CHICAGO - Soldier Field (61,500) - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Rate It
10.0 66 20.31%
9.5 26 8.00%
9.0 55 16.92%
8.5 34 10.46%
8.0 22 6.77%
7.5 21 6.46%
7.0 12 3.69%
6.5 12 3.69%
6.0 14 4.31%
5.5 3 0.92%
5.0 11 3.38%
4.5 6 1.85%
4.0 4 1.23%
3.5 2 0.62%
3.0 37 11.38%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 6th, 2005, 09:48 PM   #1
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 362

CHICAGO - Soldier Field (61,500)

Chicago Bears

9x Champion:
1921, 1932, 1933, 1940, 1941,
1943, 1946, 1963, 1985

Home of the NFL's Chicago Bears

Can you fit a new modern stadium inside of an old one? One complete with hundred of luxury suites, club seating and put fans close to the action? Yes. There are bigger stadiums out there, with fancy awnings, retractable roofs, etc. They all try to be the most modern, yet most are big repeats of the same thing. Then you have Soldier Field, that shows there is innovation in design.

Pre-renovation Soldier Field

New Soldier Field

Atriums, concourses and walkways

Gameday football

Gameday football

Last edited by www.sercan.de; November 2nd, 2012 at 07:25 PM.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 6th, 2005, 11:58 PM   #2
israelblue
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

ohhhhhhhh, I like Soldier Field
israelblue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 12:39 AM   #3
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Likes (Received): 1930

most people here in town seem to hate it, but i think it's brilliant!

what a magnificent sports facility to have right next to downtown on our beautiful lakefront.
Advertisement

Old April 7th, 2005, 12:52 AM   #4
Frog
SSC addict

Likes (Received): 3

quite an interesting blend with the modern glassy structure and the classical style
Frog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 12:59 AM   #5
th0m
oemoemenemoe

Likes (Received): 1

The best stadium in the US, imo. I love everything about it. It's huge, yet feels nice (from the pictures, I'd love to go there), combines old and new perfectly imo, has a sweet asymmetrical architecture, the use of materials is class, not the concrete look you see all the time, and the cantilevered scoreboards are just jawdropping.

10/10

ORANJE

www.pbase.com/th0m for photo's
th0m no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 01:06 AM   #6
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1519

The west grandstand lets it down if it stook with the style of the other side....I probably would of game it a 9!

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 03:59 AM   #7
daveyboy44

No offense , but this is one of the ugliest stadiums I have EVER seen. It is one thing for a stadium to have some unique and non-symnetrical features but what the??? It's as if the designers had two different ideas for the stadium , and instead of combining those two ideas.......they built two different stadiums . The old one was sooo much better IMO.
daveyboy44 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 10:21 AM   #8
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 229

First time I saw pics of it I wasnt that keen on it but I'v warmed to it over time, espeically how the old "greek" features are incorperated.

Last edited by MoreOrLess; April 7th, 2005 at 11:37 AM.
MoreOrLess no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2005, 11:58 AM   #9
Zizu

I like the asymmetrical structure too. And the combination of old and new is nice. 8/10
Zizu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 10:09 AM   #10
KingShizzznit

There are many more thing to this stadium than meets the eye. One won't be able to realize Soldier Field's value until they experience it from the inside. This stadium has the best sight lines, and is the most up to date stadium, in the NFL. Plus, there are no parking lots! Just lots and lots of trees and a gigantic sledding hill for the children. Underneath this stadium is a massive parking garage. Which makes the ability to respect the past and preserve it at the same time that much more impressive.
KingShizzznit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 10:19 AM   #11
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 204

The addition to Soldier Field is a monument to architectural ineptitude. Just a few days ago, as I was exiting the Field Museum on my way to the parking structure, I was able to see closeup just how bad it looks. The extension of the seating--often said to resemble a flying saucer--and the old colonnade make for disastrous bedfellows. The U.S. government is considering the revocation of Soldier Field's status as a National Landmark as a result of its perversion.

Having said that, I agree with KingShizznit that the interior of the stadium is very attractive and innovative. The views of the field are impeccable and overall there is a feeling of coziness that many NFL stadiums are lacking.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 02:17 PM   #12
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

my spin on Soldier Field (from an undeniably biased and partisan home-town guy and Bear fan):

nothing in the NFL can compare with the assemetrical layout of this dramatic beauty.

the exterior: people criticize the architecture of Soldier Field's exterior. What a joke; the vast majority of NFL stadiums don't even have architetcure; their shells for what is inside, little more.

to appreciate Soldier Field, you must understand one key concept: nobody would ever have designed a structgure like this from scratch. The design is an attempt to link the classical history of the stadium with a statment that looks to the future.

Others think it was a marriage made in hell. I see a tour de force instead. I love it. This is not an attempt to create a awkward connection between old and new by having the new design mimic the original statement, creating something that would have looked tacked on. It is the contrast between ol and new that make this thing work.

Sure you can't see the collonades from the field, but they're still there, not torn down by a totally new structure. And you can walk through them when you want, something impossible in the old configuration.

Even issues of "scale" are not what some people say (IMHO). The fear that this structure overpowers the lakefront is absurd when you consider that immediately south of Soldier Field, McCormick Place sprawls on the lakefront and Stevenson Expressway ramps over Lk Sh Dr. Meanwhile, directly to the west, Museum Park's new towering structures are practically at the stadium's doorstep.

This location isn't Lincoln Park, where beach and park width buffer the lakefront from the city. Soldier Field does not overpower the lakefront here the way that it would have been in a location such as the Lincoln Park lakefront, east of the zoo.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2005, 02:32 PM   #13
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 362

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25
my spin on Soldier Field (from an undeniably biased and partisan home-town guy and Bear fan):

nothing in the NFL can compare with the assemetrical layout of this dramatic beauty.

the exterior: people criticize the architecture of Soldier Field's exterior. What a joke; the vast majority of NFL stadiums don't even have architetcure; their shells for what is inside, little more.

to appreciate Soldier Field, you must understand one key concept: nobody would ever have designed a structgure like this from scratch. The design is an attempt to link the classical history of the stadium with a statment that looks to the future.

Others think it was a marriage made in hell. I see a tour de force instead. I love it. This is not an attempt to create a awkward connection between old and new by having the new design mimic the original statement, creating something that would have looked tacked on. It is the contrast between ol and new that make this thing work.
I think Soldier Field is the one real chance taker inside and out in the entire world. The NFL is a leader at this for bowl layouts, while New Arizona Cardinals, Quoduoung(sp?) and Allainz are the others that take chances on the exterior. Soldier combines both, while creating a super intimate atmosphere without even a roof or straight sideline seating on the side(thank goodness the NFL knows better). Inside and out, if I were choosing a world #1, this would be it. Even over Reliant. I had a great aerial from the north that really showed off the genious of the bowl design and how a lot of the bowl is in the ground on that side. As highly as it is ranked in people's mind, I think it is still vastly underrated because it doesn't have a roof or retractable roof.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2005, 06:24 PM   #14
HoldenV8

Likes (Received): 25

According to a recent reply e-mail I received from Soldier Field Management, the capacity is 63,000 and the record crowd for the new stadium was set on opening day 2003 when 61,500 showed up to watch Chicago take on Green Bay.
HoldenV8 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 12:06 AM   #15
wrabbit

Likes (Received): 5

Super cool - 9/10
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2005, 08:32 PM   #16
dewback

Likes (Received): 2

I am not sure about the exterior, but the interior looks pretty nifty (despite some unecessary non-symmetrical features).
Old July 23rd, 2005, 08:04 AM   #17
Zargyle

Likes (Received): 1

Very cool- I like how they kept the old part and built on a modern part. They should do this with the LA Colliseum.
Zargyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 04:25 PM   #18
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 492

i like it! is it meant to have an Olympian Feel? Something from Ancient greek times?
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 08:20 PM   #19
jimbojoe45

Likes (Received): 5

As a season ticket holder to both old and new solider field. From a game standpoint the new stadium is amazing. I loved the old solider field ... it looked like a sea of people in a roman classical bowl. But the new stadium is far better game experience. Better bathroom... concessions...sight lines...and that place really gets roaring on third down ...
jimbojoe45 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 08:51 PM   #20
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by .::G!oRgOs::.
Is it meant to have an Olympian Feel? Something from Ancient greek times?
Yes, the doric columns and granite-textured cast stone were meant to give it an ancient Greek and Roman feel.

It really gives you a sense of how large the original Soldier Field was, that architects literally were able to build a brand new stadium inside the walls of the old stands!

I actually LOVE both the renovations of Soldier Field and Lambeau Field in Green Bay. With Lambeau, the interior bowl of the stadium was the only part worth preserving, while the exterior was the only part worth saving at Soldier.

The city of Chicago did a magnificent job with this stadium, including its surroundings. Before the renovation the stadium was surrounded by a barren parking lot. Now they've got an underground garage, and the lot's been replaced by park. Re-routing Lakeshore Dr. so it doesn't encircle the stadium was a great move too.

Bravo Chicago!
Cheese Mmmmmmmmmmmm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
chicago