SkyscraperCity Forum banner

AIRBUS | A220 News & Discussions (formerly BOMBARDIER CSeries)

107K views 278 replies 51 participants last post by  sponge_bob 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#45 ·
Summary for 3Q 2018:
A220-300(CS3) Delivered: 8 - 3 AirBaltic, 3 Korean, 2 Swiss
A220-100(CS1) Delivered: 0

Total for 2018: 21
NB: Before the merger, Bombardier was aiming to deliver around 40 aircraft this year.

Total Cseries/A220 aircraft delivered to-date: 45

Exciting items to look forward to in the 4th quarter: two new customers - Air Tanzania & Delta.

The latest A220-300 to join Swiss fleet: HB-JCQ upon arrival in Zurich. Source: https://twitter.com/FlySWISS/status/1045328482719461377

#49 ·
I had the opportunity to fly on the A220 from GVA to LHR with SWISS last weekend. It was remarkably comfortable and I appreciated the large windows. The restrooms, on the other hand, were very uhm economically designed in terms of space, perhaps a tad too much. I am not a big person so I was alright, but some people will find them pretty claustrophobic. The security instructions in the seats still name the aircraft as C-Series, I wonder when will they change that.

#54 ·
The security instructions in the seats still name the aircraft as C-Series, I wonder when will they change that.
The official terminology of Swiss and as well of the Federal Office of Civil Aviation won´t change the brand anytime soon. The effort to change all the Manuals in the Cockpit and also on Ground would be to costly and intense. The Licences from EASA and FOCA must be renamed, maybe the leasing contracts or paperwork too. Safety Cards, Web and Magazine and many more i think. And as long as nobody insist with important reason to rename those planes, this will be a marketing move of Airbus nothing less and nothing more.

https://app02.bazl.admin.ch/web/bazl/en/#/lfr/detail/HB-JBA-1329909

#63 ·
My initial impression of that plane was that it looks a bit similar to the Boeing 737-700, especially with the small fuselage. However, comparing it with the Embraer E175, the A220 actually wins the design contest this time, especially with the more streamlined design. To me, the A220 is a cross between the larger fuselage of the 73G and the uniqueness of Bombardier's design as it moves away from the CRJ.

#67 ·
Airbus begins building new A220 assembly facilities in Mirabel

Airbus confirms it has kicked off construction of two new buildings in Mirabel that will enable the company to boost production of A220s.

The move precedes the Airbus's plan to open an A220 assembly site in the USA, and comes as it begins fulfilling major orders from several large North American airlines.

"To support our ramp up, we need extra space in Mirabel, so we’ve started construction work for two new dome structures which will be ready around spring 2019," Airbus tells FlightGlobal.

The domes will "create additional capacity for the final assembly process", says Airbus.

The company declines to provide additional details about new construction at Mirabel, which aviation blog FliegerFaust.com reported in recent days.

Airbus, and Bombardier before it, have sought to boost production of the aircraft previously known as the CSeries, which is assembled in the same Mirabel complex in which Bombardier assembles CRJ regional jets.

Prior to Airbus' acquisition of the A220 in July, Bombardier executives talked of hiking production to between 90 and 120 aircraft annually by 2020.

But, actual production rates increased at a glacial pace in recent years.

Bombardier delivered just 17 of the aircraft in 2017. So far this year, Bombardier and Airbus have handed over just 25 A220s, according to Flight Fleets Analyzer.

In addition to the new facility planned in Mirabel, production should benefit from Airbus' plans to open an A220 assembly site in Mobile, Alabama, where the European airframer also assembles A320-family aircraft.

Airbus expects to break ground on the A220 Mobile site in early 2019, it confirms.

The moves come as Airbus prepares to begin handing over A220s to major customers Air Canada and JetBlue Airways, following the first delivery to Delta Air Lines in October.

Atlanta-based Delta has orders for 75 of the aircraft, and had initially expected to receive them all by the end of 2020.

Air Canada has orders for 45 A220s, with deliveries pegged for between 2019 and 2022, and JetBlue has orders for 60 A220-300s, with deliveries to begin in 2020.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/a...building-new-a220-assembly-facilities-454148/

#70 ·
It seems like Delta is very eager to receive the A220s. Delta’s third aircraft delivered just 11 days after first flight. This is in sharp contrast to Swiss where aircrafts usually spend a whole month in test mode before delivery.

Hopefully the monthly rate of deliveries will now step up as well and with Swiss’ orders out of the way that should help too.

#83 ·
Hopefully the monthly rate of deliveries will now step up as well and with Swiss’ orders out of the way that should help too.
Well, it all depends on when the 2nd FAL in Mirabel (article above) and the A220 FAL in Mobile will be completed.

And didn't Swiss have any options left ? I have a feeling LH Group will order more, and not just for Swiss anymore: probably LH Cityline as well (replacement of the ERJ-190/195). Eurowings not so much, they can march on with (young second-hand) A319 for the time being.

#73 · (Edited)
Summary for 4Q 2018:
A220-300(CS3) Delivered: 6 - 2 AirBaltic, 1 Korean, 2 Swiss, 1 Air Tanzania
A220-100(CS1) Delivered: 4 - all Delta
Total delivered in 4Q 2018: 10

Total for 2018: 31
NB 1: Before the merger, Bombardier was aiming to deliver around 40 aircraft in the year 2018.
NB 2: Eventhough the final A220-300 for Swiss has been registered with Swiss authorities, it is still at YMX. It's the same story with Air Tanzania's second A220-300 as well. So you will see the number 33 in some places instead of 31.

Total Cseries/A220 aircraft delivered to-date: 55

Exciting items to look forward to in the year 2019 in terms of deliveries:
1. Now that the Swiss order is out of the way, expect the monthly delivery rate to increase.
2. Two new customers coming onboard: Red Wings and Egyptair. That means A220 will be in service with 7 airlines around the world.

The fourth A220 for Delta undergoing trials at YMX: