Soccer Stadiums of the USA and Canada - Page 849 - SkyscraperCity
 

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished


Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 18th, 2019, 06:59 PM   #16961
slipperydog
Registered User
 
slipperydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,870
Likes (Received): 4484

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
Interesting shape, I wonder why the seats are so far away?
The seats aren't that far away for soccer. The lines shown in the rendering are for American football.
__________________
Downtown LA Development MapCentral LA Development MapPasadena Development Map

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*
slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old September 19th, 2019, 03:59 AM   #16962
The Game Is Up
Proud Facebook Non-Member
 
The Game Is Up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The last refuge of freedom, my mind
Posts: 2,045
Likes (Received): 1435

Quote:
Des Moines is being considered for a USL Championship soccer club that could launch by 2022, contingent upon the construction of a multi-million-dollar, soccer-specific stadium near downtown, Krause Group CEO Kyle Krause announced Wednesday night.

The USL Pro Iowa campaign, announced at a private event Wednesday evening at Krause Gateway Center in Des Moines, has the backing of the 36-team league that includes sites such as San Diego, Las Vegas, Nashville, Phoenix and others, league officials confirmed.

The Des Moines group, which Krause is spearheading, hopes to build a $60 million stadium on the southern edge of downtown, near Southwest 14th Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway, according to details provided to the Register.

The stadium would be constructed through a public-private partnership, according to a news release. According to the campaign group, central Iowa must meet an April 1, 2020, deadline to show the league that "sufficient support and funding mechanisms are in place" to develop the stadium.
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...ce/2369166001/
__________________
Promotion and Relegation for American sports!

ielag, slayerhk47 liked this post
The Game Is Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2019, 09:35 PM   #16963
The Game Is Up
Proud Facebook Non-Member
 
The Game Is Up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The last refuge of freedom, my mind
Posts: 2,045
Likes (Received): 1435

Tepper asks Charlotte City Council to fund new MLS stadium

https://www.wbtv.com/2019/09/24/tepp...w-mls-stadium/
__________________
Promotion and Relegation for American sports!
The Game Is Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2019, 09:45 PM   #16964
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body
 
nomarandlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 1060 W. Addison, City by the Lake
Posts: 7,257
Likes (Received): 3048

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5portsF4n View Post
Also Fire fans are saying that Mansueto wants to keep the branding, and they seem happy about it. I think it’s a missed opportunity, but as long as they can get a new SSS somewhere close to downtown, it’s a good outcome.
I disagree, I think the Fire brand is a good choice for the team. It is already decades old by now and historically the emblem and motif has been more of a homage to blue-collar Chicago firefighters than any commemorating of the Great Chicago Fire. An event which isn't celebrated but the rebirth and meteoric rise of Chicago after the fire is.

Just doing another imitation retread that so many have now adopted in MLS and rebranding the team as CFC (Chicago Football Club) would be gimmicky and lame at this point IMO.
__________________
Stephane Charbonnier, “I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.”
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2019, 01:43 AM   #16965
5portsF4n
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
I disagree, I think the Fire brand is a good choice for the team. It is already decades old by now and historically the emblem and motif has been more of a homage to blue-collar Chicago firefighters than any commemorating of the Great Chicago Fire. An event which isn't celebrated but the rebirth and meteoric rise of Chicago after the fire is.

Just doing another imitation retread that so many have now adopted in MLS and rebranding the team as CFC (Chicago Football Club) would be gimmicky and lame at this point IMO.
I'm not against it because it commemorates this or that, but because every time you search for Chicago Fire you end up with the TV show dominating.

The show has apparently been renewed for an 8th season. For the Fire and MLS, NBC can't cancel that show quick enough.

The Fire are irrelevant in Chicago, and sharing a name with a popular TV show isn't helping. You'd think the team would outlive the show, but it's proving resilient.
  Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2019, 03:27 AM   #16966
Nacre
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 316
Likes (Received): 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by ielag View Post
Every MLS club is required to have a youth academy. The Seattle Sounders for example play a plethora of teenagers with their USL Tacoma team when they feel they're past the USSDA level.
Yes, but how much experience they get from that is an open question at this point. For example DeAndre Yedlin is officially a Sounders academy product, but he was doing much of his playing in high school soccer and then the University of Akron. The major junior model replaces high school and college soccer with a pro-style league.

This has nothing to do with stadiums, though, so this will be my last post on the subject.
Nacre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2019, 04:10 AM   #16967
pesto
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16,224
Likes (Received): 4114

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5portsF4n View Post
I'm not against it because it commemorates this or that, but because every time you search for Chicago Fire you end up with the TV show dominating.

The show has apparently been renewed for an 8th season. For the Fire and MLS, NBC can't cancel that show quick enough.

The Fire are irrelevant in Chicago, and sharing a name with a popular TV show isn't helping. You'd think the team would outlive the show, but it's proving resilient.
Why would sharing the name with a popular TV show not help? It sounds to me almost ideal to attach to something so integrated into the history of the city that it is used for mass audiences by the entertainment professionals.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2019, 05:21 AM   #16968
5portsF4n
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Why would sharing the name with a popular TV show not help? It sounds to me almost ideal to attach to something so integrated into the history of the city that it is used for mass audiences by the entertainment professionals.
Yes, companies fight tooth and nail to trademark names because sharing branding with others is so awesome! What's even more awesome is playing second fiddle in that relationship. It's doing absolute wonders for the Fire (which one? Your guess is as good as mine)
  Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2019, 04:56 AM   #16969
ielag
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 402
Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacre View Post
Yes, but how much experience they get from that is an open question at this point. For example DeAndre Yedlin is officially a Sounders academy product, but he was doing much of his playing in high school soccer and then the University of Akron. The major junior model replaces high school and college soccer with a pro-style league.

This has nothing to do with stadiums, though, so this will be my last post on the subject.
Kids who play for teams in the USSDA are not even allowed to play high school soccer anymore. Do you even know what the USSDA is to begin with? Or the USL? You know the USL is a pro league correct?

Go look at Danny Leyva, a 16 y/o currently on the Sounders roster. He played for the Sounders 2nd team (now the Tacoma Defiance) against professional adults before playing with the Sounders first team.

And there's actually posts about stadiums in this thread for MLS clubs' 2nd team stadiums such as Loudon United, Real Monarchs, the proposed Tacoma stadium.

Last edited by ielag; September 26th, 2019 at 05:12 AM.
ielag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2019, 05:05 AM   #16970
ielag
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 402
Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game Is Up View Post
Tepper asks Charlotte City Council to fund new MLS stadium

https://www.wbtv.com/2019/09/24/tepp...w-mls-stadium/
Would be great if they at least did a Hard Rock style roof addition and that way could curtain off the upper deck. Without that and even say Charlotte averaged 25K a game, wouldn't be the best of atmospheres despite the supporters' best attempts.
__________________

aquamaroon liked this post
ielag no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2019, 05:40 AM   #16971
5portsF4n
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ielag View Post
Would be great if they at least did a Hard Rock style roof addition and that way could curtain off the upper deck. Without that and even say Charlotte averaged 25K a game, wouldn't be the best of atmospheres despite the supporters' best attempts.
The plan will have to be good, something in line with what you're saying, otherwise Charlotte isn't getting a team.

Look how quickly Detroit, which had a very strong ownership and is a much bigger market than Charlotte, died on its ass once Ford Field was presented as is - and FF has a roof.
  Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2019, 01:08 AM   #16972
slipperydog
Registered User
 
slipperydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,870
Likes (Received): 4484

Louisville City FC

Quote:
A high-tech SubAir drainage system was installed beneath the playing surface to combat inclement weather on game days, address challenges of the Ohio Valley climate and extend the growing season of the grass. On rainy days, the SubAir system quickly drains water off the field; on cold days, the system blows heated air into the roots to keep the grass greener longer.

“The pitch is the most important part of this project, and with the technology we’ve implemented, we’ll have one of the finest surfaces in America,” said Louisville City President Brad Estes. “Tahoma-31 Bermuda grass is specifically engineered for the transition zone climate that has cold winters and hot summers. Lynn Family Stadium’s SubAir system will enable us to keep our pitch green year-round and will drain water at a rate that will ensure we never have a rain out.”
https://www.uslchampionship.com/news...e/show/1052489









slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2019, 06:12 PM   #16973
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicken City, GA
Posts: 9,436
Likes (Received): 5097

I have to confess I'm not liking the upward swoop of the lights. Love everything else about it, though. Great to see lower level soccer getting such A-grade venues. Good luck to them.
__________________
"How can anybody be enlightened? Truth is after all so poorly lit."
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2019, 07:26 PM   #16974
RMB2007
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,669
Likes (Received): 23967

Inter Miami CF



Older aerial image:



https://twitter.com/BNIengineers
__________________
RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2019, 06:52 PM   #16975
slipperydog
Registered User
 
slipperydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,870
Likes (Received): 4484

Six months until the 2020 season begins, wonder if Inter Miami will have to start the season on the road for a bit.
__________________
Downtown LA Development MapCentral LA Development MapPasadena Development Map

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*
slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2019, 10:53 PM   #16976
slipperydog
Registered User
 
slipperydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,870
Likes (Received): 4484

Quote:
Some #USL rumors:

USL East Bay may gear up for 2020 and play out of Diablo Valley Community College until their venue project moves forward. Unclear if USL-C or starting in USL-1

Word is that Fresno FC may be sold with possibilities ranging from USL-C, USL-1 or hiatus in 2020
https://twitter.com/kivlehan
__________________
Downtown LA Development MapCentral LA Development MapPasadena Development Map

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*
slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2019, 09:43 AM   #16977
carnifex2005
Registered User
 
carnifex2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,734
Likes (Received): 1854

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
Six months until the 2020 season begins, wonder if Inter Miami will have to start the season on the road for a bit.
Maybe but that being said, Empire Field in Vancouver was a 27k temp facility and it was built in 111 days, so there should be plenty of time for Miami seeing that they're just started.
__________________

BoulderGrad liked this post
carnifex2005 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2019, 11:38 AM   #16978
You are to blame
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,865
Likes (Received): 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
Six months until the 2020 season begins, wonder if Inter Miami will have to start the season on the road for a bit.
Unlikely, It took the Vancouver 111 days to build their Empire Field.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_Field
__________________
Africa
GDP (PPP): $7.2 Trillion (2019)
You are to blame no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2019, 04:16 PM   #16979
RMB2007
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 17,669
Likes (Received): 23967

Louisville City FC



https://twitter.com/grassmasterssod
RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2019, 05:19 PM   #16980
skaara
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5portsF4n View Post
Yes, companies fight tooth and nail to trademark names because sharing branding with others is so awesome! What's even more awesome is playing second fiddle in that relationship. It's doing absolute wonders for the Fire (which one? Your guess is as good as mine)
Hope about changing to something more positive, like Chicago Hope?
skaara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 


Reply

Tags
canada, football, soccer, stadium, united states of america, usa

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chinese soccer stadiums psveindhoven Projects & Infrastructure / 在建项目与基础设施 18 August 1st, 2013 02:35 PM
American soccer stadiums psveindhoven United States Urban Issues 12 August 4th, 2007 10:41 PM


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us