Houses of Parliament | London, UK - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Rate Our Talls > Rate Our Architecture > Imperial Eras

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Please rate the Houses of Parliament.
10 98 66.22%
9.5 18 12.16%
9 18 12.16%
8.5 6 4.05%
8 4 2.70%
7.5 0 0%
7 1 0.68%
6.5 3 2.03%
6 0 0%
5.5 0 0%
5 0 0%
4.5 0 0%
4 0 0%
3.5 0 0%
3 or less 0 0%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 5th, 2004, 12:53 AM   #1
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 43

Houses of Parliament | London, UK

Houses of Parliament
Westminster, London

Height: 102m (Victoria Tower), 96m (The Clock Tower) and 80m (Central Tower)
Built: 1859
Architect: Sir Charles Barry, assisted by Augustus Pugin
Interior designer: Augustus Pugin
Construction Company: Grissell & Peto

Links:
http://www.parliament.uk/
Live webcasts from the UK Parliament
Virtual Tour of Parliament
Images of Parliament
Skyscrapers.com listing
The Bell ...

History:

The Palace of Westminster, on the banks of the River Thames, is the home of the House of Commons and the House of Lords, which, together with the Queen, form the Parliament of the United Kingdom. It is also known as the Houses of Parliament.

Buildings have occupied the site since at least Saxon times, though the oldest buildings still in existence date from about 1097. Edward the Confessor established the origins of the present buildings by building a royal palace on the site from 1050, and until 1529 Westminster was the main London residence of successive monarchs. A fire in that year caused Henry VIII to decamp from the Privy Palace at the south end of the site, to the Palace of Whitehall. Despite this, it remains a royal palace to this day.

On January 20, 1265 the first meeting of the first English parliament, summoned by Simon de Montfort, was conducted here, and - with some short vacations - has sat here ever since. The House of Commons made its first permanent home in St Stephen's Chapel, a part of the palace. It has therefore been at the centre of English and then Union government as it progressed from a monarchy to a parliamentary democracy and so has lent its name to the parliamentary system of government known as the Westminster System. And now for more than 900 years this very impressive assemblage of Gothic buildings has been the home of the English government and more recently the centre of the government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Indeed, it is true that no other place so potently symbolises democracy in the Western world more than this very old establishment.

Much of the ancient structures were destroyed by fire on October 16, 1834, and rebuilt by 1870, when the Parliament moved into their current residences.

The Current Palace

The Palace of Westminster occupies a site of approximately 3.24 hectares (8 acres) on the west bank of the Thames. The site is bounded to the east by its 266 metres (872ft) waterfront, and to the west by Parliament Square and Millbank. To the north is Portcullis House, a modern office building for MPs and their staff, and beneath which is Westminster tube station. To the south is the Victoria Tower Gardens, a small triangle of park between Millbank and the Thames.

The building has approximately 1,000 rooms, 100 staircases, and two miles of passageways. Although some parts of the building, such as Westminster Hall predate the 1834 fire, much of the present structure is from the 1870 construction. Some notable parts of the building include (from north to south):
  • The 96m high slim Clock Tower, undoubtedly the most famous feature, and housing the bell known as Big Ben, from which the Clock Tower is colloquially, but inaccurately named.
  • The House of Commons and the House of Lords, separated by their respective Lobbies, and by a Central Lobby, are at the heart of the building.
  • Above Central Lobby is what appears to be a smaller tower. This is, in fact, the extract chimney for the ventilation of the building and reaches 300ft above the lobby.
  • Victoria Tower is the square tower to the south west of the building, the tallest part of the palace, rising 102m.
  • Westminster Hall, erected 1097-1099 by William Rufus, is the oldest part of the Palace of Westminster. It measures 240ft by 60ft (73m x 18m), and was the largest in Europe for many years. The roof (1394-1398), built on the orders of Richard II, is the world's finest and largest surviving hammer-beam roof. The hall has served many functions, notably as the site of the highest court in the land until 1882. The United Kingdom's lyings-in-state take place here: William Gladstone (1898), King George VI (1952), Queen Mary (1953), Sir Winston Churchill (1965), Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother (2002).

The design of the present buildings was the result of a national competition, and was the work of Sir Charles Barry assisted by Augustus Pugin. The building is, according to the art historian Pevsner, in the Tudor Perpendicular style and combines Picturesque elements with Gothic detail.

Last edited by wjfox; April 17th, 2006 at 05:36 PM.
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2004, 12:56 AM   #2
Monkey
BANNED

This thread is for the entire Palace of Westminster, but there is a separate thread for the Clock Tower (Big Ben) here: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...t=60549&page=1
Old December 5th, 2004, 01:55 AM   #3
Caiman
I love those crazy dutch

Likes (Received): 4588

10/10

Absolutely stunning
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2004, 12:30 PM   #4
Manuel

Likes (Received): 33

Splendid. 10/10
Manuel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2004, 12:38 PM   #5
nick_taylor

Likes (Received): 10

10/10 - Best peice of neo-gothic architecture on the face of the planet. Love the 1097 Westminster Hall also which was incorporated extremely well into the design. Its hard to imagine that it was built in the 1870's (but existed in another form since 1097), cause most people would be fooled into thinking that its hundreds of years old!!!
nick_taylor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2004, 01:21 PM   #6
nick_taylor

Likes (Received): 10

What a guess that European1978 voted 6.5, he'd probably give a urinal a higher score
nick_taylor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2004, 01:52 PM   #7
Monkey
BANNED

Could one of the Moderators please delete European1978's vote?

PLEASE...
Old December 5th, 2004, 01:54 PM   #8
Monkey
BANNED

Here's another pic of the Victoria Tower, from the south

Old December 5th, 2004, 01:57 PM   #9
Matthieu
Administrateur

Likes (Received): 7283

9, because my prefered part. Big Ben, isn't in. Overall it's a 10.
Old December 5th, 2004, 02:48 PM   #10
vigo80

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfox2002
Could one of the Moderators please delete European1978's vote?

PLEASE...

WTF is this a public poll!

That is so stupid- all of these polls should be private.

I give it a 6.5.....I don't like overdone neo-gothic, its the same with Munich city hall, also neo-gothic, and not one of my favorite buildings.

Last edited by vigo80; December 5th, 2004 at 02:57 PM.
vigo80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2004, 02:52 PM   #11
Matthieu
Administrateur

Public polls are a necessity here. It prevent many trolls to downrate something.

I made all my post public, but I rarely bitch at low notes. Exepted for Brighton76 who downrated EVERYTHING French he seen (and was never posting aside of this).
Old December 5th, 2004, 02:55 PM   #12
vigo80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exarchus
Public polls are a necessity here. It prevent many trolls to downrate something.

I made all my post public, but I rarely bitch at low notes. Exepted for Brighton76 who downrated EVERYTHING French he seen (and was never posting aside of this).

I know about trolls and understand but the problem is when people expect people to vote highly for something and then question the motives of someone for not voting that way....like in this thread where the original poster is asking the mods to delete somebody'S vote. Trolling is a problem everywhere here but I don't think making this public will solve it as you said with Brighton76.
Old December 5th, 2004, 02:56 PM   #13
Matthieu
Administrateur

Actually he's brigged until he asks to Jan about being debrigged.

Wich he never did, so it was obviously a troll. It can be efficient, depending how you manage it.
Old December 5th, 2004, 02:58 PM   #14
vigo80

^true there are professionals but I just don't like having to explain why a gave the house of parliament an average rating and worry about someone accusing me of disliking London now.
Old December 5th, 2004, 03:01 PM   #15
Matthieu
Administrateur

Yes, it depend of the person and how it's done.
Old December 6th, 2004, 12:34 AM   #16
Phobos

10/10
As Nick Taylor said,It's the best Neo-Gothic building in the globe.
Old December 11th, 2004, 03:14 PM   #17
Tazmaniadevil

Likes (Received): 1

9.5 I really like the interiors more than the exteriors. But the decoration is over the top somewhat, and I can appreciate that some people don't like it.
But I love overly ornate architecture. Plain, simple lines, which some prefer, I find boring.
Tazmaniadevil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2004, 03:44 PM   #18
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

9. I like gothicism but I don't really like the English neo-gothicism that much. The Votivkirche would have to be my favorite piece of neo-gothic architecture.
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2004, 03:49 PM   #19
Matthieu
Administrateur

I'm not a fan of neo-gothicism either. But this building is more than just a neo-gothic.

But still, the traditional gothic style rules.

Last edited by Matthieu; December 11th, 2004 at 04:15 PM.
Matthieu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2004, 04:21 PM   #20
Kampflamm
Endorsed by the NRA

I believe there are some true gothic elements in there somewhere. Saw a nice documentary about it on BBC a couple of weeks. The Speaker of the House has a pretty lavish palace.
Kampflamm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement