British Tower Blocks - Page 115 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > General European discussions > Projects and Construction > Commieblocks Fan Club

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 100 votes, 5.00 average.
Old July 18th, 2015, 10:35 AM   #2281
ThatOneGuy
Real Horrorshow

More attractive? God no.

pets liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:05 PM   #2282
NLR

Likes (Received): 0

Certainly more attractive than the brickwork that currently exists on the remaining 6 blocks and the new sloping shared roof will be a lot more effective than the old flat roof which caused damp problems for residents due to leaks and poor drainage.
NLR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:07 PM   #2283
NLR

*slate roof*
NLR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2015, 06:27 AM   #2284
JuMpStyLe4eVeR
Viva Espaņa!

Likes (Received): 315

Completely Cyberpunk looking. Love it!
Old August 26th, 2015, 11:43 PM   #2285
Lewis 4

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro7en View Post
Tower blocks lol..
Yeah... ??
Lewis 4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2016, 11:20 PM   #2286
Wendigo Wendigo
I'm in your woods

Likes (Received): 657

I can't find this photo on this thread anywhere, so here it is.

Hyde Park Flats, Sheffield, 1965.

Source: http://picturesheffield.com/frontend...=zoom&id=17703

MiaM, Kebra liked this post
Wendigo Wendigo está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2017, 02:28 PM   #2287
Cliff
Tan

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeman View Post
I lived in Michael Cliffe 1996-1999 and it was awful. Its since been done up with proper door entry system and concierge, but when I was living there there was no security (or rather what there was had long since been vandalised and broken). It was infamous as a favoured suicide spot and we'd get jumpers every couple of months, as anyone could walk off the street and go up to the 23rd floor... The layout of the block was essentially as 2 connected but basically separate halves, each with its own pair of lifts (one odd floors, the other even) and a stairwell. Each half of each floor had a landing onto which the 4 flats opened (i.e. 8 per floor), and on the side of the block you're looking at in my photo there is an open balcony on each floor which runs across the front of the block as a fire escape between the two halves, either side of this bluish strip used to be completely open, i.e. this is where the jumpers used to fling themselves off. They've all been fenced in now though.

The whole area is crawling with gangs of chavs... one of their favourite games used to be torching cars in the underground carpark, so there'd always be fire engines and palls of black smoke licking up the side of the building. The windows all used to be metal-framed mass-produced affairs, but if you left them open without securing them very tightly with the blind cord then the wind would catch them and smash them against the side of the block, sending glass onto the playground below. At least one lift was always out of order, often both, causing some poor residents to climb the 23 floors by stair. The rubbish chutes were rank and often blocked up, so the landings swarmed with flies and stank in the Summer... there was a weird waste disposal system via the kitchen sink too, which was like a portal to hell every time you pulled out the plug.

Also, frustratingly, because everything was very sturdy concrete it was nigh on impossible to put up any shelves or pictures, as the walls were impossible to drill into. Good sound insulation though (and you'd need it with all the chavvy smackhead neighbours constantly fighting and arguing).

I can see how back in the 1960's blocks like this must have seemed like some sort of housing utopia with communal hot water and heating, rubbish chutes, lifts, waste disposal, intercoms... Sadly it is partly poor design and partly the filth councils put in these flats that make many of them hell-holes to actually live in.

This corner of London has some bad social problems, I've lived in far 'rougher' areas like Homerton and Forest Gate and never had any issues with antisocial behaviour, but in the Finsbury / Clerkenwell area there are huge roving gangs of White hoody-wearing scooter-riding scumbags... where I live now had been a constant nightmare at their hands until the security was sorted out in the Autumn. No doubt the little ****ers are smoking weed and pissing on some other poor bastards' stairwell now.
Tubeman, I live there now!

Cliff
Cliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 10:31 PM   #2288
blockhead1

bristol (Barton hill)

gaywood house , bedminster

Last edited by blockhead1; July 20th, 2017 at 10:50 PM.
blockhead1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
commieblocks, tower blocks

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: