The Coventry Question? - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Birmingham Metro Area > Coventry Developments

Coventry Developments Proposals and Construction

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 20th, 2019, 08:34 PM   #1
RalphGuy

Likes (Received): 3362

The Coventry Question?

This thread, which will eventually be moved to the Lunar Society, or perhaps even deleted, is a chance for people to say what they want on the Coventry question. This question seems to come up every so often and needs resolving.

It appears that Jan has gone ahead with some of my enquiries when I was just enquiring, nothing else, but it gives us chance to see what it's like having a separate section for Coventry.

Now, in my mind, here are the options.
1) Leave things as they were and just add the Coventry Interactive Map to the Birmingham Development Forum as a sticky or add it into the Construction sub-forum.

2) The new way Jan has set the forum up with separate sub-forums for Coventry Construction, Coventry Completed and I would ask him to add a sub-forum for Coventry Developments.

3) One big Coventry sub forum where you could click on it and be able to then choose which to click on next - Developments, Construction, Completed - so that you can go to any of those three sub-forums within the larger forum.

How does that sound? Any thoughts?

jonnys liked this post

Last edited by RalphGuy; May 20th, 2019 at 09:04 PM.
RalphGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2019, 09:34 PM   #2
RalphGuy

We could join the Wolverhampton and West Midlands Region threads up as they get less visitors than the Birmingham thread.

We could put Warwickshire in with Coventry and the other shires in with the Black Country.

That would cut the stickies by one and then we could add the Coventry Interactive Map as a sticky.

Lucas98, jonnys, Rijowhi liked this post
Old May 21st, 2019, 07:06 AM   #3
jonnys

Likes (Received): 119

No.3 sounds the most appealing although the Coventry sub forum has been working well since the changes were made a couple of months ago. Cheers.
jonnys no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2019, 02:16 PM   #4
RalphGuy

I've since found out that No 3 would mean that each sub-forum title would show under the Coventry Developments main title on the main page of the Forum. This therefore isn't an option anymore.

What I'm going to do at some point is turn the Coventry thread into the Coventry and Warwickshire thread and add the remaining shires of the West Midlands Region in with the Black Country so reducing the stickies by one.

Then a Coventry Interactive Map can be created and added as a sticky.

Lucas98, jonnys liked this post
Old May 21st, 2019, 07:13 PM   #5
junxs

Likes (Received): 10

Personally I have no interest in Coventry as it's its own city 20 miles from Birmingham, and it used to drive me mad when all their developments were mixed in with Birminghams so was delighted when they got their own sub-folder. Think it's common sense to stick all Coventry related stuff in there

RalphGuy, sefton66 liked this post
junxs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2019, 07:22 PM   #6
RalphGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by junxs View Post
Personally I have no interest in Coventry as it's its own city 20 miles from Birmingham, and it used to drive me mad when all their developments were mixed in with Birminghams so was delighted when they got their own sub-folder. Think it's common sense to stick all Coventry related stuff in there

Don't hold back junxs. We need to know what you really think.
Old May 21st, 2019, 07:39 PM   #7
RalphGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by junxs View Post

If we have one big Coventry sub-forum, then we have all their threads jumbled up together whether it be U/C or Completed or Proposed and I'm not prepared to do that.

If we have one big Coventry sub-forum with several smaller Coventry sub-forums within it, then we still get all the sub-forum titles on the main page of the Birmingham forum, thus reducing the number of Birmingham threads on the first page and I'm not prepared to do that either.

If we were to stick all the Coventry stuff together, then should we also do the same for Wolverhampton?

As I've said earlier, I think the best thing is to leave Coventry Construction as it is, leave the Coventry completed sites in the Completed forum, make the Official Coventry Development thread for Warwickshire also and then put the new Coventry Interactive Map in as a sticky with the main forum or on the Coventry Construction forum.

Unless someone comes up with a better idea, then that's what I'll do.
Old May 21st, 2019, 08:45 PM   #8
RalphGuy

And that's what I've now done so the Official West Midlands Region Development Thread 2! can rest in peace.

So, if Coventrians want to make a thread with links to the Coventry Interactive Map and post it, I will then make it a sticky.
Old May 23rd, 2019, 07:35 AM   #9
sefton66

Likes (Received): 6429

What about a coventry subforum with the development thread and map as sticky

Completed threads can be moved to the Birmingham metro area completed forum

Developments and constructionuction under the cov sub forum with its status in thread title
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 02:31 PM   #10
RalphGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefton66 View Post
What about a coventry subforum with the development thread and map as sticky

Completed threads can be moved to the Birmingham metro area completed forum

Developments and constructionuction under the cov sub forum with its status in thread title

It's certainly an idea. Yes sounds good. Just means that they've got construction and development threads jumbled in together, although it's certainly workable.

Will Coventrians be happy with that? Let's see.
Old May 23rd, 2019, 03:27 PM   #11
Engels
Simples

Likes (Received): 423

A couple.of thoughts

At a high level being part of the Brum forum brings eyeballs and interest to Cov and Black Country developments that otherwise would get few views or engagement. Keeping things together within the main Brum forum umbrella also aligns with the Combined Authority / West Midlands city region which makes sense.

In terms of sub forum structure personally i preferred all the Cov devs to be in with everything together as it brings more eyeballs and interaction to Cov threads. BUT i can completely see why Cov might want a separate subforum under the Brum umbrella. I would however make it a combined Proposed / Under Construction forum as there arent enough eyeballs for 2 and keeping proposed Cov devs in the Brum forum when U/C has its own subforum is inconsistent.

Either way i like the current approach Ralph is taking here of Consult - experiment - Consult . This is exactly how a forum should be run.

You were given this because people loved you, because people you never knew worked to feed you and long before you were born people died to protect you and to give you the opportunities they never had.

Life doesn't owe you anything! YOU owe life!
Engels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2019, 10:34 PM   #12
sefton66

Likes (Received): 6429

Equally I think the cov threads get overlooked some times when we get a big Birmingham update it’s easy to miss

The fact it has its own subforum suggests there’s a lot going on to warrant it and people may take a look off the back of that

RalphGuy liked this post
sefton66 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2019, 01:35 AM   #13
Force_alfa

Likes (Received): 388

Keep Coventry posts separate from Brums, I have no interest in Coventry constructions and found it annoying in the past when they were in the same thread as Brums. The changes a few months ago are perfect, could do one for Black Country also?

RalphGuy liked this post
Force_alfa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2019, 03:56 AM   #14
RalphGuy

Has the Coventry Question been answered with this new sub-forum?

Only time will tell.

First of all, we need to see how this works with the proposals and under construction in together.

Secondly, we need to decide whether the Completed Developments should also come into this forum. They are clearly marked Comp. at the end of each thread title but will it lead to too much confusion?

On another note, I've had to reopen the Official Coventry Development thread 8! as No 9! has mysteriously disappeared whilst being transferred across to this new sub-forum. I'll see if I can find it.

Anyway, I hope the new look Coventry forum works for you.

Edit : Do people want any Coventry Transport threads in this forum or the Birmingham Transport forum. There's only two Coventrian transport threads - The train station/bus interchange and the Very Light Rail.

Last edited by RalphGuy; May 31st, 2019 at 04:06 AM.
Old May 31st, 2019, 07:30 PM   #15
Blue Mercia

Likes (Received): 4

I would prefer to have it all here but I'm new.

RalphGuy liked this post
Blue Mercia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2019, 11:50 PM   #16
inspired

Likes (Received): 32

Hi, where is the main Coventry Thread. I expected to see it as a sticky with Birmingham and Wolves threads?
inspired no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2019, 11:22 AM   #17
RalphGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspired View Post
Hi, where is the main Coventry Thread. I expected to see it as a sticky with Birmingham and Wolves threads?

It's now a sticky in this forum.
Old June 5th, 2019, 10:51 AM   #18
inspired

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphGuy View Post
It's now a sticky in this forum.
I can only see Coventry Development thread. No 8, not Coventry Development thread. No 9.

Would have preferred it to have stayed with the other main city threads. Not being amongst them feels like its been graded less important than the Birmingham and Wolverhampton main sticky threads.
inspired no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2019, 01:23 PM   #19
RalphGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspired View Post
I can only see Coventry Development thread. No 8, not Coventry Development thread. No 9.

Would have preferred it to have stayed with the other main city threads. Not being amongst them feels like its been graded less important than the Birmingham and Wolverhampton main sticky threads.

There was a problem with the No 9 thread when it was transferred. I couldn't see it but others could. I shall have a word with admin and see what we can do for you.

As for the location of the thread, I consulted with the forum for some time as to what they wanted and the general response was to have a separate Coventry forum with the Official Development thread within it.
Old June 7th, 2019, 03:24 PM   #20
RalphGuy

Has anyone else found that a particular thread has suddenly disappeared?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement