Chennai | Chennai International Airport | MAA - Page 5 - SkyscraperCity
 

forums map | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > Infrastructure & Transportation > Aviation and Airports


Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old January 6th, 2008, 12:06 PM   #81
p2p4
Registered User
 
p2p4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: HK
Posts: 3,152
Likes (Received): 2124

Sammy - this your suggestion is exactly what I had in mind in my previous post. They could just extend the whole design to the left - in phases that you propose. I too , like you, do not see any point in keeping the old 'bus stands'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2p4 View Post
This is my proposal to integrate Chennai Airport's different sections into one. It doesnt make sense just to have one different structure whilst the other crumbling ones are let to stay. They could build this modern dosa first and as and when it is ready, start building on the other sections (extend it).

Cheers
p2p4

p2p4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old January 6th, 2008, 02:20 PM   #82
bobbie501
World Entertainer.
 
bobbie501's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hyderabad/Vizag,AP,Chicago,IL
Posts: 1,872
Likes (Received): 60

This Would Be Some Kinda Better Option But How Could The Concerned Authorities Dismantle The Existing Structure Which Could Create A Mess Situation For The Passengers Boarding From The Existing Terminal Buildings.
__________________
"When I Don't Make Any Decision,It's Not That I Don't Think About It.I Think About It & Make A Decision Not To Make A Decision"-P.V.N.R

"Time itself is the solution to all problems." -P.V.N.R
bobbie501 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 05:40 PM   #83
sammyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,152
Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2p4 View Post
Sammy - this your suggestion is exactly what I had in mind in my previous post. They could just extend the whole design to the left - in phases that you propose. I too , like you, do not see any point in keeping the old 'bus stands'.
Oops, how did I manage to miss that? Great minds think alike I guess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbie501 View Post
This Would Be Some Kinda Better Option But How Could The Concerned Authorities Dismantle The Existing Structure Which Could Create A Mess Situation For The Passengers Boarding From The Existing Terminal Buildings.
It wouldn't be a mess. They would dismantle the older ones only after the new one is complete and then move all operations to it.
sammyk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old January 7th, 2008, 06:39 AM   #84
p2p4
Registered User
 
p2p4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: HK
Posts: 3,152
Likes (Received): 2124

Bobbie - do read Sammy's earlier suggestion. It does make sense if the AAI has the balls to prevail on a phase wise demolition and construction. Such phases have been done before (Tianjin as one example) and if planned properly, a "mess" is almost nil.

IT all depends on how the AAI thinks and plans ahead for Chennai Int'l.

Cheers
P2P4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbie501 View Post
This Would Be Some Kinda Better Option But How Could The Concerned Authorities Dismantle The Existing Structure Which Could Create A Mess Situation For The Passengers Boarding From The Existing Terminal Buildings.
p2p4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 06:54 PM   #85
metalfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 231
Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by p2p4 View Post
IT all depends on how the AAI thinks and plans ahead for Chennai Int'l.
AAI "thinking" and "planning" ? Sounds like an oxymoron to me !!!

- K
metalfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 07:13 PM   #86
Sridhar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,499
Likes (Received): 8

The main constraint is not going to be terminal capacity per se, but inadequate boarding gates. That is not solved by the above plan.

A much better option would be to utilize the space between the current primary runway and the planned parallel runway for a new integrated terminal. It would provide adequate space for future expansion. There is enough space to build a terminal of the scale of Delhi's T3. And it can be built without affecting operations at the existing terminal. A short link to NH45 can be built quite easily and with that, the new terminal would be a few minutes closer to the city than the existing one and would also avoid the short stretch of NH45 where it narrows significantly.

The one great benefit of the existing site is that the terminal is a couple of minutes walk from a suburban railway station. However, with the metro project underway, the airport terminal is directly going to be linked to the rail transport network in any case, making this point somewhat less important.

Overall, I think it is shortsighted to build this terminal, at least in its current form. Sammy's and p2p4's proposals are somewhat better than the current AAI plan, but will not provide a long-term solution. Its aim in any case is to improve aesthetics, since it does not really increase the number of gates significantly. Whereas the more pressing problem is going to be limitations on operational capacity and efficiency. Chennai will continue to have to use remote bays in both plans - AAIs and Sammy/p2p4's.
Sridhar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 10:39 PM   #87
Sridhar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,499
Likes (Received): 8

If they want to expand gate capacity at this site, they need to think about multiple concourses, rather than a linear design. But given the limited space between terminal and taxiway, it will still have its limitations. Perhaps 30-35 gates are feasible in this location. Beyond that, they would either need to acquire the private land on the south-western end of the airport, or to demolish some of the buildings on the north-eastern side of the terminal (belonging to Indian Airlines, Indian Oil, Indian Air Force, Meteorological Department and AAI itself) to allow for expansion.

The additional benefit of having a terminal between the two runways is that it minimizes runway crossings by taxiing aircraft, and hence increases runway capacity. With the current location, access to the new parallel runway will involve crossing the current primary runway.

In any case, this is all a theoretical discussion. AAI is going ahead with the terminal plan as is.
Sridhar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 01:44 AM   #88
Fusionist
unBANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,438
Likes (Received): 15

AAI also needs to think about integrating the proposed metro station within its plans btw.
Fusionist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 12:15 PM   #89
MrChennai
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar View Post
If they want to expand gate capacity at this site, they need to think about multiple concourses, rather than a linear design. But given the limited space between terminal and taxiway, it will still have its limitations. Perhaps 30-35 gates are feasible in this location. Beyond that, they would either need to acquire the private land on the south-western end of the airport, or to demolish some of the buildings on the north-eastern side of the terminal (belonging to Indian Airlines, Indian Oil, Indian Air Force, Meteorological Department and AAI itself) to allow for expansion.

The additional benefit of having a terminal between the two runways is that it minimizes runway crossings by taxiing aircraft, and hence increases runway capacity. With the current location, access to the new parallel runway will involve crossing the current primary runway.

In any case, this is all a theoretical discussion. AAI is going ahead with the terminal plan as is.

Hi All,
I am new to this forum and I find its very good forum interms of sharing the info about developments happening chennai and around.

It seems HYD and Banglore green field airports are ready to start. I don't know whats the status of our chennai aiport 'upgradation'. I expected upgredation will be done much earlier than constructing new airport. It seems my guess is wrong with respect to Chennai Airport.
Can any one of you pls update me about chennai airport upgrade status interms of new runway and other parts.

Thanks,
MrChennai no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #90
kannan infratech
Registered User
 
kannan infratech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: chennai
Posts: 10,628
Likes (Received): 13056

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sridhar View Post
If they want to expand gate capacity at this site, they need to think about multiple concourses, rather than a linear design. But given the limited space between terminal and taxiway, it will still have its limitations. Perhaps 30-35 gates are feasible in this location. Beyond that, they would either need to acquire the private land on the south-western end of the airport, or to demolish some of the buildings on the north-eastern side of the terminal (belonging to Indian Airlines, Indian Oil, Indian Air Force, Meteorological Department and AAI itself) to allow for expansion.

The additional benefit of having a terminal between the two runways is that it minimizes runway crossings by taxiing aircraft, and hence increases runway capacity. With the current location, access to the new parallel runway will involve crossing the current primary runway.

In any case, this is all a theoretical discussion. AAI is going ahead with the terminal plan as is.

Linear design wastes space. They should plan Spider (best) / at least Diagonal (better than linear) designs to increase the no of gates with the existing common area. Multi level gates (we have only 2 levels now) with staggered design (you can have 3 to 4 levels in double storey height with suitable escalators) may further increase the efficiency.

I feel that there is still a possibilty of having the terminal in between the runways, which will save quite a lot of taxiing time. A few underground tunnel s connecting the cityside entrance, metro station and Thirisulam station with escalators and other aids will solve the human and cargo traffic problem.

Out of the box approach may further throw more solutions, but AAI is known for sticking to the grand old designs (over design, to be precise). I always feel that Chennai airport has been installed with a A/C system which can take care of double the size. Proper Distribution and Building Management system have not been used, thusby wasting quite a lot of energy.

The counters for various airlines are incresing day by day and they are being located without any design or intent. Fire saftey rules have been blatantly violated. There are only 2 security check gates and it is chaos in the early mornings. (but Chennai is still better than Bangalore)
kannan infratech no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 02:36 PM   #91
sudheeshnairs
Registered User
 
sudheeshnairs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Trivandrum/Bangalore
Posts: 8,822
Likes (Received): 41

.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan infratech View Post
The counters for various airlines are incresing day by day and they are being located without any design or intent. Fire saftey rules have been blatantly violated. There are only 2 security check gates and it is chaos in the early mornings. (but Chennai is still better than Bangalore)
You are talking about the domestic terminal, isn't it?. Yes, not even in the morning, afternoon also it is having much rush.



Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan infratech View Post
I always feel that Chennai airport has been installed with a A/C system which can take care of double the size. Proper Distribution and Building Management system have not been used, thusby wasting quite a lot of energy.
Is it really? I was standing in the queue here, it was really hot (afternoon). I was wearing a suit and was sweating inside.
sudheeshnairs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 06:51 PM   #92
vamsireddy
In ROM
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Local
Posts: 213
Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheeshnairs View Post
.
Is it really? I was standing in the queue here, it was really hot (afternoon). I was wearing a suit and was sweating inside.
There is a way to protest and cool ourselves lil bit in that situation- like these dudes
__________________
జిహ్వాగ్రే వర్తతే లక్ష్మీః జిహ్వాగ్రే మిత్ర బాన్ధవాః | jihvāgre vartate lakṣmīḥ jihvāgre mitra bāndhavāḥ |
జిహ్వాగ్రే బన్ధనం ప్రాప్తి జిహ్వాగ్రే మరణం ధృవమ్ || jihvāgre bandhanaṃ prāpti jihvāgre maraṇaṃ dhṛuvam ||

Last edited by vamsireddy; January 9th, 2008 at 07:32 PM.
vamsireddy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 06:11 PM   #93
metalfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 231
Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan infratech View Post
AAI is known for sticking to the grand old designs (over design, to be precise). I always feel that Chennai airport has been installed with a A/C system which can take care of double the size. Proper Distribution and Building Management system have not been used, thusby wasting quite a lot of energy.

The counters for various airlines are incresing day by day and they are being located without any design or intent. Fire saftey rules have been blatantly violated. There are only 2 security check gates and it is chaos in the early mornings. (but Chennai is still better than Bangalore)

Kannan.. why on earth does AAI stick to archaic concepts ? Hasn't anyone in AAI ever visited terminals in Europe or the US ? Why can't we make more effective use of space ? Is this basically someone high up in the totem pole basically saying that we need to have a linear design and basically shutting the door on innovation ?

- K
metalfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #94
Fusionist
unBANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,438
Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfan View Post
Why can't we make more effective use of space ? Is this basically someone high up in the totem pole basically saying that we need to have a linear design and basically shutting the door on innovation ?

- K
I am no expert, but I think the answer is 'yes'

now that was not an helpful answer was it ?
Fusionist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 04:10 AM   #95
p2p4
Registered User
 
p2p4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: HK
Posts: 3,152
Likes (Received): 2124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusionist View Post
I am no expert, but I think the answer is 'yes'

now that was not an helpful answer was it ?
Ermmm... when someone mentions 'linear designs', the phrase 'lack of lateral thinking' comes to mind when it comes to AAI. Having said that, I am sure, with increased competition, they too will embark on bold designs in the coming future. Just look at the renderings for the new Chennai Terminal. Marked improvement I say.

Hopefully
p2p4
p2p4 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2008, 08:52 AM   #96
kannan infratech
Registered User
 
kannan infratech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: chennai
Posts: 10,628
Likes (Received): 13056

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheeshnairs View Post
.

You are talking about the domestic terminal, isn't it?. Yes, not even in the morning, afternoon also it is having much rush.





Is it really? I was standing in the queue here, it was really hot (afternoon). I was wearing a suit and was sweating inside.
I was referring to domestic only. Precisely my point. There are more no of people in the passenger area - pre and post check in and we need more circulation there. The corridors, aero bridges, arrival lounge and visitors area (they do not allow visitors frequently due to terror threat), ticket booking booths area do not require so much of circulation. If BMS is installed, it will sense the heat in each zone and activate the blowers and the compressors according to the need, thusby effectively using the energy. Even the Security check area, the width is so narrow that all the queues converge.

The international terminal has been improved now with more desks for immigration clearing but still lots can be done..
kannan infratech no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 12:55 AM   #97
metalfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 231
Likes (Received): 35

I just wish someone with half-a-brain in AAI can look at the current airport blueprint and see how bad it is.

- K
metalfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 03:11 AM   #98
LondonLASanFrancisco
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 14
Likes (Received): 0

Construction update of the Kochi Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium

Hi Sudeesh,
Can post any updates for the Kochi Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium roof construction activity and any further updates upon the same as I believe the work started in the end Oct 2007. You can send those on th Sports Infrastructure Thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheeshnairs View Post
.

You are talking about the domestic terminal, isn't it?. Yes, not even in the morning, afternoon also it is having much rush.





Is it really? I was standing in the queue here, it was really hot (afternoon). I was wearing a suit and was sweating inside.
LondonLASanFrancisco no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 08:31 AM   #99
Tron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 348
Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan infratech View Post
Linear design wastes space. They should plan Spider (best) / at least Diagonal (better than linear) designs to increase the no of gates with the existing common area. Multi level gates (we have only 2 levels now) with staggered design (you can have 3 to 4 levels in double storey height with suitable escalators) may further increase the efficiency.

I feel that there is still a possibilty of having the terminal in between the runways, which will save quite a lot of taxiing time. A few underground tunnel s connecting the cityside entrance, metro station and Thirisulam station with escalators and other aids will solve the human and cargo traffic problem.

Out of the box approach may further throw more solutions, but AAI is known for sticking to the grand old designs (over design, to be precise). I always feel that Chennai airport has been installed with a A/C system which can take care of double the size. Proper Distribution and Building Management system have not been used, thusby wasting quite a lot of energy.

The counters for various airlines are incresing day by day and they are being located without any design or intent. Fire saftey rules have been blatantly violated. There are only 2 security check gates and it is chaos in the early mornings. (but Chennai is still better than Bangalore)
The hand and finger terminal design actually reduces the speed of plane movement. So, many airports are moving to a multiple parallel terminals model where planes enter from one side and exit on the other side. This speeds up aircraft movement on the ground, and you essentially end up with one-way taxiways - especially with parallel runways on either side of the the rows of terminals. Many new airports are switching to this design, even those that had hand and fingers design are now moving to this design for their expansions. Just as a disclaimer, I'm not sure whether you mean the hand and fingers model by a spider model.

Take a look at Atlanta airport for instance. Here's a Google satellite map. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...&t=h&z=15&om=0

In this picture, if all the taking off flights leave towards the south runway and all landing planes arrive from the north, with the several parallel terminals in between, it speeds up aircraft movement a lot. They can even use the same runway for take-offs and landings. This is done by having two taxiways in between a pair of terminals - one for north-to-south movement and another for south-to-north movement.

The main terminal is at one end, and it has all the passenger check-in facilities. An underground walkway and a train connect the terminals. The train and the walkway run side by side, so it's easy to get on and off the train and walk on the walkway as you please.

Of course, Chennai will not have enough space to build this model unless they acquire land on the west side of the airport.
Tron no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 03:30 PM   #100
Anniyan
Nocturnal...!!!!
 
Anniyan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 5,732
Likes (Received): 1657

another view

[IMG]http://i27.************/2pybxvk.jpg[/IMG]
Anniyan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 


Reply

Tags
airport, chennai, madras

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C.K.S. International Airport Terminal 2 Isan Projects & infrastructure / 工程和基礎設施 59 October 24th, 2005 04:29 PM
South's Best Airport Terminal BhamDKH Southeast 26 July 27th, 2005 07:01 PM


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us