Commieblocks in your city. Show us :-) - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > General European discussions > Projects and Construction > Commieblocks Fan Club

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 328 votes, 5.00 average.
Old March 11th, 2005, 03:55 AM   #61
Filip
Torontonian 4ever

Likes (Received): 436

Quote:
Originally Posted by L3D3NI
I hate to admit it but I was actually kind of impressed by those pictures. The walls are very nice, but the windows all look completely different so it ruins the harmony.
I agree, the windows ruin the building. The facade is completely fine, and the massing is fantastic. Even the CN tower's "pole" is in worse shape than the Genex's facade. I was pleasantly surprised by this.
Filip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 11th, 2005, 04:31 PM   #62
Tomesh
insatiable

Likes (Received): 0

Hi im new !! hehe first post ....
Well anyway I have to say that i hate the commieblocks in Warsaws center, but i also love them in a way .... gives the city way more character than a standard modern building
Tomesh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2005, 11:24 PM   #63
Endimion17

Likes (Received): 2

Re: Ciglane

Ciglane are rather nice. Maybe if they were just a floor or two lower.
I still do not understand why do you have to call apartment buildings "commie blocks". If I recall correctly, they are all over the world and they were not neccessarily invented in a comunism. People live inside them.
Commie block is actually a term for those awful giants (not floor count but the width) and too many ugly buildings spaced like boxes.
Many things discussed here could never be put in "commie block" folder.

I'll tell my sister to take a few picture of ugly and stupid buildings and then you'll see the true meaning of "commie block".
It's like 80% of the forum members here lives in Trump Tower.

Well, then what is Bionic Tower? Is it a commie block too?
Endimion17 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 11th, 2005, 11:56 PM   #64
Duckzilla
BANNED

Hey! Don't touch Ciglane, it's great part of Sarajevo, and my 1st girlfriend (if you can call her girlfriend with 5 years ) was from Ciglane!
Duckzilla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2005, 12:00 AM   #65
Duckzilla
BANNED

This is Doboj:

Old March 12th, 2005, 12:30 AM   #66
Indexi

I can see my block on one of those pics
Indexi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2005, 12:53 AM   #67
Duckzilla
BANNED

Which one
Old March 13th, 2005, 11:52 AM   #68
braykov1988
Kameniza

I must admit, I have this weird commieblock fetish... I think they are charming, part of the EE image. Especially the ex-YU ones. People will appreciate them some day. besides, it's really cool to live in commie districts as they are like parks (at least old ones)
Sofia is very abundant in commies, but most have cheap, gray (not even white ) facades, there are 4 or 5 basic design types developed throughout the years. There are some pieces of commieblock art, individual designs, even entire districts for the nomenclatura. but nothing so consistent as novi beograd. individual designs were made in cases when the building was financed by some enterprise to provide living space for it's workers. the rest was city council projects. and boy, they suck. there's hardly any symmetry, the quality is poor. That's because they had to construct them at a realy fast pace, sofia expanded from 300K to 1.2mil in just 40 years. and all those people had to settle somewhere.
so here's my district, Dianabad, a drop in the sea of sofia suburbs. I took the photos from my rooftop.

braykov1988 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2005, 12:20 PM   #69
maciekwr

Likes (Received): 1

sofia's commieblocks are awfull...
maciekwr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2005, 12:30 PM   #70
Petr
Iroquois of Europe

Likes (Received): 3503

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciekwr
sofia's commieblocks are awfull...
I can't see the diffrence between Sofia and Warsaw. Sofia just needs some large renovations.
Petr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2005, 07:48 PM   #71
3tmk
Rusty Robot

lol Dianabad, my uncle has some bad memories with the reservoir there
anyway, commies can be good if as Braykov said they are well planned. and the real problem is fast growth, as Sofia experienced, and many other cities in Bulgaria. now we're left in some cases with ghost towns, cities that relied too much on certain commie industries, and now that everything is closed, people just leave... an example is Kazanlak that grew too much for its own good. but at least now Tourism is a nice alternative, especially since we have some awesome nature there, and major historical sites, and some villages around the city are getting flooded with foreigners and other professionals that have the money to afford it, such as Enina
Old March 13th, 2005, 08:02 PM   #72
braykov1988
Kameniza

Hey, maybe we should organise some commieblock tourism...
Old March 13th, 2005, 08:08 PM   #73
Endimion17

facades

yes, that's the main problem of old, quickly built buildings.
In mediterranean part of Croatia (called Dalmatia) lowrise buildings and residential skyscrapers were painted mostly in pure white hi-quality color. And it still holds! Amazing indeed. Towers look really nice in shiny adriatic sun.

