Commie Blocks overall types - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > General European discussions > Projects and Construction > Commieblocks Fan Club

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old April 8th, 2008, 09:27 PM   #1
Time69

Likes (Received): 1

Commie Blocks overall types

Hello everybody, I'm opening this thread to have a look and discussions on the overall "types" of commie blocks existing (or appartment buildings in general), types meaning here how the flat are arranged and accessed in the building.

Seems to me that the most common are :

This is a quick "power point" and far from complete (for instance there isn't the stacked traversing duplexes with interior corridor every three floor type of Le Corbusier), will try to complete it further, what key types do you see missing ?

So here the types are :

"classic" multi entry commie block : This is an extansion of traditional city buildings with two or more flats per entry/floor, what qualifies the type is that most (or at least two per entry/floor) flats are "traversing flats" ie light from two opposite sides.

Interior corridor commie block : A big interior corridor at each floor, flats on two sides, one or a few entries. So here what qualifies the type is the internal corridor and the fact most flats have a single exterior/light side

Exterior corridor commie block : An exterior "corridor" (what is the exact name in English ? "coursive" in French) runs along one side of the building, so most flats have two natural lighted sides, one being on this exterior corridor.

Plain tower type commie block A big elevator/staircases shaft, and flats around the elevators, accessed by an interior corridor.

Which types would you say are more common in your area/country, which are considered good/bad ? for what reasons, etc

Last edited by Time69; April 9th, 2008 at 12:54 PM.
Time69 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 10th, 2008, 05:03 PM   #2
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Likes (Received): 6

The most common commietypes in Norway is the plain tower type and the Multy entry type. However, in post 1985 buildings the exterior corridor type is quite common.

Last edited by Norsko; April 19th, 2008 at 03:57 PM.
Norsko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #3
Singidunum
Grad Oblakodera

Likes (Received): 17275

The same goes for Serbia (plain tower type and the multi entry type). Plain tower type can often be a lowrise as well or a mix of plain tower type and multi entry type where there are several plain tower types connected into one lengthy building.

Inside corridor with one entrance is something you'd see in Soviet influenced areas.

Exterior and interior corridor types remind of hotels.

PotpiÜite peticiju protiv ruÜenja GeneralÜtaba!

geometarkv liked this post
Singidunum no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 11th, 2008, 11:55 AM   #4
Time69

For France I don't have that much experience to provide overall percetage and time line, but it seems to me that multy entry and plain towers are also the most common, and there are quite a few "interior corridor" ones also I think. A few exterior corridor ones but really not many (but a huge one next to my office).

By the way I think interior corridor ones should be forbidden ! And plain tower ones also maybe ...

Last edited by Time69; April 11th, 2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old April 11th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #5
Time69

In France most of them are also "classic multi entry" and plain towers type, although there are quite a few "inside corridors" ones, not sure how many compared to "classic multi entry".

And very few "external corridor slabs", but a huge one next to my office.

Another type, the Le Corbusier "citÚ radieuse" type :

All flats are traversing duplexes, and one central corridor every three floor.

Does anybody knows if it has been used apart from the few citÚs radieuses done by Le Corbusier ?

Last edited by Time69; April 11th, 2008 at 03:14 PM.
Old April 11th, 2008, 03:49 PM   #6
Time69

Another type, the "O Shape tower" type :

Mostly present in Hong Kong I think, see for instance message 15 below :

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=596296

Low rise high diameter versions of this type also exist in England I think, also in Holland a big one with the open center trensparently covered as a big atrium

Last edited by Time69; April 11th, 2008 at 04:01 PM.
Old April 12th, 2008, 03:56 AM   #7
JimmiG

Likes (Received): 0

My block is similar to two "plain towers" side by side in the same building. The building has two elevators, and ten apartments per floor (but only five accesible from each elevator).

So, even if you live wall-to-wall with your neighrbour, if you want to knock on his apartment door, you have to take the elevator all the way down, then walk outside the building to the other entrance, and then take that elevator back up to the same floor again

This type of wall-like building with two or four elevators per building and no access to the other staircases or elevators from within the building seems to be very common in Sweden.

Last edited by JimmiG; April 12th, 2008 at 04:06 AM.
JimmiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2008, 09:36 PM   #8
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1158

I'd say the most common ones here are the "Corridor slab" and the "classic multi-entry slab".
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 02:54 AM   #9
Time69

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawLee View Post
I'd say the most common ones here are the "Corridor slab" and the "classic multi-entry slab".
And are they still building "corridor slabs" these days ? Or are they the older ones ?
Old April 18th, 2008, 04:12 PM   #10
Norsko
Urban Citizen

[/quote=Time69;1956437]Another type, the Le Corbusier "citÚ radieuse" type :

All flats are traversing duplexes, and one central corridor every three floor.

Does anybody knows if it has been used apart from the few citÚs radieuses done by Le Corbusier ?[/quote]

We have something quite similar,in the Commie area B°ler in Oslo.
http://www2.arkitektur.no/boligdatab...r=0&boligid=21

Last edited by Norsko; April 18th, 2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old April 19th, 2008, 11:30 AM   #11
Time69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsko View Post

We have something quite similar,in the Commie area B°ler in Oslo.
http://www2.arkitektur.no/boligdatab...r=0&boligid=21

Thanks for the link, from what I understand from the plans, it is an "exterior corridor every two floor slab", with the flats not on an exterior corridor floor accessed by staircase ? Or are all flats duplexes ?
Old April 19th, 2008, 12:25 PM   #12
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Every third floor got an indoor corridor. In the corridor every third apartment is situated only in the corriodor floor (quit small one bedroom apartments), then the two apartments inbetween got an entrance area/hall on the corridor floor and a staircase up one or down one floor to the rest of the apartment (livingroom, kitchen bathroom and two bedrooms).
Old April 21st, 2008, 12:20 PM   #13
Time69

Quote:
Every third floor got an indoor corridor. In the corridor every third apartment is situated only in the corriodor floor (quit small one bedroom apartments), then the two apartments inbetween got an entrance area/hall on the corridor floor and a staircase up one or down one floor to the rest of the apartment (livingroom, kitchen bathroom and two bedrooms).
Ok I see, great type !! So it is like that ? :

Lets call it "B°lerskogen type" , I would characterise it by "one exterior corridor every three floor, two over three traversing flats"

(indeed even if the corridor is not outside it is on an exterior wall so naturally lighted)

Really like this type, it combines "not too many elevators shafts", "traversing flats", and no "big dark inside corridor" like the "Le corbusier citÚ radieuse type".

One thing, looking at the floor plan for "Plan under korridor" for flats 2 and 3, apart from the entrance on the corridor floor, you then enter the flats through the main bedroom ?

About the site, looks great but I have problems navigating it in english, is there a page with a list of buildings/floor plans ? What is the easy way to access them ?

Last edited by Time69; April 21st, 2008 at 05:02 PM.
Old April 21st, 2008, 06:53 PM   #14
Time69

We could perhaps add a "Nemausus type" from the Nouvel's buildings in Nţmes, although it can in fact be considered as a "full duplexes" variation of the exterior corridor type.

Nice buildings :

Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:55 AM   #15
Time69

Quote:
The most common commietypes in Norway is the plain tower type and the Multy entry type. However, in post 1985 buildings the exterior corridor type is quite common.
By the way Norsko, any special event or person related to this 1985 change ?

Last edited by Time69; April 22nd, 2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 06:05 PM   #16
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time69 View Post
Ok I see, great type !! So it is like that ? :

Lets call it "B°lerskogen type" ,

Lets do that cause this is the only place i ve seen anything like this. Your drawings seems absolutly correct.

One thing, looking at the floor plan for "Plan under korridor" for flats 2 and 3, apart from the entrance on the corridor floor, you then enter the flats through the main bedroom ?

No, the staircase ends in "stue", wich is Norwegian for Livingroom. I can see the black line is a bit too thick to show that correctly. The door you see in the main bedroom is leading to a storage area/wardrobe under the stair. In the appartment most to the right though, it is also an extra storage room (wall in wall to the main staircase) as well as an extra bedroom with entrance from the Livingroom. This is special for the appartements most to the right in every floor like this. (Phu ) (Also I see these appartements gon an extra stoageroom upstairs/downstairs in addition to the entrance area).

About the site, looks great but I have problems navigating it in english, is there a page with a list of buildings/floor plans ? What is the easy way to access them ?
The most easy way, I guess, would be to press "Search", then "All projects" and check out the "Drawings" parts of each hit.

Last edited by Norsko; April 22nd, 2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 06:12 PM   #17
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time69 View Post
By the way Norsko, any special event or person related to this 1985 change ?
I have no answer to this except ,I guess, this is an effective way of giving each appartement two way lightening. Also it matches the modern way of Norwegian appartements with the kitchen inside the livingroom. Again I do not
know any reassons for this and it is for me like the question of what was first, the egg or the chicken...
Old April 22nd, 2008, 06:21 PM   #18
Norsko
Urban Citizen

Here is an outdoor photo of one of the buildings. Notice the bedroom windows of the one-bedroom appartments on every third floor.

http://www.porttelefonsystemer.no/fi.../blerlia10.jpg
Old April 29th, 2008, 12:00 PM   #19
Time69

Quote:
No, the staircase ends in "stue", wich is Norwegian for Livingroom. I can see the black line is a bit too thick to show that correctly. The door you see in the main bedroom is leading to a storage area/wardrobe under the stair. In the appartment most to the right though, it is also an extra storage room (wall in wall to the main staircase) as well as an extra bedroom with entrance from the Livingroom.
Ok, and thanks for the pic, so it is like below then ? :

About the exterior access corridor type, apart from light from two sides for the flats, another great advantage of it is that it allows to provide all flats with a good orientation, especially compared to inside corridor ones.

Last edited by Time69; April 29th, 2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old April 29th, 2008, 12:55 PM   #20
Time69

Three (or two) new types added :

to cover HK new styles of buildings like :

or :

taken from :

http://www.hingenet.com/hingeweb/sho...ic-housing.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement