Soccer Stadiums of the USA and Canada - Page 839 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 8th, 2019, 10:53 PM   #16761
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 3047

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
The neighborhood is predominantly Hispanic.
The current Fire stadium in Hispanic but it has had a very hard to draw from outside the community in general.

The area around the Michale Reese site is definitely African-American. Just to the north, it is more mixed and Pilsen is to the west a few miles away is heavily Hispanic.
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2019, 03:07 AM   #16762
5portsF4n

Likes (Received):

Quote:
They should just stay there. Tons of land to develop.
Would be surprised if mls doesnt have a clause in the beckham contract saying it must be in miami. Whether they want to stay or not, FL is not what mls agreed to, and no way they agree to this long term.
Old May 9th, 2019, 09:43 AM   #16763
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 4445

Quote:
The Chicago Fire will pay the Bridgeview $60.5 million to break its SeatGeek Stadium lease, per a local report, paving the way for a move to Soldier Field in 2020
https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2019...stadium-lease/

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Benn liked this post
slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 9th, 2019, 06:10 PM   #16764
Chevy114

Likes (Received): 883

Man they are putting too much into Lockhart. It hosts high school football and hasn't hosted anything else big since FIU and FAU have their own stadiums. What are they going to do with something that nice after soccer moves out?

The Miami team location probably has to be in Miami proper like NYCFC wants to be in NYC proper. Can't blame them, this is a long term investment, you don't want to make the same mistakes the marlins made with poor location choices.

As for Chicago, Glad they are moving out, if they haven't found a way to get better attendance by now, do like most soccer teams with success and go to the city proper.
Chevy114 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2019, 07:27 PM   #16765
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 4445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
Man they are putting too much into Lockhart. It hosts high school football and hasn't hosted anything else big since FIU and FAU have their own stadiums. What are they going to do with something that nice after soccer moves out?
The new complex at Lockhart will be Inter Miami's permanent training facility and I believe there are plans for them to have their second or third division USL side play in the stadium there once the first team moves into their new stadium down in Miami proper. But in case there are delays, it's probably a good idea that they have this facility as a stopgap.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Chevy114 liked this post
slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2019, 09:52 PM   #16766
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 2189

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
But in case there are delays, it's probably a good idea that they have this facility as a stopgap.
What could ever make you think there will be Delays with the Miami stadium?...
Old May 10th, 2019, 02:04 AM   #16767
Lumbergo

Likes (Received): 924

Quote:
They should just stay there. Tons of land to develop.
They might as well buy the name back from Bill Edwards (former Tampa Bay Rowdies owner - if he still owns the rights) and rename the team the Fort Lauderdale Strikers then....

actually wouldn't surprise me in the grand scheme if they resurface as a USL team under Inter Miami

marcvader liked this post
Lumbergo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2019, 06:02 AM   #16768
The Game Is Up
Proud Facebook Non-Member

Likes (Received): 1423

What’s happening with Rochester’s multi-million dollar soccer stadium?

https://www.whec.com/news/whatrsquos...adium/5343726/

East Ridge officials support tax incentives for Red Wolves stadium project

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...wolves/494392/

Last edited by The Game Is Up; May 10th, 2019 at 06:11 AM.
The Game Is Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2019, 04:59 AM   #16769
GreenHornet553

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGrad View Post
I love how they're basically just telling you they have no reason to invest in a Revs stadium...

"Sooo... we already have this stadium that we own for the Revs to play in...

Building one specifically for the Revs would cost more than building that stadium...

Soooo.... yeah... we're not gonna do that...

Who would want to give a stadium to that dreadful team that has consistently underachieved? I understand that the bar has been set pretty high here in New England with the Patriots winning 6 super bowls in 20 years, alongside 4 world series titles from the Red Sox, an NBA title by the Celtics, and a Stanley Cup from the Bruins. It is hard for any team, especially in a sport that is still trying to take hold in association football/soccer, to match that expectations to keep their name relevant. And yet I can honestly tell you that the Revs have no steam here because of how badly they have performed. Zero. Nada. Zilch. And nor should they. This is a team that has been to the MLS Cup 5 times and has puked on their cleats all 5 times, haven't put together a winning team/watchable product on the field in what feels like ages, and the Krafts and MLS expect to get a 20,000+ seat stadium from the city of Boston? They can go and pound wet sand and rot in Gillette. Boston has more important things to do with the land available than to build another sports venue that will create more traffic jams on a weekend in summer for a sub 500 team filled with bums, Latin American players who aren't capable of playing in Europe, and European cast aways who couldn't cut it anymore. As far as I'm concerned, the Revs need to prove why they even deserve Boston's attention first, never mind a stadium.
GreenHornet553 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2019, 05:41 AM   #16770
5portsF4n

Likes (Received):

To me the obvious solution is for a new large stadium in Boston at some point. As long as Revs are owned by Kraft, no reason for two stadiums, and unrealistic to expect it.

I know Patriots have been in Foxborough for eons, but Gillette hasnt aged well.

Is it conceivable to build a new 60-70k stadium closer to downtown?

I have no doubt Boston could be on par with Seattle and Atlanta. Obviously a 20k stadium would be ideal, but unless Krafts sell, thats not happening. To me this is the next best option.

aquamaroon liked this post
Old May 11th, 2019, 05:55 AM   #16771
GreenHornet553

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5portsF4n View Post
To me the obvious solution is for a new large stadium in Boston at some point. As long as Revs are owned by Kraft, no reason for two stadiums, and unrealistic to expect it.

I know Patriots have been in Foxborough for eons, but Gillette hasnt aged well.

Is it conceivable to build a new 60-70k stadium closer to downtown?

I have no doubt Boston could be on par with Seattle and Atlanta. Obviously a 20k stadium would be ideal, but unless Krafts sell, thats not happening. To me this is the next best option.

The Krafts aren't moving the Patriots to Boston for a multitude of reasons. Not only would the Patriots fanbase be absolutely livid over the move to a more expensive property which would result in higher season ticket prices, parking, and overall game day experience, not only would the traffic be chaotic and bring the city to a grinding halt, not only would the local business owners near Gillette be angry at the loss of revenue from Patriots game days with the move from Foxborough to Boston, but the Krafts have already invested way too much in Patriot place to where it would be impossible for them to move from Foxborough now without the massive loss of revenue. Also the Kraft family likes the current set up with the Patriots at Gillette because they have financial control over every aspect. They collect all the revenue from the gate of all events, parking, vendors, Patriot Place storefronts, etc. In Boston, they wouldn't nearly have that much control. The only hope Revs fans have is that Kraft sells the team, and I don't know what would drive him to sell now or at any point. Plus, the Krafts own Gillette, as Bob Kraft put $365 Million of his own money to build Gillette Stadium. If anything, I would think Bob Kraft would continue what he does now and continuously renovate the stadium in small chunks rather than try and shakedown Marty Walsh, a mayor who the Krafts seem to have an adversarial relationship with already.

Last edited by GreenHornet553; May 11th, 2019 at 06:06 AM.
Old May 11th, 2019, 06:17 AM   #16772
5portsF4n

Likes (Received):

Fair enough. In any case, a month ago, there didnt seem to be any option to fix Chicago. All of a sudden, they bought out their lease, are moving to Soldier Field, could be in a new home in the next five years. Things can move fast.

It may seem like Revs future is sorted, but anything can happen. There have been rumors of a Revs stadium in the past year. It could be nothing, but you never know.

I dont buy your argument about giving a stadium to an underachieving team. Thats not how things work. The exact same scenario is playing out right now in Chicago which could see the team land a stadium in a great location. The Fire arent moving to SF to spend the rest of their days there, that much is clear.
Old May 11th, 2019, 06:56 AM   #16773
GreenHornet553

True, but at least the Fire are going to a stadium that is already in Chicago. The Revs would literally have nowhere to go, unless they want to give Nickerson Field a go in the interim while they figure out a stadium deal, but that is a 9000+ capacity stadium on a college campus and I doubt MLS and/or Boston University would be down with that. There is also the choice of having the team play at Harvard Stadium, which is a bit bigger but like BU, I don't know if Harvard would allow it plus I don't know about the sight lines.
Old May 11th, 2019, 09:16 AM   #16774
5portsF4n

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet553 View Post
True, but at least the Fire are going to a stadium that is already in Chicago. The Revs would literally have nowhere to go, unless they want to give Nickerson Field a go in the interim while they figure out a stadium deal, but that is a 9000+ capacity stadium on a college campus and I doubt MLS and/or Boston University would be down with that. There is also the choice of having the team play at Harvard Stadium, which is a bit bigger but like BU, I don't know if Harvard would allow it plus I don't know about the sight lines.
The point about Chicago is that Soldier Field seems to be a temporary venue. It seems they are going downtown with a view to building a new stadium. And this week’s rumor mill suggests that such plans are afoot.

Im saying that the Revs, even under Kraft, could end up building a stadium for the Revs. It doesnt seem likely, but neither did the chance of Chicago going anywhere downtown. And yet here we are. Things can change quickly. Kraft may have no incentive to build, but that doesnt mean he wont.

MLS has mentioned that it’s beginning to focus on fixing its major markets. I would be surprised if the situations in NY, Boston, and Chicago arent resolved by 2025.
Old May 12th, 2019, 06:42 PM   #16775
pesto

Likes (Received): 4102

Quote:
The point about Chicago is that Soldier Field seems to be a temporary venue. It seems they are going downtown with a view to building a new stadium. And this week’s rumor mill suggests that such plans are afoot.

Im saying that the Revs, even under Kraft, could end up building a stadium for the Revs. It doesnt seem likely, but neither did the chance of Chicago going anywhere downtown. And yet here we are. Things can change quickly. Kraft may have no incentive to build, but that doesnt mean he wont.

MLS has mentioned that it’s beginning to focus on fixing its major markets. I would be surprised if the situations in NY, Boston, and Chicago arent resolved by 2025.
LOL. An interesting marketing approach: once Columbus, Nashville and Sacramento are locked down you can start work on NY, Chicago, China, India, etc.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2019, 10:45 PM   #16776
BoulderGrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHornet553 View Post
As far as I'm concerned, the Revs need to prove why they even deserve Boston's attention first, never mind a stadium.
If they're expecting a handout for a stadium, I'd tell them to pound sand regardless of whether they're winning or not. Winning games doesn't entitle teams to tax money.

I would say tho that the Boston market is already pretty opposed to such an arrangement (TD Garden and Gillette were both privately financed, and a publicly financed replacement for Fenway was soundly rejected), and I think Kraft knows that. That leaves it to him to build such a facility on his own dime, which he will never do because... He already has a facility for them. Even if its sub-par and not the best situation for the Revs, it's still a little extra coin in his pocket, so he doesn't much care.
Old May 12th, 2019, 11:04 PM   #16777
BoulderGrad

Quote:

Plans may be afoot in Chicago, but they're far from reality at this point. I think they'll wait and see how the first few seasons go at Soldier field.

The Bears pay ~$5mil/yr to play at Soldier field and get to keep just about all of the revenue they generate from games. If the Fire can get similar lease terms, and are paying anything close to that each year, that's a heckuva lot cheaper than building their own stadium for $200mil-$300mil. And if they start drawing crowds like Atlanta and Seattle (Granted, that's a big IF), that's a lot more money coming in that if they were playing in a 20k seat venue.

The move away from NFL stadiums to SSS's was because it was a drain on funds and atmosphere to be playing in mostly empty rented NFL sized venues. Now that MLS teams can draw crowds to fill stadiums that size, the league might be much more okay with more teams playing in such venues on a more permanent basis (see proposed teams in Detroit, and Carolina).

That is an intriguing notion about Kraft building another joint use venue closer to Boston, but the Patriots would be the main driver behind such a move, and they seem to be doing just fine with Gillette as is. When it's the owner actually footing the bill, stadiums tend to last a lot longer than 20 years.
Old May 13th, 2019, 10:01 PM   #16778
Chevy114

Likes (Received): 883

I think it will be interesting in Chicago. I always say hipster markets do well and Atlanta and Seattle are kind of hipster these days.

The problem is no major market has done well in an NFL sized stadium yet. LA, New York, and Houston 3 of the 4 biggest cities built nice and big sss, none of them are the size of NFL stadiums though. For whatever reason some cities just like soccer better than other sports going on in their town and I think it's the type of population they have more so than the size of the city.

As for the Revs, if they are making money great, if not, then why not built a $500 million dollar stadium, Kraft probably has the money. As I pointed out, big cities want sss. He's only hurting Boston soccer, which doesn't matter to MLS as long as money is still being made.
Chevy114 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2019, 11:56 PM   #16779
GreenHornet553

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
I think it will be interesting in Chicago. I always say hipster markets do well and Atlanta and Seattle are kind of hipster these days.

The problem is no major market has done well in an NFL sized stadium yet. LA, New York, and Houston 3 of the 4 biggest cities built nice and big sss, none of them are the size of NFL stadiums though. For whatever reason some cities just like soccer better than other sports going on in their town and I think it's the type of population they have more so than the size of the city.

As for the Revs, if they are making money great, if not, then why not built a $500 million dollar stadium, Kraft probably has the money. As I pointed out, big cities want sss. He's only hurting Boston soccer, which doesn't matter to MLS as long as money is still being made.

Because Kraft has so much already invested into Gillette that he isn't going to divert money that would go into the Patriots' coffers to the Revs unless the team starts winning and gaining momentum. The fact of the matter is that the Patriots come first because they are the main team in New England, followed by currently the Bruins, then the Celtics (who fell in popularity after the collapse in the playoffs to the Bucks) and Red Sox in a tie for third.

Chevy114 liked this post
Old May 24th, 2019, 01:10 AM   #16780
RMB2007

Likes (Received): 23906

Louisville City FC

https://twitter.com/WDRBNews
RMB2007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
canada, football, soccer, stadium, united states of america, usa