Collar Site | Etihad Campus - Page 167 - SkyscraperCity
 

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.


Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old November 19th, 2018, 07:58 PM   #3321
MostonMark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 22
Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
I was thinking short-term stadium redevelopment. South stand and North stand. When the North Stand is completed we will have a redeveloped and completed stadium. Of course the East and West stands can be redeveloped, but I donít see that in the near future. I think thatís a long-term goal for the club if it continues to be successful on and off the pitch.

Like the vast majority of City fans all I want to see is a proper home stand and end. As it is we have a family stand and a home/away split stand.
An extended North Stand won't become the new home end JRB, will create too many issues including moving whole families to other areas of the stadium. I'd be very surprised if the Club have suggested this.
MostonMark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old November 19th, 2018, 09:12 PM   #3322
JBGee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 2,063
Likes (Received): 2202

Great news this, even though Iím a Utd fan Iím proud of this city obviously (not that City haha)

But would be great to have the two largest club stadiums in this country. Also would love to see the CL final hosted here again soon!
__________________

Lozzaboy liked this post
JBGee está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2018, 09:35 PM   #3323
jrb
10th February 2008
 
jrb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Manchester
Posts: 52,832
Likes (Received): 53128

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostonMark View Post
An extended North Stand won't become the new home end JRB, will create too many issues including moving whole families to other areas of the stadium. I'd be very surprised if the Club have suggested this.
It will.

The lower tier will be safe standing.

The club is looking at options to relocate the family stand.

1894 have asked to have the blocks behind the goal.
__________________

Schooner, DiscoSteve liked this post
jrb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old November 20th, 2018, 08:30 AM   #3324
LEXSTARproject
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 58
Likes (Received): 22

Is that what people would like to see the Collar site turn into , a all week destination with hotel, designer outlet,box park,cinema land a live concert hall. Here is what they done at Wembley https://youtu.be/1DRPz8dsI9A.
LEXSTARproject no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2018, 09:19 AM   #3325
jrb
10th February 2008
 
jrb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Manchester
Posts: 52,832
Likes (Received): 53128

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXSTARproject View Post
Is that what people would like to see the Collar site turn into , a all week destination with hotel, designer outlet,box park,cinema land a live concert hall. Here is what they done at Wembley https://youtu.be/1DRPz8dsI9A.
The Collar site has always been the location for the proposed leisure destination. There's a massing cgi showing a lesiure destination/building wrapping itself around the stadium. It's probably still floating around the interweb somewhere. It's the perfect location. Next to the stadium, the junction on Alan Turing Way, and the bridge.
jrb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2018, 07:51 PM   #3326
MostonMark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 22
Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
It will.

The lower tier will be safe standing.

The club is looking at options to relocate the family stand.

1894 have asked to have the blocks behind the goal.

I suspect you were told that second hand by someone misinterpreting what was said in focus group meeting. Look at it logically, where would the Club relocate THOUSANDS of families. My understanding of the focus meting was it was run by consultants and not the Club. Happy to be corrected on that though but stand by my opinion that an extended North Stand will not be the new home end.
MostonMark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2018, 07:55 PM   #3327
symmetry
Registered User
 
symmetry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,233
Likes (Received): 1322

Re-jigging a few seats isn't rocket science. Why does everyone think it's an impossible task?

City need a noisy home stand and this would be the only logical location.
symmetry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2018, 08:33 PM   #3328
MostonMark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 22
Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by symmetry View Post
Re-jigging a few seats isn't rocket science. Why does everyone think it's an impossible task?

City need a noisy home stand and this would be the only logical location.

The South Stand is the only logical choice. If, and its a big if, the extended North Stand became the new home end then it would need the entire lower tier of the South Stand and the corner of East Stand to relocate into it. That would then be the only option to create enough space for entire families to relocate out of the North Stand. As a result it would mean women and children sitting next to the away supporters and I doubt the Club would agree to that. Any sensible suggestions about where families could relocate would be diminished by the shear number of supporters involved.
MostonMark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2018, 09:16 PM   #3329
jrb
10th February 2008
 
jrb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Manchester
Posts: 52,832
Likes (Received): 53128

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostonMark View Post
The South Stand is the only logical choice. If, and its a big if, the extended North Stand became the new home end then it would need the entire lower tier of the South Stand and the corner of East Stand to relocate into it. That would then be the only option to create enough space for entire families to relocate out of the North Stand. As a result it would mean women and children sitting next to the away supporters and I doubt the Club would agree to that. Any sensible suggestions about where families could relocate would be diminished by the shear number of supporters involved.
Does anyone really know how many City fans make up the Family stand? It’s safe to say it’s not the whole lower tier. A lot of those NS seats are put aside for staff, schools, community groups, matchday sales, etc. It’s the stand and tier with the most empty seats, especially during midweek games. If a ‘proper’ home end is to be made, then there is no other option but to move the family stand. There will be enough empty seats or available blocks when everyone decamps into the NS to accommodate the family stand in another part of the ground. And don’t forget, 1000’s of City fans who had sat in the NS since the move from Maine Road where moved and forced out of the of the NS to make way for the family stand. If City have to do something similar to the family stand to create a proper home end, that every City fan wants, they will do that. The Family stand cannot stand in that way of progress, but it can be accommodated within that progress. It will happen.

Last edited by jrb; November 21st, 2018 at 09:23 PM.
jrb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2018, 09:44 PM   #3330
MostonMark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 22
Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
Does anyone really know how many City fans make up the Family stand? Itís safe to say itís not the whole lower tier. A lot of those NS seats are put aside for staff, schools, community groups, matchday sales, etc. Itís the stand and tier with the most empty seats, especially during midweek games. If a Ďproperí home end is to be made, then there is no other option but to move the family stand. There will be enough empty seats or available blocks when everyone decamps into the NS to accommodate the family stand in another part of the ground. And donít forget, 1000ís of City fans who had sat in the NS since the move from Maine Road where moved and forced out of the of the NS to make way for the family stand. If City have to do something similar to the family stand to create a proper home end, that every City fan wants, they will do that. The Family stand cannot stand in that way of progress, but it can be accommodated within that progress. It will happen.

I understand your arguments on this JRB. I sit in North Stand level 2 and there are hundreds of families sat around me. Its even worse in level 1, there are thousands. I can tell you through experience some of the reasons why there are no shows on matchdays and its mainly around kids, especially lads, playing sports at all times of the day, dads working shifts etc. I understand supporters desire for a Dortmund style end but all the noise at the moment seems to be coming from snippets discussed at a fans forum. As far as I know the Club haven't agreed to anything. Just consider this, the Club have a vested interest in supporters of the future and would they really want to jeopardise this by upsetting thousands of fans/families in the hope they could accommodate everyone in a mass relocation exercise. As I have said before it would be a PR disaster and could potentially alienate the fans of the future. Just a thought.
MostonMark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2018, 10:46 PM   #3331
jrb
10th February 2008
 
jrb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Manchester
Posts: 52,832
Likes (Received): 53128

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostonMark View Post
I understand your arguments on this JRB. I sit in North Stand level 2 and there are hundreds of families sat around me. Its even worse in level 1, there are thousands. I can tell you through experience some of the reasons why there are no shows on matchdays and its mainly around kids, especially lads, playing sports at all times of the day, dads working shifts etc. I understand supporters desire for a Dortmund style end but all the noise at the moment seems to be coming from snippets discussed at a fans forum. As far as I know the Club haven't agreed to anything. Just consider this, the Club have a vested interest in supporters of the future and would they really want to jeopardise this by upsetting thousands of fans/families in the hope they could accommodate everyone in a mass relocation exercise. As I have said before it would be a PR disaster and could potentially alienate the fans of the future. Just a thought.
I fully appreciate that, Mark. And your views on the proposal.

When the family stand was created 1000ís of City fans were upset and angry when they were forced to move out of the NS. But now most of them probably donít give it a 2nd thought anymore. They are probably happy with where they are sat now. Dare I say that will be the case for the family stand in the future, if it is moved to another part of the ground?

I think an ideal solution would be to put the family stand at the front of a
much larger NS 2 tier above the safe standing level 1. The families would have a great view, and the kids would be above a new singing section, meaning they would be able to join in with the chants, and would get an early taster of what the singing section is like.
__________________

LEXSTARproject liked this post
jrb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2018, 08:33 AM   #3332
LEXSTARproject
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 58
Likes (Received): 22

Is what people would like see the Collar Site look like , here is Wembley will look in a couple of years with events arena,cinema,hotel,shops,flats,designer outlet shopping and bars.

https://youtu.be/1DRPz8dsI9A
LEXSTARproject no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2018, 08:35 AM   #3333
LEXSTARproject
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 58
Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXSTARproject View Post
Is what people would like see the Collar Site look like , here is Wembley will look in a couple of years with events arena,cinema,hotel,shops,flats,designer outlet shopping and bars.

https://youtu.be/1DRPz8dsI9A


What do you think ?
LEXSTARproject no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2018, 01:04 AM   #3334
LEXSTARproject
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 58
Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
I fully appreciate that, Mark. And your views on the proposal.



When the family stand was created 1000ís of City fans were upset and angry when they were forced to move out of the NS. But now most of them probably donít give it a 2nd thought anymore. They are probably happy with where they are sat now. Dare I say that will be the case for the family stand in the future, if it is moved to another part of the ground?



I think an ideal solution would be to put the family stand at the front of a

much larger NS 2 tier above the safe standing level 1. The families would have a great view, and the kids would be above a new singing section, meaning they would be able to join in with the chants, and would get an early taster of what the singing section is like.


JRB is right , I would personally make the new North Stand lower tier a safe standing section for 1894 group and ultra fans. As a club we need to look what been successful at other clubs , Liverpool the Kop, Dortmund Yellow Wall, a lot of MLS clubs have copied the Dortmund wall with Orlando and LAFC copying this famous stand with a steep safe standing section, like what we did with Etihad Campus we look everywhere for ideas to make the stadium amazing place to watch football but also a place where team donít like to come because of the atmosphere. The New North Stand should be called the Kippax and feature a safe standing section followed a massive two tier stand which at it core should be about making noise , bring in a city band just like they do at the womanís games,the stand should be about the cheapest ticket no executive boxes
LEXSTARproject no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2018, 09:21 PM   #3335
MostonMark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 22
Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXSTARproject View Post
JRB is right , I would personally make the new North Stand lower tier a safe standing section for 1894 group and ultra fans. As a club we need to look what been successful at other clubs , Liverpool the Kop, Dortmund Yellow Wall, a lot of MLS clubs have copied the Dortmund wall with Orlando and LAFC copying this famous stand with a steep safe standing section, like what we did with Etihad Campus we look everywhere for ideas to make the stadium amazing place to watch football but also a place where team donít like to come because of the atmosphere. The New North Stand should be called the Kippax and feature a safe standing section followed a massive two tier stand which at it core should be about making noise , bring in a city band just like they do at the womanís games,the stand should be about the cheapest ticket no executive boxes

My understanding of what supporters want is a single tier Dortmund style end. If that is going to be revised down to safe standing in North Stand level 1 I doubt that will suffice a lot on here. You may as well do that in South Stand level 1 where the vast majority stand all match anyway. This is the trouble with the focus meetings going on at the moment. Individuals with the best intentions purporting to represent what the vast majority want. Whereas in reality that isn't the case. Believe me I've sat on too many of these forums and fully understand how they work and this is one of the reasons why the Club are using a consultancy firm so they can keep an arms distance away whilst supporters think its the Club they are talking to. I feel some sympathy for those who attend as they probably feel a sense of purpose but I fear there will be some very upset supporters at the end of all this. Trying not to be too negative but there isn't a simple way forward on this and my best guess is it will become to difficult for the Club to manage supporters expectations going forward.
MostonMark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2018, 01:05 AM   #3336
LEXSTARproject
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 58
Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
The Collar site has always been the location for the proposed leisure destination. There's a massing cgi showing a lesiure destination/building wrapping itself around the stadium. It's probably still floating around the interweb somewhere. It's the perfect location. Next to the stadium, the junction on Alan Turing Way, and the bridge.


Please post JRb
LEXSTARproject no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2018, 01:49 AM   #3337
AJD1984
Geek (of many things)
 
AJD1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 14,320
Likes (Received): 22675



These are proposals post super casino competition for a hotel, casino and more leisure on the collar site. Architect, Sheppard Robson. It was always a pie in the sky proposal (super casino).





Quote:
The project is a leisure development under the New East Manchester initiative competition, adjacent to the Manchester City Stadium. Sun International commissioned Sheppard Robson to develop a masterplan proposal for the site centred on a casino and hotel with supporting sports driven developments.

The existing canal is used to define the casino-hotel realm to its north as a distinct zone within the masterplan. The building houses a world class casino, providing 1250 slots and 40 tables. The entrance is through a dramatic glazed boulevard that is adjacent to a new canal basin and opens onto a canal-side public plaza. The boulevard or ‘precinct’ will provide a variety of open restaurants and retail outlets.

On upper levels the signature hotel provides over 150 rooms from three to five star standard, with an extensive banqueting, conference, entertainment level and hotel reception. These facilities can be reached by glazed lifts or via cascading escalators that connect the terraced floors and allow spectacular views out to the Sport City Campus and city centre.
AJD1984 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2018, 09:00 AM   #3338
jrb
10th February 2008
 
jrb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Manchester
Posts: 52,832
Likes (Received): 53128

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXSTARproject View Post
Please post JRb
It's posted on.this thread somewhere. I'll try and find it. It's been.posted on BM as well. It's just a basic massing cgi of the Etihad Campus site. The stadium has 2, 3 tiers, at each end.
__________________

LEXSTARproject liked this post
jrb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2018, 03:50 PM   #3339
jrb
10th February 2008
 
jrb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Manchester
Posts: 52,832
Likes (Received): 53128

Add another tier on to the NS. Mighty impressive.

Flickr.

LeamDavid

Manchester City v Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukraine) - Champions League (62) - panoramic

__________________

Berlin Manc, High-Fi liked this post
jrb está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2018, 11:10 PM   #3340
DiscoSteve
IT City Planner
 
DiscoSteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Stockport SK6
Posts: 4,204
Likes (Received): 2248

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
It's posted on.this thread somewhere. I'll try and find it. It's been.posted on BM as well. It's just a basic massing cgi of the Etihad Campus site. The stadium has 2, 3 tiers, at each end.
not this one then?

http://www.stevenicklin.com/images/c...ollar-site.png

no idea where this came from sorry
__________________
Steve N | Click here or scan my QR code avatar to support the A6-M60 SEMMMS route | Click here for scheduled tram locations right now <<< NOW RUNNING AGAIN WITH NEW LINE NUMBERS
DiscoSteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Super Casino Proposals cardiff Projects and Construction 18 November 10th, 2008 10:31 PM
Super Casino: For and Against murdomac Glasgow Metro Area 104 July 31st, 2007 12:54 PM
Super Casino SoundMan The Lunar Society 39 February 1st, 2007 11:24 AM
Birmingham 'Super Casino'? ROYAL BLUE Birmingham Metro Area 339 August 2nd, 2006 11:15 PM


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us