SkyscraperCity Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Addis Ababa (አዲስ ኣበባ) | Ethiopia | City Gallery (PT.3)

1M views 4K replies 130 participants last post by  yosef 
#1 ·
See less See more
#5 ·
I think that is done to remind us where we started from, because those pics are the very first pics of Addis posted here, back in 2006 , you can view them on the thread no1, sometimes when I want to see how far Addis have come I visit it ,http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=392242

Reactions: Geb98
#11 ·
^What building is this? I'm trying to search through my memory bank but I come up empty. I do remember there are a few new buildings right around where this building is, but they were low-rise.

#12 ·
That's near Beherawi Theatre

#23 ·
At one of the main avenues of the Ethiopian and the African capital city of Addis Ababa we have immortalized the late Austrian Karlheinz Boehm. I am very happy and proud as an Ethiopian that the accomlishments and his humanity towards the Ethiopian people during his lifetime has been acknowledged by a tall monument on such a significant cross road in an important city of a 90 million population. If anybody deserves a statue of this caliber in such an impotant city like Addis Ababa, a person like him who devoted decades of his lifetime for the improvement of the living conditions of many Ethiopians and the changes he brought about in the lives of millions of Ethiopians could be an inspiration for others. This great individual deserves such an honour in my opinion.

When we come to the reggae legendary musician and his statue, I am not very keen on the idea of erecting the statue in Addis Ababa. The statue depicts Bob Marley doing what he has always enjoyed doing during his lifetime – performing on a stage. I would say I belong to thousands(won't dare to say millions) of Ethiopian fans of this outstanding legendary musician. Of course he was an admiror and worshiper of the late Ras Teferi Mekonnen Woldemichael Gudessa(the late Emperor Haile Selassie I). If this was the main criteria to be immortalized and be honoured with a statue on one of the main intersections of Addis Ababa, then we should first honour the late Emperor before honouring his admiror.

Maybe somebody from this forum may enlighten me on what the criterions are, to erect monuments in honour of great personalities.

#24 ·
I fully support the idea of honouring this people with a statue, But that statue of karlheinz and this one of bob marly are reall pathetic works of amateur sculptors , they should be removed and replaced by something that is professional. We have good artists who can do the job , why not commission them and give them the job. Below are some good examples from different cities in Ethio, for a decent art works our sculptors are capable of.

statue of Said Mohammed ,Jijiga

Statue of Woldeamanuel Dubale ,Awassa

Statue of Bakhar Waree ,Chelenqo Oromia

Reactions: The daily
#25 ·
RITA MARLEY NOT HAPPY ABOUT BOB STATUE

Rita Marley, widow of pop icon Bob Marley, is reportedly not happy about the statue of her late husband that will be unveiled in Addis Ababa next week.

Rita, who lives in the city of Accra, will not make it to Addis to uncover the three-metre bronze that is planned to be unveiled next Sunday in Gerji area, in front of the Imperial hotel, Ethiopia Observer has learnt.
The Ethiopian reggae singer Zeleke Gessese and music promoter, Addisu Gessese had the idea for the bronze statue, and Rita wasn’t happy about the project from the very start thinking that it was for financial gain by exploiting her husband’s name, sources revealed. The statue was sculpted by Bizuneh Tesfa and commissioned by the two brothers Zeleke, Addisu, and the businessman Awad Mohamed.

Rita, however, is not planning to take legal action against Zeleke and Addisu.
The statue will be erected in Bob Marley Square, which was named after the reggae legend ten years ago by the then city mayor, Arkebe Oqubay. A free concert featuring local reggae artists including Jalud Awol, Abenet Agonafer, Kenny Allen, Sydney Salmon, Johnny Raga, Ras Jani, would be held in the newly built Youth Sport Academy. Organisers are expecting as many as 20,000 people to attend the free event.

Rita Marley was granted honorary citizenship of the Addis Ababa city and received an Ethiopian passport from the government ten years ago, though she has made Ghana her home since some years ago.

http://www.ethiopiaobserver.com
The guy who made the statue is Artist Bizuneh Tesfa who also made the statue of Karlheinz Boehm and Atse Tewodros (at Gondar Square). Both sculptures have proportional problems. He works alone and it seems that someone need to assist him in the creative process.

Statue of Woldeamanuel Dubale ,Awassa was done by Artist Getahun Assefa who also teachs at the Alle School of Fine Arts, Addis Ababa University. He is one of the few best sculptors Ethiopia ever has. I don't know why but he gets few opportunities to create such a kind of work he did for Hawassa.

My feeling about the statues:..... we should honor our heroes first before we extend our hands to abroad. Statue should be about history and culture of the country. We are short handed to build our history and culture in a visual form. I hope we can do better!

#31 ·
^^ I don't think so. The Ramada is in Lideta I think. This picture is in Bole, right by the Millennium Hall (that you can see on the far right edge of the pic).

I just read an article that the Ramada is due to be inaugurated in June. It would be nice to find a progress picture.

#32 ·

Source : diretube

Reactions: The daily
#35 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.