City Centre South | Major Mixed-Use Redevelopment - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Coventry Developments

Coventry Developments Proposals and Construction

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 6th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #81
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Likes (Received): 1247

Quote:
Originally Posted by CovAD View Post
I do get the mailings from them, and obviously they go for a wider audience from the local towns and Coventry as well because students aren't always there and it increases their revenue potential. But students are the easiest and nearest audience for them to reach who do spend a higher percentage of their disposable cash on entertainment than other groups. And uni students are more likely to try a more diverse number of things.

Do you really think they'd have put the venue there WITHOUT the uni being there?.
The Arts Centre is there because Warwick Uni built it. That's all. Are you saying that you need to have a Uni to have an arts centre like that? Warwick Uni was one of the first universities to be run along the lines of a business - it's another revenue stream for the Uni.

Are you saying that a centre like this in the centre of Coventry would fail because it's not on a Uni Campus? How many Universities have large diverse Arts centres like that on campus?

It's pretty obvious that its aimed at the middle classes of Coventry and Warwickshire. I doubt the student numbers would be sufficient to keep a complex as large as that going! I doubt you'd fill 2000 seats of students to see 10cc. Sorry, but you're just completely wrong here. I can't be arsed to argue about it. You only need to spend a few minutes looking at the upcoming events to see that it's perfectly located between the middle class parts of Coventry and middle class Warwickshire.

Coventry Urban photo thread: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2050082
NewTroll no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 6th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #82
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBadger View Post
Would like to speak out as a student who would much prefer a jazz/classical music place over whatever you think we'd want; if anything students have been bloody pidgeonholed so much that we've lost a lot of places we'd actually enjoy - nightlife that doesn't revolve around getting plastered every night. Students spend all their time in nightclubs at night because nightclubs is literally all there is in a lot of cities. Speaking as a Wulfrunian, what other place is open at night in the city centre of Wolvo? Don't fall into that trap Cov, lol.

I also have America on my iPod :p
Oh for heavens sake. I was a student who listened to jazz and had a wider taste in music than most people, so I _know_ that some students aren't into whatever's big at the time. But in _general_ students _don't_ listen to jazz or classical. I remember turning up to gigs at Coventry Poly for acts like Kirsty MacColl and there would be 20 people there! For the big name acts at the time, the place would be absolutely packed.

Coventry Urban photo thread: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2050082
Old June 6th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #83
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnymoore88 View Post
I said that VHS homes stored would be a candidate for the flag ship store right at the start but new troll seemed to think is was a rubbish idea.
It's not a rubbish idea for the idea, it's rubbish for the fact it'd just be relocating a third rate store to a new unit. The whole _point_ of this redevelopment is to boost retail, not just shift the existing stuff around.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 6th, 2012, 10:18 PM   #84
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix1043 View Post
I disagree with that somewhat, since I know some students at Warwick and I have friends who are students in their early/mid twenties, who love Jazz music. Students don't always have to be young either, there are older students at universities these days so definitely a mix of ages.

Music is getting back to it's roots, more and more acoustic musicians are gracing the stages and Coventry has a lot of this on offer (from a range of ages). I believe you would be suprised how versatile the musical taste is in our City, actually.... :>

CovAD's assertion is that WAC is a student venue.

I'm saying that it isn't. That's over the road, the building the general public cannot use. I don't care if there are a small percentage of 20 somethings up there who are into Jazz (I was one about 15 years ago when I was a postgrad there!) - the venue is aimed at the general public, in particular those with somewhat highbrow tastes or slightly offbeat or non mainstream tastes (I saw John McLaughlin and Remember Shakti there a few years back - a fusion of Indian and Jazz.).

Even my daughter (Aged 4) went there with the school to see an Xmas panto (Which she enjoyed thoroughly and is going shortly to see anther play.) - of course the Panto was a non-conventional one. No cross dressing!

The jazz festival Coventry used to host was excellent. Coventry's always actually had a jazz scene. There was also Cov beat in the 1960s.

There's currently and excellent progressive rock band called Luna Kiss from the city. I got their CD this morning. Most excellent.

