LISBON - Estádio da Luz (64,642) - Page 3 - SkyscraperCity
 

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Completed


Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 19th, 2006, 12:38 PM   #41
2zanzibar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: London
Posts: 218
Likes (Received): 1

Gosh! I wish North London had the same beautiful sunlight!!!
Its not fair!

Estadio da Luz and the emirates are very similar. If da Luz hadn't painted those huge trusses red and left them white, and Emirates didn't have the sloping roof then we would have the perfect stadium!
2zanzibar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old February 19th, 2006, 01:08 PM   #42
MoreOrLess
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,240
Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadiumfuture
MoreOrLess:
Its only mine opinion.
As you see pictures of both stadia, than can you not say that emirates stadium 5.000 seats smaller is than luz. Luz has more rows on the upper tier. Luz is more than 15.000 seats larger than arsenal stadium.
So your saying one of the stadiums is lieing about their capacity? If your right about the upper tiers then I'd guess Emirates makes up the difference with larger lower and middle tiers.
MoreOrLess no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 01:15 PM   #43
bubomb
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Glasgow
Posts: 1,093
Likes (Received): 1

Da Luz is 65647, and is obviously better than the Emirates Stadium. It just looks more eye-catching and is also bigger. I think it is the roof that does it. Any non-fanboy will tell you that they prefer Da Luz over The Emirates.
bubomb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old February 19th, 2006, 01:26 PM   #44
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...
 
Its AlL gUUd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: London
Posts: 6,017
Likes (Received): 296

How can you make that conclusion if the emirates not finished yet, Emirates might actually be better then da Luz, yet i agree that roof does let it down
__________________
I T S Y
Its AlL gUUd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 05:03 PM   #45
stadiumfuture
stadiumfuture
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 376
Likes (Received): 5

On this site the fact & figures of Estadio da Luz and you can see that the stadium not 65.000 have, but 75.000 seats.
http://www.hoksve.com/sport/projects...htm?sort=Alpha
stadiumfuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 05:46 PM   #46
rantanamo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 3,521
Likes (Received): 362

The roof of Da Luz is the one thing I like better than Emirates. The bowls are pretty much the same, and I like the very sharp exterior of Emirates. The English sloping roofs along the upper decks are just too much though.
rantanamo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 05:53 PM   #47
MoreOrLess
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 2,240
Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadiumfuture
On this site the fact & figures of Estadio da Luz and you can see that the stadium not 65.000 have, but 75.000 seats.
http://www.hoksve.com/sport/projects...htm?sort=Alpha
Most likely a mistake, I'v seen it quoted as 65,000 everywhere else.
MoreOrLess no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 06:41 PM   #48
Iain1974
Registered User
 
Iain1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Longvieew
Posts: 950
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo
The roof of Da Luz is the one thing I like better than Emirates. The bowls are pretty much the same, and I like the very sharp exterior of Emirates. The English sloping roofs along the upper decks are just too much though.
If we could see a rentidion of Da Luz and Ashburton Grove together they'd be almost identical.

Sloping roofs are a matter of tradition in England. The old Wembley had a surprisingly sloped roof. In fact so much so that in the furthest back seats the view was badly obstructed.
Iain1974 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 06:52 PM   #49
SkyLerm
Architranceture Feelings
 
SkyLerm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Anywhere in southern Madrid
Posts: 1,866
Likes (Received): 28

Best stadium in Portugal no doubt, althought the ancient was bigger.
Da Luz and Emirates are quite similar but i think first one is better in overall.
__________________
The Rebirth Of Time

Cuchiville
SkyLerm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 08:01 PM   #50
stadiumfuture
stadiumfuture
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 376
Likes (Received): 5

Luz = Catedral do futebol
stadiumfuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2006, 10:33 PM   #51
2zanzibar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: London
Posts: 218
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadiumfuture
Luz = Catedral do futebol
this may be so but it doesn't hold 75 000

Bottom tier:
Emirates; 29 rows
Luz: 27 rows

2nd (corporate) tier:
8 rows each

3rd (corporate) tier:
3 rows each

4th Tier corners:
Emirates; 16 rows
Luz; 24 rows

4th ier apex:
Emirates; 33 rows
Luz; 41 rows

don't think theres a 15 000 difference there, more like 5-7 000
2zanzibar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 12:10 AM   #52
stadiumfuture
stadiumfuture
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 376
Likes (Received): 5

2Zanzibar:
Luz have 29 rows on the bottom tier.
stadiumfuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 02:26 AM   #53
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro
 
Paulo2004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lusitania
Posts: 4,651
Likes (Received): 59

you're wrong 2zanzibar. The Luz stadium has 29 rows on the bottom tier.
__________________
Murtosa em Fotos

For the best photos or information on Portugal, visit the PORTUGUESE FORUM.
Paulo2004 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 01:25 PM   #54
ManchesterISwonderful
Sometimes I, fan-ta-sise
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 628
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2zanzibar
this may be so but it doesn't hold 75 000



4th Tier corners:
Emirates; 16 rows
Luz; 24 rows

4th ier apex:
Emirates; 33 rows
Luz; 41 rows


don't think theres a 15 000 difference there, more like 5-7 000

Ahh. Thought it looked bigger. So the difference is in the upper tier.

I prefer the Da Luz, if I'm honest.
ManchesterISwonderful no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 04:17 PM   #55
JimB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,812
Likes (Received): 7336

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadiumfuture
On this site the fact & figures of Estadio da Luz and you can see that the stadium not 65.000 have, but 75.000 seats.
http://www.hoksve.com/sport/projects...htm?sort=Alpha
Sorry, stadiumfuture, but you're wrong and MoreOrLess is right.

The capacity of Stadio Da Luz is 65,000. Check this link:

http://www.eurostadiums.com/stadiums...al/Lisboa/304/

Or this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ms_by_capacity

The European Championship final between Portugal and Greece in the summer of 2004 attracted a crowd of 62,865. For proof, see this link to the BBC website. The attendance is listed below the match report:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...04/3860105.stm

I imagine that the slightly below 65,000 figure was because of the segregation required. If the Stadio Da Luz really held 75,000 seats, do you honestly think that 12,000 of them would have been empty for one of the most important matches in world football - especially when the home nation was in the final? And do you think that no one would have noticed all those empty seats?

Of course not.
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 04:38 PM   #56
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...
 
Its AlL gUUd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: London
Posts: 6,017
Likes (Received): 296

Da Luz is 65,000, those who think it is 75,000 are deluded
__________________
I T S Y
Its AlL gUUd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 06:56 PM   #57
stadiumfuture
stadiumfuture
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 376
Likes (Received): 5

Why are an architect company lieing about this facts. In the first option they have an plan to build an stadium for 75.000, but ernest walker (uefa) was against this plan. Only the 4 arches are reduced to 74 meter, and the total plan was the same structure.

The facts for 65.000 was an method to continue the construction proces. As they have say 'we build an stadium for 75.000', than was this the end of this beautiful project. Ernest Walker is an insitute in fooball real estate. He can say stop the construction now.

Please believe me
stadiumfuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 07:26 PM   #58
JimB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,812
Likes (Received): 7336

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadiumfuture
Why are an architect company lieing about this facts. In the first option they have an plan to build an stadium for 75.000, but ernest walker (uefa) was against this plan. Only the 4 arches are reduced to 74 meter, and the total plan was the same structure.

The facts for 65.000 was an method to continue the construction proces. As they have say 'we build an stadium for 75.000', than was this the end of this beautiful project. Ernest Walker is an insitute in fooball real estate. He can say stop the construction now.

Please believe me
Believe you? I'm sorry but I'm not sure that I totally understand what you're trying to say.

Are you still insisting that the Stadio Da Luz has a capacity of 75,000? If so, why - when just about every mention of the stadium that I've ever heard (or read in a newspaper, magazine or website; or seen on TV) says that the capacity is 65,000? And why was the attendance for the European Championship final between Portugal and Greece only 63,000? And why was the attendance for last December's crucial final Champions' League group game between Manchester United and and Benfica only 61,000?

Face it. You're wrong. The capacity of Stadio Da Luz is 65,000.

Apologies if I misunderstood your post and that you were, in fact, conceding that you were wrong!
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 08:08 PM   #59
stadiumfuture
stadiumfuture
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 376
Likes (Received): 5

JimB:
Listen to me,
Luz has overall 14 rows more than emirates stadium. +/- 1 row = 1.000 seats.
Or Emirates stadium is smaller or Luz is bigger.
Look only to the low corner and you see the result.
stadiumfuture no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 09:08 PM   #60
JimB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 11,812
Likes (Received): 7336

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadiumfuture
JimB:
Listen to me,
Luz has overall 14 rows more than emirates stadium. +/- 1 row = 1.000 seats.
Or Emirates stadium is smaller or Luz is bigger.
Look only to the low corner and you see the result.
Emirates is smaller. When finished, its capacity will be 60,000. That's 5,000 less than Da Luz.

But please stop trying to convince everyone that Da Luz has a capacity of 75,000. Every single other reliable source on this subject says that the capacity of Da Luz is 65,000.

Do you really think you are right and everyone else in the world is wrong?
JimB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 


Reply

Tags
lisbon

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LISBON - Estádio José Alvalade (50,095) Paulo2004 Completed 269 September 4th, 2018 11:52 AM
Welcome to Lisbon Barragon Imagens 9 March 11th, 2008 08:07 PM
Lisbon CBD I checco24 Cityscapes and Skyline Photos 14 April 18th, 2007 01:26 AM
Lisbon CBD III checco24 Cityscapes and Skyline Photos 7 March 25th, 2007 11:34 PM
Lisbon from Air Cidade_Branca Cityscapes and Skyline Photos 10 March 7th, 2006 08:41 PM


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us