Shopping Centres - Page 107 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Local Projects & Discussions > Queensland > Everything else

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 10th, 2020, 08:30 AM   #2121
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Likes (Received): 8405

Little tidbit on Stage 2 of Westfield Coomera, which would see the mall as well as expand outward also go to 2 storeys in height (see pic top right).

It's designed for up to 3 storeys of retail/office.

verbatim9 liked this post
Locke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2020, 10:32 AM   #2122
jonwil

Likes (Received): 1451

Is that just plans for some point in the future or do they actually plan to build stage 2?
I guess though whether they build stage 2 would depend on if they can secure the anchor tenant(s) needed to make it viable.
jonwil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2020, 02:58 PM   #2123
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
Is that just plans for some point in the future or do they actually plan to build stage 2?
I guess though whether they build stage 2 would depend on if they can secure the anchor tenant(s) needed to make it viable.
Well, rumour is construction to start in 2 years, which would expand it circa 400 shops. Guess will see if any DA's go in.

Pretty sure they intend to build it, lot of prep stuff for Stage 2 was done with Stage 1, timeframe always seed to be 'a few years' after Stage 1.
Old February 11th, 2020, 05:17 AM   #2124
lofo2016

Likes (Received): 175

well i live down the road from the centre and would be great if they started building stage 2 end of this year
lofo2016 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2020, 06:00 AM   #2125
jonwil

Given how successful stage 1 seems to have been I would have thought they would want to move on stage 2 sooner rather than later.
Old February 11th, 2020, 09:12 AM   #2126
Birkish Delight

Likes (Received): 217

From what I've heard Stage 1 hasn't gone too well and a lot of tenants are struggling. They also have a significant number of vacancies that haven't been filled yet which for Westfield is completely unheard of. I think Stage 2 will be a few years off at least unless they can pull some significant tenants [and paying customers] out of their hat.
Birkish Delight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2020, 12:00 PM   #2127
jonwil

Interesting, my experience is that it seems to be going fairly well (just based on the numbers of people I see at the times I am there). Maybe its only certain businesses (such as the cinemas or the bowling alley or the arcade or the KFC) that are getting business from all those people.

I wonder if the struggling retailers are suffering for the same reasons as retailers everywhere are suffering (economic downturn, low wages etc) or if there is something about Coomera specifically that is causing problems (e.g. location, people choosing to go elsewhere, lack of certain things that would attract more customers)
Old February 12th, 2020, 04:23 AM   #2128
Macca-GC

Likes (Received): 311

I would put my money on Scentre (who own Westfield-branded shopping centres in Australia) wanting to get approvals in place to secure funding for further development - which may include the shopping centre, but also the additional development surrounding the centre.
Macca-GC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2020, 05:17 AM   #2129
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 13212

In this case, it would be Scentre and QICGRE, as the two jointly own Coomera Town Centre.
nathandavid88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2020, 06:39 AM   #2130
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
Interesting, my experience is that it seems to be going fairly well (just based on the numbers of people I see at the times I am there). Maybe its only certain businesses (such as the cinemas or the bowling alley or the arcade or the KFC) that are getting business from all those people.
Yeah I agree, I've been there a few Saturdays and it was hard to even get a spot, overriding impression I got was that it was too small.

Still, guess Scentre have the numbers so we'll see! BTW they have their annual report on the 20th.
Old February 12th, 2020, 08:59 AM   #2131
LX_Jason

Likes (Received): 91

Indooroopilly update- Levis has now closed. Now in that tenancy plus the old Windsor Smith and the old Retro Games shop combined is going to become a JD Sports! Opening end of April.

Also the new Kathmandu tenancy also seems to swallowing up more than the old Factorie position but also the old DJI and Mr Simple positions.

Work has also begun on the new carpark connection on level 4, plus the foodcourt link mall.

My two cents on the development future shopping centres in general- I don't think we'll see many expansions in the bigger centres as there is too much retail uncertainty at the moment. Shopping Centres seem to be more interested in the lifestyle aspect at the moment, not necessarily size. And rightly so. There will be refurbishments and remixes but I feel we will see a lot more of what Indooroopilly is doing among the major centres and that is cutting the number of smaller stores to add more larger drawcard stores or losing levels of department stores to add other majors as in the case at Carindale.

verbatim9 liked this post
LX_Jason no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2020, 09:13 AM   #2132
verbatim9

Likes (Received): 2819

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX_Jason View Post
Indooroopilly update- Levis has now closed. Now in that tenancy plus the old Windsor Smith and the old Retro Games shop combined is going to become a JD Sports! Opening end of April.

Also the new Kathmandu tenancy also seems to swallowing up more than the old Factorie position but also the old DJI and Mr Simple positions.

Work has also begun on the new carpark connection on level 4, plus the foodcourt link mall.

My two cents on the development future shopping centres in general- I don't think we'll see many expansions in the bigger centres as there is too much retail uncertainty at the moment. Shopping Centres seem to be more interested in the lifestyle aspect at the moment, not necessarily size. And rightly so. There will be refurbishments and remixes but I feel we will see a lot more of what Indooroopilly is doing among the major centres and that is cutting the number of smaller stores to add more larger drawcard stores or losing levels of department stores to add other majors as in the case at Carindale.
Wonder if Anaconda will move in to the other new space created? JD makes sense. Levis stores are not the same as Levis stores in USA re quality price and range. They are better housed at outlet centres.

Last edited by verbatim9; February 12th, 2020 at 09:32 AM.
verbatim9 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2020, 09:37 AM   #2133
jonwil

I think what Indooropilly needs is something similar to what went in recently at Garden City in place of the old Toys R Us and library, i.e. arcades and bowling and the like. Its the only big shopping centre missing something like that as far as I know.
AFAIK lacking in any kind of entertainment option except the movie theaters.
Old February 13th, 2020, 02:32 AM   #2134
nathandavid88

Likes (Received): 13212

Just a quick update photo of the Hyperdome's new window on their North Mall end wall. "HYPERDOME" is just "ERD" now.

And zoomed in:

Omnom liked this post
nathandavid88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2020, 09:46 AM   #2135
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

This will be built on Westfield Coomera land and integrate with the centre as it expands:

First look at massive new community centre

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...d11f2a7cdc85b4

Councillors at full council today endorsed the scope and design of the Coomera Civic Hub to be built next to the Westfield Coomera shopping centre.

The three level building will be three times the size of the existing Helensvale Library and include a 400-seat auditorium and multi-purpose community centre.

“It’s our biggest ever regional community centre. There will be a state of art library, a lot of community facilities. We are actually building an extra level on this facility so we can lease it out to the private sector,” Cr Gates said.

“We are going to plan ahead, build for the future. It will be massive. It’s something that’s been proposed for over 40 years that we would develop this area into one of our key regional areas in the city.”

Location is in yellow:

Eastern37 liked this post

Last edited by Locke; February 18th, 2020 at 12:22 PM.
Locke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2020, 01:27 PM   #2136
lofo2016

Likes (Received): 175

when are they building it
lofo2016 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2020, 04:24 AM   #2137
Locke
Guac Bowl Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofo2016 View Post
when are they building it
Has to go through the usual council process plus some negotiations with Westfield so they said delivery within 5 years.
Advertisement

Tags
brisbane