Commieblocks of Russia - Page 7 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > General European discussions > Projects and Construction > Commieblocks Fan Club

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 5.00 average.
Old February 23rd, 2013, 05:56 PM   #121
evmt

Likes (Received): 1505

600West218

Floor layouts are widely available for standardized panel houses. They've changed quite a lot from khruschevkas to the ones in construction today.

These are layouts for some more modern panel series:

And these are from early 1970s:

Old February 23rd, 2013, 11:27 PM   #122
disciple9
The last disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by evmt View Post
600West218

Floor layouts are widely available for standardized panel houses. They've changed quite a lot from khruschevkas to the ones in construction today.
just go ahead and contribute some more examples

disciple9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2013, 01:12 PM   #123
evmt

There are sites that aggregate information about serially built houses, the ones I've linked above are from such site. There is a lot of data, so I'd better give you links. I hope it isn't hard to find layouts and some additional info using google translate.
http://translate.google.com/translat...tipdoma.com%2F
http://translate.google.com/translat...serii_domov%2F

disciple9 liked this post
evmt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 24th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #124
disciple9
The last disciple

good stuff, thx

DimaF liked this post
Old February 25th, 2013, 03:09 AM   #125
600West218

Likes (Received): 1580

Quote:
600West218

These are layouts for some more modern panel series:

And these are from early 1970s:
Thanks. That is very interesting.

How much of the current housing stock in Russia was built in Soviet times and how much in post-Soviet times? I would assume most Russians still live in Soviet era housing.

It has always seemed strange that a country with so much space builds such compact and vertical housing. I would expect it to spread out more like the U.S.
600West218 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2013, 03:13 AM   #126
600West218

Quote:
There are sites that aggregate information about serially built houses, the ones I've linked above are from such site. There is a lot of data, so I'd better give you links. I hope it isn't hard to find layouts and some additional info using google translate.
http://translate.google.com/translat...tipdoma.com%2F
http://translate.google.com/translat...serii_domov%2F
Interesting stuff.

I am going to Russia in May. I'll definitely try to get in some of these things.
Old February 26th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #127
evmt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600West218 View Post
How much of the current housing stock in Russia was built in Soviet times and how much in post-Soviet times? I would assume most Russians still live in Soviet era housing.
I don't know about Russia in general, but in Moscow 58% of housing stock dates from 1956 to 1985 and 35% - from 1986 to 2010 according to official data as of 2011. Aggregate floor space was 215m square meters.

Quote:
It has always seemed strange that a country with so much space builds such compact and vertical housing. I would expect it to spread out more like the U.S.
There are various reasons for that, ranging from historical and cultural to purely economic and environmental. A comprehensive answer to this question would probably make up a serious paper, so I'd state just a few points.
While it's true that Russia has a lot of space, much of its economic activity is concentrated in a few very compact regions. For example Moscow region (city itself and Moscow Oblast) constitutes less than 0.3% of total area of Russia, but it's population is ~13% of total (according to official census, probably higher in reality) and it's GDP is ~25% of all Russian GDP.
Free land in Moscow is scarce and very expensive, property prices are some of the highest in the world too. That's one of the main reasons most of houses built today are stretched vertically and usually at least 20 storeys high.
It's also much easier and cheaper to connect apartment buildings and not personal houses to all sorts of communications - centralized heating, water-supply, sewage, electrical systems, etc.
Old February 26th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #128
Robi_damian

Likes (Received): 11777

Quote:
I don't know about Russia in general, but in Moscow 58% of housing stock dates from 1956 to 1985 and 35% - from 1986 to 2010 according to official data as of 2011. Aggregate floor space was 215m square meters.

