JOHANNESBURG - FNB Stadium / Soccer City (94,736) - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity
 

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed


Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old May 21st, 2006, 08:29 PM   #41
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...
 
Its AlL gUUd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: London
Posts: 6,017
Likes (Received): 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush
its world cup final...this is the one project that were really going all out for...its 98,000 seat stadium or nothing...no athletics track...its already a 70,000 seat stadium...if it was to be started from scratch then id be worried...its actually just upgrading it in many ways for 2010...even if that includes a new roof and 25,000 extra seats...
but what happens after the final? can SA really sustain a 100,000 seater stadia, or will it just be a white elephant?
__________________
I T S Y
Its AlL gUUd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:05 AM   #42
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!
 
Jack Rabbit Slim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Empire
Posts: 6,653
Likes (Received): 7243

That's what I'm concerned about!
__________________
Over ONE HUNDRED MILLION sharks are killed each year by humans, 11,000 sharks every hour of every day.

Many species of the oldest predator on this planet will be extinct in less than 50 years at this rate. They will never be here again.
Jack Rabbit Slim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:57 AM   #43
Giorgio
Registered User
 
Giorgio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 10,662
Likes (Received): 495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush
oh please greece is so deep in debt it cant even breathe....talk about major flaws when it takes u 7 years to put a new roof on an old bowl..talk about blowing money...when ure gonna be paying off debt for the next 75 years...south africa is spending what it can afford..
Excuse me, this thread has nothing to do with Greece.

Now back to topic,

How can you tell me SA can afford it when you have 20 million people below the poverty line. Please, get your priorities straight.

Im simply saying that it would be more beneficial to fix all the major flaws in SA before even thinking of blowing money on this stadium.
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:12 AM   #44
thryve
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 5,344
Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Gioяgos]
Excuse me, this thread has nothing to do with Greece.

Now back to topic,

How can you tell me SA can afford it when you have 20 million people below the poverty line. Please, get your priorities straight.

Im simply saying that it would be more beneficial to fix all the major flaws in SA before even thinking of blowing money on this stadium.
Not that I agree with anything Mo Rush says, but c'mon Giorgos, it all benefits the people eventually.

What, should South Africa ignore all big opportunities that could bring cash flow into the country?

You have no idea what you are talking about...

-thryve
thryve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:21 AM   #45
Giorgio
Registered User
 
Giorgio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 10,662
Likes (Received): 495

Quote:
Originally Posted by thryve
Not that I agree with anything Mo Rush says, but c'mon Giorgos, it all benefits the people eventually.

What, should South Africa ignore all big opportunities that could bring cash flow into the country?
Excuse the fact that Im arguing your word Andrew but the cash flow will be very minimal wont it?
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:03 AM   #46
Durbsboi
East Coast Massiv
 
Durbsboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Durban
Posts: 16,649
Likes (Received): 183

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Gioяgos]
Not to mention some of the worlds most horrific crime statistics.

If your going to blow money on a stadium when you have such major flaws to deal with elsewhere, atleast build a good looking stadium. My goodness.
Ya like we the worlds most dangerous country, I dont see suicide bombers aorund, do you? our country is not under attack from a looney president looking for oil? You live in Asstralia, & you the first to point out racists, why dont you tell us the figures of the racial crime againts the natives in Auz? huh? why dont you tell us about the protests before the commonwelath games. Do me a favour go to Perth city center & scream out loud that SA is shit, 1000buks says you will get moor'd so badly you would forget that you were in Asstaralia.

Every country has their fare share of crime, & the figure of 20 million people below the poverty line? where the hell did you get that from? are you counting school children & babies as well? cause they have to go through schooling first before ataining a job.

About blowing our money on a stadium, its all budgeteed for & unlike Athens we getting alot of international investors & support, they want to see this event a success. Which most of you guys here want the oppositte.

oh yeh & your comment on good looking stadiums , the bowl of that Athens olympic stadium is soooo original, how did they come up with such a remarkable design? mind blowing I tell you! (PS: by no means was that comment a racial attack on the greek public, if you deem it as a racial comment, I feel sorry for you)
__________________
–ŭґطąמ
South Africa's Playground!



Bucket Facebook Page
Durbsboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:31 AM   #47
Durbsboi
East Coast Massiv
 
Durbsboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Durban
Posts: 16,649
Likes (Received): 183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd
but what happens after the final? can SA really sustain a 100,000 seater stadia, or will it just be a white elephant?
oh dear how on earth are we going to fill the stadium again



Oh my I wonder why the stadium is filled up?



PS: Soccer City is the home stadium to SA's most supported club, the might AMAKOSI (Kaiser Chiefs) {look in FIF06 they there too along with Orlando Pirates} So they have the biggest fan support in the country, I dont see a problem of filling the stadium.



The weekend that went by, Durbans Kings Park (ABSA stadium) hosted the final of a cup competition, which 2 of SA's biggest clubs competed in, it was a huge success & in front of a capacity crowd of 52000 people in Durban.
__________________
–ŭґطąמ
South Africa's Playground!



Bucket Facebook Page
Durbsboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:09 PM   #48
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...
 
Its AlL gUUd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: London
Posts: 6,017
Likes (Received): 297

I don't mean just for one-off occasions,

In England a certain capacity stadium is built if there is reason that the stadium will be used regularly and filled regularly, most stadiums in england have near capacity crowds. would the club team that use this stadium have a regular attendance of over 80- 90,000?


this is what i meant
__________________
I T S Y
Its AlL gUUd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:15 PM   #49
Durbsboi
East Coast Massiv
 
Durbsboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Durban
Posts: 16,649
Likes (Received): 183

I wont say 90 000 week in & week out, but a strong 75 000 - 80 000 should be present
__________________
–ŭґطąמ
South Africa's Playground!



Bucket Facebook Page
Durbsboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 02:16 PM   #50
Zorba
Stadium Fan
 
Zorba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Athens
Posts: 827
Likes (Received): 2

I think its funny that whenever giorgos comments on this thread or any thread related to South Africa, Mo Rush is always the first to just attack the Athens Olympic Stadium even if it had nothing to do with the converstation.

It's like he cant really generate a real counter to anything that giorgos says so he just sinks to the level of a 6 year old who just got his feelings hurt and retaliates by bringing up something that has nothing to do with the topic.

I'm not saying that I even agree with what giorgos is saying(because in this case I dont) but the South African forumers(especially Mo Rush) could show a tad bit more maturity.
__________________
No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.--Nelson Mandela
Zorba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:04 PM   #51
victory
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 192
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durbsboi
Do me a favour go to Perth city center & scream out loud that SA is shit, 1000buks says you will get moor'd so badly you would forget that you were in Asstaralia.


You have obviously never been to Australia.
victory no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:08 PM   #52
Durbsboi
East Coast Massiv
 
Durbsboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Durban
Posts: 16,649
Likes (Received): 183

y u say that?

& You have obviously never been to South Africa.
__________________
–ŭґطąמ
South Africa's Playground!



Bucket Facebook Page

Last edited by Durbsboi; May 22nd, 2006 at 04:41 PM.
Durbsboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:40 PM   #53
Durbsboi
East Coast Massiv
 
Durbsboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Durban
Posts: 16,649
Likes (Received): 183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba
I think its funny that whenever giorgos comments on this thread or any thread related to ........................................................tad bit more maturity.
yes Mo does bring up the Athens topic quite alot when dealing with Giorgos, but it is relevant to what was being said, that is if you read it carefully, giorgos was implying that SA is blowing all their money on a stadium that doesnt satisfy him, with out even finding out where the funding for the stadium is coming from or how it is structured & budgeted, hence Mo was just reminding him about his home countries own financial problems, hence the relevance to bring up Athens, I mean besides that, there is nothing to talk about?

Look here all I can say is, if you want to be optimistic so long, just dont speak bad about SA, coz when 2010 comes along, we will put on a fantastic event, I dont know if it will be the best ever, but being the first country in Africa to host the event, I'm sure we will do a good job. We already recieving backing from most African countries, & other international countries, Sepp Blatter loves the country, so I dont really give a shit if you dont. Quite frankly I think most of the optimist are just mad coz we hosting it.
Dont worry your turn will come soon, maybe in like 20-32 years, its not that long.


........................wait & see
__________________
–ŭґطąמ
South Africa's Playground!



Bucket Facebook Page

Last edited by Durbsboi; May 22nd, 2006 at 04:46 PM. Reason: I miss splet Gioяgos's name, so to prevent myself to being called a racist again, I quickly corrected it :D
Durbsboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:47 PM   #54
Giorgio
Registered User
 
Giorgio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 10,662
Likes (Received): 495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durbsboi
Ya like we the worlds most dangerous country, I dont see suicide bombers aorund, do you? our country is not under attack from a looney president looking for oil? You live in Asstralia, & you the first to point out racists, why dont you tell us the figures of the racial crime againts the natives in Auz? huh? why dont you tell us about the protests before the commonwelath games. Do me a favour go to Perth city center & scream out loud that SA is shit, 1000buks says you will get moor'd so badly you would forget that you were in Asstaralia.

Every country has their fare share of crime, & the figure of 20 million people below the poverty line? where the hell did you get that from? are you counting school children & babies as well? cause they have to go through schooling first before ataining a job.

About blowing our money on a stadium, its all budgeteed for & unlike Athens we getting alot of international investors & support, they want to see this event a success. Which most of you guys here want the oppositte.

oh yeh & your comment on good looking stadiums , the bowl of that Athens olympic stadium is soooo original, how did they come up with such a remarkable design? mind blowing I tell you! (PS: by no means was that comment a racial attack on the greek public, if you deem it as a racial comment, I feel sorry for you)
How is it NOT racial when you bring in a totally unrelated nation into the disagreement? Clearly you are running out of sane arguments and so you try to make up with it by attacking Australia.

I love how I make a comment and then all of a sudden a thread about SA turns into Mo Rush's anti OAKA propeganda. Its sad actually. The other sad thing is his signature. Since when we Cape Town an Olympic city? Never was and never will be (atleast until the AIDS issue is extinguished and the Crime levels decrease dramatically).

I came to give my feedback on the design and I am instantly greeted with Mo Rush's crap.

As for the roof...Im not even going to bother. Your envy is so un appealing. Clearly it is envy otherwise you wouldnt be going on about it (we NEVER start the roof discussion).

I think you both should grow up. Athens has nothing to do with the crucial issues in SA like crime. Dont try and bring down another city for your own sick pleasure.

Now lets continue discussions on this tyre....I mean...ashtray...I mean....stadium and why it shouldnt be built when Im donating $1 a day to African children.
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:49 PM   #55
Giorgio
Registered User
 
Giorgio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 10,662
Likes (Received): 495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durbsboi
yes Mo does bring up the Athens topic quite alot when dealing with Giorgos, but it is relevant to what was being said, that is if you read it carefully, giorgos was implying that SA is blowing all their money on a stadium that doesnt satisfy him, with out even finding out where the funding for the stadium is coming from or how it is structured & budgeted, hence Mo was just reminding him about his home countries own financial problems, hence the relevance to bring up Athens, I mean besides that, there is nothing to talk about?
That dosnt justify why Athens was brought up in an SA thread.
Clearly it was a racial taunt.
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:02 PM   #56
Durbsboi
East Coast Massiv
 
Durbsboi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Durban
Posts: 16,649
Likes (Received): 183

This is a forum, nothing we say will actualy take place, like you & me can be fighting for ever, but the real world wont even know whats taking place...ok?

I was wrong to make that statement, what I should have said was the names of the respective forumers relevant to the statement instead of generalizing on all greeks, for that, I apolagise.

C'mon Gioяgos we just had a good conv in the morning about keeping our cool, we got different opinions fine, but none of it needs to lead to this, each of us attacking our countries & may I remind you again that nothing we say or do in this forums actulay takes place, so no matter how much you dont like our stadiums, its going to be built, no matter how much Mo envy's athens for taking the 2004 olympics, tough luck, it already happened & it was a success. So lets look forward to good things, not question what the country is doing, if SA were not aware of what they doing then I think this major boom thats taking place all over our country is fruitless, why are these people investing millions of dollars in our country if they didnt have faith in us?

C'mon bro wake up & smell something, there is no point in fighting....we cool

this will also be posted in the Barcelona- Kings of Europe thread.
__________________
–ŭґطąמ
South Africa's Playground!



Bucket Facebook Page
Durbsboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:54 PM   #57
Zorba
Stadium Fan
 
Zorba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Athens
Posts: 827
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durbsboi
yes Mo does bring up the Athens topic quite alot when dealing with Giorgos, but it is relevant to what was being said, that is if you read it carefully, giorgos was implying that SA is blowing all their money on a stadium that doesnt satisfy him, with out even finding out where the funding for the stadium is coming from or how it is structured & budgeted, hence Mo was just reminding him about his home countries own financial problems, hence the relevance to bring up Athens, I mean besides that, there is nothing to talk about?

Look here all I can say is, if you want to be optimistic so long, just dont speak bad about SA, coz when 2010 comes along, we will put on a fantastic event, I dont know if it will be the best ever, but being the first country in Africa to host the event, I'm sure we will do a good job. We already recieving backing from most African countries, & other international countries, Sepp Blatter loves the country, so I dont really give a shit if you dont. Quite frankly I think most of the optimist are just mad coz we hosting it.
Dont worry your turn will come soon, maybe in like 20-32 years, its not that long.


........................wait & see
You dont need to try to convince me that South Africa will have a successful World Cup. I know they will, and I am planning on attending it(so long as Greece makes it).

I agree with you on the issue, the only thing is that it becomes quite annoying when Mo Rush makes a visible effort to put down the Athens 2004 Olympics in some way in all of his posts.

If there were other non-Greek forumers who shared the same views as Giorgos and all posted their views, I highly doubt Mo Rush would respond to them by pointing out problems in their country,but since giorgos is a Greek forumer Mo feels it is his duty to put down the Athens 2004 Olympics or the Olympic Stadium(which is one of the top athletics stadiums in the world btw).

Like I said I agree with you on this issue, I just wanted to point out a double standard.
__________________
No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.--Nelson Mandela
Zorba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:20 PM   #58
Coventry Nutter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 87
Likes (Received): 0

South Africa is not a safe country. I know three expats that have returned do Scotland due to the violence in South African cities. It must be bad if they class Glasgow as a safer option!!
Coventry Nutter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 03:06 AM   #59
victory
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 192
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durbsboi
y u say that?

& You have obviously never been to South Africa.
Well I'll admit two things

1) I couldn't completely understand your post, with the hopeless spelling and all
2) I have never been to South Africa. But all I have said is that SA has a big HIV problem, and you cannot deny that.
victory no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 08:27 AM   #60
Giorgio
Registered User
 
Giorgio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 10,662
Likes (Received): 495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durbsboi
This is a forum, nothing we say will actualy take place, like you & me can be fighting for ever, but the real world wont even know whats taking place...ok?

I was wrong to make that statement, what I should have said was the names of the respective forumers relevant to the statement instead of generalizing on all greeks, for that, I apolagise.

C'mon Gioяgos we just had a good conv in the morning about keeping our cool, we got different opinions fine, but none of it needs to lead to this, each of us attacking our countries
& may I remind you again that nothing we say or do in this forums actulay takes place, so no matter how much you dont like our stadiums, its going to be built, no matter how much Mo envy's athens for taking the 2004 olympics, tough luck, it already happened & it was a success. So lets look forward to good things, not question what the country is doing, if SA were not aware of what they doing then I think this major boom thats taking place all over our country is fruitless, why are these people investing millions of dollars in our country if they didnt have faith in us?

C'mon bro wake up & smell something, there is no point in fighting....we cool

this will also be posted in the Barcelona- Kings of Europe thread.
'
I never attacked any country. You were the one who attacked (or was it Mo)

First you and Mo rush tag Greece and then you go on to insult Australia. You even tell us it isnt a racist post! Get it right...

Your digging your hole deeper, just stop pointing the finger and get your friend Mo Rush to stop picking on me and Athens. Its evident he is since he brought up 2004 in this thread.
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 


Reply

Tags
johannesburg, soccer, south africa

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MILTON KEYNES | Stadium MK | 30,500 london lad Cultural and Sporting Venues 207 November 21st, 2018 10:00 PM
CARDIFF | New Cardiff City FC Stadium | 26,828 | Complete JamesWales Cultural and Sporting Venues 390 April 1st, 2015 05:16 PM
#Soccer City Stadium - 94,700+ - Johannesburg Mo Rush Sporting Infrastructure and Events 807 December 15th, 2008 12:52 PM


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us