:
Originally Posted by We-Are-Borg-1987 View Post
The below article on street food is really interesting in terms of potential uses:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...-indoor-market

Given the number of chain restaurants Coventry has successfully attracted within the last 5 years, the number of potential chains as occupiers has reduced (although there is still some potential for more, probably before 2021). Brum has a thriving streetfood scene, Leamington's right now is fairly limited so Coventry won't have much sub-regional competition in that field and it would be something quite different. Something different and a more high quality environment will be key to retaining spending.

So a streetfood hall (which I think is more than just a temporary trend), a new cinema, maybe some more alternative leisure provision e.g. bowling or even a laser quest etc, some limited ground floor retail/restaurant units and resi/student accommodation. The wild card could be attempting to remove the listed status of the Market (which the Council could do by approving a development in its place), unlikely though.

I would expect it to be smaller in scope than the renders from 2017, which were probably drawn up in 2016 so are now quite outdated in terms of the retail market etc. Having said that, the basic layout will probably be basically the same, as the latest layout was an evolution of Jerde(ish) and the original 2012 layout.
I have never understood this obsession with 'outdoor performance/food spaces' in the UK as they are horrible and unusable for most of the year. I've visited towns with old buildings converted into indoor food halls like this and they work well. A bunch of tatty vans and cheap tables and chairs in a rainswept precinct slicked with pigeon shit and full of people vaping is far from appetising.

There was talk a few years back of building a new market hall, but the current one was listed. Couldn't the current market be adapted as a food hall and a new market (A square one) go up somewhere else? (Last time I was in there it looked like there were quite a few empty stalls.) I don't like the building much, mainly because of the weird way it faces 'backages', but if it were done up I think it could be OK.

Coventry Urban photo thread: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2050082

Fernando Partridge liked this post
NewTroll está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2019, 07:20 PM   #327
Dr Pepper

Likes (Received): 1733

BDCS1 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr
Old January 1st, 2020, 10:26 PM   #328
We-Are-Borg-1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTroll View Post
I have never understood this obsession with 'outdoor performance/food spaces' in the UK as they are horrible and unusable for most of the year. I've visited towns with old buildings converted into indoor food halls like this and they work well. A bunch of tatty vans and cheap tables and chairs in a rainswept precinct slicked with pigeon shit and full of people vaping is far from appetising.

There was talk a few years back of building a new market hall, but the current one was listed. Couldn't the current market be adapted as a food hall and a new market (A square one) go up somewhere else? (Last time I was in there it looked like there were quite a few empty stalls.) I don't like the building much, mainly because of the weird way it faces 'backages', but if it were done up I think it could be OK.
I think its highly likely that converting the existing market to a food hall will be part of the new CCS plans. A recent CT article said they were looking at a street food market type venue and that would be the ideal location.

The 2012 CCS plan proposed to demolish the buildings immediately to the south of the market and the 2017(?) renders added buildings to the eastern edge of the market. I think the next plan (due this spring I think was the latest news?) will omit buildings around the market for public space e.g. for market stalls. I think more public space will be to get the development cost down so it can go ahead. In an ideal world there would be more apartments etc but I think the only way for it to go ahead is to reduce the number of proposed new buildings.

Management of any new market would be key e.g. you can get high quality permanent stalls with set themes and branding. That could work, but I agree we dont want to create rainswept, empty places so it would need to be done carefully.

I don't think the latest CCS plans will be a huge surprise when they land, what I am curious about is whether the 'Arcade' will be staying or not. Its demolition could provide public space around the market, but they could propose to refurb it to create units for small firms, similar to today but more high end. E.g. Victoria Gate in Leeds- whilst very different in key respects- has frontages which remind me of the arcade.

The listing can be overturned, Historic England lists buildings but the Planning Committee could still vote to approve alterations e.g. ripping the sides out to create new windows and entrances etc.

Last edited by We-Are-Borg-1987; January 1st, 2020 at 10:37 PM.
Old January 3rd, 2020, 05:12 PM   #329
Fernando Partridge

Likes (Received): 390

Quote:

That's an interesting idea. I like it.
Fernando Partridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2020, 09:39 PM   #330
skybluecity

Likes (Received): 703

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando Partridge View Post
Quote:

That's an interesting idea. I like it.
It's a very good idea, which is why it'll never happen.

'Brenda from Tile Hill' will be furious. Some high-minded ball sack from the 20th century society (or whatever it's called) would first convulse and then compose themselves to write a strongly-worded objection whilst sat outside an Artisan coffee house in Soho. But it's unique blah blah.

It'll stay as a market, but if we're lucky the outside will be re-paved and they'll erect a statue of Jeanette Crankee or something.

When I have my Michael Douglas 'Falling Down' moment I'm going to hire a bulldozer and just start knocking shit down. Ricoh first though.
Old January 3rd, 2020, 11:49 PM   #331
Fernando Partridge

Likes (Received): 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by skybluecity View Post

'Brenda from Tile Hill' will be furious. Some high-minded ball sack from the 20th century society (or whatever it's called) would first convulse and then compose themselves to write a strongly-worded objection whilst sat outside an Artisan coffee house in Soho. But it's unique blah blah.

It'll stay as a market, but if we're lucky the outside will be re-paved and they'll erect a statue of Jeanette Crankee or something.

When I have my Michael Douglas 'Falling Down' moment I'm going to hire a bulldozer and just start knocking shit down. Ricoh first though.
Are you on True Coventarian on Facebook? Bloody hell there are obviously plenty of descendents of the luddites from the weaving trade about on there....
Fernando Partridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2020, 12:50 PM   #332
skybluecity

Quote:
Quote:

Are you on True Coventarian on Facebook? Bloody hell there are obviously plenty of descendents of the luddites from the weaving trade about on there....
Nah, purposely avoid that. I can only imagine.

I must stop posting on here when I've had a beer too!
skybluecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2020, 07:02 PM   #333
kxv

Likes (Received): 29

Stalls moved today it seems

upload

danjames, RalphGuy, We-Are-Borg-1987 liked this post
kxv no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2020, 09:22 PM   #334
danjames

Likes (Received): 31

yessss, i wonder when works will begin at ripping up the paving around upper precinct then
danjames no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2020, 03:43 AM   #335
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:

The place still disorientates me. I can't find that record stall anymore. I don't know if it's closed down or moved! When I went to where I thought it was, it was no longer there. I'm scared that one day I'll go in and never get out. Have they done a Dr Who story set in Coventry market?

There are a couple of interesting stalls in there, but the rest is nothing special and the sort of stuff you can get cheaply in Poundland, Home Bargains and many other low cost chains. I don't know how the stallholders make a living, it must be tough.

Maybe they could more Fargo Village into it. :-)

I can't wait for the Krankie statue. I shall worship weekly at it with a cry of Fandabidosie!

Coventry Urban photo thread: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2050082

skybluecity liked this post

Last edited by NewTroll; January 6th, 2020 at 03:51 AM.
Old January 6th, 2020, 03:48 AM   #336
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
I got banned from there.

They are truly some of the most narrow minded, ignorant people I've ever come across.

I can understand how Sheldon feels in the Big Bang Theory when talking to them and some of the people on the Coventry Telegraph Facebook group.

Old January 6th, 2020, 10:31 AM   #337
skybluecity

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjames View Post
yessss, i wonder when works will begin at ripping up the paving around upper precinct then
The paving started to come up in December around the perimeter of BHS but paused over Xmas. The workmen all all out again this morning, so expect to see real progress in the next month or two.

Curious that they have moved the food kiosks before the Hertford Street works are completed, but I guess they have a schedule to work to.

RalphGuy, danjames, We-Are-Borg-1987 liked this post
skybluecity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2020, 12:07 AM   #338
Dr Pepper

Likes (Received): 1733

TSCS1 by Dr Pepper, on Flickr
Advertisement