Old June 19th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #85
punkkiller1981

Likes (Received): 0

i might be being thick here but when do we expect this job to actually land on site now that planning has been granted?
punkkiller1981 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 07:01 PM   #86
Regeneration is cool

Likes (Received): 95

2015/2016
Regeneration is cool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 11:56 PM   #87
Dr Pepper

Likes (Received): 1734

Found this picture of the development area, taken from Ikea a couple of years ago.
[IMG]http://i47.************/51f3f6.jpg[/IMG]
Old August 17th, 2012, 02:16 AM   #88
Typhoon2000
...Ready for departure.

Likes (Received): 880

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Pepper View Post
Found this picture of the development area, taken from Ikea a couple of years ago.
[IMG]http://i47.************/51f3f6.jpg[/IMG]
Wow! What a mess!

(Someone at Cadbury obviously has a sense of humour...)
This is Birmingham... FORWARD!!!
Typhoon2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 11:27 AM   #89
We-Are-Borg-1987

Likes (Received): 188

You only realise how awful alot of the city centre is when you stop and look properly.

I was in Leamington yesterday and there its the opposite, the more you look at the place in detail the more attractive it is!

At least when this gets underway it will be a major step forward. Coventry won't exactly be a top destination but it will be light years head of where we are today.
We-Are-Borg-1987 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 07:09 PM   #90
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by We-Are-Borg-1987 View Post
You only realise how awful alot of the city centre is when you stop and look properly.

I was in Leamington yesterday and there its the opposite, the more you look at the place in detail the more attractive it is!

At least when this gets underway it will be a major step forward. Coventry won't exactly be a top destination but it will be light years head of where we are today.
I think this 'overhaul' is just more turd polishing! They're not fundamentally changing much, just rejigging it a little bit. I can't really see why it'll make much of a difference. It's a poorly designed area at the moment, and the plan does improves on it, but it's still fundamentally a planned precinct that interacts poorly with the surrounding town. And keeping that shitty market... Face, palm, face, palm. **** English Heritage!

I was in Coventry on Saturday morning, and then Leamington for lunch today. And I agree with you. From the top of the parade down to the bottom, Leamington just works and looks decent.

It's not spectacular - but the side streets link up and continue along and they seem to have footfall along them as they lead to residential or business areas. Most of the buildings are sort of Victorian/Edwardian brick affairs with some architectural features - the grand regency streets that are 'outside' the main centre are absoluely fabulous... The 'boulevard' is how Coventry's ring road should have been constructed - surface level, lined with buildings and parking areas and allowing the existing streets to still have connections.

There 's nothing at all there to match Coventry's medieval churches, medieval guild halls and other medieval remains. No deep history, either. It just looks and feels good, and all seems to work well. There's a vibrancy to the streets and it's a far more interesting and pleasant environment. Once you get past the ring road in Coventry it's just mediocre. Even Leamington's old town is an interesting series of streets. Leamington, to me, even feels more like a town than Coventry. Coventry's a medieval city that's had a post-war atrocity plonked on it and as a result we just have a disjointed, dysfunctonal mess that most people don't like. The architecture is quite poor, and too uniform. Everything is in the same drab, featureless style, and it's not dated well, either, and looks quite tatty. Only the odd gem like the Belgrade Theatre is OK, but that was saddled with a terrible public space outside.

yet Coventry could have been like Leamington - most of the streets that ran out into Coventry's suburbs were lined with decent buildings until they were demolished. The Far Gosford Street->Gosford Street->Smithford Street-> Spon Street corridor that had been Coventry's main commercial spine for centuries was destroyed and replaced with a precinct. Everything else was demolished, and is poorly linked up.. If this spine had been kept, and the surviving streets been restored then Coventry would be a damned decent looking decent. There was PLENTY of room for new businesses in the area left vacant by city centre factories as well.

What's laughable is that Gibson is quoted as saying that the 'precint will rival Leamington's Parade.' In actual fact, Gibson's squalid pile of shit just drove people to Leamington in their droves. Coventry tore down all the character that existed in Coventry and replaced it with dead streets.

Last edited by NewTroll; August 19th, 2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old August 19th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #91
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon2000 View Post
Wow! What a mess!
They're sort of turning it inside out... Might be better, but it can't be worse. It still makes me wonder how something could have been designed to badly in the first place. We've been building cities for thousands of years, yet in the post war years it all seemed to go to pot.

I sometimes wonder if it's because Coventry was really the first UK city to grow substantially in the era of the car. This appears to have altered the way people move around the city centre and removed much of its streetlife.

Last edited by NewTroll; August 21st, 2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old October 14th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #92
Regeneration is cool

Likes (Received): 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon2000 View Post
Wow! What a mess!
Oh my god that looks SHIT. !!!

Oh well only around 2 years to go until it's good bye to the ugly mess. And just a bit of relevant news Coventry is one of the UK's top 10 crap places to live and so is Nuneaton. I agree with that.

Last edited by Regeneration is cool; October 14th, 2013 at 11:51 PM.
Regeneration is cool no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 02:59 PM   #93
morestoreysplease
Brummie Angeleno

Likes (Received): 2117

But is number 2 for 18-25 year olds!! Yes that view is a bit of a mess but could be improved vastly if CCC pulled their heads out of the sand, broke the concrete collar of the ring road and positioned buildings / streets better.
morestoreysplease no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 02:14 AM   #94
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regeneration is cool View Post
Oh my god that looks SHIT. !!!

Oh well only around 2 years to go until it's good bye to the ugly mess. And just a bit of relevant news Coventry is one of the UK's top 10 crap places to live and so is Nuneaton. I agree with that.
2 years to go until what?

Old April 13th, 2014, 11:35 PM   #95
Dr Pepper

Just a couple of things..

Firstly, noticed that Hertford House looks pretty much abandoned, with more than a few broken windows. The entrance opposite CEX was padlocked.
[IMG]http://i57.************/x1m8fk.jpg[/IMG]

Secondly, having seen the above I popped round to Shelton Sq to have a look at this building below.
[IMG]http://i61.************/2ymfv44.jpg[/IMG]
There seemed to be only 2 businesses left displayed on the wall next to the lift, with a note on the door about another that has just moved out.

Stuff must be going on behind the scenes. Leases run down, tenants moving out and so on.
Old April 14th, 2014, 12:39 AM   #96
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Another dingy tunnel hopefully biting the dust soon, and that part of the precinct is ghastly.

Old April 16th, 2014, 10:30 PM   #97
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

EDIT: Whoops, wrong office block. NTL/Virgin were in a different one.

I wouldn't even know how to get into that office. Where is the entrance?

Old April 16th, 2014, 10:44 PM   #98
Fernando Partridge

Likes (Received): 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTroll View Post
EDIT: Whoops, wrong office block. NTL/Virgin were in a different one.

I wouldn't even know how to get into that office. Where is the entrance?
Christ knows, funny really, must have walked by that building hundreds of times. I've never considered that anybody works in it. Christ - it's absolutely ghastly!

Is the Barracks Car Park being retained?
Fernando Partridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2014, 10:51 PM   #99
Dr Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTroll View Post
Another dingy tunnel hopefully biting the dust soon, and that part of the precinct is ghastly.
Just to the left of the second column to the left. Easy to miss.
Old April 17th, 2014, 10:34 PM   #100
NewTroll
Concerto Grosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando Partridge View Post
Christ knows, funny really, must have walked by that building hundreds of times. I've never considered that anybody works in it. Christ - it's absolutely ghastly!

Is the Barracks Car Park being retained?
I think Barracks is going.

That office building originally had two levels of shops underneath it, but no one ever used the upper shops so they removed the staircase, apparently.

Why did they persist with things that never worked?

One thing that struck me recently was that the precinct was originally designed as a series of 'squares' and balconies. Hence why the upper and Lower precinct have larger blocks linked by blocks set back with balconies on them.

When I first came to Coventry, it was still like this, but now they have removed the concept of squares I find it's a bit of an odd shape and doesn't look right. I think I preferred it when it was a 'square' as it made sense then.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement