Some of sweden's commiblocks - Page 4 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > General European discussions > Projects and Construction > Commieblocks Fan Club

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average.
Old August 15th, 2009, 10:42 PM   #61
disciple9
The last disciple

I would say after breakdown of communism the former GDR got too fast a part of the Federal Republic of West-Germany (esspecially the pensions were adapted from the west, that caused a high jobless rate in the east) . Many here lost their relation to what has happened in the history. Thats strictly a purely other path east-europe countries have taken and that by now leads to this ultimativley arrogant behaviour of fromer communist achievments (and the drawback to some kind of nazi immitation).

Just take for example the education or upcoming of children or the loose friendship to former brother countries just like Poland or the architecture. Maybe I am looking at it too complex but rather in the end it all gives a whole picture of a demolition of the past and so on a demolition of commieblocks as a representative of communist architecture. All the ppl who were happy to receive a flat in the 70s/80s moved out of the block in the 90s as fast as they could and antisocial (retarted in mind) or old ppl stayed. Call'em ghettos but a nice and quiet commie district in germany is rather seldom.

Talking of immigrants is a problem in the west of germany, so thats not my world and I can't really tell you anything of it. In the east you got a big problem with those so-called russian-germans. they claim to be german because some german soldier 300 years ago felt in love with their great-great grandmother.....whutevr. They are bringing the tundra and all the their russian mafia connection to germany. and german politicians ain't got nothing better to do to pack them all in the commieblocks were they dwelling side by side and ain't ready to adopt or to respect german law. don't get me wrong! I am as well a half Slovak so not 100% german, but I know what it means to live as a foreigner in germany and to learn the german language as first permission to enter german society. So I don't generalize them russian-germans!

I am really thinking of living for some time in Poland or Czech Republic or Slovakia.....future will tell.
disciple9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #62
Iluminat
Redsigert User

Likes (Received): 5170

Thats what I thought but what about this big renovation projects we here so much about
they failed to attract more wealthy people
Iluminat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 01:41 AM   #63
dj4life

Likes (Received): 49445

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-J N. View Post
Retroglobe is a site featuring boring postcards, not surprisingly most of them are from Sweden. Here are some postcards from the 50ies and 60ies:

Gothenburg

Jönköping

Karlskoga

Skärholmen

Handen

Skellefteå

Uddevalla

Fagersta

Eskilstuna

Flen

Tranås

Värnamo

Västerås

Ludvika

Last edited by dj4life; June 28th, 2010 at 02:22 AM.
dj4life no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 29th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #64
AndersF

Likes (Received): 102

Feeling like bumping this thread; here's some from Sundsvall, my old hometown:
image hosted on flickr

Ågatan by Andersannipal, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Skatteverket by Andersannipal, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Betselvägen, Bergsåker by Andersannipal, on Flickr
Got a recladding in the late 90s (or was it early 00s?)

image hosted on flickr

Nacksta centrum, ett tråkigt ställe by Andersannipal, on Flickr
Got a postmodern recladding in 1994

image hosted on flickr

Västra vägen by Andersannipal, on Flickr
Sorry for the bad quality. Photo's taken with a cell phone camera 5 years ago.

disciple9 liked this post

Last edited by AndersF; August 5th, 2013 at 03:50 PM.
AndersF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013, 08:23 PM   #65
AndersF

One from Norrköping:
image hosted on flickr

Skivhus by Andersannipal, on Flickr

disciple9, Skopje/Скопје liked this post
Old July 30th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #66
SimsPlanet2

Likes (Received): 315

These yellow buildings in Sundsvall aren't that ugly in my opinion. I don't see why these are hated? I walked along there almost everyday during my stay in Sundsvall. At least they have a color facade and look quite clean, compared to many grey commie blocks.

The yellow one behind ICA in Nacksta is quite nice. Doesn't look bad at all. The room I had is visible in this picture, behind the ICA logo on the left side: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7447/9...a13e4489_b.jpg
SimsPlanet2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 03:41 PM   #67
AndersF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimsPlanet2 View Post
The yellow one behind ICA in Nacksta is quite nice. Doesn't look bad at all. The room I had is visible in this picture, behind the ICA logo on the left side: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7447/9...a13e4489_b.jpg
Nacksta Centrum was originally built in 1970 as a blue 10 fl building, I would love to see pictures of that, as well as of the pink blocks in Bergsåker, when they were yellow.
Old August 5th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #68
AndersF

Solna
image hosted on flickr

Utsikt mot Karlbergs strand och Sofiehem by Andersannipal, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Utsikt mot Hagalund by Andersannipal, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Utsikt mot Brommavägen by Andersannipal, on Flickr

Skopje/Скопје, disciple9 liked this post
Old August 10th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #69
AndersF

Helenelund, Sollentuna

image hosted on flickr

Helenelunds centrum by Andersannipal, on Flickr

Old August 10th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #70
AndersF

Vigelsjö, Norrtälje. Small commieblocks for a small Town.

image hosted on flickr

Vigelsjövägen by Andersannipal, on Flickr

Skopje/Скопје, disciple9 liked this post
Old August 19th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #71
AndersF

Timrå:
image hosted on flickr

Vivsta by Andersannipal, on Flickr

Skopje/Скопје liked this post
Old September 5th, 2013, 10:37 PM   #72
AndersF

Stockholm:

image hosted on flickr

Kärrtorps centrum by Andersannipal, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Utsikt söderut från Reimersholme by Andersannipal, on Flickr
Old September 20th, 2013, 05:44 PM   #73
licenseplateman

Likes (Received): 1290

Växjö

image hosted on flickr

Växjö 030 by licenseplateman, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Växjö 031 by licenseplateman, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Växjö 032 by licenseplateman, on Flickr

disciple9, Skopje/Скопје liked this post
licenseplateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 09:40 PM   #74
Skopje/Скопје
Macedonia/Македонија

Likes (Received): 71218

Växjö commieblocks are very interesting
Skopje/Скопје no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #75
ahsm

Likes (Received): 16

I love Sweden!

dj4life liked this post
ahsm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2013, 04:42 PM   #76
arxeos

Likes (Received): 311

I'm a proud commieblocker too now. I moved from Aspudden to Nybohovsbacken

just a little comparison

Lived on this street just a little further up 7 months ago for my whole life.
image hosted on flickr

Now I'm here, really close to my old place and it's actually not bad at all. The only bad thing with commies in my opinion are the thin walls and you can hear your neighbours.
image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicknero/8350760759/

disciple9, echo liked this post

Last edited by arxeos; December 17th, 2013 at 05:31 PM.
arxeos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2013, 02:24 AM   #77
Iluminat
Redsigert User

Likes (Received): 5170

Good decision :bravo: As for the walls it's quite complicated from my experience. In the saturday morning you can hear even normal conversations at times but normally it have to be something really loud to get through. Some rooms are a exception though, it's much easier to hear other people while in kitchen or bathroom - probably because of the verdical ventilation system. It also depends from the technology, I would assume that older commies tend to be more noisy on average than the ones built in '70 or '80.

Iluminat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2014, 06:03 AM   #78
MiaM

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by regretful Londoner View Post
Yes these buildings are known as British council estates where no-one wants to live and only a very small percentage of the population does. Thankfully these buildings are not found on mass everywhere. What you don't seem to understand is that such buildings are not standard housing in the UK, however in Sweden it is rare to find someone who isn't living in a commieblock. The country is blighted with them. In the uk it is the poor who have to live in these things. Thankfully they are not in practically every street in vast quantities and are not the only type of building in said street, unlike in Sweden and as such one can avoid looking at them on a daily basis.
On the other hand, what people from the UK don't seem to understand is that everyone else is laughing at your plumbing. Even the houses ready for demolision linked in this thread had better plumbing than what seems to be common in the UK. In swedish commie blocks mixer taps (that actually mix hot and cold water, not just pour out the water in something that looks like a mixed stream but actually will trigger both your receptors for cold and heat...) are the lowest standard ever used. When using both the "fill the bathtub" thing (whatever it's called) and the shower at the same time, the temperature is acutally the same in both water streams. It's always possible to switch off the shower or the "fill the bathtub" thing independently. Cold is always to the right and hot water always to the left. In every building where more than one family lives you never have warm water hotter than about 65 degrees (celcius) or so, so you don't risk burning yourself (or your children) from hot water.

From my experiences when I've visited UK theese things isn't something you can count on. Taps with hot/cold reversed, sinks that don't have mixer taps, bathtubs where water is pouring out of the "fill the bathtub" thing even when you only want water from the shower and with different temperatures, bathtubs missing the plug so you can't take a bath seems to be common. Every time it's an interesting experience when you check out from a hotel and the staff asks you how the visit was and you tell them that it was good by UK standards but the plumbing is far worse than in swedish apartments where unfortunate people live on welfare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by regretful Londoner View Post
Having said that, I appreciate that people who have lived all their lives with the existence of these blocks in their vast numbers do not find grey slabs of concrete a depressing sight and might even enjoy the fact the entire country resembles what to me appears to be one massive council estate. No-one is saying that Sweden is the only place where these things exist, the point is that people expect to see this buildings in these numbers in old Eastern Europe but not in Sweden, after all Sweden is utopia isn't it?
Well, those apartments were utopia when they were buildt. There were massive housing shortages in most places and the existing apartments were in many cases crap with features like you had to burn coal to heat the apartment, go outsite to a common toilet, heat water on the stove if you didn't like to wash yourself in cold water e.t.c....
In just 10 years homes for one million people were buildt. It started with theese commie blocks, and ended with detached and semi-detached houses. By some strange reason noone seems to complain about that thouse smaller houses all look the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmiG View Post
Abandoned commieblocks as a result of closed down mining activity in rural Sweden (new pitctures)
[url]http://www.jornmark.se/places_intro.aspx?placeid=167&lang=eng[/url
If you remove &lang=eng from the URL you get a swedish descripton that explains that theese pictures were taken in Grängesberg. Grängesberg faced a had population decline after the ore mining business closed down around 1990. A similar thing happened in Laxå (which is the other place with "commie block ready to demolish"-pictures on that site) with people decline due to manufacturing business closing down or downsizing. No commie blocks in Sweden has been demolished in any place that don't have (had) a population decline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmiG View Post
What's funny is that some of the kitchens in those apartments looks exactly identical to the kitchen of my apartment in prosperous Uppsala (allthough my cupboard doors etc. are newer/more modern, the actual layout is identical).
The reason is simpe - the design of the kitchens and the layout of the apartments in general were scientifically developed. There were actually real life experiments made with different "test kitchens" where one person did cook/bake the things that were common at the time and another person taking notes of how many steps the first person had to walk in different versions of the test kitchens, and the compromise that gave the most efficient cooking/baking were choosen as the standard kitchen.

And believe me, having lived in and visited quite a few places where the kitchen weren't designed to theese standards I really apreciate the standards. Of course it's nice to have a kitchen with some kind of personality, but in most cases thees personalities make the kitchen harder to use.

Of course some things of this standardisations were bad, for example the silly luxury tax you had to pay if your refrigerator of freezer were of any other colour than white. (Actually kitchen appliances in Sweden indirectly got their name from this silly tax. Kitchen appliances (and washing machines and dryers) are called "vitvaror", i.e. "white goods")...

The problems that exist in some commie block areas are due to different reasons, few of them related to the commie blocks themself.

One thing that's actually bad with the commie blocks is that it's a bad idea to have those large houses free standing. Somehow it's socially better to build houses around the edges of each block and build them so they are attached to each other. Noone really knew that at the time most commie blocks were buildt in Sweden.

One thing that doesn't have anything to do with the buildings/architecture itself is segregation. IMHO the problem isn't in the so called "problem areas" but in upper/middle class dominated areas where under/working class cannot live...

MiaM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 09:31 PM   #79
AndersF

Nacksta, Sundsvall:

image hosted on flickr

Nacksta6 by Andersannipal, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Nacksta5 by Andersannipal, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Nacksta4 by Andersannipal, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Nacksta3 by Andersannipal, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Nacksta2 by Andersannipal, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

Nacksta1 by Andersannipal, on Flickr

disciple9, echo liked this post
Old January 8th, 2014, 11:01 PM   #80
echo
commieblock enthusiast

Likes (Received): 34

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-J N. View Post
Retroglobe is a site featuring boring postcards, not surprisingly most of them are from Sweden. Here are some postcards from the 50ies and 60ies:
These are amazing! I've recently set up a small page with old postcards of Tallinn, hence especially interesting to me.

In general, after watching Swedish blocks again, I feel that I didn't quite expect such massive blocks and block areas from Sweden. It is interesting.

I am a rare traveller (I prefer hosting guests via CouchSurfing which is like reverse travelling for me ) but if I really travel to somewhere outside of Estonia, there has to be a good reason, a purpose. I've never been to Finland and I visited Sweden only first time in last summer in Skavsta because of a flight from there in the next morning. I took a video from plane when it was landing to Skavsta and I was surprised because I saw some very nice blocks in the nearby town called Nyköping.

Such curvy and massive! When I saw that, I thought: wow, it's a good reason to take a trip to Sweden! (The other reason is the convent or something in Vadstena because St. Bridget (Birgitta) came from there originally and built another one behind the border of Tallinn (Reval) at the beginning of the 15th century; later the whole area got its name from her name, Pirita, after some serious estonianisation though )

Now, after seeing all the blocks again in this thread, I see that there really is a good reason to visit Sweden. To visit a block area in a country that is not of Eastern Europe, that itself is interesting. I just have to know where to go but it almost looks now that any city is good.

In general, Swedish blocks remind me some examples in Riga.
echo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: