#Cape Town International Airport - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Economy, Infrastructure and Transportation > Transport and Infrastructure

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 6th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #81
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 95

image hosted on flickr
Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 7th, 2007, 04:10 PM   #82
annman
Annman

Likes (Received): 818

Thanks for the pics Mo. I wonder what they're going to do here at International Arrivals/Departures with that curved canopy now that we're going to have a double road system? I wonder if that drop off area is effected or how the're going to do the entire thing... I think I'm rambling, it's just an exciting project . I'll be there on the 10th of December... yeah Me!!!
annman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #83
crazyloca

Likes (Received): 0

Planes going off runways, engines falling off... CTIA has had a rough year so far!.....

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_A...216890,00.html
crazyloca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 7th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #84
Umhlanga
Umhlanga

Quote:
Originally Posted by annman View Post
Thanks for the pics Mo. I wonder what they're going to do here at International Arrivals/Departures with that curved canopy now that we're going to have a double road system?
Surely the curved canopy will go. Even if it won't be in the path of the departures-level roadway, it will be redundant. The new departures drop-off area will have a canopy, but the designs show a flat canopy, not a curved one.
Umhlanga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 04:54 PM   #85
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyloca View Post
Planes going off runways, engines falling off... CTIA has had a rough year so far!.....

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_A...216890,00.html
yeah. and the worlds best airport in africa for 2007, breaking the 8 million barrier.tough times i tell u.
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #86
Mo Rush

14 Nov 2007 : Cape Town airport upgrade continues

The upgrade of Cape Town International airport is continuing apace. A R375-million contract has been awarded to building contractors Grinaker-LTA and Stocks Building Africa, for the construction of a new multi-storey parkade at the airport.

The joint venture is currently undertaking a R664-million contract to build a new integrated terminal that’s scheduled for completion in December 2009. The location of the two sites just 1.5m apart will create some challenges, especially during the installation of the precast wall units and the roof, notes Neil Potgieter, managing director of Grinaker-LTA Building Cape, which is the lead partner on the parkade project. “The interface between these two projects will require excellent co-ordination, and it’s most fortunate that the joint venture is completing both of them.” The contractors are also contending with the additional challenges posed by working at an operational airport, he adds.

Job creation and training is an important element of the construction project, and the joint venture has undertaken to provide on-site training for the previously disadvantaged individuals employed, and has also committed to achieving stringent “Preferential Procurement” targets - all of which will be audited by the client, The Airports Company South Africa (ACSA).

“There are also rigorous health, safety, and environmental requirements, based on ACSA’s policies,” Potgieter states. “These will also be audited by their representatives on site.”

The new five-storey parkade, which includes lifts, escalators and ablution facilities, is some 132 155 m2 in size. It will consist of a concrete structure on piled foundations with post tensioned slabs. It will feature a structural steel roof construction with “Klip-lok” roof sheeting, as well as numerous decorative precast wall panels.

The Grinaker-LTA Stocks Africa joint venture has commenced the project with the erection of hoardings and temporary fencing. This will be followed by demolition, piling and diversions and alterations to the underground services to prepare the site for the parkade construction, which includes all associated civil works and road works.

The parkade is schedule for completion in August 2009.

Grinaker-LTA Building is part of the JSE-listed Aveng Group.
Old November 15th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #87
crazyloca

A few random cell phone pics whilst waiting for flights. The traffic today was unbelievable - backed up outside the airport half way to the N2!! If you're flying from CTIA, make sure you arrive early.....
Old November 15th, 2007, 09:02 PM   #88
crazyloca

HELP! How do I get the administrator to allow me to post attachments???...
Old November 16th, 2007, 12:20 AM   #89
Mo Rush

Quote:
attachments or images?
Old November 18th, 2007, 08:23 PM   #90
crazyloca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
attachments or images?
Images I presume - just a couple jpg pictures...
(sorry I haven't figured this kind of stuff out myself already - hoping this is one of those 'teach a man to fish' kind of things...!)
Old November 18th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #91
Lydon

Likes (Received): 6372

are they on your computer or a website?
Old November 18th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #92
Mo Rush

Quote:
www.photobucket.com, sign up and upload images. then copy the text given to you as a link. you will be given four links. use the fourth link beneath the image. or just open the image once uploaded, copy its location and click on the yellow button when posting images or posting and just copy the url into that box.
Old November 20th, 2007, 06:41 PM   #93
crazyloca

Thanks for the help Mo & Lydon. Photobucket doing maintenance at the moment but will get onto it as soon as they're up and running again. Always nice to learn something new... THANKS!
Old November 28th, 2007, 05:15 PM   #94
crazyloca

Old November 28th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #95
crazyloca

Thanks Mo. Finally photobucket started cooperating. Always good to learn something new!...

Old November 28th, 2007, 06:24 PM   #96
annman
Annman

Likes (Received): 818

Thanks Crazyloca, looks like it's progressing well. Hoping to get some pics too when I land in Cape Town in 10 days... I cannot wait to finally be moving home!
annman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #97
Mo Rush

WOW! one can actually clearly see the elevated road design.!
Old November 28th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #98
crazyloca

Actually those are already 10 days old since I was having issues with photobucket - will update them when I go through CTIA again in 2 weeks...
Old December 6th, 2007, 12:01 AM   #99
Mo Rush

WOW

Last edited by Mo Rush; December 6th, 2007 at 12:25 AM.
Old December 6th, 2007, 09:41 AM   #100
Caisson Boy
Karoo Prime

Likes (Received): 140

Looks impressive....

LOL, the font on the South African plane is all wrong... plus, SAA is getting rid of all its 747s.... Sometimes these people just don't think!!!
Advertisement

Tags
airport, cape town