There are various reasons for that, ranging from historical and cultural to purely economic and environmental. A comprehensive answer to this question would probably make up a serious paper, so I'd state just a few points.
While it's true that Russia has a lot of space, much of its economic activity is concentrated in a few very compact regions. For example Moscow region (city itself and Moscow Oblast) constitutes less than 0.3% of total area of Russia, but it's population is ~13% of total (according to official census, probably higher in reality) and it's GDP is ~25% of all Russian GDP.
Free land in Moscow is scarce and very expensive, property prices are some of the highest in the world too. That's one of the main reasons most of houses built today are stretched vertically and usually at least 20 storeys high.
It's also much easier and cheaper to connect apartment buildings and not personal houses to all sorts of communications - centralized heating, water-supply, sewage, electrical systems, etc.
Plus, being 50 km from the city center sucks at -30 C.

There are similar cases in sparsely populated Latin America: many dense developments. On the other hand, many if not most people in Japan or England or Flanders live in single-unit homes.
Robi_damian no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 04:47 AM   #129
600West218

Quote:

Thanks for the information, it is very interesting.

Indeed I think it is partly cultural. Russians seem more people focused than Americans who are more individualistic and generally like to be a good distance from other people.

I've also always imagined that having those big aparment blocks makes heating much easier - you only have one external facing wall in most cases as opposed to a house which has four external walls and a roof. In a place that is very cold that could be a major consideration.
Old February 28th, 2013, 10:18 AM   #130
evmt

Quote:
Indeed I think it is partly cultural. Russians seem more people focused than Americans who are more individualistic and generally like to be a good distance from other people.
I don't think it's about individualistic vs collectivist approach. Living in an apartment building doesn't mean you have to anyhow interact with your neighbours, for example my contacts with them are limited to saying "Hello" in case I meet someone in the hall or the elevator. And it's like that for almost everyone, except for some old people.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 02:13 AM   #131
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 8327

Here is a photo tour of a commieblock factory in Minsk:

http://realt.onliner.by/2013/02/28/kpd-2/

disciple9, the dogi, keycap liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 05:40 AM   #132
ThatOneGuy
Real Horrorshow

[img]http://i29.************/sxyyog.jpg[/img]

the dogi, geometarkv liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #133
Urbananite

Likes (Received): 177

Bolshaya Tulskaya aka 'Titanic', Moscow, 1986

This is a megastructure of a housing complex - 400 meters long and has 16 stories.

Source: http://architectuul.com/architecture...shaya-tulskaya
Old March 15th, 2013, 08:47 PM   #134
disciple9
The last disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbananite View Post
This is a megastructure of a housing complex - 400 meters long and has 16 stories.
wow, this one is a ******* beast! You seem to have a good knowledge of classical housing complexes. Why don't you start your own thread of remarkable housing complexes of the history? That thread would have a lot of potential.

Old March 17th, 2013, 05:00 AM   #135
600West218

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbananite View Post

Source: http://architectuul.com/architecture...shaya-tulskaya
Where exactly is this located. I'd like to see it.

BTW, I'll be in Moscow and St. Petersburg soon. Can people tell me the best places to go to see big Soviet era housing blocks? I want to see stuff constructed during Soviet times, not more recent stuff. If people could point out good metro stops to get out of and walk around that would be great.
Old March 17th, 2013, 10:46 AM   #136
AlekseyVT
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7101

Quote:
Where exactly is this located. I'd like to see it.
#2 Bolshaya Tulskaya Street, near Metro station "Tulskaya" (Line 9).

Map

geometarkv liked this post
AlekseyVT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #137
kevtunja
я

Likes (Received): 520

wow esos edificios son descomunales !!! muy interesante este foro

saludos!!!!
kevtunja no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 05:19 AM   #138
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 8327

Moscow Ship House

http://mosday.ru/info/article.php?house-ship

http://www.incity.su/commercial_real...office_korabl/

kevtunja liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #139
disciple9
The last disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post

looks really scary this long corridor. I would not like to live there. Has something a bit of a jail, and those long corridors produce a lot of noise, since there is a high traffic of ppl getting to their flat. Bad idea to have a pavement right in front of your door.

Old April 24th, 2013, 12:26 PM   #140
pets

Likes (Received): 78

and all new doors open to outside, original ones always was opening to inside apartment..
pets no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
commieblocks

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: