Retail in Liverpool - Page 319 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 25th, 2019, 09:05 PM   #6361
ramsbrook

Likes (Received): 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&I View Post
'The Echo: Last Week's Re-hashed Press Releases, Tomorrow'
Hope it’s in the former Owen Owens store (Tesco Metro) and not a conversion of Flannels in L1. This would bring into use an empty large retail space, although we don’t know the size of the proposed store. If it’s the first to open, you’d hope there would be some substantial capital spend on reconnecting the space of the former Tesco Metro store on the ground floor with the old Sports Direct footprint on the upper floors.

Fitzroy, Pietari liked this post
ramsbrook no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2019, 04:29 PM   #6362
B&I

Likes (Received): 2991

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsbrook View Post
Hope it’s in the former Owen Owens store (Tesco Metro) and not a conversion of Flannels in L1. This would bring into use an empty large retail space, although we don’t know the size of the proposed store. If it’s the first to open, you’d hope there would be some substantial capital spend on reconnecting the space of the former Tesco Metro store on the ground floor with the old Sports Direct footprint on the upper floors.

It would be even better if it was George Henry Lee's. Is the conversion of that into a hotel definitely going ahead ?
B&I está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2019, 05:34 PM   #6363
Pietari
Just something

Likes (Received): 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&I View Post
It would be even better if it was George Henry Lee's. Is the conversion of that into a hotel definitely going ahead ?
It's not a bad thing for GHL's to be a hotel IMO as it adds to the mix in the area.
http://www.wirralwaters.com/
1,000s of maitime companies employ 10s of 1,000s of staff with an annual turnover of £2.5bns+ / 15% of the Merseyside economy. The Super Port of Liverpool is expanding & with 150,000 ship movements a year, the River Mersey is the UK’s 3rd busiest estuary.
http://www.shipais.com/index.php
The Merseyrail network runs 700 services a day, the most intense of any in the UK apart from London Underground.
http://visitliverpool.com/
Pietari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2019, 07:27 PM   #6364
Cardenio123

Likes (Received): 442

A further improvement to Clayton square could be achieved if TJ Hughes quit their London Road home for a new department store in St John's, converting the failed market into one shop with a shiny new frontage on Eliot Street that would enhance this part of the retail sector. This move would also allow them to have store entrances inside the centre itself. Recladding the exteriors would also help.

Ideally St John's shoukd be demolished and replaced but if we have to offer more likely short term solutions then this proposal would lead to a masive improvement in that area. A largeish budget department store would suit this centre and draw business in, then the vacated London Road building would make ideal student accommodation with shops at street level.

Last edited by Cardenio123; May 26th, 2019 at 08:46 PM.
Cardenio123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2019, 12:07 PM   #6365
Pietari
Just something

Likes (Received): 930

I think Tj's has its own place on London road + as the area develops with the fabric district + new apartments it'll keep some of the townies happy, just it always has.

As for the market it could do worse than just be a large 'Fun House' for the shoppers children ... Keeping them happy whilst Mum + Dad + the grand parents go shopping + forget where they put them.
http://www.wirralwaters.com/
1,000s of maitime companies employ 10s of 1,000s of staff with an annual turnover of £2.5bns+ / 15% of the Merseyside economy. The Super Port of Liverpool is expanding & with 150,000 ship movements a year, the River Mersey is the UK’s 3rd busiest estuary.
http://www.shipais.com/index.php
The Merseyrail network runs 700 services a day, the most intense of any in the UK apart from London Underground.
http://visitliverpool.com/

McGrath liked this post
Pietari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2019, 04:46 PM   #6366
iheartthenew
*THEIYR'RE

Likes (Received): 3510

Second Liverpool location for Tesco's "Jack's" discount store chain:

http://ymliverpool.com/tesco-jacks-s...iverpool/39191

PeterStoba liked this post
iheartthenew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2019, 10:36 AM   #6367
1878EFC

Likes (Received): 272

They are opening on County Road where the Tesco is and putting all staff on zero hour contracts apparently.
1878EFC no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2019, 12:29 PM   #6368
iheartthenew
*THEIYR'RE

Likes (Received): 3510

I'm not surprised, the County Road Tesco Metro was one originally rumoured to become a Jack's in the first round of conversions. Not all the staff will be put on zero-hours (I'm not sure they actually use zero-hours), only the few that successfully apply... ...the rest will get redundancy or move to another Tesco.

The new store (in a completely new-to-them unit) at North Liverpool Retail Park off the E. Lancs is a first to open not in/on property Tesco already own/occupy.

Last edited by iheartthenew; June 1st, 2019 at 12:35 PM.
iheartthenew no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2019, 08:18 PM   #6369
LukeMc

Likes (Received): 29

According to staff that work there is only going to be 20odd positions in the new Jacks store on County Road, all being zero hour contracts, seems the manority of staff are taking whatever redundancy there offered
LukeMc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2019, 05:38 PM   #6370
david909

Likes (Received): 223

There'll be no Selfridges in Liverpool anytime soon..

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/what...store-16397021

The main point being..

Quote:
A spokesperson for Selfridges explained how its main focus was to concentrate on the growth of its Manchester and London stores which many shoppers from Liverpool still travel to.

Its online store was also a priority to the business. Sadly for Scousers, Selfridges did confirm to the ECHO it has no plans to open any additional stores.

A spokesperson said: “Our main focus is to ensure our existing London and regional stores, as well as our digital store at Selfridges.com which reaches the whole of the UK as well as over 130 countries, are the most compelling retail destinations and that each deliver extraordinary customer experiences. We have no plans to open additional stores.”

david909 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2019, 02:12 PM   #6371
Mr Tumnus

Likes (Received): 321

Selfridge's regional stores are pale replicas of the London store. Personally I think the store is over rated and full of overpriced goods. This is a classic example of how people from Liverpool have long flattered the shopping figures for various Manchester stores. The situation used to be far worse before Liverpool ONE was developed and Liverpool had a much less extensive retail offer. I would advise Liverpool shoppers to buy online and see how healthy the Manchester stores are without the input from shoppers forced to travel a 70 mile round trip to buy their overpriced bling.

bluesnapper, Cardenio123, giggoggi liked this post

Last edited by Mr Tumnus; June 9th, 2019 at 02:22 PM. Reason: typo
Mr Tumnus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2019, 03:40 PM   #6372
albionfagan

Likes (Received): 2848

I've never been in a Selfridges, what's the difference between them and say, John Lewis?
albionfagan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2019, 03:50 PM   #6373
TheFamousGoose
Registered Goose

Likes (Received): 1665

They don't sell fridges.
TheFamousGoose está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2019, 06:17 PM   #6374
LABlue

Likes (Received): 1215

Quote:
Originally Posted by david909 View Post
There'll be no Selfridges in Liverpool anytime soon..

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/what...store-16397021

The main point being..

another great Echo article - next why Donald Trump refuses to team up with Lawrence Kenwright

It really has become a parody of a newspaper - bit like the Framley Examiner or Viz but less funny

aeolian, FutureLiverpool liked this post
LABlue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2019, 06:18 PM   #6375
Elliot_

Likes (Received): 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionfagan View Post
I've never been in a Selfridges, what's the difference between them and say, John Lewis?

Selfridges sell more of a range of upmarket/designer clothing/accessories, however I’d say John Lewis have a similar line up to be honest. Selfridges also have a lot more concessions like red 5, paperchase, yo sushi rather than their own in house departments and restaurants. John Lewis sells more electronics and homeware and furniture. Their beauty halls are pretty much identical. Selfridges apart from the Manchester store have food halls too.

The Trafford Centre store is family focused with luxury items as well as kids and
The Birmingham store is the same
The Manchester store is just luxury accessories, beauty and clothing
And the London is the flagship
Elliot_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2019, 06:30 PM   #6376
Justme
Gotta lite?

Likes (Received): 1788

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionfagan View Post
Above is pretty much spot on, although I would also add that John Lewis has a far wider selection of products and is closer to the true "department store" in that it actually has real departments.

The article isn't quite correct. It says that Liverpool has a "John Lewis , Debenhams and a Beauty Bazaar Harvey Nichols, but.... neighbouring cities like Manchester which has all of this plus two Selfridges stores."
We don't have a city centre John Lewis or Selfridges (our city centre Selfridges is not a full department store as it only has one department, clothing)
... and they are talking about city centres, not suburbas as the sentence before and after reference the city centre.

I way prefer John Lewis over Selfridges as it almost always has what I'm after and Selfridges (except the one in London"s Oxford Road) always seems lacking.

So on that note, just as some mention people travel to Manchester for Selfridges, I travel to Liverpool for John Lewis. I can get a direct train to Liverpool in one hour from Didsbury or a bus to the Trafford Centre in 50 minutes from Didsbury... I'd rather go to Liverpool One and shop there.

Works both ways around and in my preference, John Lewis beats Selfridges.

Elliot_, Merswy, aeolian, Pietari liked this post

Last edited by Justme; June 9th, 2019 at 06:48 PM.
Justme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2019, 06:42 PM   #6377
albionfagan

Likes (Received): 2848

I'm not into shopping at all, so it would certainly be lost on me. One thing I will say, I much prefer going into a city centre, walking among the buildings of the city than going to a mall. I get nervous just thinking about the parking at the Trafford Centre and if I were living in Manchester I'd much prefer the fantastic city centre you have to the Trafford Centre. Liverpool One does have mallish elements but the fact you're outside makes such a difference.

B&I, Pietari liked this post
albionfagan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2019, 08:12 PM   #6378
d.watto97

Likes (Received): 4269

(Is this classed as retail?)

The Metro Bank fit-out continues at pace:

"Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say, 'We are Liverpool'."
Bill Shankly
d.watto97 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2019, 08:16 PM   #6379
flypie126

Likes (Received): 774

Retail banking.
Advertisement