British Tower Blocks - Page 2 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > General European discussions > Projects and Construction > Commieblocks Fan Club

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 100 votes, 5.00 average.
Old November 11th, 2006, 08:04 PM   #21
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myster E View Post
man, some of these blocks need to be wiped off the face off the earth, what an absolute shamble of turds, epecially the stephensons tower and gala, looked like someone puked on that wall. some of the south london blocks look nice.
They dont need to be wiped off the face of the earth! They are gorgeous things! Oh my, what am I saying?! This all Smiley and Butterfield's fault! Damn them!
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2006, 09:19 PM   #22
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 9952

More London Tower Blocks!

Turnpike House

Grange Court

Charles Dickens House

Berkeley House And Grafton House

Grafton House

Old November 11th, 2006, 10:01 PM   #23
caw123
Hit the north!

Likes (Received): 3

Here's some Manc beauties

Beautiful!

"Manchester is located in the center of Lancashire plain in northwestern England like a big circle theatre."
caw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2006, 10:42 PM   #24
Veinticinco
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 64

Its unbelievable how there are still so many tower blocks in Manc and Brum, are they getting knocked down any time soon? Most tower blocks in Liverpool are gone now.
Veinticinco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2006, 10:55 PM   #25
The Longford
Cowboy of Love

Likes (Received): 19

May i suggest to the more academically minded among you and those who take this sort of thing seriously to search out a book called
Tower Block: Modern Public Housing in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland by Miles Glendinning.
It cost £80 when it came out and you will be lucky to find it for less than £100 nowadays but check your library for it.
It is a BIG book and the authors visited every single tower block in the country to research it.
It is very nerdy but essential reading for anyone who wants to understand british tower blocks.
I know Manchester Central Library has a copy (i'm the only one who seems to take it out!) and you cant read it in one sitting but well worth a look should you find it.
Old November 11th, 2006, 11:14 PM   #26
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiz View Post
Its unbelievable how there are still so many tower blocks in Manc and Brum, are they getting knocked down any time soon? Most tower blocks in Liverpool are gone now.
It may be hard to believe but we have probably demolished 75% of our tower blocks in Brum. Some of the pictures Butterfield has posted are in Dudley wihch is just outside of Birmingham.

West Midlands Tower Blocks Thread - the precursor to this baby.
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

Old November 12th, 2006, 01:34 AM   #27
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Longford View Post
May i suggest to the more academically minded among you and those who take this sort of thing seriously to search out a book called
Tower Block: Modern Public Housing in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland by Miles Glendinning.
It cost £80 when it came out and you will be lucky to find it for less than £100 nowadays but check your library for it.
It is a BIG book and the authors visited every single tower block in the country to research it.
It is very nerdy but essential reading for anyone who wants to understand british tower blocks.
I know Manchester Central Library has a copy (i'm the only one who seems to take it out!) and you cant read it in one sitting but well worth a look should you find it.
Sounds very interesting.Thanks.Does the book say why most of British tower blocks dont have balconies?
Old November 12th, 2006, 03:22 AM   #28
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 3174

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Longford View Post
Wow! This I have to find out about...
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 03:38 AM   #29
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myster E View Post
man, some of these blocks need to be wiped off the face off the earth, what an absolute shamble of turds, epecially the stephensons tower and gala, looked like someone puked on that wall. some of the south london blocks look nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
They dont need to be wiped off the face of the earth! They are gorgeous things! Oh my, what am I saying?! This all Smiley and Butterfield's fault! Damn them!
But Myster E may just be right in a way. I mean, would you want to live in some of the worst examples on this thread? I certainly wouldn't but that doesn't stop *some* of us enjoying the look of them on our towns and cities skylines, plus two or three of us find the sheer sight of a monsterously skanky decaying tower block rather... artistic and exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiz View Post
That's probably why I don't find Liverpool's suburban skyline all that interesting unlike the aforementioned Birmingham and Manchester, plus the likes of Glasgow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erebus555 View Post
It may be hard to believe but we have probably demolished 75% of our tower blocks in Brum.
75%?? Interesting percentage! Whered'ya get that info from - your own database that you've concluded yourself?? I know Sandwell have demolished a gazillion and unfortunately most before I started taking photos of blocks back in 1997!

btw great photos again guys! Nice to see some other blocks out of my area. I'll post some more soon.
Old November 12th, 2006, 06:01 AM   #30
NothingBetterToDo
Better To Do Nothing

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Greco View Post
Sounds very interesting.Thanks.Does the book say why most of British tower blocks dont have balconies?
err..The Weather
Old November 12th, 2006, 02:26 PM   #31
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfield View Post
75%?? Interesting percentage! Whered'ya get that info from - your own database that you've concluded yourself?? I know Sandwell have demolished a gazillion and unfortunately most before I started taking photos of blocks back in 1997!
It sounds strange but there are scores of tower blocks which have been demolished which we didnt even know existed in the first place and didnt even know were built.

By the way, there are some very interesting ones Yardley way. They look more art deco than anything. But they might still be having a refurb - beware!

Old November 12th, 2006, 02:36 PM   #32
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfield View Post
But Myster E may just be right in a way. I mean, would you want to live in some of the worst examples on this thread? I certainly wouldn't but that doesn't stop *some* of us enjoying the look of them on our towns and cities skylines, plus two or three of us find the sheer sight of a monsterously skanky decaying tower block rather... artistic and exciting!
I like tower blocks because they look impressive and I admire architects who built them and who thought they could make world/quality of life better through their buildings.
Many people blame Modernist architects for their buildings' problems for destroying communities and even for putting peoples lives at risk (http://www.open2.net/modernity/3_13_frame.htm).
I dont.I blame greedy councils (^link).I mean architects job is to design building and build it.
I think we shouldnt demolish tower blocks (this country loves knocking stuff down).Its easy to destroy.Lets think instead how to improve them!Install basic security measures - CCTV concierge and hey life in a tower block is good.Just look at the Trellick Tower!
Other people say tower blocks must go because they are ugly.But then I must ask - are medieval castles beautiful (Just look at the Tower of London or Dover Castle)?No.Impressive?Hell yes.Same goes for tower blocks - they are impressive but not beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingBetterToDo View Post
err..The Weather
Ive been to E Europe and their winters are much much colder but still their tower blocks have balconies
Old November 12th, 2006, 04:31 PM   #33
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

More!

Great Arthur House

Glenkerry House

Gambier House

Bassett House

Old November 12th, 2006, 05:21 PM   #34
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Gambier House is average but the others are excellent. I love them, Great Arthur is very unusual. Its very chavvy with the baseball cap.

Old November 12th, 2006, 06:04 PM   #35
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

I like the look of Gambier House - it's so ugly - just look at those literally slabs pieced together on the side!

Great Arthur House and Bassett House look very Eastern European.
Old November 12th, 2006, 09:22 PM   #36
paulmat
BAND

Likes (Received): 230

Sheffield seems to have avoided/demolished many tower blocks. Instead we got Park Hill, which personally I love.

Many of these buildings were seen as a way of life, and quite groundbreaking at the time (Park Hill probably being the best example of this).

Anyway. Here's some Photo's:

Claywood Flats (these have now been demolished):

Norfolk Park (demolished):

Lansdowne

Hanover (hate these and wish they'd knock them down):

Adamfield (These have had a pretty decent reclad):

Jordanthorpe

Stannington (I think these ones are meant to be quite desireable):

And finally, the Mother of all council blocks - Park Hill:

Centre tower (now demolished)
paulmat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #37
paulmat
BAND

Likes (Received): 230

I agree with El Greco. With a bit of added security, such as CCTV and maybe a reception with 24hr Security guards, these council flats could be much nicer places for people to live.
paulmat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 09:44 PM   #38
echo
commieblock enthusiast

Likes (Received): 34

Thank you very much El_Greco, Butterfield, Chasedwar! I enjoyed all of these buildings! I think the same way El_Greco explained and I have asserted it in my forums, too. Butterfield, I'll join the club you mention in your signature :-)

I was impressed that such beauties exist in England! Three dark blue towerblocks were very nice, very nice. Well, Hong Kong hits every other city on earth, even regarding towerblocks (thay build 40 and 60 floor towerblocks just for living...). I was astonished, when I saw a Hong Kong thread done by Taipei Walker, he specialized on towerblocks.

But in other cities, I really enjoy the look of the towerblocks. Thay are in my heart, although there aren't much of them here in Tallinn. There are just some people who really like them and picture them. That's sad...

You may look at my Tallinn and other "...mäe"-threads about how commieblocks are made colourful and betterlooking in Tallinn and Tartu, Estonia.

Last edited by echo; November 12th, 2006 at 09:52 PM.
echo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2006, 09:52 PM   #39
The Longford
Cowboy of Love

Likes (Received): 19

The True Godfather Of Them All!
All Hail Park Hill!

Old November 12th, 2006, 11:33 PM   #40
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Thank you very much El_Greco, Butterfield, Chasedwar! I enjoyed all of these buildings! I think the same way El_Greco explained and I have asserted it in my forums, too. Butterfield, I'll join the club you mention in your signature :-)
Welcome to this thread echo - glad you like our photos. I guessed there were more than two of us here who like tower blocks/commieblocks but sometimes it feels quite lonely on these forums when it seems no one else likes them!

Quote:
I was impressed that such beauties exist in England!
Cities in England and the rest of Britain have done their best to get rid of a lot of tower blocks but there's still a lot that remain and have been refurbished! I think some countries in the rest of Europe have dealt better with them like Germany and more remain there, and it seems in Estonia they care for them that bit better than they do here.

Great photos on your threads echo! Some nice new examples around Tallinn. I also like the TV mast and the beaches look nice too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
commieblocks, tower blocks

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: