MRTC-MRT3 | Length: 16.9 km| 13 Stations (Sumitomo Rehab) - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure > Railways

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 19th, 2019, 11:28 AM   #1
CityLite

Likes (Received): 68

MRTC-MRT3 | Length: 16.9 km| 13 Stations (Sumitomo Rehab)

Please let us use this thread mainly for MRT3. Start posting your comments, ideas, issues, videos, and photos here. Let's organize it and please follow the rules. Thanks.

Moderator's Note: Instead of a dedicated thread for all things MRT3, please make this thread the focus on the MRT3 Rehab by Sumitomo. Please post all updates of that project in this thread.

AirRail781 liked this post

Last edited by [email protected]; September 20th, 2019 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Added moderator's note
CityLite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 19th, 2019, 05:32 PM   #2
sean911

Likes (Received): 308

As this is now a thread solely for the MRT 3, I guess it痴 okay to voice out my opinion as a user of this train system. I壇 like to voice out as I really don稚 think other people get how it is to ride these trains as a regular commuter.

I知 terribly sorry if this is a lengthy post but I just have to share.

覧覧覧覧覧覧
I used to, since 2017 to early 2019, ride the MRT 3 to work in Ortigas from Cubao daily. I now switched to bringing a car most days and ride the MRT at once or twice a week. This is mainly due to the unbearable condition of the trains. Here are my observations:

1. Unbearability

We池e used to seeing pictures of long lines in the news but what I believe makes it most unbearable is its unpredictability.

For many years, the system has been problematic but it has become considerably unbearable this past year. When I started riding the MRT in 2017, running train sets would reach 22 at most, 20 at an average, during rush hour. This kept waiting times as little as every 4 to 5 minutes or even less. Yes, they did break down a lot but the frequency of the trains made it bearable. I had experienced multiple/several/a multitude of occasions of being unloaded from a train but a following train would come in and at most, you would only have to wait for another 2 or 3 trains to ride. Don稚 get me wrong, they are all full to the brim but one by one people would eventually get on.

After Sumitomo took over, the DOTR committed 15 trains running during rush hour. This is down from a max of 22 to 24. In reality though, 15 is only ever reached after rush hour, around 9am to 10am onwards, if ever. Usually it値l be 13 or 14 train sets running. Sometimes, it値l only be 12 or even 10 on really bad days.

Headways are considerably long, reaches 15 to 20 minutes most times. Of course, the arriving train would be full, so you壇 have to wait for the next one equally as lengthy a wait.

MRT ridership has gone down considerably from around 450,000 passengers per day in 2017 to less than 350,000 in 2019. The 100K people converted to driving their cars probably. Yet, the MRT is crowded as ever.

Don稚 get me wrong, I知 not blaming the new management or operator here. This is all for the people痴 safety after all. I知 just stating reality. It has become unbearable.

This is what that daily experience looks like in Cubao:

2. Misleading updates

I usually check DOTr MRT-3痴 official twitter feed (https://twitter.com/dotrmrt3?lang=en) for the condition of the trains. There used to be live CCTV feeds at each station to check if they池e jam-packed or not back in 2017/2018. These were removed this year for reasons that were not published. Now, I rely on the twitter feed for my updates. This is what that looks like:

On a bad day:

On a good day:

Notice that in the first one they mention headway of 7.5 minutes while in the second one, it痴 8.5 minutes. The comments tell you everything. The indicated info is usually misleading. I usually rely on the people痴 comments rather than the actual tweet, TBH. Not to mention that if the system is extremely slow or stopped, no update will be posted at all. Updates are usually hourly. I壇 know something痴 wrong if they, DOTr-MRT, haven稚 posted an update in the last hour.

and lastly,

3. Alternative transport

On the MRT痴 bad days, I would usually ride the bus from Cubao to Ortigas. Simple yet it usually takes around an hour痴 travel. With the strict implementation of the yellow lane, travel has been 1 and a half to 2 hours. FROM CUBAO TO ORTIGAS, mind you! That is no longer an option for me. [Side note, i don稚 get how people can say there are too many buses along EDSA, if any, we actually need more. The buses are always, ALWAYS, so full from Cubao. As if you壇 be seated if you ride the bus, you壇 always be standing in a very cramped back-to-back configuration all the way to Ortigas.]

I now bring my car to work. I知 privileged that I致e always had a car as a back-up transpo but parking and gas expenses pile up and I壇 like to save by using public transportation. Now, bringing a car is my only viable option to get to work. Added expenses but at least i壇 have my sanity with me.

Solution?

I guess everyone has an opinion on how to improve our traffic situation. What I really think though is give priority to pedestrians and public transportation. Only after can we penalize private cars. Just an honest suggestion.

覧覧覧覧覧覧

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to get this off my chest. I thought i壇 enlighten others to the plight of commuters if they had not the chance to experience it themselves.

- Images taken from twitter.
Old September 19th, 2019, 07:56 PM   #3
O_H

Likes (Received): 85

It has space for improvement now that Sumitomo is back. Let their magic run its course.

pedrosanti, noelmd, boncedrick liked this post
O_H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2019, 08:19 AM   #4
[email protected]
Philippine Forum Mod

Likes (Received): 5687

I think this thread is a good idea, BUT I think we should focus on the Sumitomo Rehab. There are lots of improvements such as the new rails and commissioning of the Dalian trains coming in the next two years so its only fair that this rail line

General rants and news about MRT3 and other rail rapid transit lines that is already operating should still be in the Mass Rapid Transit thread.

"The best solution all over the world, time tested, safe, no pollution, is still the use of the train system." - Ms. Elvira Medina, Nat'l Center for Commuter Safety and Protection
queetz@home no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 09:10 AM   #5
rickie

Likes (Received): 63

What's the real status of the Dalian trains? Boo chanco tweeted that sumitomo is NOT in favor of ever using them.

But mrt officials said the Dalian trains will be used as soon as track replacement is complete. This means 2 years pa.

Any chance the trains could be used sooner?
rickie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 09:30 AM   #6
sean911

MRTC-MRT3 | Length: 16.9 km| 13 Stations (Sumitomo Rehab)

I壇 just like to add one last thing. DOTr keeps bragging about the Sumitomo rehab being completed by 2021. As if that値l make the riding public be more at ease. That痴 2, at least TWO, more years of agonizing hardship.

-Rant over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickie View Post
What's the real status of the Dalian trains? Boo chanco tweeted that sumitomo is NOT in favor of ever using them.

But mrt officials said the Dalian trains will be used as soon as track replacement is complete. This means 2 years pa.

Any chance the trains could be used sooner?

There痴 actually news that three Dalian train sets would be put to use by the end of September.

I致e heard that multiple times before though and it never materialized.

https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/116651...month-mrt-exec

rickie liked this post
sean911 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 09:48 AM   #7
[email protected]
Philippine Forum Mod

Likes (Received): 5687

Just because the rehab will be completed in 2021 does not mean there won't be improvements *today*. Yes there will be improvements but they will be gradual. For example, the three Dalian trains will remove around a minute from the waiting time. It doesn't seem a lot but trust me, that one minute can make a huge difference if it adds up. Imagine if there is another three Dailian trains that happens, say three months after. That's another additional minute of less waiting time. And so on.

So while it will take two years to finish, that does not mean in two years time, BAM! MRT3 is heaven again. No, it just means it will be a two year journey to commuter bliss but little improvements will be felt as the days go by.

"The best solution all over the world, time tested, safe, no pollution, is still the use of the train system." - Ms. Elvira Medina, Nat'l Center for Commuter Safety and Protection
queetz@home no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2019, 10:34 AM   #8
sean911

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Just because the rehab will be completed in 2021 does not mean there won't be improvements *today*. Yes there will be improvements but they will be gradual. For example, the three Dalian trains will remove around a minute from the waiting time. It doesn't seem a lot but trust me, that one minute can make a huge difference if it adds up. Imagine if there is another three Dailian trains that happens, say three months after. That's another additional minute of less waiting time. And so on.

So while it will take two years to finish, that does not mean in two years time, BAM! MRT3 is heaven again. No, it just means it will be a two year journey to commuter bliss but little improvements will be felt as the days go by.

I so hope you池e right.

Forgive me. I致e simply ran out of hope in the recent months as expounded in my earlier post.

In any case, I sincerely believe that we池e now on the right path. It痴 just the timing of it all that needs certainty.

AirRail781, dipdown, kamehameha liked this post
Old September 21st, 2019, 10:01 AM   #9
absinthe_888

Likes (Received): 11103

PRRD, #SONA2019
absinthe_888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2019, 01:38 PM   #10
absinthe_888

---

As of yesterday

PRRD, #SONA2019
Old September 29th, 2019, 03:35 AM   #11
MrDingDong

Likes (Received): 122

I guess sa october na gagamitin ang tatlong dalian trains? Dalawang araw nalang ang september eh.
MrDingDong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2019, 03:52 AM   #12
sean911

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDingDong View Post
I guess sa october na gagamitin ang tatlong dalian trains? Dalawang araw nalang ang september eh.

I wouldn稚 keep my hopes up. I致e been waiting for more than a year. They致e said that multiple times before.

MRTLRT123 liked this post
Old September 29th, 2019, 03:45 PM   #13
jp1032

Likes (Received): 3181

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I think this thread is a good idea, BUT I think we should focus on the Sumitomo Rehab. There are lots of improvements such as the new rails and commissioning of the Dalian trains coming in the next two years so its only fair that this rail line

General rants and news about MRT3 and other rail rapid transit lines that is already operating should still be in the Mass Rapid Transit thread.
They need to install thermal sensor para maoptimize yung lamig sa loob ng tren. Di kasi pedeng nakasagad or nakababa masyado ang aircon temperature. Kawawa mga pasahero nyan.
jp1032 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2019, 10:14 PM   #14
O_H

Likes (Received): 85

All this dalian fanboyism is just greatly nakakagalit considering the decrepit state of the rails na SA NOVEMBER PA LANG PAPALITAN.

MRTLRT123 liked this post
O_H no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2019, 10:48 PM   #15
ganmatthew
Transport Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 317

If it counts, escalators in Shaw Blvd station have been working for a while now. Bathrooms do not have water, unfortunately.
ganmatthew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2019, 06:54 AM   #16
absinthe_888

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDingDong View Post
Traffic: Is relief in sight?
DEMAND AND SUPPLY - Boo Chanco (The Philippine Star) - September 30, 2019 - 12:00am

Quote:
During the Marcos years, the LRT-1 came about. Then FVR gave the sweetheart deal for MRT-3. LRT-2 followed. But the key mass transport is MRT-3

The private owners led by the Sobrepenas of College Assurance Plans (CAP), Ayala Land, Ramcar, Greenfield Development of Unilab, Anglo Philippines Holdings and a few others had a great deal going for them. They had a guaranteed income from government. It didn稚 matter that Erap pegged the fare at a point too low to recover cost of operations.

Government was responsible for operations. The Sobrepena consortium was a rent collecting landlord. The consortium bailed out on their economic interest by issuing bonds backed by the guaranteed government rental. But the consortium retained ownership.

Soon there was trouble because MRT-3 was not being maintained well. That was supposed to be the business of the landlord, but government took it on and messed up.

The PNoy administration made a series of bad decisions we are paying for up to now. They awarded maintenance contracts to political allies who were only interested in the fees, with zero knowledge of what to do.

Then PNoy痴 Jun Abaya awarded the purchase of new rail cars to a Chinese company that didn稚 follow the specs required. So, the Dalian railcars are not being used and P3.8 billion of the people痴 money wasted. Under the MRT-3 contract, the Sobrepena consortium, like any landlord, was supposed to be responsible for capex like new train cars.

Come the Duterte administration. They dilly dallied on what to do with MRT-3, the Dalian trains and the still legal owners, the Sobrepena consortium.

Finally, they moved and negotiated a deal with JICA to hire back Sumitomo to fix MRT-3. Good move. Mar Roxas erred in firing Sumitomo, in the first place.

MRT-3 facilities need a lot of fixing. The rails are falling apart, which explains why the trains are running at reduced speed. The electrical lines, the communication facilities and other technical stuff need upgrading too.

Sumitomo will take care of all that. But under the JICA agreement with Sumitomo and DOTr, Sumitomo will only bring back MRT-3 to the point when their contract expired in 2009. No new train cars and they don稚 want to have anything to do with the Dalian train cars. I imagine the guarantee will cease if DOTr uses the heavier Dalian cars.

That means running 22 trains per hour by 2021, which was the level in 2009. In short, no capacity increase after 12 years! After all the huffing and puffing and wild anticipation, we are not going to be better off in 2021 than when PNoy took over.

PRRD, #SONA2019

AirRail781 liked this post
Old September 30th, 2019, 10:26 AM   #17
maczilla

Likes (Received): 102

That is the sad part, the rehabilitation if MRT3 will not result to increased passenger capacity. In the meantime, pinoys are multiplying like rabbits.

Time for a separate subway line shadowing MRT3.
maczilla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2019, 11:26 AM   #18
alvingod

Likes (Received): 541

So its shaping up as a stalemate between Sumitomo and DOTr. If DOTr insists on using the Dalian trains what will Sumitomo do? Will they call for breach of contract and ditch the rehab?

Line 3 is really ****ed up. It seems like every admin is taking turns making bad decisions with it.

ganmatthew liked this post
alvingod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2019, 11:32 AM   #19
jp1032

Likes (Received): 3181

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvingod View Post
So its shaping up as a stalemate between Sumitomo and DOTr. If DOTr insists on using the Dalian trains what will Sumitomo do? Will they call for breach of contract and ditch the rehab?

Line 3 is really ****ed up. It seems like every admin is taking turns making bad decisions with it.
Philstar as source? Better to hear that from DOTR itself.

Actually what I dont want in Sumitomo contract is the civil works and station facelifting are not included.

Last edited by jp1032; September 30th, 2019 at 01:00 PM.
jp1032 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2019, 11:48 AM   #20
kratos1211

Likes (Received): 988

The problem is DOTr did not have the foresight to negotiate for the inclusion of the Dalian trains in the maintenance contract with Sumitomo. I think they are currently negotiating for the additional costs needed.
Advertisement