But there are some excaptions, but not many (thanks God).
There is a city of Rijeka in northern Jadran (Adriatic Sea) and it has tallest residential skyscrapers in Croatia, very clean and slender, and the view is magnificent.
Tthere are 3 clusters:
1) towers with 29 floors + 30th floor for elevator; unique design
2) same as 1) but different design
3) 25 floors + 26th for elevator

There are 2 towers from 3rd cluster. One is very clean and pure white, the another is called "The death skyscraper". I wonder why...
It was built around 1974. It's 5cm thick facade is made of Syporex:
- an ecological material ensuring a healthy environment,
- a very light construction material, up to four times lighter than classical concrete,
- excellent thermal insulating properties,
- very weather- and time-resistant
- very simple to handle, is easily shaped, and is very easily built in,
- an excellent sound buffer,
- not inflammable, and is very fire resistant,
- easily combined with any other construction material of your choice

I should say that even if 4th item might be true for indoor use, it REALLY isn't resistant outside.
"Death's" facade was falling down in huge chunks. Last time I visited it, there were few peeled surfaces measuring approx. 8x14m
2 elevators in the tower, one was jammed on 24/25th and the door were broken so you could fall in the shaft.
The walls had cracks 2-3 spreading floors.
And the scariest thing that happened was one totally crushed car.
The tower had something called "manjerka", which is actually a 10cm thick concrete slab used for decoration. There were several rows on the facade spreading from 1st-26th floor and they' were held by 2 rather thick screwes. They weigh more than 1000kg (1t). As the years were passing, weather (sun, hot air, rain, snow, extreme wind) did major damage. And one day, one slab detached and fell down. On a car. Almost an 80-meter plunge of a >1t slab. It smashed the car completely. Fortunatelly, there were no casualties. So they fixed the lower slab (yeah right) with some elevator cable.
And one day again BAM! Lower slab fell down on street together with 25th floor balcony. No casualties. 24th floor slab was on a verge of detach.
So the officials ordered the removal of all slabs and major building repair.
I hope I'll get the chance to see it again some day. Last time I was entering the tower through the protective tunnel.
Old March 13th, 2005, 08:21 PM   #74
braykov1988
Kameniza

haunted? sounds really cool! the best thing is all sorts of funky shit has happened without anyone getting hurt. in nadezhda, a sofia suburb, there was a commie that cracked open, the foundations were of inferior quality concrete.
otherwise, I'm sure all jugoslavian commies look better than sofia's, and there are solid reasons for this.
btw, what genious would put a 1ton cocrete slab on a 25 storey tower just for decoration?
Old March 13th, 2005, 10:47 PM   #75
Endimion17

Re:

Actually, braykov, not just one slab.
~4 rows going from 1st to 26th floor. 1slab/floor
=~100 slabs.
Now imagine an earthquake.
cool, if no one gets killed of course.
Old March 13th, 2005, 10:53 PM   #76
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 17285

that road is not paved or what? btw if you juts painted them from brown to white it would be awesome.

Potpišite peticiju protiv rušenja Generalštaba!
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 12:15 AM   #78
3tmk
Rusty Robot

actually for the road I believe that is the place where they're digging the metro expansion, to the new Interpred station
Old March 14th, 2005, 02:39 PM   #79
braykov1988
Kameniza

nah, it's just the poor pavement quality, gloomy weather and the stuff they pour on streets so that they don't freeze (and of course, to delete all lines on the road)
these are the buildings of the traffic police as well as some "office" buildings, this is really not a main road. I hope to take some photos of the construction site soon.
the yellow factory buildings on the other photo are one of the plants of DM, the company that produces digital cams and mp3 players. there's also a visible part of the local kindergarden I used to go to
Old March 14th, 2005, 02:55 PM   #80
ahsm

Likes (Received): 16

^Mila, none of those links work
ahsm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
commieblock, commieblocks

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: