British Tower Blocks - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > General European discussions > Projects and Construction > Commieblocks Fan Club

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 100 votes, 5.00 average.
Old November 14th, 2006, 10:45 AM   #61
The Longford
Cowboy of Love

Likes (Received): 19

Glasgow Blocks

You can picture the scene:
Basil Spence, one the countries finest ever architects, is on his death bed and reflecting on his life.
His friends are recalling all his achievements
"Coventry Cathedral - perhaps the finest post war building in Britain Basil - and Grade 1 listed - a beautiful building indeed"
"The University of Sussex also Grade 1 - a magnificent achievement Basil you must agree?"
Wearily Sir Basil has to agree that he has achieved much in his life.
But then from the back of the room a quiet voice pipes up:
"But what about Hutchesontown C Flats in the Gorbals.....?
"Oh **** off" Basil replies and goes to meet his maker!

Where they really that bad?

Btw - all you Glasgow Tower lovers have got to go to this site and check out the fantastic utopia films from the 50s and 60s.
http://www.bestlaidschemes.com/
Brilliant!
Advertisement

Old November 14th, 2006, 01:24 PM   #62
caw123
Hit the north!

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfield View Post

Excellent! You don't have any photos of the row of blocks in Rochdale do you??
not taken by me

"Manchester is located in the center of Lancashire plain in northwestern England like a big circle theatre."
caw123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 04:22 PM   #63
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Likes (Received): 9943

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Longford View Post
Bigger

Advertisement

Old November 15th, 2006, 04:36 AM   #64
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Life In The Elephant 1948-2005
Interesting site about Elephant & Castle area in London.

http://streaming.into.org.uk/LITE/access/index.html
Old November 15th, 2006, 10:29 PM   #65
echo
commieblock enthusiast

Likes (Received): 34

Thank you, caw123, The Boy David and El_Greco for new pictures! When I look at them then I compare English tower blocks with former Soviet Union's ones. It looks like in England the tower blocks were not that usual. If thay exist, then thay are usually alone or in little groups. Thay are built carefully, like "perhaps people don't like that so we don't make them more". But here (Estonia, former part of Soviet Union) there are whole parts of cities full of blockbuildings ("commieblocks") 5- and 9-storey and nothing else; and towerblocks (14-, 16- and 17-storey) among them just make the whole picture better and more changing, a "blockscape", so it's not so dull-looking. I live in one of such areas and what a pleasure is that! Anyway, now I know that Glasgow is a place in your island where I have the biggest chance to find nice towerblocks, if I ever should be there.

Last edited by echo; November 15th, 2006 at 10:41 PM.
echo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 01:52 AM   #66
asdfg

Likes (Received): 515

David, you missed Bluevale and Whitevale...

28 floors of Glaswegian brutalism at its most brutal (and about 50 yards from where I live)...

Bluevale:

Whitevale

Both:
asdfg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 01:53 AM   #67
asdfg

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
Thank you, caw123, The Boy David and El_Greco for new pictures! When I look at them then I compare English tower blocks with former Soviet Union's ones. It looks like in England the tower blocks were not that usual. If thay exist, then thay are usually alone or in little groups. Thay are built carefully, like "perhaps people don't like that so we don't make them more". But here (Estonia, former part of Soviet Union) there are whole parts of cities full of blockbuildings ("commieblocks") 5- and 9-storey and nothing else; and towerblocks (14-, 16- and 17-storey) among them just make the whole picture better and more changing, a "blockscape", so it's not so dull-looking. I live in one of such areas and what a pleasure is that! Anyway, now I know that Glasgow is a place in your island where I have the biggest chance to find nice towerblocks, if I ever should be there.
Glasgow is not in England.
Old November 16th, 2006, 02:43 AM   #68
The Boy David

Likes (Received): 952

Missed Bluevale and Whitevale? I think not asdfg - check my first post again

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy David View Post
These two were Europes tallest residential towers for quite a long time, at 300ft each... Glasgow's own Twin Towers...

Great pics of the towers btw - those first two are absolute belters!
The Boy David no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 02:44 AM   #69
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 3174

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfg View Post
Glasgow is not in England.
Try explaining to echo where Glasgow is then - he probably now thinks it's in Wales...

Great pictures btw!
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 10:46 AM   #70
Smileyface
BAND AID

Likes (Received): 274

Wow! What a fantastic thread, well done El Greco and everyone else who's contributed. I've been working away for nearly a week and I knew this thread would be in existance when I got back but I never thought it would prove so popular - time to change your sig I think Butterfield

All of the Glasgow photos are amazing and some of El Greco's photos on the first page deserve an award, they really capture the mood and atmosphere of hi rise London. I'm going to have to visit Glasgow before any plans for demolition take place - just proves how warped my mind is when I want to visit one of the most architectually beautiful cities in the UK just to admire it's tower blocks!

I've been to Park Hill in Sheffield, which were very impressive, but the one that made me was on the way up to Hillsborough. I think it was demolished a good 10 years ago but at the time I think it was the largest residential block in the UK? It was huge, about 15+ stories high and built in a zig zag pattern for quite a while without a break - anyone know which one I'm talking about?
Old November 16th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #71
di Livio

Likes (Received): 1496

Not a tower block per se, but another utopian housing scheme: Quarry Hill flats, Leeds (built in the 1930s, demolished in the 1970s) Photos were taken during the demolition.

di Livio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 05:56 PM   #72
Erebus555
It's Sting. So What?

Likes (Received): 267

Wow, they really looked interesting. I dont know whether I class them as ugly or gorgeous. The little details look great...
The UK Housing Wiki - Attempting to document every tower block, council estate, private estate, housing association, tower block construction/ demolition method, tower block architect, tower block construction company... etc etc, in the UK. Everything to do with postwar residences! - Please join and help!

EREBUS - OFFICIAL MOD CANDIDATE 2011 - BRITISH MODS FOR BRITISH PEOPLE!
Erebus555 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 06:19 PM   #73
Butterfield
lime-hating shrublet

Likes (Received): 3174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileyface View Post
Wow! What a fantastic thread, well done El Greco and everyone else who's contributed. I've been working away for nearly a week and I knew this thread would be in existance when I got back but I never thought it would prove so popular - time to change your sig I think Butterfield
Well, believe it or not I always guessed there must be more than two of us but I think I'll keep it just to prove a point methinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileyface
I've been to Park Hill in Sheffield, which were very impressive, but the one that made me was on the way up to Hillsborough. I think it was demolished a good 10 years ago but at the time I think it was the largest residential block in the UK? It was huge, about 15+ stories high and built in a zig zag pattern for quite a while without a break - anyone know which one I'm talking about?
The only other similar block(s) in Sheffield that I know of were the Kelvin flats. Not sure where they were in Sheffield but on old photos they can be seen from Park Hill and look identical. Don't know if those are the ones you are referring to. Where are the Sheffield forumers when we need them??

A great find there di Livio - I'm guessing that you didn't take those! It's great seeing urban decay back in the 70s.
Butterfield no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 06:40 PM   #74
The Longford
Cowboy of Love

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:

Its those in the middle distance.
The area is called Walkey but not sure of the name of the flats -i'll have to look it up.

[IMG][/IMG]

di livio - can you please tell me where them photos are from. Ive got to get hold of that book!

Old November 16th, 2006, 06:43 PM   #75
asdfg

Quote:
Missed Bluevale and Whitevale? I think not asdfg - check my first post again
Oops sorry!

Quote:
Great pics of the towers btw - those first two are absolute belters!
Can't take the credit for those unfortunately.
Old November 16th, 2006, 07:41 PM   #76
Smileyface
BAND AID

Di Livio - Those photos are awesome, thanks for those.

The Longford - Yes that's the brutal bugger! Now that is the mother of all blocks if only we could find some decent images of it....and a name too!
Old November 16th, 2006, 07:48 PM   #77
Smileyface
BAND AID

Kelvin flats they were called Here are few images I dug up after a quick Google around

That last photo was taken from this thread, some excellent photos on there relevant to this thread
https://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=314150
Old November 16th, 2006, 07:52 PM   #78
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Quote:
Kelvin flats they were called Here are few images I dug up after a quick Google around

Looks like Park Hill.
Old November 16th, 2006, 07:55 PM   #79
Smileyface
BAND AID

They're not quite as tall as I thought but they're still bloody impressive in an extremely brutal kind of way.

Plenty more photos here

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...elvin%20flats/
Old November 16th, 2006, 07:57 PM   #80
El_Greco
Épater la Bourgeoisie

Wow wow wow very very impressive
Advertisement

Tags
commieblocks, tower blocks

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: